Disclosing special needs

DancinBear63

Earning My Ears
I'll be taking my 9 yo to the parks this fall for the first time. He has sensory processing disorder and ADHD, which make it REALLY hard for him to maintain "appropriate" behaviors if he has to stand in line for a long time (which is why we've only done DCL to this point). While he would definitely benefit from being able to wait off line as much as possible, I also know that he becomes very upset when I talk to people about his needs. This might sound like a silly question, but how close does he have to be during the DAS request? (I expect that if there's a long line, then CM will have full view of his need, lol.)

I was at WDW last month and we went to get a DAS card for my 11 year old nephew who has anxiety and sensory issues. They didn’t ask us anything! I was shocked. I just said that we’d like to get a DAS for my nephew and the guy asked his name and how many were in the party and did whatever he needed to do with the magic band. He even set the time for our first ride since we were going to miss our Fastpass. I know this isn’t normal procedure but it happened to us. We only ended up using the DAS one other time as DN isn’t a big ride fan.

I believe PP’s experience is more the exception than the norm. You should be prepared to briefly explain your son’s needs as related to waiting in a standard queue environment. He does not need to be right next to you the whole time; he can wait off to the side out of earshot. Or you could write a short bulleted list of his needs and tell the CM it is difficult to talk about with him present. He will be called over to have his picture taken.

Enjoy your vacation!

He does not have to be right there with you while you explain his needs, but they will need to see him prior to issuing the pass and he will need to come up to have his picture taken. you can also write a letter explaining his needs (they can read a letter written by you although they don't read doctors notes).

Wow! That is simultaneously encouraging and concerning.
I agree. It was the first experience I’d had with a DAS. DN was kind of behind one of the other adults and is a big kid for his age so maybe the CM saw his anxiety. I was shocked that he didn’t ask anything. I was hesitant about even getting one but thought it might help get him to be willing to try more rides.

If this ever happens at DLR, the suggestions above will work, too. Also, if applying at City Hall in DL, there is a small bench/seat along the left wall where your son could sit in full sight of you, but where he wouldn't have to hear you converse with the CM. Then, when the time for taking a photo came up, you could just call him over. In Chamber of Commerce at DCA, I don't think there is a seat, but the area is large enough that your son could stand along the wall while you talk with the CM, then you could call him over for his photo.

You can also write him needs down on a pice of paper and let the CM know you have some concerns for your child in lines and he dose not like people talking about his need so you wrote things down. The CM can read things form you but not dr notes I would be quick in what you write down just a few bolt point.

I was at WDW last month and we went to get a DAS card for my 11 year old nephew who has anxiety and sensory issues. They didn’t ask us anything! I was shocked. I just said that we’d like to get a DAS for my nephew and the guy asked his name and how many were in the party and did whatever he needed to do with the magic band. He even set the time for our first ride since we were going to miss our Fastpass. I know this isn’t normal procedure but it happened to us. We only ended up using the DAS one other time as DN isn’t a big ride fan.
We had the same experience when we first requested the DAS. Part of me was concerned as we were not asked any questions, but the other part of me thought they probably saw his behavior just waiting in line for that (which wasn't long) and probably didn't need to ask why he needed it - they saw it first hand. I still would prefer they ask, however. Any kid could be acting up in the GR line - they just got to Disney World and want to get started on Disney, not wait in a line at Guest Relations. It's not really indicative of how they would handle lines in general.

We had the same experience when we first requested the DAS. Part of me was concerned as we were not asked any questions, but the other part of me thought they probably saw his behavior just waiting in line for that (which wasn't long) and probably didn't need to ask why he needed it - they saw it first hand. I still would prefer they ask, however. Any kid could be acting up in the GR line - they just got to Disney World and want to get started on Disney, not wait in a line at Guest Relations. It's not really indicative of how they would handle lines in general.

True. I think everybody's "inner Tigger" is exposed at Disney.

I believe PP’s experience is more the exception than the norm. You should be prepared to briefly explain your son’s needs as related to waiting in a standard queue environment. He does not need to be right next to you the whole time; he can wait off to the side out of earshot. Or you could write a short bulleted list of his needs and tell the CM it is difficult to talk about with him present. He will be called over to have his picture taken.

Enjoy your vacation!

Thanks!

Will you have another adult with you? What we do is, I get in line and my husband waits with the kids off to the side. Sometimes that Guest Relations line is longer than a ride! When I am getting close to the front of the line I text or wave him over. Sometimes that inside lobby area is very crowded and, at least at MK, they had a quiet room off to the side we were able to go in. One visit the CM came outside to us so he didn't have to go all the way in. They are very accommodating.

At WDW, we are 4/4 on not being asked why we need it. It's very strange. Latest was last July. I literally just said "we need to get a DAS for my son" and the CM whipped out her iPad to scan his band and take his picture and we were asked "are you familiar with how it works?" I said yes, and she said "you're all set then!"

At DLR, every 60 days for the last 4 years, we have been asked why we need it.

I get that your son is self conscious, but this is a good opportunity to teach him about self advocacy and maybe HE can explain his difficulties to the CM? In the future, this is going to be his responsibility so he should get used to discussing his issues if he is seeking assistance for them. My autistic son just turned 12 and he tells the CMs "I have a hard time in the lines because people get too close to me. It makes me feel scared." We worked up to this over the years, but it started with him standing there listening to me tell the CMs why he needed an alternate waiting area.

This was my experience for my older son and myself as well. I have had one for my 7 year old and explained all of his needs years ago. We just renewed it after that. Then I had a trip with my oldest and requested one for him. They asked me if he ever had one and I said no, we had one for his brother that we normally used but he wasn't with us. No questions about his issues at all. But while he doesn't "look" special needs he was visibly very uncomfortable, shy and perhaps even anxious. I had my first adult only trip with none of my children in January and went to see about getting a DAS for myself. They asked if I had ever had one and when I said no, but my children did, and they didn't ask about why I needed one. I was fully prepared to share the issues I have, they just didn't ask.

But like others said, I wouldn't go there expecting that to happen. My youngest who I did have to explain for, I stepped away from him when I started to explain his issues and spoke softly so I was just out of ear shot. He has ADHD and is on the spectrum, but he does not know this. His doctor uses terminology to him about how his brain just works differently and told him he has a mirror brain in regards to his dyslexia. Once I finished explaining she asked him if it was okay to take his picture and scan his band and he was fine with that.

There are definitely ways to get around having to disclose it in front of him, but I also think at his age it might be worth putting a positive spin on things and helping him learn to advocate for himself. Good luck, I hope it goes well regardless.

The actual desk area at guest relations usually isn't crowded. When my daughter was younger (probably 7-9ish) I just pointed at a little space off to the side and asked her to wait there while I took care of some paperwork. Mostly she coped by spinning in circles, so she was fine. The one time she took off at a run, guest relations had the gac waiting when I got back with her.

I'll be taking my 9 yo to the parks this fall for the first time. He has sensory processing disorder and ADHD, which make it REALLY hard for him to maintain "appropriate" behaviors if he has to stand in line for a long time (which is why we've only done DCL to this point). While he would definitely benefit from being able to wait off line as much as possible, I also know that he becomes very upset when I talk to people about his needs. This might sound like a silly question, but how close does he have to be during the DAS request? (I expect that if there's a long line, then CM will have full view of his need, lol.)

How does the issue get handled at school? Does he know he has difficulties at school? Have you talked to him about what is required to get a DAS? I think we underestimate how much a child knows and processes (you say he gets upset about it - does he get angry right then, or tell you later?) Could you talk to him how the DAS is just a tool, and bring up glasses, hearing aids, wheelchairs, etc, and how those are just tools too? Who made him feel bad about needing to use a tool? Friends at school?

At WDW, we are 4/4 on not being asked why we need it. It's very strange. Latest was last July. I literally just said "we need to get a DAS for my son" and the CM whipped out her iPad to scan his band and take his picture and we were asked "are you familiar with how it works?" I said yes, and she said "you're all set then!"

At DLR, every 60 days for the last 4 years, we have been asked why we need it.

Could it be because you are already in the system at WDW and they are just renewing it? DLR is smaller and had a huge problem with GAC abuse, so perhaps they are a little more diligent for that reason.

How does the issue get handled at school? Does he know he has difficulties at school? Have you talked to him about what is required to get a DAS? I think we underestimate how much a child knows and processes (you say he gets upset about it - does he get angry right then, or tell you later?) Could you talk to him how the DAS is just a tool, and bring up glasses, hearing aids, wheelchairs, etc, and how those are just tools too? Who made him feel bad about needing to use a tool? Friends at school?

Could it be because you are already in the system at WDW and they are just renewing it? DLR is smaller and had a huge problem with GAC abuse, so perhaps they are a little more diligent for that reason.

I doubt it. They told me that they don't keep records of DAS holders on file.

I doubt it. They told me that they don't keep records of DAS holders on file.
This is what DLR CMs have told me, too. They say they have a record that I've had a DAS before and that it has expired, but they keep no record of why it was given. One reason is because the need for the DAS can change from visit to visit. It isn't a big deal to explain the need for a DAS each time. CMs are supposed to ask only two questions: 1)What is the problem with standing in lines? 2)How will having a DAS help with this problem? Since there is no need to go into details about diagnoses or medical issues, one or two sentences is usually enough to take care of everything. Wash, rinse, repeat every 60 days.

This is what DLR CMs have told me, too. They say they have a record that I've had a DAS before and that it has expired, but they keep no record of why it was given. One reason is because the need for the DAS can change from visit to visit. It isn't a big deal to explain the need for a DAS each time. CMs are supposed to ask only two questions: 1)What is the problem with standing in lines? 2)How will having a DAS help with this problem? Since there is no need to go into details about diagnoses or medical issues, one or two sentences is usually enough to take care of everything. Wash, rinse, repeat every 60 days.

How would the average person know what a DAS is? They wouldn't be able to answer the second question, would they?

DLR has a more 'frequent visitor' population, doesn't it? I think they ask each time to see if they can cut down on DAS abuse. WDW gets a much broader population, sees that the DAS has been given before, gives one again. I believe the GAC abuse was more of an issue at DLR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter