**Disney After Hours - Magic Kingdom** FAQ & Discussion Thread

My SIL and I attended MK DAH on 12/10. It was pretty chilly - very glad I had a hat, gloves and a windproof lined shell on over my sweater. The bus going home read a temp of 41! Here's what we were able to accomplish.

Started the day with Boma breakfast buffet (highly recommend to anyone) before heading to AK. Stayed there until about 6:30 then took the bust over to MK. Had to wait about 25 minutes for a bus FYI.

Arrived at MK at 7:30 and used the special event entrance with about 2 groups in front of us and got the wristbands quickly. No lanyards this time. We had to actively seek out the event brochure they were not handing them out by default at that time.

We scored a same day FP for Jingle cruise at 7:40, then grabbed a pretzel and brought it to eat inside Columbia Harbor House for a break from the cold.

Grabbed a IASW FP at 8:10, then headed over to storybook circus for some shopping before our 8:50 Dumbo FP. Timed it so we watched the fireworks for 3 dumbo rides in a row (this was so awesome!!!) then finished watching the fireworks by Ariel's. This was a great spot if you don't need to see the projections it felt like you were right under the fireworks. We then walked onto Little Mermaid at 9:20 then headed for Pirates FP at 9:30. Our goal was to get as many of the longer rides out of the way before DAH so we could re-ride some of our faves later in the event. By that time we were about 10 minutes to the start of DAH, so we made our way over to Frontierland.

We waved at all (2) of the brave people riding Splash and went on big Thunder. It was a walk-on and both sides were still open. When we got off it was the start of DAH!!

10:01 - 10:10 - BTM
10:13 - 10:25 - HM
10:27 - walked by Tangled photo op and looked to be about 7 or 8 groups in line.
10:31 - 10:37 - PP. Was total walk on when we went, line looked to build a little to maybe 5 minute wait by the time we got off.
10:39 - 10:47 - 7DMT (only about 5 minutes to wait for next train to load slowly)

Here's where the magic happens. :earboy2:
10:54 - 11:42 - Space x8. We were able to use the back shortcut which helped us ride the 8 times in that 45 minute span. My brother and I set our family record of 7x in a row in September so of course my SIL and I needed to beat that. I did overhear another gentleman asking if he had to exit each time he rode and a cast member told him yes, so I'm guessing it is better to just use the shortcut and don't ask because your answer may vary by cast member. We also got to know a few awesome cast members pretty well by the end of the 8th ride and they were wondering if we knew other rides were open....LOL

10:45 - 11:55 - stop for water, ice cream and popcorn at Tomorrowland cart. Had to wait behind about 5 groups but it moved pretty fast. Longest wait of the night.

11:59 - 12:05 - Buzz
12:07 - 12:11 - Popcorn stop in front of castle and pictures
12:13 - 1:01 - 7DMT x7. Each time was a walk on, just took as long as you had to walk through the whole standby queue except for the very last ride at 12:57 where they let us walk the FP line.

We took our time on the way out taking picture of the castle and watching the kiss goodnight (1:15 and as we were walking out at 1:30). There were still plenty of photopass photographers out on main street, and it looked like the Emporium was still open for shopping. By this time buses were not crowded at all and only had to wait about 5 minutes before a bus showed up to POP with about 10 other people.

Great night all in all with 19 rides during the actual event, plus a few beforehand. We definitely didn't rush either and stopped for pictures and snacks and the whole event just felt relaxed and fun, despite the cold. Will definitely do this event again!

Last edited:
10:54 - 11:42 - Space x8. We were able to use the back shortcut which helped us ride the 8 times in that 45 minute span. My brother and I set our family record of 7x in a row in September so of course my SIL and I needed to beat that. I did overhear another gentleman asking if he had to exit each time he rode and a cast member told him yes, so I'm guessing it is better to just use the shortcut and don't ask because your answer may vary by cast member. We also got to know a few awesome cast members pretty well by the end of the 8th ride and they were wondering if we knew other rides were open....LOL

What/where is the Space back shortcut???

(Your night sounds like my boys' dream night, with some BTMRR thrown in!)

What/where is the Space back shortcut???

(Your night sounds like my boys' dream night, with some BTMRR thrown in!)
After you take in your ride photos, there will be a sign pointing to exit the ride to Tomorrowland. Go the opposite way of the exit sign/new exit ramp that just opened. There will be a short hallway that has an option to go either left or right at the end. We always went left because we like that side of SM better, but either way will take you to basically where the cars load. I think they may use this for rider switch or some other purpose as well, but it saved I'm guessing a good at least 5 if not 10 minutes of walking for each ride.

[
After you take in your ride photos, there will be a sign pointing to exit the ride to Tomorrowland. Go the opposite way of the exit sign/new exit ramp that just opened. There will be a short hallway that has an option to go either left or right at the end. We always went left because we like that side of SM better, but either way will take you to basically where the cars load. I think they may use this for rider switch or some other purpose as well, but it saved I'm guessing a good at least 5 if not 10 minutes of walking for each ride.

What an awesome tip! Thanks!!!

Thank you all who responded about taking young kids! We had planned on doing it in January, but you've actually all convinced me not to do it. With the cold, and the young kids it might just not be worth it. I was super excited about doing it, but maybe for an adults only trip or later on down the line!

Thank you all who responded about taking young kids! We had planned on doing it in January, but you've actually all convinced me not to do it. With the cold, and the young kids it might just not be worth it. I was super excited about doing it, but maybe for an adults only trip or later on down the line!

I was away for a few days and am behind on the thread so didn't catch your OP, but I probably would have said take them (easy for me to say not knowing the context I guess). I took DS when he was 6 one year and DD earlier this year when she was 4. I was fully prepared for the one with the 4 year old to be a bust and we'd leave early (I don't like to push my kids to hard... I go at their pace at Disney)... but let me tell you who was driving the train of staying until the end on that night... HER! :-)

Not sure of your situation but going with kids can definitely work for some.

FYI, I don't believe DAH is being offered on February 21. It's not available on the website, and also isn't listed on Touring Plans' list of DAH dates. At first I thought it might be sold out since that's Presidents' Week, but I called the special events number that someone posted here to call for a handful of dates (including February 21), and they confirmed that it's not being offered that night. Such a bummer. @detroitdad , I saw you listed in the Dis attendees for February 21. Were you able to book for that night? Am I missing something??

Yes I called the number and booked it. I have tickets loaded in my Disney Experience. I'll call back to confirm.

We will be at Animal Kingdom during the day (2/7). We don't have park hoppers. We have MK DAH tickets that night (8p-11p). We are planning to leave AK about 5:30 to head over to MK for a dinner reservation at Tony's (I know, I know - but gotta eat somewhere and I've read some good things from recent reports) at 6:45.

1. Is that enough time to get from AK to MK by Disney transport, or should we uber? and
2. Will they let us in for the dining reservation? It just occurred to me that we don't have hoppers, and recent reports are that DAH ticket holders are held until 7ish.

Thoughts?

Sounds like you came up with another plan, but they won't let you in for the Tony's reservation if they are in fact holding DAH admission to 7pm on your night (which seems like the current state of things). I vote CR/Wave or Poly/Kona, or eat at AK.

Hope it works out for you.

I was away for a few days and am behind on the thread so didn't catch your OP, but I probably would have said take them (easy for me to say not knowing the context I guess). I took DS when he was 6 one year and DD earlier this year when she was 4. I was fully prepared for the one with the 4 year old to be a bust and we'd leave early (I don't like to push my kids to hard... I go at their pace at Disney)... but let me tell you who was driving the train of staying until the end on that night... HER! :-)

Not sure of your situation but going with kids can definitely work for some.

I went on 12/10 and it was really cold. I took my 6 and 3 year old. Like you, my 3 year was up till the very end loving it. I did have the advantage of just coming in from the West Coast, so they were still on West Coast time. It worked out as 1AM is late, but was really more like 10PM for us.

Thanks to whoever posted march dates were online. Bought us a batch for 3/28 -- right in the middle of Spring Break. I'd thought we were going to miss it!
How busy do you think that night will be? We are considering that date.

Unless they totally change the model, it won't be anything resembling busy. You might have a wait at 7DMT in the early hours, but my experience last year -- in late June -- was that nearly everything was a walk-on, and there were multiple ride opportunities.

That night is a 10-1, DAH, so with the 7pm entry you get an extra hour compared to the 9-12 DAHs, and there's a good chance that time will be pretty busy. But unless they've really changed the way they're doing this, crowds aren't a real concern; unless you're looking for it to be deserted, and every single attraction a multiple-ride walk-on, crowds aren't really a thing with DAH.

Omg Dh is driving me insane. We both agreed after our October WDW trip we would be done with Disney for awhile, but today he said we need to start planning our trip to do all 3 DAH events! I want to go so bad, but do we need to? lol

Omg Dh is driving me insane. We both agreed after our October WDW trip we would be done with Disney for awhile, but today he said we need to start planning our trip to do all 3 DAH events! I want to go so bad, but do we need to? lol
Ehhh I could argue it falls into "need." Just how I "need" to buy new iPhones when they come out. I can pretty much justify anything tho (like having multiple 2019 WDW trips planned with room deposits) haha

You never know when the DAH events could stop. And Star Wars will definitely change/end it at HS. Nothing like the present :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter