DIS Shareholders and Stock Info ONLY

Then the studios should start the pay per view model now. First year it should be $20 to rent for the weekend
I am just looking at this now and both Fall Guy and Civil War are both in theatres and available via digital to buy $29.99 or rent for $24.99 (CAD pricing)

So, this is already happening but you want them to overprice rent for 1yr? Sure but if no revenue is coming 6 months down the road, licensing or streaming are your only real options.

Again, the money has to be coming in or you need to pivot to the next thing to drive and create revenue.

I am just looking at this now and both Fall Guy and Civil War are both in theatres and available via digital to buy $29.99 or rent for $24.99 (CAD pricing)

So, this is already happening but you want them to overprice rent for 1yr? Sure but if no revenue is coming 6 months down the road, licensing or streaming are your only real options.

Again, the money has to be coming in or you need to pivot to the next thing to drive and create revenue.
Giving it away for "free" on streaming isn't the answer either. What I'm saying is why not keep it at those prices for the first year? If a year is too long go with 6 months. All I'm saying is due to most new releases being released on streaming so quickly without pay per view people have the mindset of wait and we can get it for free.

Not to belabor the record store point but there are a lot of small record shops around Orlando (see below) and the northeast is full of them too. When the kids wanted to get stuff on record store day, we would be able to hit 8-10 shops before noon. Now yes, it is still pretty niche and may not be a big money maker for the artists, but it has to be a much better margins than streaming for them.

1716681863054.png

Last edited:
3 day gross for the 2024 Memorial Day Domestic box office slate: $75M

https://www.the-numbers.com/weekend-box-office-chart

Memorial Day Weekend 2023 Domestic Box office Gross for The Little Mermaid: $95M

https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-chart/weekend/2023/05/26
Between the pandemic, the strikes, and the industry move to streaming, the box office is in free fall.

Worst Memorial Day weekend since the '80's, inflation adjusted:

Executive Edge: Dismal Memorial Day weekend for movies​

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2024/05/28/executive-edge-dismal-memorial-day-weekend-for-movies.html

US box office on track to have worst Memorial Day weekend since 1995​

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/us-box-office-track-worst-174136449.html
The unintended/unexpected consequence of streaming.

1716913890983.png
The double whammy of licensing intentionally being cut and Box Office not coming back post-Covid has really decimated the Studios revenue.

Apes, Deadpool and Inside Out2 should provide a bounce back on theatrical distribution revenue side for FY24. Jury is out on the profitability. Break-even would be amazing in this climate.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/major-streamers-stack-subscribers-revenue-131500586.html

How the Major Streamers Stack Up in Subscribers and Revenue | Charts
by Lucas Manfredi
Tue, May 28, 2024, 8:15 AM CDT

The first quarter of 2024 was another big win for Netflix, but starting in 2025 the game will change.

After building a steady lead over its legacy media competitors for the past several quarters, Netflix revealed it will no longer disclose its quarterly subscriber or average revenue per paid member starting in the first quarter of 2025 as it shifts its focus to revenue, operating margins and engagement.

The decision comes as two of its major competitors — Warner Bros. Discovery and Disney — have made significant strides in streaming profitability.

With the exception of ESPN+, all of the major streamers saw subscriber increases during the quarter.

In unsurprising news, Netflix finished the quarter on top on the subscriber front. Disney continued to hold the second place spot when looking at both Disney+ on its own and its three streaming services on a combined basis.

1716915414793.png

In average revenue per user, Netflix has continued to extend its lead over its legacy media competitors. Warner Bros. Discovery is closing the ARPU gap with Hulu as it looks to take over the second place spot, while Disney+ slipped slightly compared to the previous quarter.

1716915498820.png

View attachment 863881
The double whammy of licensing intentionally being cut and Box Office not coming back post-Covid has really decimated the Studios revenue.

Apes, Deadpool and Inside Out2 should provide a bounce back on theatrical distribution revenue side for FY24. Jury is out on the profitability. Break-even would be amazing in this climate.
Cutting off licensing and incurring charges for cutting off that licensing stands out as a major blunder.

Cutting off licensing and incurring charges for cutting off that licensing stands out as a major blunder.
The licensing from the post-Fox merger looked like the start of a nice gravy train. Then, over the last 4 years they have chose to cut $4B in annualized licensing revenue.

It remains my biggest gripe of the DTC era, followed closely by the ridiculously low Disney+ ARPU.

The licensing from the post-Fox merger looked like the start of a nice gravy train. Then, over the last 4 years they have chose to cut $4B in annualized licensing revenue.

It remains my biggest gripe of the DTC era, followed closely by the ridiculously low Disney+ ARPU.
Another reason why I think the Disney/Fox merger was a mistake. I really think Disney should sell/spin off 20th Century Studios and Searchlight Pictures, plus most of the catalog of those two units. I'm wishing this would occur after Bob Iger finally leaves Disney.

Another reason why I think the Disney/Fox merger was a mistake. I really think Disney should sell/spin off 20th Century Studios and Searchlight Pictures, plus most of the catalog of those two units. I'm wishing this would occur after Bob Iger finally leaves Disney.

I don't think it's so much that the Fox buy was a mistake, but they certainly haven't capitalized on it as well as they should have. The catalog seems to exist in some kind of limbo instead of being celebrated. Sure, they quietly integrated a few things, but there is so much more they could do with the brand.

I don't think it's so much that the Fox buy was a mistake, but they certainly haven't capitalized on it as well as they should have. The catalog seems to exist in some kind of limbo instead of being celebrated. Sure, they quietly integrated a few things, but there is so much more they could do with the brand.
I’d rather have them capitalize on James Cameron's Avatar than the other Fox stuff. Heck, I’d rather have them keep Avatar and sell/spin off the rest of the Fox IP (X-Men, Deadpool, and Fantastic Four would be exceptions as well, since they are Marvel IP to begin with). They shouldn’t even hurt their image by capitalizing on Alien, Predator, Family Guy, or any other adult-oriented Fox IP, especially in terms of merchandising and parks.

They bought FOX in my view as a defensive play.... It's not like they needed to operate another movie studio... They needed Avatar, Marvel, and couldn't afford these properties to get into Comcast's hands... They also wanted to be the ones doing the consolidating, and I suspect Iger's desire to show he could put together the "ultimate deal" before retirement played a part as well....

It seems to me they could mine the catalog for things they want to keep, and sell the studio and the parts of the catalog they don't wish to keep...

They needed Avatar, Marvel, and couldn't afford these properties to get into Comcast's hands
This is a big reason and it doesn't get enough notice - how could they let all those related properties go to Comcast, who not only has TV and movie studios but a successful park business too.

They bought FOX in my view as a defensive play.... It's not like they needed to operate another movie studio... They needed Avatar, Marvel, and couldn't afford these properties to get into Comcast's hands... They also wanted to be the ones doing the consolidating, and I suspect Iger's desire to show he could put together the "ultimate deal" before retirement played a part as well....

It seems to me they could mine the catalog for things they want to keep, and sell the studio and the parts of the catalog they don't wish to keep...
Like I said, Disney could keep just Avatar and Marvel, plus Star Wars, Red Tails, FX, Hulu, and the National Geographic media assets, and offload 20th Century Studios, Searchlight Pictures, and the non-Disney branded TV shows of 20th Television.
This is a big reason and it doesn't get enough notice - how could they let all those related properties go to Comcast, who not only has TV and movie studios but a successful park business too.
If Alan Bergman or Dana Walden (I don't know about Josh D'Amaro) became the new Disney CEO, I'm hoping they'd just quit competing with Comcast in the park business.

https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/di...isa-valentino-exits-restructuring-1236017671/

May 29, 2024 7:10am PT
Disney Ad Sales Executive Lisa Valentino Exits Amid Restructuring
by Brian Steinberg

Lisa Valentino, a senior executive at Disney Advertising Sales who had in the past been tasked with several of the unit’s digital initiatives, has left the company, according to people familiar with the matter, even as Disney is in the midst of its “upfront” talks with advertisers.

Valentino had been working her second stint at Disney, most recently as executive vice president of category sales and client solutions. In the recent past, she had touted some of Disney’s most critical new ad-tech to clients. These included some of the company’s efforts to find new methodologies of tabulating audiences and helping advertisers to reach those crowds with more precision with so-called “addressable” formats.

It is unusual to re-align advertising sales executives at this point in the industry calendar. During the “upfront,” a sales market that usually lasts from May through at least mid-summer, TV networks try to sell the bulk of their commercial inventory for their next cycle of programming.

Hopefully the last time his name comes up:

Nelson Peltz sells entire Disney stake weeks after losing proxy battle

Activist investor Nelson Peltz has sold his entire stake in Disney, a person familiar with the matter tells CNBC.

Peltz sold all of his Disney stock at close to $120 dollars a share, the person said, making about $1 billion on the position. The stock currently trades for about $100 per share.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter