DIS FIT 2021 New Hopes, Dreams & Goals, Chit Chat Thread

Big BIG group hug to you Jacqueline. One day after another we will get to the light at the end of this very long tunnel we are all in. You're in my thoughts.

P.S. I rarely wear socks inside the house. I only put them on when I have to put shoes on to go outside. One less decision to make.

You are doing better than my kid, socks never happen... sometimes he doesn't even put on pants lol. I take the socks out of the equation by buying them in bulk, they all match... no decision to make. If one gets a hole I have a bunch of replacements.

I'll refer you to my post in the thread about testing needed before flying into Canada and leave it at that. My only goals, hopes, dreams, heck anything, are to simply get out of bed each day and begin what will be a constant string of deciding to continue to be. No need to worry, as I tell my psychiatrist every week, I'm in no danger of hurting either myself or anyone else, just a real struggle to "be". unless you've been depressed enough that it hurts to do or think about anything, you can't understand what I mean by that statement.
I have difficulty making even the most basic decisions- (hate needing to ask hubby to pick out socks somedays 🤦‍♀️) and that leads to spending so much time looking at the list of shows already in my list on Netflix that I never actually watch anything.

so, my plan for however long lockdown drags on and the time till I can get treatments is the following mantra that my doc and I developed
Recognize
Acknowledge
Accept

Recognize that I'm struggling and I'm not myself right now
Acknowledge that I can't do even basic things with the same ease because I lack the motivation and energy
Accept that this is how life is right now and leave it at that.
Sending you so much love and light. Our family is very very familiar with mental illness. I’m sorry you are struggling and hoping for brighter days for you .

I'll refer you to my post in the thread about testing needed before flying into Canada and leave it at that. My only goals, hopes, dreams, heck anything, are to simply get out of bed each day and begin what will be a constant string of deciding to continue to be. No need to worry, as I tell my psychiatrist every week, I'm in no danger of hurting either myself or anyone else, just a real struggle to "be". unless you've been depressed enough that it hurts to do or think about anything, you can't understand what I mean by that statement.
I have difficulty making even the most basic decisions- (hate needing to ask hubby to pick out socks somedays 🤦‍♀️) and that leads to spending so much time looking at the list of shows already in my list on Netflix that I never actually watch anything.

so, my plan for however long lockdown drags on and the time till I can get treatments is the following mantra that my doc and I developed
Recognize
Acknowledge
Accept

Recognize that I'm struggling and I'm not myself right now
Acknowledge that I can't do even basic things with the same ease because I lack the motivation and energy
Accept that this is how life is right now and leave it at that.

I am sending you many tight hugs. I am very familiar with mental health issues and know how debilitating they can be. You have a family here who will be a listening shoulder and is pulling for you. We will probably put out an S.O.S for you at times as well, just to check in with you ;). We are here for you, in whatever small capacity we can offer you:grouphug:

My 2021 52 week money saving challenge

That is great! I love challenges like that!
I have my own challenge that I use. So each month we budget x amount of fun spending money. We can use this money for things that are considered a regular purchase or need. We budget things like clothes, haircuts, and that kind of stuff into our regular budget. What I do is, challenge myself to see how much of that I can't spend. Then the rest goes into a special " fun fund - extra travel money". I try to only use that money for morning teas on my way to work. Sometimes I might add a bagel or a muffin....but not often. It made me really think about some purchases. I no longer get my nails done ( although I really do like have nice nails to make my big man hands not look so man like :o :rotfl:) and I rarely will grab anything quick for lunches. It has definitely helped me not spend money on "things" that I really do not need.

That is great! I love challenges like that!
I have my own challenge that I use. So each month we budget x amount of fun spending money. We can use this money for things that are considered a regular purchase or need. We budget things like clothes, haircuts, and that kind of stuff into our regular budget. What I do is, challenge myself to see how much of that I can't spend. Then the rest goes into a special " fun fund - extra travel money". I try to only use that money for morning teas on my way to work. Sometimes I might add a bagel or a muffin....but not often. It made me really think about some purchases. I no longer get my nails done ( although I really do like have nice nails to make my big man hands not look so man like :o :rotfl:) and I rarely will grab anything quick for lunches. It has definitely helped me not spend money on "things" that I really do not need.

lol lol
I actually bought some nail polish and some nail polish remover ,,,It's considered one of my new Pandemic activities for 2021.
I keep my nail pretty short as I've been known to scratch during my sleep( eczema & psoriasis ).
It's the morning muffin with the coffee that I am trying to cut out,,, darn Tim's has a delicious gingerbread one right now ,, with cream cheese in the middle.:)
I think I need to find a good recipe for homemade muffins that I can make on Sunday for the following week.

Have fun saving
Hugs
Mel

https://www.tasteandtellblog.com/cinnamon-muffins/

You need some fat in foods to help you feel full. Everything in moderation. After attempting to eat some of the "goodies" my neighbour sent over I finally threw them out. They were so healthy (no fat, sugar odd flours) they had no taste at all. Not worth the chewing effort or any of minimal calories they probably had.

I'm all for a bit of sugar and fat but limiting the quantity I eat. We only get one turn at this life, we need something to taste good.

Oh food ........ such a blessing yet such a trial for those of us that are limited by disease and allergies.

Sometimes I am still hungry after eating but due to a hiatal hernia I accept that my meal times and amounts needed to be adjusted,
Smaller portions and at least 4 hours to digest before bed .... I never eat after 6- 6:30 pm. Due to gallbladder removal I limit the fat ,,, cause to be blunt living in the washroom 1/2 the day is just not worth it.
Shellfish used to be a favorite of mine years ago but due to severe allergy I can not eat any shellfish at all.

I have 5 main lunch / dinner dishes
Tuna/pasta casserole
Chicken breast /plain rice steamed veggies (limited amount of carrots, corn , broccoli ,cauliflower).
Fresh Veggies (red, yellow orange peppers) & grilled mushrooms / (1/2 potato baked)
Cod/Haddock fish /plain rice.
Small scrambled egg and toast

Once a month I will try red meat spaghetti sauce but so far reintroducing this has not been too successful.:(
I am also trying to re introduce green salads (ceasar used to be my fav) into my diet again not with a lot of success.

Most non acidic fruits and juices are ok in limited amounts.
Small amounts of low fat yogurt.
I drink a lot of tea with 1% milk ,, I drink tons of water also.
I am down to 1 coffee a day since being at home during the Pandemic.

My big joy is baked goods, , you name it I love it.
I am thankful that since having my gallbladder removed that my options have increased.

Hugs
Mel

I had my gall bladder out, I blame the low fat vegan diet I did for a few years for destroying it, when I ate "normally" again I had problems. The gallbladder doesn't work when you eat low fat and gets sluggish, which causes stones. Then you eat any fat again and it starts working and you run into problems. At least that's what happened to me. Now I eat keto with no issues. I find carbs actually cause me far more problems than fat does at this point, but everyone is different. When I eat carb items I also eat a lot of rolaids and have tummy troubles. Keto, I have a day or two at the start of it when my stomach is not happy but after that is all calms down and I feel so much better, and no heartburn! That is a relief for sure. I just have to remember that so I don't stop and start it. The problem of course is that carbs are cheap, rice and pasta are inexpensive and filling.

I respectfully disagree that being low fat or vegan causes gallstones. I don’t discount your experience hdrolife but a drastic change in weight can be a culprit ( my mother lost 60lbs, is a doctor and developed gallstones ). I had gallstones and emergency surgery to remove my gallbladder at 27. I was a meat eater at the time and overweight.
It‘s often the result of high fat diet and high cholesterol . There are lots of other risks factors as well that are explained pretty well in this Mayo Clinic article.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/gallstones/symptoms-causes/syc-20354214
I am newly Whole Food Plant Based Vegan, and my very high cholesterol has dropped into normal range , my chest pain has stopped, my shortness of breath has stopped, my scalp psoriasis and stomach issues are completely gone. The last two I’m pretty sure were being triggered by dairy. It’s remarkable how much better I feel. While veganism also aligns with my ethics, I know it won’t for everyone. But I would look into the benefits of increased plant based eating. It’s been amazing for me. Just an alternate perspective to consider.

I think people should try the different diets and see what works for them, every one is different after all. I could discuss the ethics of being vegan versus free range animals, or sustainable farming, and the health benefits of different types of eating, but everyone will react differently. I have no issue eating plenty of vegetables but I avoid soy and most fake meat products. If it works for you, that's great. I know myself and how I react to things.

I'm just going to say one thing about this, drop an image and leave the subject. I HATE the word diet, the whole culture around a number on a stupid device determining our worth as a person is painful. For those of you who have children please be careful of the words you choose to use if you have decided you want/need to lose some weight because that is how some eating disorders begin - if mom says foods x, y and z are bad then i shouldn't eat them either OR if they're being oppositional that might be all they want to eat! Instead talk about wanting to make a lifestyle change that might involve different choices for what you eat (not better, not worse, just different!) This is a better mindset to use even if you and/or your doctor decide you should lose some weight because we tend to think a diet has a beginning and an end point whereas a lifestyle change is just that, a change that you hope to adapt to.

I think people should try the different diets and see what works for them, every one is different after all. I could discuss the ethics of being vegan versus free range animals, or sustainable farming, and the health benefits of different types of eating, but everyone will react differently. I have no issue eating plenty of vegetables but I avoid soy and most fake meat products. If it works for you, that's great. I know myself and how I react to things.
Its why I’m very careful not to ever be perceived as pushing my beliefs as it can make people defensive and uncomfortable which I don’t want to do. I am seeing significant health benefits but I attempt to share that in the same way people mention they are low carb or doing Paleo etc . I have no interest in debating my why .

What I did want to do is point out that veganism isn’t the cause of gallbladder issues. I wasn’t discounting your experience, just sharing the current medical research.

I'm just going to say one thing about this, drop an image and leave the subject. I HATE the word diet, the whole culture around a number on a stupid device determining our worth as a person is painful. For those of you who have children please be careful of the words you choose to use if you have decided you want/need to lose some weight because that is how some eating disorders begin - if mom says foods x, y and z are bad then i shouldn't eat them either OR if they're being oppositional that might be all they want to eat! Instead talk about wanting to make a lifestyle change that might involve different choices for what you eat (not better, not worse, just different!) This is a better mindset to use even if you and/or your doctor decide you should lose some weight because we tend to think a diet has a beginning and an end point whereas a lifestyle change is just that, a change that you hope to adapt to.
So true and what we’ve tried very hard to do in this house ! We fight an uphill battle with our kids and the images and impressions they get from media . We have to be extra careful about the messages we give at home for sure.

As for me today... going to attempt a long walk with the kids I work with today . It’s an extra 100lbs in the wagon so it’s a good workout!
I’m finding it so gloomy outside and this weather and time of year are hard for me ( for most people I think ). I’m thinking of taking a vitamin D supplement . Does anyone else take one ? I feel like I haven‘t gotten any sun in a long time .

So true and what we’ve tried very hard to do in this house ! We fight an uphill battle with our kids and the images and impressions they get from media . We have to be extra careful about the messages we give at home for sure.

As for me today... going to attempt a long walk with the kids I work with today . It’s an extra 100lbs in the wagon so it’s a good workout!
I’m finding it so gloomy outside and this weather and time of year are hard for me ( for most people I think ). I’m thinking of taking a vitamin D supplement . Does anyone else take one ? I feel like I haven‘t gotten any sun in a long time .

I started taking Vitamin D drops about a year ago and have switched over to Jamieson Vitamin D.

Hugs
Mel

And on that note I am off to eat breakfast. My stomach is grumbling.

I did get a walk in this morning. I'm back to my roll out of bed put some outdoor clothes on and walk to wake up timing. I get it done for me and have the rest of the day for whatever needs to be done.

I'm just going to say one thing about this, drop an image and leave the subject. I HATE the word diet, the whole culture around a number on a stupid device determining our worth as a person is painful. For those of you who have children please be careful of the words you choose to use if you have decided you want/need to lose some weight because that is how some eating disorders begin - if mom says foods x, y and z are bad then i shouldn't eat them either OR if they're being oppositional that might be all they want to eat! Instead talk about wanting to make a lifestyle change that might involve different choices for what you eat (not better, not worse, just different!)
We are doing just this in our household right now. It's not a diet. Our youngest is built like some other family members who have had weight issues. He is a SOLID boy and will always be that way. He is built like his 2 uncles. Our other son, takes more after my family, and with his congenital defect, he will never be a big man. He is a very tall ( 6'3 and 160 lbs) man. He will never be a bulky broad guy. When the older one tries to goof around and push the younger one...the younger ds doesn't move much :laughing:. He is just a big solid guy.

We are talking and making healthier meal choices, and eating some of those other foods in moderation. Heck...last week the youngest DS made himself a pizza for lunch using our cauliflower crusts, the left over turkey bits in the bag, tossed on a bunch of veggies and spinach!!!! I was impressed with him. I told him how impressed I am with him. Just the little things we have done in the past 3 months, he has lost 25 lbs and is wearing older jeans that were not fitting him in summer.

I wanted to post that I was able to put on a size lrg shirt that has been in my dresser for a couple of years. I had bought it a couple years ago ( when I was about 10lbs heavier than I am now) and it was stretchy enough that I could wear it back then...but now...it fits even better!!! I just wanted to tell someone about this little nugget!!!!:woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter