Disney and Amazon are fighting

I just ordered Dr Strange and Moana on Saturday from Amazon. Got Dr Strange yesterday. Moana is supposed to arrive Thursday. Since it was released about a month ago, I just figured stock was a little low after the first few weeks buying frenzy. Rogue One was just released today on blu-ray. When were you trying to buy it?

For a while Disney wasn't releasing movies on 3D Bluray in the US (Frozen I know for certain was not). It looks like they may be coming around on that, since Moana did get released on 3D Bluray.

Ok...I thought we were talking about those theatrical release nonsense from a few years ago that they tried with recuts...now replaced with live action nonsense

Just received an email, that Amazon is doing a contest to win a trip to Disneyland resort specifically for the opening of the new TOT ride, and the 10 grand prize winners get a behind the scenes tour of the new ride, special seating for shows, etc. Amazon clearly arranged for special treatment for 40 people, I don't know how much of a fight they are in any longer!

I buy almost all Disney Movies from Disney Club I just got a 3d movie even though I can't use it because it was just a few bucks extra. I would buy a Disney movie if I happen to pass one on sell somewhere else. I also shop on Amazon 70% of the time. I still shop Walmart, and other stores but Amazon is easy.

I know someone who works for Amazon pretty high up. Amazon's contract was up with Disney and Amazon wanted a bigger cut of the profits. Disney told them to suck it. Digital releases were still available since that's under a different agreement. This same thing happened in 2014, by the way, which is when Disney started releasing special editions with other companies like Target and Walmart to show Amazon that they would survive even without them... if people want Disney movies and they're not available through Amazon, they'll get them elsewhere. Amazon eventually caved (both times), and Blu-rays are now available through Amazon again.

From some of the rumors I have heard you have a mix of two things. Not only is it that Amazon wanted a bigger cut but it is also the fact that Disney is now releasing movies onto Netflix which is cutting into Amazon's profit margin.

From some of the rumors I have heard you have a mix of two things. Not only is it that Amazon wanted a bigger cut but it is also the fact that Disney is now releasing movies onto Netflix which is cutting into Amazon's profit margin.

Amazon certainly is peeved over Disney signing an agreement with Netflix, though they still have their own agreement with Disney Movies Anywhere. Amazon's percentage from streaming was always negligible compared to the profit from purchases (either digital or physical) but I'm sure it was still an added thorn in their side during contract renegotiations. More people use Netflix than Amazon Prime Videos for streaming though, so I'm not surprised that Disney signed with Netflix... it was the more logical decision, especially since Amazon's free streaming videos barely existed when the deal with Netflix was made. Heck, it still barely exists, for "free" (free to Prime) content anyway.

It's annoying, but not surprising. Amazon was in a YEARS long slapfight with Nintendo over how much of a cut they got from the sales of hardware (The Wii, Wii U and 3DS specifically). They were still selling games, but Amazon itself wasn't selling the hardware for year.

And these days, they don't sell ANY streaming devices other than their own. They removed Apple TV, Roku and Chromecast in order to push Fire TV

Amazon likes to sell at a loss until it eliminates the competition. I hope Disney puts it to them. Amazon is destroying more good American jobs than China and Mexico combined.

This IS STILL A THING.

Disney movies and Amazon do no mix. I had to order Mary Poppins Returns from Best Buy. I feel so dirty.

Amazon had a similar fight with Nintendo. You couldn't buy a new 3DS there for a very long time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter