Disney’s Magic Band FAQ Link

As far as I've been able to determine, yes that is correct, at least for the Fab 50 Quest and Batuu Bounty Hunter activities, assuming ALL in your party want to do the activity at the same time.

For those activities you are using the Play Disney app. Any age can setup an account and use the app. But once you sign in as Person A, Person A must sign out before person B can sign in. We couldn't figure a way to have multiple people signed into their accounts on a single phone at the same time. So each person would need a device with their MB+ paired and connected and the Play Disney app open.

For the Fab 50 Quest, we didn't get credit unless the Play Disney app was opened and signed in on the phone that had the person's MB+ band connected. Like at first I didn't have the app open on my phone. While I waved at statues, they responded and the band was vibrating like it should, the Play Disney app didn't show me as having gotten that statue when I finally did open the app and went to the Fab 50 Quest. I had to re-visit each. To me, that negates the possibility of Person B doing the quest without a phone or the app being signed in, and then log into the app later.

If there is a way around this, I hope someone can share.

you should be able to update and adjust the settings(like color scheme, brightness, etc) of the bands if all bands are connected to your phone.
Thank you. That makes more sense to me. Not sure they would even be interested in that. I was just worried that the bands wouldn't light up without their own cell phone. I know that would be a problem. We have some old smartphones at home we will bring in case they are into bounty hunting, etc. We can get on the wifi. Thanks again for that detailed explanation!

Going next month with a group of 7 - four adults with smartphones, three small children without. How painful will it be to use our phones vs buying magic bands?

Going next month with a group of 7 - four adults with smartphones, three small children without. How painful will it be to use our phones vs buying magic bands?
It can be done but the easier way may be to get tickets for each person when you enter your first park and use those.

If you do choose to use phones one person can swipe through and scan for the group, it just takes time. If you choose this method, please be cautious not to block the second tap at attraction entrances while the guest with the tickets is scanning through their phone.

We had tickets at DL and found it much easier than using our phone.

If you choose phone or tickets, please also ensure you have Bluetooth turned on in your phone for attraction pictures.

Here this week. A lady with 3 kids was using her phone in the Slinky Lightning Lane. When she first brought up her digital wallet (iphone user) it opened to a credit card (I could see the MC logo). She had to swipe to the first ticket, read name, tap, swipe, read name, tap, swipe, read name, tap .. etc. She looked nervous doing it. It was much slower than each person just tapping their wrist using a band, or if they each had plastic cards.

I didn't notice people entering the parks, and if they are asked for fingerprint too.

So I agree, at least get plastic cards (free) to tap.

Unfortunately this might leave you missing ride photos and videos (keep track of your approximate ride time just in case) since cards don't do long range features.

My experience this week (android, Galaxy S23 Ultra) with photos... I had my 5 year old MK45th Tiki Room band on (so no long range) , my phone was in buttoned pocket of my cargo shorts and properly setup, everything else went in locker, (including the puck from a recently purchased MB2 band I carry to have long range when using older MB2 bands). I did not get my Tron photo and video. My son (on his own MDE account, and using his MB+) did get his. So I don't trust using phone for auto linking ride photos.

This is so helpful! If I want to get cards when we arrive is that before or after we tap in and go through the gates? Our first park will be Animal Kingdom for what its worth.

I wish I could find magic band 2 for the five people that don't already have them (assuming mine from 2018 would still work, at least for lightning lanes).

This is so helpful! If I want to get cards when we arrive is that before or after we tap in and go through the gates? Our first park will be Animal Kingdom for what its worth.

I wish I could find magic band 2 for the five people that don't already have them (assuming mine from 2018 would still work, at least for lightning lanes).
Depending on when/where you purchased your tickets they may have already been mailed to you.

You can get the cards at a ticket booth or guest services at the park or Disney springs.

If you are staying at a Disney hotel, the front desk may also provide the cards. And the gift shop may have MB2 bands.

As for your 2018 bands, they will still work for tapping, just not the long range stuff. You can try setting up the phone with the Magic Mobile feature of the Disney World app and see if your on ride photos/videos for the select rides autolink. Just know if they don't, you'll need to stop at one of the PhotoPass shops at the front of the park to get them added, and it helps to know the time you rode.

Got back last night. Was just my daughter and I, first day I just used my smartphone. It’s slower and you have to retrieve it from your pocket. Daughter and I used our magic bands the next day…way easier, faster and convenient. After 10 hours in the sun the magic band starts to feel like a weight but still the better option imo

Got back last night. Was just my daughter and I, first day I just used my smartphone. It’s slower and you have to retrieve it from your pocket. Daughter and I used our magic bands the next day…way easier, faster and convenient. After 10 hours in the sun the magic band starts to feel like a weight but still the better option imo
Smartphone is way slower. We just back from a trip and going in a lighting lane one guy was trying to use his smartphone. My party of 4 all tapped in the other side before he got in with the smartphone.

I read the first page and searched this thread and didn't find this info. All we have are our original magic bands, so I am sure they no longer work. I was looking at a new Magic Band +. However, several reviews on Shop Disney report the band stopped working on their first trip and no refunds/exchanges were allowed, no matter how new it was. I don't mind buying 1 or 2 new ones, but I would be super upset if I spend $35+ and it stops working our first trip. Are these reviews outliers, or is this a known problem?

I read the first page and searched this thread and didn't find this info. All we have are our original magic bands, so I am sure they no longer work. I was looking at a new Magic Band +. However, several reviews on Shop Disney report the band stopped working on their first trip and no refunds/exchanges were allowed, no matter how new it was. I don't mind buying 1 or 2 new ones, but I would be super upset if I spend $35+ and it stops working our first trip. Are these reviews outliers, or is this a known problem?

There are a lot of reports of charging challenges, syncing challenges and short battery life.

While we’d like to purchase MB+ for our upcoming trip, we’re holding off on purchasing until V2 comes out some day. (No talk of a v2 yet.) Cannot justify the price to purchase a product I’ve read far too many complaints about.

I don’t like me mb+. I use my older one, but attraction photos no longer show up for me.

The battery on mine has been an issue from the beginning. Sometimes it appears to be charging but when I take it off the charger, it’s not charged. Other times it charges, but never tells me when it’s fully charged.

When it is on the charger, the blinking light emitted from it, would annoy me in a hotel room. It’s bright. At home I charge it in a different room.

The scavenger hunt in Batuu drains my battery after an hour to hour and a half of my son using it.

I am the only family member with the new band. Dh and ds didn’t see a need for one after seeing mine in action.

Your original bands will still work for TAPPING... see -> https://www.disboards.com/threads/disney’s-magic-band-faq-link.3875647/page-18#post-64754681

The MB+ bands need to be re-charged. If you don't, the lights, vibrations, interactive, and "gaming" features stop working. Just to be safe, charge them every night, although to be honest if you are not doing Fab50 Quest or Batuu Bounty Hunters, you can probably charge every other day or every 1.5 days. IF you do Batuu Bounty you'll likely have to charge the band DURING THE DAY. We also carried at least one MB+ charging cable in the parks with our powerbank (i.e. portable battery that we charge our phones with).

The charging clip/cable doesn't always "snap" on, although it might seem like its on right. You need to be sure the charging clip is securely attached to the band, and the band's LED is pulsing to know its charging, otherwise you could wake up the next morning and your band isn't charged.

I currently have six MB+ bands that I have not had an issue with. Three of them from my October trip, I re-used on our trip a couple weeks ago. I did not have any charging problems. Nor have they "died". I like wearing a different band each day, and one that matches the park... Yup, I'm weird like that. :o Our son took two MB+ bands he had from October, and one new MB+. He too didn't have any issues.

That being said, the issues we've had with MB+ bands have been around the initial bluetooth pairing with the phone, later re-connecting the bands with our phones for the interactive/game experiences, as well as making sure they were powered on after charging.

On our October trip, it took 4 attempts for our friend to Pair her band with her phone before it finally worked. My wife, our son and I upgraded our phones back in March? and it did take a little doing to Bluetooth pair the bands, that had been paired/connected with our old phones, to the new phones. It took a couple of tries and button pushing.
Once BT Paired to that phone, the bands usually re-connect to the phone just fine, but sometimes after charging we'd have to press the button on the back of the band (light ring comes on green), then open the Disney World app on the phone and go to 3 bar menu -> MagicBands and More -> [Tap Your Name] -> scroll to the MB+ band you want to use that day, and make sure it connects and shows the battery level.

NOTE: MB+ being bluetooth paired and connected to the phone only impacts the "gaming" features of the band (Fab50, Batuu, other things in Play Disney?? Accomplishments maybe?)

The other issue I've had which impacts both MB+ and MB2.0 bands... I find that bands stop working, even for tapping, even ones I used the last trip, IF I have "too many" marked Active. I have just over 60 bands total, plus several "cards" listed in my Disney account (my wife and son have over 25 bands each plus several cards)... On one trip, when our bands wouldn't open the room door, I found that if I deactivated some bands/cards, or deactivated/re-activated that particular band it started working. So now when we are going on a trip, before leaving home, we go into My Disney Experience (web site), under MagicBands and Cards, scroll down the list and deactivate ALL Bands and cards, then go back and activate only the ones I'll be taking that trip. We haven't had an issue since doing this.

Our group consists of my husband and I, both AP holders with photopass, and our sons (16 & 18) with 4 day summer magic tickets. We all have magicbands that are connected to my disney account. If our son's ride a ride without us, will the ride photo appear in our account or will we need to give one of them one of our magic bands? Would I be able to give them one of my other magicbands associated to me (not the one I'm wearing that day)?

Last edited:
Our group consists of my husband and I, both AP holders with photopass, and our sons (16 & 18) with 4 day summer magic tickets. We all have magicbands that are connected to my disney account. If our son's ride a ride without us, will the ride photo appear in our account or will we need to give one of them one of our magic bands? Would I be able to give them one of my other magicbands associated to me (not the one I'm wearing that day)?
You're basically doing a "Memory Maker Share".

They can use their bands, the photos can be linked to them and If you are linked on the Friends and Family list in My Disney Experience, OR you manage their My Disney accounts (i.e. they don't have their own sign in, they are listed under you, and you create/edit plans, etc), you'll be able to download their photos.

For example, my friend Dave traveled with us. He had room+ticket package and no Memory Maker. When he went on a ride with his son, the ride photos linked to his account. He saw them with water marks and was prompted to pay if he tried to download. However, He and I are linked on F&F lists in My Disney Experience, and I was able to download them no problem without having to pay extra (I have Incredipass w/PhotoPass option.)

When my son was younger, his My Disney Experience account was under mine and listed as "managed" by me. (He didn't have his own sign in). Any photos he scanned his band for, were in my/our account and I could download.

The only difference is how long the photos are available. For Annual Passholder who opted for the PhotoPass option on their AP, their photos expire after 1 year from date taken. Non-APH w/PhotoPass the pictures expire in 45 days. So just download theirs within 45 days.

You're basically doing a "Memory Maker Share".

They can use their bands, the photos can be linked to them and If you are linked on the Friends and Family list in My Disney Experience, OR you manage their My Disney accounts (i.e. they don't have their own sign in, they are listed under you, and you create/edit plans, etc), you'll be able to download their photos.

For example, my friend Dave traveled with us. He had room+ticket package and no Memory Maker. When he went on a ride with his son, the ride photos linked to his account. He saw them with water marks and was prompted to pay if he tried to download. However, He and I are linked on F&F lists in My Disney Experience, and I was able to download them no problem without having to pay extra (I have Incredipass w/PhotoPass option.)

When my son was younger, his My Disney Experience account was under mine and listed as "managed" by me. (He didn't have his own sign in). Any photos he scanned his band for, were in my/our account and I could download.

The only difference is how long the photos are available. For Annual Passholder who opted for the PhotoPass option on their AP, their photos expire after 1 year from date taken. Non-APH w/PhotoPass the pictures expire in 45 days. So just download theirs within 45 days.
Thank you! This is exactly what I needed to know. Both of the boys are "managed" by me so we shouldn't have any issues!

Sorry if this isn't the right place for this question. I'm curious if anyone else has had any issues with charging their Magic Band +? I put mine on the charger last night so that I could pair it to my iPhone and it lit up green, buzzed and then went dark. I left it on the charger all night but nothing. It stays dark unless I remove it from the charger and place it back on. Same green light, buzz, nothing. No amount of times that I have pressed or held down the button on the back has done anything. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Maybe I have a defective band?

Sorry if this isn't the right place for this question. I'm curious if anyone else has had any issues with charging their Magic Band +? I put mine on the charger last night so that I could pair it to my iPhone and it lit up green, buzzed and then went dark. I left it on the charger all night but nothing. It stays dark unless I remove it from the charger and place it back on. Same green light, buzz, nothing. No amount of times that I have pressed or held down the button on the back has done anything. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Maybe I have a defective band?
I'm going to go ahead and answer my own question in case anyone else has the same issue I did. As it turns out, it may be that my band is defective. The first time I plugged it in I used an older Apple USB adapter - this didn't work. I moved it to the USB port of my laptop which was plugged in - this also didn't work. To check if the issue was my band, I plugged my husband and daughter's bands into a 4 port USB adapter - this worked! Since I had success with that I moved my own band to that same power source and - NOTHING! After seeing that the other two bands were charging just fine, I tried switching my band to the charger my daughter's band was on. This also didn't work, but hers continued to charge on my charger, so it can't be charger that's defective. I'm disappointed, but glad I found out now when I still have 3 weeks before our trip to try and rectify it.

I have had issues since the beginning with my mb+, but hoping this helps:

I use an old Samsung high speed charger from an old Android.

When I plug mine in upright, nada. Nothing happens. When I plug mine in holding the mb upside down, I get a green light around the whole “screen”.

When it chooses to charge, I get a blinking red light in the bottom corner. When it chooses not to charge, there is no blinking light.

When there’s no blinking light, I go through the whole process again of plugging and unplugging until I finally get a blinking light.

I have no idea when to tell if it’s fully charged because once blinking it will continue blinking.

Attachments

• D429F8AD-F7ED-4209-BB41-2102ACA3D02D.jpeg
    D429F8AD-F7ED-4209-BB41-2102ACA3D02D.jpeg
    27.1 KB · Views: 0
hey there! i scoured this thread and couldn’t find an answer to this question… does anyone know if all magicband purchase selections on MDE need to be made under the same account? my mother picked out a magicband and asked that i order it for her under my Disney account, but the reservation itself is under my sister’s name/account and i noticed her magicband selection doesn’t show under my account. just want to make sure the order on my account goes through and my mom doesn’t miss out on her selection.

I have had issues since the beginning with my mb+, but hoping this helps:

I use an old Samsung high speed charger from an old Android.

When I plug mine in upright, nada. Nothing happens. When I plug mine in holding the mb upside down, I get a green light around the whole “screen”.

When it chooses to charge, I get a blinking red light in the bottom corner. When it chooses not to charge, there is no blinking light.

When there’s no blinking light, I go through the whole process again of plugging and unplugging until I finally get a blinking light.

I have no idea when to tell if it’s fully charged because once blinking it will continue blinking.
Interesting. I haven't tried to play with mine to that extent but it has been in multiple positions, unintentionally. I've had it laying on it's back, but also hanging due to how short the cord is. Nothing seems to work so I ended up calling them and after explaining the issue they will provide me with another. Unfortunately on MDE it says it will be available for pickup at my resort front desk. I was hoping to pair it prior, but I suppose it's better than them not agreeing to replace it at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter