Disney’s MARVELous Super Hero - New You - New Year Celebration – January 2017!!

QOTD: Are you good at handling stress and using it to your advantage or do you turn into The Hulk or She Hulk? What coping strategies do you use or would like to try and use in 2017?

For Christmas I got a Himalayan Salt Lamp which I've been using at night for up to an hour before I fall asleep. The lighting is very warm and very relaxing so that combined with a good book has been a very helpful way for me to relax. Long, hot showers with music is another way that I decompress. Running can be a help with stress but it can also be a burder. A lot of my stress stems from overthinking and anxiety. Sometimes running helps me work through whatever issue I'm struggling with because I have solitary time to just mentally go through it. However, that can in turn cause more fixation and frustration and stress. So I try to not think about anything when I run. Or I daydream.

A little late to the game - -I've been at the in-law's lake house since Friday. No wifi--- just books and animal sounds to entertain me. Back to reality today though! Eating was somewhat off the rails. There were a chips and cookies to contend with, but I also cooked for everybody 2 of the 3 nights and the meals were mainly vegetables. Small victories!

I am actually below my starting weight for December, so I will consider December a triumph after all! LOL

Quick intro-- I'm a 27 soon to be 28 year old crazy cat lady and travel junkie. I'm on a 30 lb journey. Half way there and lost all motivation. Trying to get myself motivated to drop the last 15 and maybe even more!

I also love social media-- so to see my cat, Disney, and various things I bake, eat, and drink:
Insta: patties_adventure_book

I always told myself I would never be one of those people who didn't stay up for New Years like my parents. Well I fell asleep at 8:30 last night lol. To be fair I was out late the night before dancing and drinking at my cousin's wedding.

LOL This was us--- we were all bored and tired at the lake and just passed out around 10:30--oops! This is my first NYE as an old lady asleep in bed!

For those of us who are struggling or new to making changes – what do you think you can do to help forming these habits? Do you have reminders and rewards built into your plan for your goal this month?

So my goal this month is based on minimums. I bought 5 Orangetheory classes, and I am going to go to 5 Orangetheory classes this month. Very, Very Simple.... let's do this!

To keep myself accountable and to form this habit, I scheduled all my classes already and put them in my calendar with a reminder to get going. If I can find three hours a week to volunteer and go feed and play with the shelter cats, I can find one measly hour to go work out.

In my dream world I would like to supplement those classes with weekly yoga in the park and some time on my elliptical at home. We will see. That is the bonus extra cherry on top.

But I also want to see the scale tip this month (or at least let my cute clothes fit better). We already do Blue Apron for 3 dinners per week, but I am thinking about signing up for a prepared meal plan for lunches. There is just waaaaay too much Chick-fil-a on my lunch breaks. I already told DH, he can be in or he can be out, but I have GOT to get better at lunches.

A few villains this month:

- My birthday (going to Disney world for the weekend, eating at Yachtsman, maybe Cali Grill Brunch, oh and definitely a Sprinkles cupcake.....)
- DH's birthday (not quite the ordeal that mine is.... but he does want me to bake him a cake, and yes, I will have some)
- My aches and pains-- I swear it took me 3 days to recover from my first OT class. And I'm a cry baby about it. Plus I have back pain that makes me scared to work out and hurt myself... but I know I have the back aches because I don't work out and the muscles are weak. This is a vicious cycle. I've got to suck it up!

QOTD: Are you good at handling stress and using it to your advantage or do you turn into The Hulk or She Hulk? What coping strategies do you use or would like to try and use in 2017?

Well, I'm ok with handling stress on the outside, but my cardiologist told me my heart and my insides are not dealing too well :crazy:.... I'm supposed to be finding something to de-stress and relax everyday. So far, that has been Netflix and snuggling with the cat when DH goes to bed, but I would really like to find something more productive. Maybe reading, maybe incorporating some meditation, maybe more yoga. I'm not sure yet, but that is something that is definitely on my 2017 to do list!

Ok, sorry for the long ramble! I'll be keeping up for the rest of the month :)

Good Tuesday morning... I'm back on-line and signing up for January.

I haven't laid out goals for January quite yet, but do have a couple goals for the year:

1000 Miles walked
Go mostly vegetarian, except for still eating fish
And to not start 2018 in the same place as I started 2016 and now 2017.

The holiday season was pretty rough. On Christmas Eve something changed for my Sister in Law, and her body started to reject food: they put her on water only for several days and she did get some relief, but continued to decline and passed quietly and peacefully late last Friday, with my Sister by her side. We all knew it was going to happen, but it still seemed to come quickly. There's a visitation ceremony this Friday for immediate family and then the celebration of life will be later in the month. My Sister is doing OK under the circumstances, but it is going to be a long slow adjustment. Thanks again to those who sent cards, there were 50+ and my Sister really did enjoy getting them.

I'm actually grateful to be back at work today, and back to a more normal routine. We continue to have a true winter, with a little more snow Saturday and Sunday and very cold temps for several more days. It is clear and sunny outside today, the sky is a beautiful crisp blue.

Not really sure what to expect from 2017, just planning on making my way thru and finding the best of what it has to offer.

@Oneanne I am so sorry for your and your family's loss!

Interesting that you have decided to eat vegetarian! I am trying to limit my meat in my diet a lot and often struggle with getting enough protein. I would love to hear your experiences!

So not good at handling stress! I handle it in two different ways. I will turn into the She Hulk sometimes or I will be in denial. Like right now I am super stressed about packing and running (leaving for wdw tomorrow!) I keep putting it off. I also can not concentrate on anything. For 2017 I will continue to use running for everyday stress relief. I think when the unexpected stress comes along is a bigger problem for me. When that happens talking usually helps so I will find someone to talk to and not try to eat it away.

:hug: I understand that feeling ... as well its just me and the kids so most things I do, I do alone ... sometimes that's ok but sometimes it sux. But I agree with @Flossbolna we are here for you :-)

I probably should have clarified - I know all of you guys are here for me to support and encourage. It's just... I'm running alone on the streets or working out by myself. And I'll be running my races alone. But I think I'll keep you guys in my thoughts so I'm not alone. :)

Are you doing anything besides running when you work out? I ask cuz you're kicking butt when it comes to running!! And I'm really wanting to work on both increasing my speed and endurance.

My secret: I took two Training Programs and modified them. ;) The first half of the year is the Tinkerbell half marathon training program with extra work out days added. I've also modified distances with my scheduled half marathons so it looks like this:
IMG_1346.PNG

For the back half of the year I've done something similar with Dopey. Lots of cross training - yoga, bike, and weights. Need to make sure all muscle groups are worked out.

Training runs will be me pushing myself and just adding on miles. If you want the full calendar let me know and I'll give your email address access :)

first of all, thank you for starting off with my favorite super hero, The Hulk! During avengers weekend I actually ran as the hulk and the costume brings a lot of luck. Two best races to date when wearing the outfit. :D

For stress, oh boy. One area I still need to improve on. I'm equal parts avoider when it comes to stress (if I hide, will the stressor go away?)... or I will eat my feelings. Anyone else here an emotional eater?

I am working on coping with stress by doing healthier things. Take a walk. Don't turn to good. Talking through problems with trusted friends and family members. It's working so far, but habits are hard to break.

I'm running alone on the streets or working out by myself. And I'll be running my races alone.
I totally get this! When I went from training and running with DH to every training run alone it was hard. Especially when everyone else gets to sit around. I had to push myself out the door because no one was going to do it for me. Now at the end of the training cycle I love running and being by myself. When people ask to go with me I'm like nope it is me time! I found some really good podcasts that I would look forward to listening to, that helped a lot on the tougher days.

I am OK with stress as long as it is the normal day to day kind. The extreme stress is rough on me. I eat a lot of junk and really kind of flip out more. I am trying to change that to go work out harder then other days to work out that stress or frustration.

@Oneanne I am sorry for you lose

I totally get this! When I went from training and running with DH to every training run alone it was hard. Especially when everyone else gets to sit around. I had to push myself out the door because no one was going to do it for me. Now at the end of the training cycle I love running and being by myself. When people ask to go with me I'm like nope it is me time! I found some really good podcasts that I would look forward to listening to, that helped a lot on the tougher days.

I'm so glad you get this. :)

How are you feeling about Dopey? I am so excited for you! Kill it and earn those six medals. You've worked hard.

I'm so glad you get this. :)

How are you feeling about Dopey? I am so excited for you! Kill it and earn those six medals. You've worked hard.
Mostly excited and a little nervous. Trying to pack for every scenario possible right now. The weather looks good but rain on Saturday and the waiting in the corrals is going to be on the chilly side every morning.

@Lady Marie did you see the Aristocats tsum tsums they released at the Disney store today??

:O no! I just went and looked though-- cute!!! Now, don't ask me what I would ever do with them or where I would put them.... although my office could do with a little Disney-fying! Thanks for letting me know!

@Oneanne So sorry to hear about your loss :grouphug:

Training runs will be me pushing myself and just adding on miles. If you want the full calendar let me know and I'll give your email address access :)

That would be awesome! I keep having this fear that if I don't run like 4+ times a week then I'll be a failure of a runner. I'll PM you my email address.

@Oneanne I am so sorry for your and your family's loss!

Interesting that you have decided to eat vegetarian! I am trying to limit my meat in my diet a lot and often struggle with getting enough protein. I would love to hear your experiences!

@Flossbolna Not getting enough protein was my first concern, but then I had to realize I don't really eat that much now, so I'll probably get more because I'll be focused on it. I am very lucky to live in an area where a lot of nice fresh fish is available... I usually eat just salmon, so I'm going to have to try some new things. My Niece is veggie, and has already given me some recipes to try. As I've learned more about the wool industry and thought more and more about stewardship, I just can't pretend any longer that I don't know where my food came from or how it got to my table.

Hey all! Good morning and happy 2017! I was going to catch up on the QOTD that I missed, but I just looked at the clock and realize that I have 15 minutes to get out the door. I'm driving with DD to an appointment this morning and when she is done we will grab some groceries. Then it is home to get ready for what I hope is a HUGE Weight Watchers meeting tonight! Fingers crossed! I'll have time to catch up on the chatter tomorrow, but I definitely wanted to come on and say that I'm here and to save myself a seat!...........P

Hope your WW meeting went as hoped - glad you will be around again this month :D

A little late to the game - -I've been at the in-law's lake house since Friday. No wifi--- just books and animal sounds to entertain me.

That sounds wonderful :D

I am actually below my starting weight for December, so I will consider December a triumph after all! LOL

That is great - December was definitely a triumph then :thumbsup2

I haven't laid out goals for January quite yet, but do have a couple goals for the year:

1000 Miles walked

The holiday season was pretty rough. On Christmas Eve something changed for my Sister in Law, and her body started to reject food: they put her on water only for several days and she did get some relief, but continued to decline and passed quietly and peacefully late last Friday, with my Sister by her side. We all knew it was going to happen, but it still seemed to come quickly. There's a visitation ceremony this Friday for immediate family and then the celebration of life will be later in the month. My Sister is doing OK under the circumstances, but it is going to be a long slow adjustment. Thanks again to those who sent cards, there were 50+ and my Sister really did enjoy getting them.

I'm actually grateful to be back at work today, and back to a more normal routine. We continue to have a true winter, with a little more snow Saturday and Sunday and very cold temps for several more days. It is clear and sunny outside today, the sky is a beautiful crisp blue.

Not really sure what to expect from 2017, just planning on making my way thru and finding the best of what it has to offer.

Welcome back @Oneanne. I am so sorry to hear your Sister in Law passed - she must have been a special lady to have a wonderful partner and extended family that loved and cared for her as much as you all did. I am glad the Christmas Cards brought a little lightness to a challenging time. My thoughts are with you and your family :hug:

first of all, thank you for starting off with my favorite super hero, The Hulk! During avengers weekend I actually ran as the hulk and the costume brings a lot of luck. Two best races to date when wearing the outfit. :D

I bet you looked great in The Hulk costume :-) - I have memories from childhood of The Hulk when they had the TV show on .... my brother always thought he was The Hulk!

Stress. Deep yoga breathing during incidences, prevention (dealing with things--not procrastinating until the last minute) maintenance. Means exercising, incorporating yoga into my exercise routine, meditation. Just keeping the level under control is essential. We all have stress but knowing how it affects you and not letting it get out of control is the key for me. This is essential for me or I will eventually end up drinking again. Of course it is sneaky and overeating happens instead of the drinking ;-).

Sounds like you have some great strategies that you actively use to help you cope :thumbsup2

Christmas I got a Himalayan Salt Lamp which I've been using at night for up to an hour before I fall asleep. The lighting is very warm and very relaxing so that combined with a good book has been a very helpful way for me to relax.

That sounds soooo good. I don't read as much as I used to - although I did get a new book for Christmas.

A lot of my stress stems from overthinking and anxiety.

I hear you my friend ... this is so me as well.

My birthday

When is your Birthday? Its my Birthday Month also :P

Well, I'm ok with handling stress on the outside, but my cardiologist told me my heart and my insides are not dealing too well :crazy:.... I'm supposed to be finding something to de-stress and relax everyday. So far, that has been Netflix and snuggling with the cat when DH goes to bed, but I would really like to find something more productive. Maybe reading, maybe incorporating some meditation, maybe more yoga. I'm not sure yet, but that is something that is definitely on my 2017 to do list!

Isn't it funny how it also seems hard to find time to relax? And by that I mean that time to purposefully relax with meditation or yoga - I guess its just like exercise in a way and is a new habit that perhaps once enjoyed can be built in .... maybe start off with a couple of minutes as part of your bedtime or morning routine and build from there.

We continue to have a true winter, with a little more snow Saturday and Sunday and very cold temps for several more days. It is clear and sunny outside today, the sky is a beautiful crisp blue.

I love how you love the cooler weather - all your descriptions and pics really make me want to experience it.

So not good at handling stress! I handle it in two different ways. I will turn into the She Hulk sometimes or I will be in denial. Like right now I am super stressed about packing and running (leaving for wdw tomorrow!) I keep putting it off. I also can not concentrate on anything. For 2017 I will continue to use running for everyday stress relief. I think when the unexpected stress comes along is a bigger problem for me. When that happens talking usually helps so I will find someone to talk to and not try to eat it away.

I can relate... I do The Hulk and denial also. It seems like running works for you on several levels its great that you have found a healthy activity that fits :-)

For stress, oh boy. One area I still need to improve on. I'm equal parts avoider when it comes to stress (if I hide, will the stressor go away?)... or I will eat my feelings. Anyone else here an emotional eater?

I am working on coping with stress by doing healthier things. Take a walk. Don't turn to good. Talking through problems with trusted friends and family members. It's working so far, but habits are hard to break.

:wave2: Yep emotional eater here as well ... it took me a while to realise it though. I also hide if I can - this actually used to mean sleeping when it all got too much to escape it completely. Learning new coping strategies is hard o_O

The extreme stress is rough on me. I eat a lot of junk and really kind of flip out more. I am trying to change that to go work out harder then other days to work out that stress or frustration.

Glad you have the day to day stuff down. Coping with the unexpected bigger stuff is naturally going to be harder as we don't have to do it often (well hopefully) - good plan to channel it into a workout :-)

Are you good at handling stress and using it to your advantage or do you turn into The Hulk or She Hulk? What coping strategies do you use or would like to try and use in 2017?

I am really a mixed bag when it comes to handling stress. I can at times feel Hulk like and just lose it ... I hold it in hold it in and then some minor trigger will tip me over the edge. I experience anxiety and the level of this has varied over the years at times being quite debilitating. I also sit in denial, hide, eat, I can catastrophize things in my mind, and procrastinate .... it can work for me say when I need to get a report done and I have put it off a bit - having a deadline seems to make me knuckle down and focus - but I kind of need to be closer to the deadline for that to work. At work at times I feel very disorganised because it is a very mobile job - with a base office and several schools to look after and travel to and from - this leads to me not maintaining focus and things taking too long to finalise - and when things build up and take longer than I would like that leads to stress and anxiety about my performance - I tend to sit in denial a lot about this.

I use self-talk, and deep breathing when trying to talk myself down from anxiety spiralling towards a panic attack. I watch TV a lot for relaxation and escape - I got the complete series of 'Will & Grace' for Christmas and I have watched all of it already :D but having a good laugh is also relaxing and good for my mood. I have tried meditation and yoga at different times over the years and tried it last year as it was free at work ... but for some reason I found the breathing putting me off and after the class I would feel very anxious for no good reason - so I stopped. When I do start my mornings on the water paddling I feel relaxed. I really do think I need to try some more purposeful relaxation strategies this year - Oh I just remembered at my last office we used to use a meditation app - lock the door and lay down on the floor for a 5 or 10 minute meditation a few afternoons when we all got sluggish or overwhelmed and that was great - so I may add that to my daily routine somewhere - although the others in my current office aren't really into meditation. I think I also need to find more consistency in walking each day.

Checking in on a cold and damp night. So tired of winter. It is a much worse season than summer and I hate summer. I don't understand why I don't live in San Diego since I am really only happy when it is sunny and 72-74 degrees.

I had a pretty good day today. Started out with a steaming bowl of oatmeal with blueberries and almond milk that made me feel all warm and fuzzy. Then off to the salon for the quarterly hide the gray session. It made me think a lot about routine. I rarely go to Starbucks or other coffee shops but I always do on hair coloring day. Without really thinking about it, I dropped in and got my regular grande skinny chai and a fruit/cheese box because I was hungry and hadn't eaten lunch. I was prepared for the snack calories since I actually flipped it over and looked when I was in line. But I didn't really think about my drink. That is 220 calories I really want back! Delicious but so not worth missing both my afternoon snack and the rice I should have had with dinner. It was stir fry night with lots of vegetables so I didn't go hungry but it made me a bit grumpy. I would have been just as happy with regular tea with one packet of sugar. Lessons learned: 1. Think about whether you actually want something or are just consuming it out of habit. 2. Log first!

A difficult thing for me will be to accept that I am in this training program alone.

I'm sorry. I know you know that you have all of us with you in spirit but that isn't the same as having someone pounding the pavement next to you. I have days when I would dearly love to chuck the gaming system out the window.

I need to start slowly like an inch worm up the marigold stem.

Love this!

So glad I found this thread! Thanks for inviting me :)

I'm Nikki and I'm twenty-six. I love Disney Princesses, schnauzers, horror movies, long walks on the beach...

Wait. This isn't a dating thread! Oops
;)

I posted already on the W.I.S.H thread but I'll post it again here:

I'm taking the initiative and am taking the W.I.S.H challenge!

I have been quite overweight most of my life, and while I have a positive outlook on life and have a lot of fun, there is a burning desire deep within me that badly wants to shed the weight and get healthy. In the past I have tried diets here and there but nothing that has stuck or has shown any progress. It has been a battle and a struggle for me my whole life. I am now in my mid-twenties and while my mood is normally bouncy and energetic, my body sure isn't! Often times I get aches and pains, as well as bouts of fatigue. I have foot problems and I generally feel like crap after I eat. :( So while fast food is super tasty, it's taking a toll on my health and body.

I have booked a cruise for September 17th of this year and I would LOVE to shed the weight and feel better. No more making excuses, just healthier choices. I'm starting slow, by giving up soda and junk food, and eating more vegetables and drinking more water. I'm learning and making up a lot of things as I go, but I'm gonna do this!! Some how, some way, lol. In the name of Disney... haha.

My Goal: Well, my big goal is to lose 150 lbs. That's the dream. I haven't weighed myself in a while but I'm almost positive that I'm around 320. So to get rid of half of that would be amazing. This Christmas I asked Santa to take all my weight away, but when I woke up Christmas morning it was still here... And I doubt Good Will would take such a charitable donation ;) so I'm stuck with it until I take it off. My short-term goal is to get to 250 lbs. And to eat healthier and make better choices. To cook more and work on my relationship with food. And for God's sake to stay away from soda and Taco Bell! But honestly, my main goals are to get healthier, feel better, and to look great for my cruise.

Plan: I'm giving up fast food and soda, and am opting for better choices, such as vegetables and fruit. Upping my water intake and I am going to attempt food prepping. I have already gone shopping and I am ready to roll. I definitely think planning out my meals will help because I'll be able to spend one day a week cooking and that's it: I can grab and go and that would really simplify a lot of things for me. Another good thing is that I will be saving money- my grocery bill this week for seven days, breakfast lunch and dinner was less than $45 which works for me (As a college student I am oh so broke).

Villains: I work at a gas station so be surrounded by junk food and soda... I'm worried I will fail, but it's normal to be scared of that, right? Accountability is terrifying. I worry I will get cranky and alienate people around me... that or end up selling my first born child for a 12 pack of Dr Pepper, lmao. I also have the worst habit of eating when I'm not hungry, so I will definitely have to battle that.

Goal for this month: Food prep for the entire month! Be consistent with my meal planning and stick to my meal plan.

I'm also on snapchat if anyone wants to add me @themermaidnikki

Welcome! You've got a great plan and you can do this!!

Hi all I'm in :) I'm Carmel 32 from outback South Australia

The big goal for the year is to fit into my wedding dress with out any alterations required before my October wedding.

Goal for the month: complete the monthly squat and plank challenges as seen on Facebook

The eating plan: I've always eaten healthy but my goal is to cut down on portion sizes.

The activity plan: I'm going to pin the challenges to my fridge so I see them everyday and to check in here so I'm accountable.

The villains: Work- I do 10.5hr shifts Monday to Friday and have 1hr commute so the last thing I want to do when I get home is work out.

Plan for fighting off the villains:
1. Make my fiancé kick my butt each day so I do the challenge for that day
2. There is a possibility of a job change soon so that will free up a lot of time. Fingers crossed.

Can't wait to see everyone meet their goals.

Welcome!!

I'm absolutely fabulous in a crisis. My problem is that I'm always a little strung out once the waters have calmed. And because I'm good in a crisis, I get a lot of them dumped on me. The last five years or so have been rough on my family and stress has definitely gotten the best of me. I've developed some anxiety issues including a few panic attacks and now have a tendency to turn into a Hulk at the slightest minor provocation although I'm still fine if it is actually a real problem. And I am absolutely a stress and other emotional eater.

Husband and I now have a code word to use if stress induced nastiness that has nothing to do with the other is about to ensue. It is a ridiculous word and it usually makes me laugh instead of flipping out because I had a rough day and the pepper grinder is in the wrong place.

I'm dabbling in meditation, journaling, and saying no. I'm also thinking about signing up for a restorative yoga class on Friday evenings as a peaceful end to the workweek.

1000 Miles walked

I'm so sorry for your loss. Wishing you and your sister a peaceful and healing 2017.

Mostly excited and a little nervous. Trying to pack for every scenario possible right now. The weather looks good but rain on Saturday and the waiting in the corrals is going to be on the chilly side every morning.

Best of luck to you this weekend. Hope you are bringing an extra bag for all those medals!

Oh I just remembered at my last office we used to use a meditation app - lock the door and lay down on the floor for a 5 or 10 minute meditation a few afternoons when we all got sluggish or overwhelmed and that was great - so I may add that to my daily routine

I love that your office did this together!

Greetings everyone .... how exciting it is the very first :woohoo:WOOHOO WEDNESDAY of the year!
It’s that special day of the week where we focus our positive thoughts and celebrate our successes – nothing is too big or too small … health or non- health related we like to celebrate it all :cool1:.

Now to get you in the mood or to give you something to look at while you ponder your WOOHOO's check out the clip below .... seeing Spiderman in action swinging on his web always makes me feel pretty WOOHOO lol! I think he even throws in a woohoo or 2 himself when he is web slinging.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter