**Disney After Hours - Magic Kingdom** FAQ & Discussion Thread

How is everyone doing their planning? Do you work on your plan, what parks you'll go to on which days and then change it if needed when new DAH are announced?

Do you try moving dining ADR?
Well I’m different because Dh and I can kind of go whenever and usually wait for dah to be announced but last year dah was added after we booked our trip. We did cancel some adrs and got rid of one of our park tickets in exchange for a dah ticket. If or when dah is added, you just have to make the decision which is more important to you.

Are people still getting FP's removed on other days when they book FP on the DAH nights?

Are people still getting FP's removed on other days when they book FP on the DAH nights?
I think it’s still a possibility. It’s one of those situations where you have to decide if the risk is worth it because it could happen

We had a ton of fun tonight! Started with Space Mountain right at 9, had about a 10 minute wait. Then we walked on to Buzz and the Astro Orbitor before going back to Space, which was a complete walk on at this point- so we rode it 3 times in a row. Then we got snacks and walked over to Fantasyland. The line for 7 Dwarfs was longer than I cared to wait, and so was Peter Pan, so we just did Winnie the Pooh and moved on. Then we basically walked onto Haunted Mansion, got more snacks, did the Tangled lantern photo (only waited about 10 minutes, if that) and headed to Big Thunder. They were only running one side so it ended up being about a 20 minute wait. A little annoying, but whatever. Then we walked onto Pirates, and rode it again, and then got snacks AGAIN before calling it a night :)

All in all it was a great time and I'd definitely do it again! If nothing else, it's amazing to have such low crowds, especially after a busy and crowded day. The snack distribution was much better than at AK's after hours, they had a lot more stands open which helped keep the lines down. I think I enjoyed both events about the same, the AK one was much slower paced wheras this one went by SO fast, but they were both great!

6pm entry tonight !

Last night was a 9-12 event. I’m curious what time guests will be allowed to enter on 3/21 because that’s a 10-1 event. Greedily I’m hoping it’s still around 6 because we’re going on 3/28 for 10-1 and getting in at 6 rather than 7 would be so awesome:tinker:Hoping for that Disney magic.

Was checking out wait times on MDE last night and, for a sold out event, wait times didn’t seem too bad and I only saw one ride down all night a brief closure of Pooh.

Last night was a 9-12 event. I’m curious what time guests will be allowed to enter on 3/21 because that’s a 10-1 event. Greedily I’m hoping it’s still around 6 because we’re going on 3/28 for 10-1 and getting in at 6 rather than 7 would be so awesome:tinker:Hoping for that Disney magic.

Was checking out wait times on MDE last night and, for a sold out event, wait times didn’t seem too bad and I only saw one ride down all night a brief closure of Pooh.
We are going 3/28 as well and I was watching wait times last night, too. It was nice to see nothing seemed overly busy with a sell out!

I went to a 10–1am event and they let us in around 6:30. I don’t think the starting hour matters.

Well, it’s Friday... obviously, no new dates were released this week. I have a trip planned for early May and was really hoping that they would open up some dates during that time but I’m thinking that if nothing opens up early next week, it’s probably a lost cause for my trip. Sending positive vibes though to those who have summer trips planned…hopefully Disney will offer dates during your vacations :).

O.K. , just going to put this out there ........
Went last Night (Sold out , 3/7) and this event was far from having that "empty" feeling . There were crowds everywhere . Not daytime crowds , but crowds none the less . If you think you are going to get empty main street pictures, or castle pictures, or even frontier-land "empty" pictures ......think again . Not at a sold out event at least . Not sure what the cap is for these events, but it is NOT 3000 people, or even 5000 . A half hour wait worth of guests at SDMT and BTM , plus TONS of other people all over the place , and in other line ques ,snack ques , bathrooms , etc, do not equate to low crowd capacity as advertised . Just a guess , but maybe 10,000 people is the limit right now ?

Big Thunder was disappointing with 25-30 minutes all night . With only one side of the train que open .....it never got to be anything close to walk on . We were able to walk on some rides , but it was a constant flow of people with full loads of ride vehicles everywhere . Towards the last hour or so , some of the rides started to lighten a little . Snack carts were pretty busy right up until the last hour as well . Jumped into the SDMT 1/2 hour cue right about 12 , and it seemed a lot of people had the exact same idea, as the line started to build in the last 15 minutes towards 12.
The 6pm entry , is I feel something they have to do at MK . There is literally no where to "stack" up the waiting DAH crowds as they build . Tons of people coming and going, and the DAH crowd line stuck right in the middle . Lots of people crossing through the line to get to the other side of the courtyard . The 6pm MK DAH entry is pretty much a necessity I think . It would be mayhem in the courtyard if they didn't allow early entry .
I dont know if Disney is starting to oversell these events now too (like every other event eventually) , but it was way more crowded than we thought there would be . Bathrooms were a bit crowded . Even the buses at the end of the event were packed .

The best thing I can relate, at least a sold out MK DAH event too, is to a late night EMH from back in the day . Like a late night EMH from 10-15 years ago is what it felt like.

For us, it was still ok as we are doing a basically non -park trip and only did Epcot for opening day of Flower and garden, and this DAH event for out MK day .

In the end , it was WAY less crowded than a normal MK day , but it was still more crowded than we though it would be . Not sure if its worth $125. ? We are DVC owners, so it was $95 for us which made it a little easier to swallow .

Still a little miffed about the BTM que with only one train side running . Heard a lot of people mumbling complaints about this one ! They should not have let this happen for the money people are spending for this special event. Just open both cues and keep the line moving !

Still worth it for us , as it full-filled our "MK" day for our trip . We got to ride everything we wanted to do basically , but it had a definite "rushed" feeling. 4 hours would be a little better .

Just our opinion on the event, to let other people know, NOT to expect these events (if they are sold out) , to be EMPTY . They are not !

Last edited:
Just our opinion on the event, to let other people NOT to expect these events (if they are sold out) , to be EMPTY . They are not !

Thanks for your report. I think Disney is doing what Disney does & what I was afraid would happen. Take a great event, get people hooked, then inch by inch, change things so they are not that great anymore. We were there Jan 30 last year & Feb 7 this year. I saw the difference in crowds between the 2. Last year, mine train had 15 - 20 minute waits. PP was 10- 15. This year mine train is 20-25, PP 20, & now BTM at 20-25? I might be alone in my thinking, but those kind of waits for a single ride during a 3 hour event is really pushing the limit. Yea, still less than a regular day. But with those time frames, when you include walking between attractions, stopping for a snack, etc, you may get only 7 - 8 rides in during the 3 hours. If you only get in 8 rides, that is $12 - 15 per ride, depending if you had a discounted ticket or not.

Yes, I know there are still things that are walk ons. But I wouldn’t be surprised if that changes & all rides start having waits as we go forward.

Last edited:
Sounds like they sent you RFID cards. They can usually be linked by code or scanning a QR code with the app. Maybe call Tickets at Work and inquire. Kinda weird they have a 2017 date on them.
Thanks I will have to check out the app. I did call Tickets at Work and they said the 2017 date was the date they received the cards from Disney and then they somehow attach the DAH Event to the card after I purchased it. Does that sound right? The lady seemed kinda miffed when I told her I was concerned and just checking. She said I should be able to go right to the gate and not guest services? Any idea if that is true? Thanks!

O.K. , just going to put this out there ........
Went last Night (Sold out , 3/7) and this event was far from having that "empty" feeling . There were crowds everywhere . Not daytime crowds , but crowds none the less . If you think you are going to get empty main street pictures, or castle pictures, or even frontier-land "empty" pictures ......think again . Not at a sold out event at least . Not sure what the cap is for these events, but it is NOT 3000 people, or even 5000 . A half hour wait worth of guests at SDMT and BTM , plus TONS of other people all over the place , and in other line ques ,snack ques , bathrooms , etc, do not equate to low crowd capacity as advertised . Just a guess , but maybe 10,000 people is the limit right now ?

Big Thunder was disappointing with 25-30 minutes all night . With only one side of the train que open .....it never got to be anything close to walk on . We were able to walk on some rides , but it was a constant flow of people with full loads of ride vehicles everywhere . Towards the last hour or so , some of the rides started to lighten a little . Snack carts were pretty busy right up until the last hour as well . Jumped into the SDMT 1/2 hour cue right about 12 , and it seemed a lot of people had the exact same idea, as the line started to build in the last 15 minutes towards 12.
The 6pm entry , is I feel something they have to do at MK . There is literally no where to "stack" up the waiting DAH crowds as they build . Tons of people coming and going, and the DAH crowd line stuck right in the middle . Lots of people crossing through the line to get to the other side of the courtyard . The 6pm MK DAH entry is pretty much a necessity I think . It would be mayhem in the courtyard if they didn't allow early entry .
I dont know if Disney is starting to oversell these events now too (like every other event eventually) , but it was way more crowded than we thought there would be . Bathrooms were a bit crowded . Even the buses at the end of the event were packed .

The best thing I can relate, at least a sold out MK DAH event too, is to a late night EMH from back in the day . Like a late night EMH from 10-15 years ago is what it felt like.

For us, it was still ok as we are doing a basically non -park trip and only did Epcot for opening day of Flower and garden, and this DAH event for out MK day .

In the end , it was WAY less crowded than a normal MK day , but it was still more crowded than we though it would be . Not sure if its worth $125. ? We are DVC owners, so it was $95 for us which made it a little easier to swallow .

Still a little miffed about the BTM que with only one train side running . Heard a lot of people mumbling complaints about this one ! They should not have let this happen for the money people are spending for this special event. Just open both cues and keep the line moving !

Still worth it for us , as it full-filled our "MK" day for our trip . We got to ride everything we wanted to do basically , but it had a definite "rushed" feeling. 4 hours would be a little better .

Just our opinion on the event, to let other people know, NOT to expect these events (if they are sold out) , to be EMPTY . They are not !

Oh no... this is what I have been afraid of. We have been wanting to go ever since they started these events but our DS was just too young. Now that he is 7 we thought that we would get these tickets during our June trip if they were available. It seems that there are more and more people saying how the crowds are getting bigger and bigger during DAH. However, every post seems to end with "but it was worth it to us." My fear is that Disney feels that people are accepting the crowds. I know that we went to our first/only MNSSHP about 3 years ago. The crowds were ridiculous and it felt like a "normal" day in the park. We decided that it wasn't worth it for us to go back and we would instead wait to go to DAH. I was really hoping that Disney wouldn't ruin what seemed like a perfect event but now I am super concerned.

If anyone has been to Discovery Cove in Orlando, that is what DAH should be like, only in a theme park. I realize DC has a small cap because of the size of the park, but there's no reason Disney shouldn't be capping this event to 3000 or even less. And well for not much more, when people can go to DC for a day and get free SW tickets... I think Disney should really be keeping this event as lightly crowded as possible.

I was there last night. Not impressed. Much prefered EMM last Sunday. Infact, when I came back last Sunday evening, with refreshing, had just as good a time with almost as many rides. Plus during EMM 7dwarves was walkon x4. I saw 35 minute wait for it last night! I waited a solid 10minutes for Pooh!!!

Sorry to hear that people aren't enjoying it as much. I'm going on the 28th, and I pretty much expect it not to be as cool as it was for us in June last year. But I don't think you can blame Disney too much for it -- it's a pretty natural progression for the place. You have to remember that Disney doesn't force a ticket on anyone, and it's people's demand that causes crowd. I'd prefer it to be capped at 50 people, as long as I'm one of the 50.

I'm also hopeful -- hopeful -- that a 10-1 session is less crowded than a 9-12 one. The later the better, but I'm not overly optimistic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter