Disappointing Adult Cruise On The Dream

With the rotational model and assigned dining times, and Palo/Remy, DCL doesn't think they'll have enough customers for a buffet without wasting a lot of food...and they probably wouldn't. But, I think they should have all the pool deck options open. The grill area food is cooked to order, so there wouldn't be much waste, and the salad/fruit/sandwich area is all refrigerated and can stay at the right temp for the night.

They used to occasionally have a late night buffet for late all aboard times. Our 2018 Magic cruise has an 11pm time in St Petersburg. They had a buffet in Cabanas from 10:30-11:30, and only 2/3 of the MDRs open for you to go to anytime, you didn't get your normal dining team or table.
Yes, we would at least have appreciated the pool deck options on our cruise! Seems so weird that they would resist this.

Caesar all the time for me. I have the Cheesecake plus shaved Parmigianino Reggiano. The combo really is very good. The Parm-Reg is also wonderful with the warm Apple Crisp/Vanilla Ice Cream and 2 double espresso for YC dinner dessert.

Hoping you-all continue enjoying all of your cruising.
So you put cheese on top of your cheese cake? Gives it a nuttiness, perhaps? I am familiar with the idea of cheese in apple pie; I can imagine this variety would be superior to cheddar.

So you put cheese on top of your cheese cake? Gives it a nuttiness, perhaps? I am familiar with the idea of cheese in apple pie; I can imagine this variety would be superior to cheddar.
36 month Parm Reg is phenomenal but much is 24 month and sooooo much better than cheddar.

BTW, it's a fork full of cheesecake then a bite of Parm Reg. Need the smoothness on the tongue of the cheesecake then the contrast of the Parm grit and flavor. Sounds yucky but once appreciated it is divine. The double espresso really tops it off.

Now I understand the atrium being quiet for you .

We just got back from a Princess cruise to Alaska and it was definitely the hub and everything goes on there. I really enjoyed that part but it was pretty loud in the restaurants bordering the balconies. Hard to get a seat too sometimes.

Lots of dancing there that I really don’t see on Disney either.

Wish the food was better though. Miss the servers following us too and same table each night.

We just got back from a Princess cruise to Alaska and it was definitely the hub and everything goes on there. I really enjoyed that part but it was pretty loud in the restaurants bordering the balconies. Hard to get a seat too sometimes.

Wish the food was better though. Miss the servers following us too and same table each night.
Yes! The atrium on Princess ships is a constant epicenter of fun. Dancing, games, live music…it’s super lively and filled with energy. The atrium on the Dream, a spectacular space, seemed to me to be usually quiet and dead, and used primarily for the queues for photo ops with the characters. I think it’s vastly, and inexplicably, underutilized.

Agree that Princess could improve their food. I felt it was about average, a little better than DCL but not as good as other lines.

The fact that Cabanas dinner service has not returned since the pandemic may be cutting corners. But DCL never offered regular buffet dinner service.
I am almost certain DCL had regular buffet service for dinner way back. This was back when shorts/tank tops/bathing suits were not permitted in the MDR and newbies would come here and complain that they're on vacation and don't want to have to pack long pants for their family. Many people here would reply something like, "If you don't feel like getting dressed after your day at the pool, just go eat at the buffet instead." This was back when Formal Night was actually formal, a suit was required in Palo, and they'd advertise appointments to have a updo at the hair salon.
On our first DCL cruise in Feb 2007, on formal night there was a father with 3 boys all in tuxedos and looked so sharp, like little ducks following along. lol. Not everyone wore a tux but most wore a suit or dress shirt with a tie. This was before the days of luggage fees on airlines.

This was ds's complaint when we tried RC. "Is this all we do for dinner every night? Just come sit here?"

What annoyed me most was having to sign out towels at the pool. :rolleyes: This leaves every parent constanting harping on their kids to keep a close eye on their towel and not forget it anywhere. Carnival does this too. Our kids got a little better at it after 3x on Carnival but then we tried DCL and never looked back so then it didn't matter if they brought their towels back to the room or forgot it on their chair. By the time we tried RC, they were very accustomed to DCL and I was back to nagging about where they left their towels.
It's a miracle we didn't have a $200 "lost towel" bill by the end of it.
As if we really wanted to steal their nasty, stained towels anyway. :scared:

Agree that Princess could improve their food. I felt it was about average, a little better than DCL but not as good as other lines.
Sometimes I think it’s not even the line, I’ve noticed it varies from ship to ship.

For example on our last 2 Princess Sailings. Caribbean Princess was meh (IC was good as always, though), but the food on Regal Princess was markedly better. Not sure if that is due to Regal being a newer Royal class ship vs the older Grand class that the Caribbean is, but it was noticeable, especially in the buffet. Regal Princess buffet was miles better than Caribbean Princess.

I am almost certain DCL had regular buffet service for dinner way back. This was back when shorts/tank tops/bathing suits were not permitted in the MDR and newbies would come here and complain that they're on vacation and don't want to have to pack long pants for their family. Many people here would reply something like, "If you don't feel like getting dressed after your day at the pool, just go eat at the buffet instead." This was back when Formal Night was actually formal, a suit was required in Palo, and they'd advertise appointments to have a updo at the hair salon.
On our first DCL cruise in Feb 2007, on formal night there was a father with 3 boys all in tuxedos and looked so sharp, like little ducks following along. lol. Not everyone wore a tux but most wore a suit or dress shirt with a tie. This was before the days of luggage fees on airlines.
First started sailing with DCL in 1998, if they ever routinely offered a dinner buffet, I was never aware of it. There were sometimes special things like a dessert buffet, a midnight buffet, a pirate buffet, but not regular dinner. Both Topsiders and Beach Blanket sometimes offered an optional sit down dinner with a selection of items from the main dining rooms. Perhaps that was what people meant when they advised people to go to the buffet for dinner when they did not feel like dressing up.

I think a lot of them are fair criticisms. I actually think Disney's dining is one of their cons sometimes. It's awesome to get to know your servers and they get to know you too - they'll know what drinks we like, our favorite types of food, will ask about our day, etc. - but sometimes you feel guilty for skipping the MDR and then the whole sales pitch. I like how on other lines you can eat whenever and wherever you want like a true vacation. I've had some meals be rushed and some be slow - it's a crapshoot sometimes.

As for the family pool comment, that is to be expected on Disney but I've seen it on other lines too. Cruise ship pools are small so you're naturally going to see "human soup." I'd expect it especially on DCL, but it's common on other lines as well.

Agree on the atrium but not sure what else they could do there either. They do have meet and greets and some other things in there but a lot of the activities are outdoor based or in the bars or in the family club (the name is escaping me).

For your cast member interaction at the end, that's bad. Hopefully it was just in the heat of the moment and not a recurring incident with others. You could probably let Disney know if you think that's warranted.

DCL may not be for you, and that's totally fine. As an adult group, Disney doesn't always work for us every time either. Sometimes we want a more "traditional" cruise line to switch it up, or want/need something more cost effective. You will of course get the Disney Cruise Line diehards here, and I will go to bat for DCL too, but I am not against trying other lines. If you do return, hopefully it's a much better experience in some of those spots.

First started sailing with DCL in 1998, if they ever routinely offered a dinner buffet, I was never aware of it. There were sometimes special things like a dessert buffet, a midnight buffet, a pirate buffet, but not regular dinner. Both Topsiders and Beach Blanket sometimes offered an optional sit down dinner with a selection of items from the main dining rooms. Perhaps that was what people meant when they advised people to go to the buffet for dinner when they did not feel like dressing up.
It used to be a scaled back version of the MDR and I think is where they would train new servers before they moved to Animators Palate, Tritons, etc.

Hey everyone!

First of all, my wife and I are huge Disney fans, happy DVC owners, and don’t have kids. Over the last several years, I’ve read a bunch of enthusiastic reviews of Disney Cruise Line, listened to equally glowing podcasts from podcasters turned travel agents, and watched endless positive YouTube videos on the subject. Having done my homework, I thought it would be fun, prior to a DVC vacation at WDW, to take a five night cruise on the Dream in late April of this year. Alas, our experience failed to match, or even come close, to our expectations.

Having sailed on pretty much all the cruise lines, we’re pretty experienced cruisers. I thought it would be helpful to list some positive and negatives concerning our experience. I’m also genuinely curious if we’re being too critical, or perhaps making unfair judgements. There were, of course, tons of kids and families who were obviously having a great time.

THE GOOD

1. The design of our ship was beautiful. The central atrium is a wonder to behold. The woodwork and attention to detail throughout the ship, as well as all the fun paintings and artwork, made the environment feel really special. Our cabin, a balcony veranda, though small, was clean, well maintained, and nicely designed.

2. Service and friendliness were mostly superlative. Almost every crew member seemed happy to be there, and was always happy to answer questions and help out. Our stateroom attendants were great.

3. Our two ports, Grand Cayman and Castaway Cay, were beautiful and a blast to visit.

4. The shows were fun. Loved the fireworks!

5. Dinner at Palo was delicious. What a nice spot to have a meal!

6. The adult area at the front of the ship was quiet and nice. When it got windy, though, it would close and there was really nowhere else to go. The adult only pool wasn’t really for us because it was crowded and loud.

THE BAD

1. Of course we were prepared for lots of kids, but the main pool area on sea days was almost unbelievably crowded with a solid, monumentally packed together mass of kids and families. This being Disney, it’s probably not a fair criticism, but for us it was really off putting. We stayed away from it.

2. The food in the dining rooms and Cabanas, the buffet, was below average. As I’ve mentioned, we’ve been on almost every cruise line. I don’t think we were wrong to expect better from Disney.

3. My wife and I were lucky to get a table for two for the early seating. But it was made clear to us that this is normally almost impossible, so we shouldn’t ever expect it again. That alone would keep us away in the future. Why was it even listed as a request on the pre cruise app?

4. The atrium, though beautiful, is under utilized. On other cruise lines it’s the lively center of the ship, where something is always happening, and there is fun to be had. On the Dream it seemed like a big, weird dead space, mostly empty during the day except for character meet and greets.

5. The adult bar entertainment area, “The District,” was a series of windowless dark caverns. Weird.

THE UGLY

1. Every meal in the dining rooms was incredibly rushed. Food was delivered almost instantaneously and replaced with the next dish almost immediately after it was finished, so the experience was never particularly pleasant or relaxing. I guess that’s better than waiting forever, as we occasionally have on other lines, but still not optimum.

2. Our waiter and assistant waiter were friendly and competent, which was fine, but didn’t really go out of their way to make the dining experience special. Not great, but no big deal. But on the second to last night of the cruise, they both walked up to the table with stern, concerned expressions and stood there awkwardly. After a long uncomfortable pause, they launched into an long uncomfortable dissertation on the fact that we would be receiving a questionnaire in our state room, and, pretty much, their jobs, well being, and potential contract renewals depended on us giving them all 10s.

We’ve all had this from sales people in other environments, but on a Disney ship, on vacation, in the middle of dinner? For us, this was beyond weird and we really didn’t like it. It made us as uncomfortable as they obviously were. And, of course, we were manipulated into promising them the scores they wanted. Of course this falls on Disney creating a ship board culture where crew members are forced to do this, but still. Guests should not be put in this situation. And it made us wonder how much darkness lies behind the magic.

3. Debarkation. A mad, chaotic, crowded, disorganized nightmare and the worst we’ve ever experienced. The atrium and lower levels were packed with what felt like thousands of people and their luggage, milling about, not knowing what to do, pressing against each other, jostling about. The buffet, Cabanas, was inexplicably closed, unlike any other cruise ship that we’ve ever sailed on, so guests were forced to lug their bags down to breakfast in the dining rooms, leave them indiscriminately piled up outside, then lug them (at least for us) up a deck to wait in an endless, snaking line to disembark. It felt almost apocalyptic. Why would Disney ever allow this to happen??

I actually asked a female crew member, who seemed to have some responsibility, if it was always like this. She snapped, “there are four thousand people on the ship, I think you’ll survive.”

Uh yeah, I guess I’ll survive, and that was the last magical memory my wife and I had interacting with a cast member.

Anyway, that’s my story! But both my wife and I are genuinely curious. Are we overreacting? Are we being too critical? We still have some positive memories from it, and frankly hate to carry away any negativity. And, for what’s it’s worth, we took the Brightline up to Orlando (great experience), and are now having a great time at WDW!
Paul you are up to 17 pages now. Mainly because you keep responding and restating your case over again. I'm curious, are you trying to brake the record for the longest thread. At what point do you just "let it go". Lol 😆

That must be it. I know we have eaten there at least once but dh really prefers the MDR experience and chatting with our servers so it’s not something we would have done often.
I do recall reading back before tips were automatically added, that the buffet was closed the last night because people would go there to avoid tipping their servers at the end of the cruise.

The buffet has always been a sit-down service since we started cruising on DCL. But we've not been cruising on DCL that long - only 16 years.

The only time the buffet was indeed a buffet was once on a late port night and people were returning to the ship after the regular dinner seating times.

The buffet has always been a sit-down service since we started cruising on DCL. But we've not been cruising on DCL that long - only 16 years.

The only time the buffet was indeed a buffet was once on a late port night and people were returning to the ship after the regular dinner seating times.
I see what you mean. I was thinking Cabanas/Topsiders/Beach Blanket was always open for dinner, but yes it was not a true buffet, as in scoop what you like onto your plate.
I wasn’t making that distinction until you explained it. Thanks.

I see what you mean. I was thinking Cabanas/Topsiders/Beach Blanket was always open for dinner, but yes it was not a true buffet, as in scoop what you like onto your plate.
I wasn’t making that distinction until you explained it. Thanks.
I think that the bigger desire is just to have an option for sit down dinner outside of one of the MDRs or Palo, etc.

I think that the bigger desire is just to have an option for sit down dinner outside of one of the MDRs or Palo, etc.
I agree. Sometimes it’s a beautiful sea day and we're relaxing at the adult pool or watching a movie on the big screen and don't want to have to leave at 4:30 to go get ready for dinner.

I was about to say “and a soft reggae band is playing in the adult pool area” but then I realized this is another thing DCL has quietly removed.
Add to that the ice sculptures and fancy displays on embarkation day.
Ahhh, Disney keeps giving less and making it a more mediocre experience. So many little things over the years. I can see where OP is coming from. For him, it hit him all at once. For us, it was a wow experience in 2007 and gradually declined over the years, making it less obvious. We still cruise DCL despite our kids being adults now because we like the vibe overall and it’s easy to avoid children when desired.

We tried Celebrity in March 2023, Aqua Class. I missed the split bath. Blu was a nice experience. The food was good and service on par with DCL, better than MDR but not as good as Palo. Then again it should be; aqua class is a lot more $$$ than a standard balcony. We were allowed to order from the MDR menu and I noticed an upcharge for filet mignon for those eating in MDR but not in Blu.
What turned me off the most was the lack of upkeep of the ship and shoddy maintenance. We were on the Summit which is an older ship but still newer than the Magic IIRC. There were areas that were in dire need of paint, electrical wires hanging from lights under the railing, sloppy job of staining the handrails, etc. I tried to overlook it all but then the Dream pulled up next to us in Nassau looking all pristine and immediately a crew was out on the sliding track on the side of the ship, hosing everything down. I could hear the little chimes before an announcement and wished I was back on DCL. :sad1:
Lastly, this sounds petty but the artwork/paintings around the ship were hideous. I can appreciate the whole “beauty is in the eye of the beholder” but it was a huge turnoff everywhere I went. I can post pics to explain it better later. I need to get ready to go out soon.

I don’t think DCL will ever go to an anytime dining model because to them, dinner is a presentation and entertainment. Like the beginning of the song Be Our Guest,
“Ma chere Mademoiselle, it is with deepest pride
and greatest pleasure that we welcome you tonight.
And now we invite you to relax, let us pull up a
chair as the dining room proudly presents - your dinner!“

Paul you are up to 17 pages now. Mainly because you keep responding and restating your case over again. I'm curious, are you trying to brake the record for the longest thread. At what point do you just "let it go". Lol 😆
Ha! Some of these threads have gone on for years, so..I promise…not trying to break any records! But, in my defense, two things. First, I really appreciate people weighing in, because every post, even the snarky ones (and thankfully there aren’t many) takes time and thought, and I think it’s nice to respond. Second, honestly, I’m still not really over the experience. My wife and I had looked forward to this cruise for months, and I never anticipated we would be so disappointed. And I think the comparisons to other cruise lines are informative and interesting.

That must be it. I know we have eaten there at least once but dh really prefers the MDR experience and chatting with our servers so it’s not something we would have done often.
I do recall reading back before tips were automatically added, that the buffet was closed the last night because people would go there to avoid tipping their servers at the end of the cruise.
For us, the chat with the servers, and, truly, my wife and I are amiable, outgoing types, felt forced and obligatory. Maybe it’s harder for them with no kids at the table.

I agree. Sometimes it’s a beautiful sea day and we're relaxing at the adult pool or watching a movie on the big screen and don't want to have to leave at 4:30 to go get ready for dinner.

I was about to say “and a soft reggae band is playing in the adult pool area” but then I realized this is another thing DCL has quietly removed.
Add to that the ice sculptures and fancy displays on embarkation day.
Ahhh, Disney keeps giving less and making it a more mediocre experience. So many little things over the years. I can see where OP is coming from. For him, it hit him all at once. For us, it was a wow experience in 2007 and gradually declined over the years, making it less obvious. We still cruise DCL despite our kids being adults now because we like the vibe overall and it’s easy to avoid children when desired.

We tried Celebrity in March 2023, Aqua Class. I missed the split bath. Blu was a nice experience. The food was good and service on par with DCL, better than MDR but not as good as Palo. Then again it should be; aqua class is a lot more $$$ than a standard balcony. We were allowed to order from the MDR menu and I noticed an upcharge for filet mignon for those eating in MDR but not in Blu.
What turned me off the most was the lack of upkeep of the ship and shoddy maintenance. We were on the Summit which is an older ship but still newer than the Magic IIRC. There were areas that were in dire need of paint, electrical wires hanging from lights under the railing, sloppy job of staining the handrails, etc. I tried to overlook it all but then the Dream pulled up next to us in Nassau looking all pristine and immediately a crew was out on the sliding track on the side of the ship, hosing everything down. I could hear the little chimes before an announcement and wished I was back on DCL. :sad1:
Lastly, this sounds petty but the artwork/paintings around the ship were hideous. I can appreciate the whole “beauty is in the eye of the beholder” but it was a huge turnoff everywhere I went. I can post pics to explain it better later. I need to get ready to go out soon.

I don’t think DCL will ever go to an anytime dining model because to them, dinner is a presentation and entertainment. Like the beginning of the song Be Our Guest,
“Ma chere Mademoiselle, it is with deepest pride
and greatest pleasure that we welcome you tonight.
And now we invite you to relax, let us pull up a
chair as the dining room proudly presents - your dinner!“
I fear you are, indeed, correct! Alas, would that DCL was inspired to create a nighttime buffet by the song!
Am surprised the Summit was in such bad shape. Every time we’ve sailed on the older Celebrity ships, they’ve been in great shape. Agreed about the artwork being of questionable taste, though. And there’s alot of it!

Last edited:

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter