Disappointing New Year's at OKW

Sounds disappointing.

It would've been nice for WDW to be a little more imaginative in regards to NYE. It's usually a big deal. Or having a character come out at each resort that last hour. They're Disney, it shouldn't be hard to come up with a creative little something or other that guests could remember the unique pandemic year they spent at WDW in a sweet way. WDW dropped the ball here.
Friday afternoon they had Goofy and Pluto on the Hospitality House porch. I couldn't help thinking, why not on New Year's Eve? Why 4 pm on the day after?
But then again, they've cut back tremendously. No map of the resort in the room. No more printed schedule. Movie? It's only mentioned by the CM conducting the pool party--which has also been cut back. Information pamphletmfor DVC owners (stores and restaurants offering discounts, etc.)? Gone.

Over the years, I’ve learned to manage expectations with Disney’s “free” celebrations. One time my 6 year old daughter and husband stayed behind at night to attend the “glo wild” party at Kidani Village while I went to Fantasmic! The party ended up being glow-sticks passed out and music played off a tiny blue tooth speaker. They had fun but it definitely wasn’t a big hooplah.

Wow. What I saw was pretty close to the horizon, so maybe not professional. If that was people setting off HUGE displays near their houses, all I can say is don't try that in my hometown of NYC.
I don't know why, but people in our town on LI have magnificent fireworks displays about every 2 weeks :confused3
Aside from holidays (all) or celebrations (any), it appears to happen when a traffic light is fixed, someone spots a cardinal, a lost dog is found, someone powerwashes their driveway, the moon is out, etc :rotfl2:

Sheesh, if that was a resident setting off 12 minutes of huge fireworks, that is very, very strange.
But thanks for the link!
Actually residents in Florida buy lots of fireworks and we watched from our front yard for about 40 minutes. They had big ones just like the parks, but looking East....Sea World had a huge fireworks show . My sons neighborhood in 4 Corners area had a lot of huge ones, too.

I don't know why, but people in our town on LI have magnificent fireworks displays about every 2 weeks :confused3
:rotfl2:
I'm in the Five Towns. There is a family that sets off big displays, but thankfully only on the 4th of July.

Marriott World Center was likely the source of Fireworks seen towards the East, while Margaritaville was likely what was seen towards the West.

Marriott World Center was likely the source of Fireworks seen towards the East, while Margaritaville was likely what was seen towards the West.
Bingo. Looking at satellite images, Marriott is exactly in line for the fireworks as seen from OKW. Thanks!

Saratoga Springs had a dance party at the High Rock Springs pool, they dropped a ball near the arcade at 9 and midnight, gave out glow sticks, 2021 glasses and other little treats and favors. They had a dance party and trivia game for the kids as well. They loved it! It was a lot of fun but I honestly didn’t expect anything either. We thought the fireworks were from Disney Springs so the Marriott makes perfect sense.

we checked out on NYE and stopped back by after dinner at Epcot before heading to our friends house to check out the NYE activities. We did the scavenger hunt with the kids, got the party hats and then headed on our way. We typically spend NYE at a resort, and from what I could see, though scaled back slightly (a few less games, etc at the pool) it seemed like the regular NYE festivities for the resorts. We usually get hats, glow sticks and sometimes necklaces or something but its really just some fun. One year we played bingo poolside. It's never been a HUGE party. We stayed at our friends in orlando this year...and i honestly thought civil war had broken out there were SOOO MANY fireworks the noise around their lake was INSANE.

This is what I found on-line before booking NYE at OKW. It seemed like a lot of fun. It was certainly much more elaborate than what they did this year. In fact, they had so many hats left over they were going around the pool giving them out two days later.OKW New Years Eve.png

This is what I found on-line before booking NYE at OKW. It seemed like a lot of fun. It was certainly much more elaborate than what they did this year. In fact, they had so many hats left over they were going around the pool giving them out two days later.View attachment 550574

Have to say it again. Pandemic and worst financial year ever. These are extra things to the norm as it is. Picking this year to go for New Years never had a chance to be the same as other years. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter