DISDADS 2012 WDW Marathon Weekend, are you going?

Wait a second... Does that mean both you and Ryan are running both races? That's downright...Goofy! I'm supposed to run 11 miles on Saturday. Maybe I'll try that carrying a camera just to see how annoying/cumbersome it is. My pace would be in between you guys' if I actually wanted to run the whole thing. But the more I hear about the overall atmosphere, I may want to slow down and enjoy the scenery and get a few pics. On one hand I think it's a shame to train as hard as I have been and not run, but then again I may regret not taking advantage of the photo ops. I'm up for a meet. We can coordinate as the date draws closer. I almost certainly won't have my phone on race day so that would make it difficult to meet but we could try. Most of the dads meet at ball games or restaurants-- slackers... It would be nice to meet at something active.

Yup Paul and I are both Goofy. As far as I know its the first time for both of us. The half last year was my first half so I pushed it. I had trained and wanted to see what I could do. I think I averaged right a 9mm. The only time I really stopped was to get my picture with Phineas and Ferb. (of course the photo people lost that pic :headache:). This year it's much more about taking time and enjoying stuff. I can totally see wanting to push yourself and try for a PR. The course is really flat. Just beware it can be really crowded early on.

Had to see the sports medicine doc yesterday. On 12/4, I did my 12.5 mile run and could barely make it home. At about the 8 or 9 mile mark, both feet were killing me and I had to walk the last mile or so. Couldn't run at all that week and could hardly walk across the floor. It all feels better, but after running for the Doc and Phys Therapist yesterday they say I'm landing on my heel and using a lot of the outside of my foot which is exactly where the pain was. Long story short- I'm fine for the race but need to concentrate on landing on my mid-foot more. Here's my schedule by the way:

Jan 6 AK
Jan 7 EP & dinner at Rose & Crown or Coral Reef
Jan 8 MK Lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern
Jan 9 HS
Jan 10 MK Breakfast at Chef Mickey's

Had to see the sports medicine doc yesterday. On 12/4, I did my 12.5 mile run and could barely make it home. At about the 8 or 9 mile mark, both feet were killing me and I had to walk the last mile or so. Couldn't run at all that week and could hardly walk across the floor. It all feels better, but after running for the Doc and Phys Therapist yesterday they say I'm landing on my heel and using a lot of the outside of my foot which is exactly where the pain was. Long story short- I'm fine for the race but need to concentrate on landing on my mid-foot more. Here's my schedule by the way:

Jan 6 AK
Jan 7 EP & dinner at Rose & Crown or Coral Reef
Jan 8 MK Lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern
Jan 9 HS
Jan 10 MK Breakfast at Chef Mickey's

Was that you last really long run before the race? It's always a bummer to feel injured before a race. I'm glad the Doc cleared you to run. I don't have meals planned yet. We'll be there the 6th through the 9th and will have park hoppers. We're doing this trip on the cheap so I think most of our meals will be qs.

DD will do her last long run this weekend. Lacrosse practice has kept her from focusing on running. Well, she does run a lot during practice. Decided she will have a doctor's appointment Friday and we will leave Thursday after school. Come back to Miami on Sunday. Don't know where we will stay Thursday night but we will be at CBR on Friday and BCV on Saturday. No meal plans. Mostly grab and go stuff.

Was that you last really long run before the race? It's always a bummer to feel injured before a race. I'm glad the Doc cleared you to run. I don't have meals planned yet. We'll be there the 6th through the 9th and will have park hoppers. We're doing this trip on the cheap so I think most of our meals will be qs.

I'm supposed to have another long run tomorrow (14 miles). The doc doesn't want me to do that- and I won't. Although the feet feel fine, I'm now battling a little cold. No big deal- I'd just like to get in a 10-miler one more time before the race. Maybe next weekend. If not, I'll still be ok. I've done enough work for this that the race shouldn't be a problem. Also, I decided to take a stop-and-smell-the-roses approach and just enjoy the scenery. Definitely won't be running for a good time. I'll send a PM with my cell number to the guys who will be at WDW when I'm there. If we happen to be at the same park on the same day, maybe we can meet up for a photo. If not, there's always next year.

Include me on the PM. Maybe we can get together for a celebratory beverage.

Include me on the PM. Maybe we can get together for a celebratory beverage.

Definitely. For the honor of being Dis Dad #400, I was supposed to buy someone a tasty bevearge. I still haven't made good on that so you may be the lucky recipient.

A heads up for anyone who was planning ahead for the 2012 Wine & Dine Half Marathon:
runDisney announced a new race today, the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-miler, which is being held on September 29, 2012 (which used to be the Wine & Dine weekend) and will run through Disney's Hollywood Studios. It's scheduled to be a nighttime race, like the Wine & Dine.

The Wine & Dine Half is being moved to November 9-10, 2012.

A heads up for anyone who was planning ahead for the 2012 Wine & Dine Half Marathon:
runDisney announced a new race today, the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-miler, which is being held on September 29, 2012 (which used to be the Wine & Dine weekend) and will run through Disney's Hollywood Studios. It's scheduled to be a nighttime race, like the Wine & Dine.

The Wine & Dine Half is being moved to November 9-10, 2012.

Saw this. Bummed that they switched the W&D (after having already announced those days in other rundisney material), as we're going down that weekend, mainly so DW could run the W&D half... Not sure how she'll feel about switching to a 10K (and she hates ToT!)... Someone else is going to need to break the news to her for me...

Decided to take Crash, the half marathon running, pirate princess out of school Friday. Will probably leave Thursday after school gets out. Friday morning registering and basically relax the rest of the day. We are staying at CBR that night and BCV on Saturday. Have no plans for dinner on Friday. What is everyone else doing? Need suggestions.

Saw this. Bummed that they switched the W&D (after having already announced those days in other rundisney material), as we're going down that weekend, mainly so DW could run the W&D half... Not sure how she'll feel about switching to a 10K (and she hates ToT!)... Someone else is going to need to break the news to her for me...

Can you push your trip back to November?

I'm not a runner, or anything even close to that.

However, since I'm trying to plan a trip to America around that time (actually, a couple weeks later), and I want to get in shape, I'm considering possibly doing the wine & dine half....possibly...

Is it reasonable to think that someone who has never run farther than a mile at any given time to run a half with less than a year of training? And a smoker, at that? (although, my new years resolution will be to quit...and I hope it sticks)

I know next to nothing about health or working out.

However, since I'm trying to plan a trip to America around that time (actually, a couple weeks later), and I want to get in shape, I'm considering possibly doing the wine & dine half....possibly...

Is it reasonable to think that someone who has never run farther than a mile at any given time to run a half with less than a year of training? And a smoker, at that? (although, my new years resolution will be to quit...and I hope it sticks)

It's very reasonable to think that you could run a half in a year, imo. That being said, you would need to be very smart about taking it slow at first, and getting a good base of conditioning under your belt, but if you were running 3 days a week, roughly 3 miles each day by the summer, I think you would be able to train and run a half, for sure. I have seen some friends and family go from non-runners to half marathon and full marathon finishers in a years time or so.

Keep us updated on your decision! I'll be pulling for you! :thumbsup2

I hated running and rarely if ever ran over a mile in my life. But I can say it is definitely possible to be ready for a half. I only started running this year to do a 10k but enjoyed it so much that I'll do the half in a couple weeks. If you get on an actual program and stick to it, you'll be surprised at how quickly you improve.

It's very reasonable to think that you could run a half in a year, imo. That being said, you would need to be very smart about taking it slow at first, and getting a good base of conditioning under your belt, but if you were running 3 days a week, roughly 3 miles each day by the summer, I think you would be able to train and run a half, for sure. I have seen some friends and family go from non-runners to half marathon and full marathon finishers in a years time or so.

Keep us updated on your decision! I'll be pulling for you! :thumbsup2

I had not really ever run before when I decided to do the January 2011 half marathon. I made the decision in August/September and went from non runner to finishing the race with about 4 months of training. It is absolutely possible to do this. There are three things you need.

1. Good Shoes. If at all possible get fitted by someone that can look at your stride and get you into the right type of shoes. This is really important, do not skimp on this.

2. A training plan. I would start with a couch to 5k plan. There are a lot of them anything that gives you a structure to follow is good. It's important as increasing milage too fast or increasing your pace too much are both good ways to injure yourself. Staying healthy is the best way to ensure you can train properly. After you finish the couch to 5k find a half marathon training program. If you are a novice Galloway's interval method is a great way to ease into endurance running ( and make sure you make it through training un injured.)

3. You'll need a place to run. Whether its a treadmill in a gym or a trail or greenway you need a space to run. Particularly as you get to your long runs you may find that you want to run outside. Some people have no issues with running on a treadmill though.

Good luck.

Rookie question here. I read in some of the paperwork that after the finish line you run through the chute and pick up your bag. Does this refer to the goody bag or is there a bag check? If there's a bag check, how does that work? Would I bring a bag or do they supply it? I would just like to have a way to stash my cell phone until the race is over.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter