Discover the Wild (and Healthy) Side!! – WISH May Lifestyle/Weight Challenge

May 2

The Oasis

Once we have entered the park, we first get into the Oasis. The Oasis offers us our first escape from the reality of the world outside the park boundaries. It puts us in touch with nature and sets the scene for the rest of the day. The Oasis is designed as a contrast between the manmade environment outside the park and designed to appear as natural as possible. The paths are winding, the architecture is formed by the foliage, the handrails are made from natural materials and there are plenty of animals to discover around every corner.

What new discoveries do you want to make this month? Is there any path that looks inviting and you would like to try? What do you want to leave behind?

I want to RE-discover the great feeling of a regular workout! I need to get back into the "no-excuses" zone! If I have time to check Facebook and time to post on the Disboards, then I have time for a workout (or at least a brisk walk!). Back to the basics of things like walking/running, Walk Away The Pounds videos, time on the treadmill, and on the food-end of things, more meal planning! I've been really slipping with regards to that... my eating has still been okay, but much less variety when I don't take extra time for prepping.

I'd like to leave behind the negative talk to myself every time I have a slip-up or when I convince myself that I am "fat" just because I'm a few pounds above goal.

Hey all! Hope you are having a great start to MAY! Wowza.... 2017 is going by so incredibly quickly. Last week I was talking to someone and I was referencing the fact that it was "the end of March" and she reminded me that it was just a few days away from MAY! Somehow I completely lost April. This year is just completely getting away from me!

Very surprisingly I got cancelled for work today, as they are postponing standardized testing and apparently I wasn't needed elsewhere. I'm sad because my next paycheck will be small (last week was school vacation week here), but glad that I have a little extra time to get stuff done here at the house! We are having a party here in less than 3 weeks and I've done absolutely NOTHING to get ready for it! Last time I had a party I spent 4 months getting ready.... and the time before that I spent a YEAR getting the house and yard spruced up. Now I've got a few weeks.... and very BUSY weeks at that! I'll just do my best, close the doors up stairs, dust and vaccume, and hope that the music, decor, and food distracts from the crabgrass, weeds, chipped paint, etc.

Off to get busy before I have to get ready for tonight's WW meeting............P

Well I never made it back yesterday. My daughter wanted to snuggle for a bit on the couch and we both dozed off. Me for only about 15 minutes but she slept for over an hour. She is still not feeling great. I took her back to the doctor yesterday and it is all her allergies. She is taking Zyrtec and it was Flonase but they took her off of Flonase and gave her another nasal spray that is stronger. She also got a referral to an allergist. However we can't get in until June 8th. Hopefully the new nasal spray will help more.

So to the questions I have missed. I am a 37 year old mom to a 11 and 9 year old. I have been married for 12 years. The kids keep me on my toes and May will be one busy month.

My goal this month is to lose 4 pounds. This will be touch with our busy schedule but it needs to happen. I will track my food again and get my 10,000 steps each day.

The path I want to take is to get back on track. I was doing really well until Mid March. I need to get back to what I was doing. I want to leave behind taking the lazy road and being a couch potato. I need to work for the results I want.

What new discoveries do you want to make this month? Is there any path that looks inviting and you would like to try? What do you want to leave behind?
I want to discover how to be well rounded. I have no problems running but seriously slack on strength training and eating well. I know I would feel so much better if I would have all of that down. This month I should get the opportunity to add in different exercises since I am taking a break from running. As far as leaving something behind, I would like that to be my sweet tooth!!

Instead of confessing I am feeling anxious about it, I over research hotels for upcoming trip and skipping walking or gym.
I get this! I will over research something and then realize I have wasted so much time. DH gets on me all the time for it. I mainly stress about getting the right hotel(or whatever I'm looking at) for the right price and he tells me to just book it and then let it go but it is so hard!

That's us on the float!

That is so cool! What an amazing day!

Is there any path that looks inviting and you would like to try? What do you want to leave behind?

I got a juicer from my sister-in-law and have been using it probably a few times a week. I want to try and get at least one or two glasses of greens each day. The only greens I like are salads so I really need to get more vegetable intake. I know it's better to eat them but I just can't get myself to choke them down.

I would like to leave behind junk food. April I ate way too much junk and have been feeling really sluggish so I'm hoping to clean it up a little this month.

I mainly stress about getting the right hotel(or whatever I'm looking at) for the right price and he tells me to just book it and then let it go but it is so hard!

The hours I waste on travel planning would probably add up to a second job but I really enjoy the planning part. Unfortunately, I also tend to stress myself out about the details. I also tend to plan a year or two in advance for trips so I'm always working on something.

Great question! I suppose the discovery I am looking for this month is finally integrating exercise into my life as something that just belongs and isn't a HUGE chore in my mind. I may be too optimistic LOL! In Jan and Feb, I dipped my toes in (once a week) -- then March and April I got in about waist deep (twice a week).... This month, I am taking the plunge (3-4 times a week)! I am scared but also excited to see what changes I can hopefully see with my body by the end of the month.

I am already loving the path so far. Bittersweet happenings this past week: I packed up my favorite 3 pairs of shorts, got to Orlando, and 2 of the 3 were uncomfortably too large. I had to manage with my other clothes and didn't get to wear my planned outfits. So a good problem to have, but I loved those two outfits :( I can only hope the other shorts will be too big by the end of this month though!

I want to leave behind the negative thoughts too. From the negative self-talk, to the less than positive attitude I can have sometimes when it comes time to go to the gym... I would love to see that minimized a bit.

The hours I waste on travel planning would probably add up to a second job but I really enjoy the planning part.

Hahaha! Same here! But I enjoy it too :-)

QOTD:

New Discoveries/Inviting paths: I'm still processing the thoughts introduced during the healthful living class I took over the weekend. I feel like a new world is opening up for me, including a new community of people. It goes down to a very cellular level on how I live in my body and what I can change. Something as simple as knowing I can clear the stuffiness in my nose by doing an exercise is actually kind of mind blowing. I'm also digging in to 'hygge', which in it's simplest definition is about simplicity, warmth, connection and contentment... enjoying the good things in life with good people. I feel like (re)building my life in this way will help to fill the gaps I seem to be filling with food.

What I want to leave behind: I second @HappyGrape's thought of leaving behind excessive internet usage which includes a news diet. I've been working on this for a while, but it really hit home while we were in Texas... I didn't watch the news even once during the week. For much of the trip, while we were driving around in the Texas countryside my Sister had her head buried in her phone looking at her FB feed and pictures of goats and castles. I did finally call her on it, but it was also a good reminder for me - you can't be where you are if you aren't paying attention to where you are. I no longer check FB or IG in the morning when I get up or on the bus ride in. I haven't turned company email back on on my phone, as I no longer get after hour emails that can't wait until the next day... and if it's turned on I will check it. I'm now working on reducing the times during the day that I check FB/IG or CNN or MSNBC. Last step will be to put my phone way in the evenings.

I'm Ivy, married with one 13 yo daughter. I'm not in great shape but consider myself a work-in-progress. My goal for this month is 60 running miles and 40 biking miles.

Welcome back Ivy! In my opinion, anyone who plans to run 60 miles (and is realistically expecting to be able to reach that goal) should not call themselves not in great shape!! I think your work might have progressed more than you think already! :goodvibes

I'm in and love the theme, it is perfect for May! I am so excited to see Pandora, I was lucky enough to snag a spot during the AP preview!

Oh!! So, jealous!! I hope you will let us know what you thought! Which day have you signed up for? And Pandora was really the idea I had some weeks ago about how great AK with its theme of conservation would actually translate into questions for our thread.

I lost 13 kg year ago. The good news I kept 9 off. The bad I regained 4 and I this is above my threshold of tolerance and I want to lose the weight before in the next two months.

Sorry that you regained some. But you are doing the right thing to get back into doing something about it before it gets worse! Good luck on the new job as well!

I'm here! Thanks for saving me a seat! How appropriate to have an Animal Kingdom theme, as Pandora is opening later this month and I'm sure there will be a LOT of focus on DAK!

Yes, Pandora is definitely the inspiration behind the theme! But I think there will be so many more opportunities for great questions due to the nature of the park.

I am in! Starting to train for the Wine and Dine 5k and trying to lose weight.

My May goals are to lose 10lbs and walk at least 5 miles per week (vs. 0 now).

:welcome: Great to have you here! Signing up for a race is a great way to motivate oneself to get into better shape! We have plenty of runners here that will be happy to help a newbie with training for their first event (even when you are currently starting out as a walker!). Don't be shy if you have any questions and feel free to hop into the conversation! I can tell you that nearly everybody finds that being active on this thread helps them to stay focussed on their goals!

1. Lose 8 pounds
2. Get my step counts back up to an average of 10,000 per day

Sounds like it is simple enough! I hope you will be able to get both goals!

Nice theme @Flossbolna - looking forward to the tour!

Thanks! I am really excited to share things about AK, it is my favorite park at WDW.

edited to add: Airfare and hotel is booked for November!

Yeah!! Where are you going to stay?

Last year, I lost 30 pounds and then let me mind start playing tricks on myself, and I gained about half of it back. This month is a new beginning!! I've got 2.5 months until our summer family vacation and I'm ready to be below what I was last year when we left for our summer vacation!

My goal this month is to lose 8 pounds. That's just 2 pounds a week.

Sometimes getting back into things is really the hardest part. I hope that May will do the trick for you! I still think that losing 30 pounds and then managing to keep half of that off for nearly a year is an accomplishment that you can be proud of! How many people put everything back on immediately. So, don't be too harsh on yourself.

I'm planning on tracking everything in My Fitness Pal because I know that works for me. I also need to start making better plans for my lunches. I'd think my worst problem would be with family dinners, but I'm pretty good at serving a decent main course along with salad and other veggies. My main problem is with my lunches. I work close to home, so I go home for lunch and if I don't have a plan, I just graze and don't really eat anything healthy and often I don't even eat anything that is like a meal. It's really awful! I need to pull up what I ate last year when I was doing well. I think I'll do that today before my lunch! Get some ideas back and start that way.

Lunches are my downfall, too. One thing that I have found that really helps me when I know that I am not eating the right stuff to fuel me properly is to actually make a real plan. Can you prepare stuff for your lunch, so that when you get back home, you just pick something out of the fridge?

Hi all! I'm in for May as well. Stepping up my working out game this month. I want to do a minimum of 12 classes this month. I am hoping beyond hope that this brings the scale down to about 5 lbs, but I'm trying not to focus on that since I am building muscles I've never had before Haha!

Welcome back!! Looks like you are starting to get really in shape! That is fantastic!

I am Melanie, SAHM with 5 kids. I am a runner and have lost about 40lbs since I have taken it up. For May I'm not going to have a big goal, I just want to maintain. I have a half this Sunday and I am going for a PR. Afterwards I will be taking a 2 week rest. I will be on a cruise for some of those days, so I don't want to set unreal expectations for myself.

This sounds like a realistic goal for a month with vacation and a race!

Sounds like it is simple enough! I hope you will be able to get both goals!
Thanks! I am really excited to share things about AK, it is my favorite park at WDW.
Yeah!! Where are you going to stay?

Staying at POP... the price is just too good to pass up. And I want to do some add-ons this trip, like the ROL dining package and the tour where you get to feed the Giraffe's

Tell us a little about yourself, what you want achieve and how you plan to get there.

I am Tammy I live in MT and am going to be 44 this month. I am married with a 12 year old and 9 year old daughters. We raise rabbits currently for 4H shows though now that we have ARBA quality ones are looking at getting into some of the ARBA shows. Between Mother's Day, My birthday, and a few graduation parties my goal this month is to maintain my current weight though I won't be one bit upset if I lost 3-5 pounds instead. Weather here is ifffy as we are in the rainy season so getting outside to walk could be a challenge. I plan to try and keep up with water drinking, get some exercise 3-4 times a week, and to be mindful about what I am eating at least 27 days out of the month in order to meet this goal.
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/05/...m=Facebook&_r=1&referer=http://m.facebook.com

I would like to try and find at least 2 new healthy recipes that my family will eat this month. I want to leave not having a path to walk in my house aside this month by motivating my family to help me keep the house picked up instead of drop everything in the walk way. Though the response I got from 12 year old when I asked her if she was going to do the dishes she said she would do last night tells me to be prepared to do it myself.

I am a bit short on time and still behind with replies, but wanted to make sure to give a welcome two more new participants!

Hi. I'm in. Thanks for organizing this.

I'm in the midst of trying to lose weight and train for a 5k at the end of June. I'm very overweight now. I do track my food on my fitness pal and have done so off and on for years.

My goal for May is to get back to some of my healthier habits:
  • Get 10,000 steps per day
  • Complete my runs 3 times per week
My next Disney trip is in early September, but I have a cruise coming up in mid -July

:welcome: great to have you here! Hope the training for the 5K goes well As I said to someone else, there are plenty of runners here on the thread that will be happy to help with any training questions.

Lot's of great travel plans - those are always a good motivation to stay on track!

I want in, please! I haven't participated in a WISH thread in about 2 years now, but it's time for some accountability! I'll come back in a bit with my intro and plan, but I can go ahead and say that my goal is to lose 5 lbs. this month.

:welcome: back! Sorry to hear that you need the accountability, but you have come for a great spot for this!

May 3

Woohoo Wednesday!!

DSC06296.jpg

Today we share and celebrate the small and large good moments that we had today (or in the last week). Pick one or more and let us all celebrate them together.

Nothing really going one here right now. Work is crazy right now as we just selected 300+ students for our scholarship. We are in the process of sending letters and getting ready for all of them to come in over the summer. Home is crazy too. We have a dance recital coming up with all the prep going on now My son plays baseball and the season has now started. We have all of the end of the school year stuff happening.

I think the biggest woohoo is getting my daughter into the allergist. We still have a month to wait but I am really hoping that we will be able to get something that will help her.

++++++++++

Last night I did not get my 10,000 steps but I got 8,000. I don't think i will be able to get to the rec tonight. My son has his final band concert tonight. I should have no problem the next few days as we have nothing going on..

May 3

Woohoo Wednesday!!

Today we share and celebrate the small and large good moments that we had today (or in the last week). Pick one or more and let us all celebrate them together.

I do love woo-hoo Wednesdays.... it is the "NO EXCUSES" time to celebrate things like non-scale victories! But I admit that sometimes I struggle to celebrate something that really pertains to ME, as opposed to my kids. LOVE, love, love my kids, but I think I need to celebrate ME once in a while! With that being said, I'll just say that I lead 8 WW meetings last week (in addition to my 24/7 chat schedule) and it was GREAT to think that I helped so many people on their path to a healthier life! I am humbled by the faith people have in me, but I just remind them that there is nothing MAGIC to weight loss..... they just need to believe in themselves and in the plan!!

Morning all! Working at school today and then home to work a 24/7 shift later tonight. I have bumped up my online availability for the summer because it pays better than my regular job and I like it so much more! Hoping that with summer vacations and all that I can increase my hours there and still work 30-40 at my maintenance job. I'm on the cusp of decided whether or not to buy myself a WDW AP so I can visit with DD more often this summer, but it is definitely an expense that I wasn't saving up for! I'm planning to open a Poshmark shop this week (been trying to get around to it for weeks now) and if I can make at least HALF of the AP cost with that, then I will buy it. Also trying to sell some of my Disney stuff in a Disney online FB yard sale.... every penny goes into the AP fund! Wish me luck!

Proctoring tests this morning, which is why I had time to pop in to say hello, but the rest of the day will be busy! See you tomorrow!.......P

WooHoo!

So far I am two for two in getting my 10,000 steps in, with surprising little extra effort.

I had another ah-ha moment yesterday - my Chiropractor took x-rays of my neck, which for some reason we hadn't done for four years. The arthritis looks worst but is still in the OK/manageable range and seeing the pictures gives him a better idea of what to do to keep me in good shape for the next 10 years. I also have cronic discomfort in my right shoulder and was starting to wonder if the arthritis had spread there as well... it hasn't but the bad spot in my neck is actually very low, so it is also impacting the shoulder.

It is supposed to warm up here - finally in to the 70's - which will be nice, even though it is damp outside.

Tonight I'm going to start cleaning up and organizing the craft room, so I can do some sewing. The crafting retreat is the perfect place to be wearing hand-made, so I want to get somethings put together.

Happy Wednesday everyone!

Edited to add another woohoo - I am finally starting my "Magic of Myth" work shop... only four months behind :). But it is the right time, and it dovetails perfectly into the re-thinking and re-envisioning that was triggered by the healthful living workshop.

Last edited:
@sweetpeama Interesting article! It's hard to change the mindset that has been so indoctrinated into us, but I do think they are on to something. Just like with most things in life, we have to find a healthy balance with mindful eating and exercise for sure.

Woohoo Wednesday - Let's see.... got to go to my favorite Mexican restaurant last night! It's an hour away from home, so it's always a treat when we have an excuse to go. The scale is not woohooing, but I am! LOL Good thing I am going to the gym today!

It is one of those weeks!! I don't know what is up with my house this past month but now two kids have strep. Two have a fever but no sore throat and one is fine. I'm actually waiting at the doc right now because my throat feels funny and with travel and a big race on Sunday I'm not taking any chances. I also have gained 6lbs!!! What the what?! I know it's all my fault, I didn't gain while on vacation and continued to eat bad after getting home. Because I was being a moron and thought hey look at that I can eat bad and not gain weight. Hopefully it's not going to stick around and lots of water will help flush it out.

My Woohoo for today will be that my training plan is coming to an end and hopefully all my hard work will pay off on Sunday!!

Hi, new to WISH but I would really like to get back to where I was with health and fitness about a year ago. I'm finishing up a class with my final actually on Mother's Day so I want to start with walking or indoor workouts for 30 minutes 3X per week for the next couple of weeks.

I would like to up my distance a bit then later in the month to get ready for my trip for the DIS 20th at the end of the month. Thanks for this thread. It's a great idea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter