Disney, Adoption and The Avengers...

Anthropomorphic pony rides for everyone! :thumbsup2

Bad Horse does not give "pony rides"

Evilleague-01.jpg

Furthermore, if your children aren't old enough to sit them down and explain the source of Loki and Thor's conflict, or can't grasp nuance and take every single thing ever presented to them at its literal face value, THEY SHOULDN'T BE SEEING PG-13 MOVIES IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Dick Grayson and Jason Todd (first and second Robin; eventually Nightwing and Red Hood, respectively) - adopted by Bruce Wayne

Tim Drake, the third Robin, was adopted eventually, as well, and actually took the Wayne name.

Let's be fair, though. Most of the laugh-out-loud stuff in that movie doesn't garner diegetic laughter. You're correct: the characters didn't laugh. Unfortunately, the joke was intended for the audience and not the characters.

And we laughed because that line was funny. That's right, I laughed at that line. Both times I saw it. It got one of the biggest laughs from the audiences I saw it with. I still think that line was funny.

But I don't think that all adopted kids are mass murderers planning alien invasions so they can rule a broken planet Earth. I never have. And I've certainly never thought adopted kids were lesser than the families who love them and raise them, and certainly never took that message from that moment in the movie. That's ridiculous.

Iron Man 2 has a scene where Tony realizes his assistant and driver have left him to work for Pepper, and he says "I lost both kids in the divorce!" Do we have to change that line now because children in custody battles might be upset? Of course not.

I do think Thor still loves his brother very much, even though Loki - by his own doing - is making that very difficult. Even with the infamous line, that's pretty obvious.

Who are you people it's a comic book movie. I'm an adopted kid and I wasn't offended what so ever. You just have to have something to complain about and that's just sad. Quit trying to think for your and other peoples kids and let them think on their own.

Adopted kid out!!!!

1. Stop comparing the imagined persecution of the adopted with the undeniable horror experience by people of colour. It makes you either a complete lunatic or someone who completely devalues the hardships endured by centuries of racism. Other than bigots trying to prevent same sex adoptive families, you're not being persecuted and you never really have been.

2. You and your supporters have zero understanding of comic book mythology if you are seriously offended that comic books and their adaptations aren't doing justice to adoptive families. because you have to be a complete idiot to not see the numerous examples of beautiful adoption stories in comic books and the strength of character and sense of justice it builds in superheroes.

Clark Kent (Superman) - adopted by the Kent family
Bruce Wayne (Batman) - adopted (in a sense) by Alfred Pennyworth
Dick Grayson and Jason Todd (first and second Robin; eventually Nightwing and Red Hood, respectively) - adopted by Bruce Wayne
Peter Parker (Spiderman) - adopted by Ben and May Parker
Loki - adoptive brother to Thor Odinson, adopted by Odin Allfather

Jason Todd excluded, Loki is the only major 'adoption gone wrong' story i can think of off the top of my head. And to be honest i still find it a beautiful and inspiring adoption story because in the mythology Thor never gives up on his brother and is constantly trying to redeem him. Thor loves Loki unconditionally and the pain he must endure seeing his brother betray the ideals of their family is the single greatest conflict of that franchise.

Thor's quip only shows him trying to deal with the pain tearing him apart and makes it clear that he can't even begin to piece together the source of his brother's betrayal, so he is forced to mask his pain with uncomfortable comedy. i would imagine those feelings to a lesser extent are present in most sibling rivalries.

Comic books are the single greatest source of positive adoption stories in contemporary media. You all need to grow up.

"like"

1. Stop comparing the imagined persecution of the adopted with the undeniable horror experience by people of colour. It makes you either a complete lunatic or someone who completely devalues the hardships endured by centuries of racism. Other than bigots trying to prevent same sex adoptive families, you're not being persecuted and you never really have been.

2. You and your supporters have zero understanding of comic book mythology if you are seriously offended that comic books and their adaptations aren't doing justice to adoptive families. because you have to be a complete idiot to not see the numerous examples of beautiful adoption stories in comic books and the strength of character and sense of justice it builds in superheroes.

Jason Todd excluded, Loki is the only major 'adoption gone wrong' story i can think of off the top of my head. And to be honest i still find it a beautiful and inspiring adoption story because in the mythology Thor never gives up on his brother and is constantly trying to redeem him. Thor loves Loki unconditionally and the pain he must endure seeing his brother betray the ideals of their family is the single greatest conflict of that franchise.

Thor's quip only shows him trying to deal with the pain tearing him apart and makes it clear that he can't even begin to piece together the source of his brother's betrayal, so he is forced to mask his pain with uncomfortable comedy. i would imagine those feelings to a lesser extent are present in most sibling rivalries.

Comic books are the single greatest source of positive adoption stories in contemporary media. You all need to grow up.

Yes to everything you said, and thankyou for saying it but I want to add this thought as well........

I know people have always argued about nature versus nurture and maybe this was a way of saying that adoption doesn't erase the natural instincts that we're born with. The child I gave up for adoption resembles me, she has my personality and even my voice. She was adopted and yet she still carries my genetics...therefore she could also share, by nature, my temprement and character.

We really enjoyed the movie. :woohoo:

I don't see any problem with it tbh, for all the arguments previously mentioned.

In the theatre I went to see it at in the UK it got some chuckles, a few laughs and even a snort from somewhere. That's the equivalent of guffawing and laughing loudly in some other parts of the world :)

*Standing Ovation*

EXACTLY!!!! One could argue that the 3 most popular Comic Book story lines / characters of all time were adopted...Superman, Batman and Spider Man.

Also...

Rogue - A runaway who was Adopted by Mystique

Batgirl (Barbara Gordon) - Adopted by Jim Gordon (Commissioner Gordon)

Who are you people it's a comic book movie. I'm an adopted kid and I wasn't offended what so ever. You just have to have something to complain about and that's just sad. Quit trying to think for your and other peoples kids and let them think on their own.

Adopted kid out!!!!

Because everyone who is adopted feels exactly the same and has the same story :confused3?

*Standing Ovation*

EXACTLY!!!! One could argue that the 3 most popular Comic Book story lines / characters of all time were adopted...Superman, Batman and Spider Man.

Also...

Rogue - A runaway who was Adopted by Mystique

Batgirl (Barbara Gordon) - Adopted by Jim Gordon (Commissioner Gordon)

Always thought that Batman was left in the care of Alfred the Butler,was this also an adoption?:confused3

-JH

Always thought that Batman was left in the care of Alfred the Butler,was this also an adoption?:confused3

-JH

I don't think it was an official adoption, but Alfred raised him after his parents died so he was Bruce's parental figure for a big chunk of his life. If we are being technical about it Loki wasn't really adopted, either - Odin just found him and took him home to raise him.

I don't know if I should cheer or cry at this post. Point number one is far too harsh and if you really believe "your not being persecuted and really never have been" that shows a lack of understanding and empathy. (Just because some groups have had worse histories doesn't negate issue another group may have.) BUT...

Point number two is invaluable to me as an adopted mother! I know nothing about comic books and haven't seen the Avengers, so haven't added anything to the thread, but I will definitely be tracking down some of these comic series for my son when he's a little older now. (Encourage reading and positive adoption story all at the same time - WAHOO!)

I don't know if I should cheer or cry at this post. Point number one is far too harsh and if you really believe "your not being persecuted and really never have been" that shows a lack of understanding and empathy. (Just because some groups have had worse histories doesn't negate issue another group may have.) BUT...

Point number two is invaluable to me as an adopted mother! I know nothing about comic books and haven't seen the Avengers, so haven't added anything to the thread, but I will definitely be tracking down some of these comic series for my son when he's a little older now. (Encourage reading and positive adoption story all at the same time - WAHOO!)

I maybe came off as too harsh in my first point, because I am certainly empathetic towards the complicated emotions involving non-traditional families. what I meant more was that those hardships are mostly internal, which can certainly cause havoc and pain inside a family, but no one can say that adoption is not considered a standard practice when building a family(as in, no one is putting bricks and bullets through your window or murdering adopted boys for dating non-adopted girls). Almost every segment of the population celebrates adoption for one reason or another (again with the exception of zealots who believe me and my partner shouldn't be allowed to adopt because we'll both be men). But comparing that to centuries of systemic abuse and genocide does both parties a disservice by making adoption advocates appear completely out of touch with the reality experienced by people of colour. It was intended more as a reality check to the people comparing the two plights.

On the second point, I’m thrilled I was able to share the beauty I’ve found in the world of comic books and graphic novels with you and that it may bring positive stories of adoption to your children in the future. when I was much younger and was forced to confront the reality that I would never be able to have a biological child with whoever I end up deciding to start a family with these stories helped me learn that sharing DNA isn't an important factor in building a beautiful family and am looking forward to the time in my life where I’ll have that opportunity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!