• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dis / Dreams Viking Sea Cruise around Italy 3/24 - 3/31/2018

so the van I was speaking of in the one post is for going from the port in Venice back to VCE at the end of the cruise - if you are heading to the airport directly after the cruise there are still 3 seats in that

As for getting to the Bernini from FCO I currently just had a sedan booked for taking my wife and I .... but I am happy to reach out to Blacklane and see if I can get it changed to something that would fit 4 people and would love to share the ride with you both if you would like

Yes, if you don't mind checking into FCO to Bernini we would love to share the ride and fare. Every little bit helps:) We'll have two suitcases with us. Just to confirm we're on the same flight (we're getting back on in Dublin) 3/23 Aer Lingus Flight 10402 at 6:15 am Aer Lingus Arrival into Rome 10:30 am.

Yes, if you don't mind checking into FCO to Bernini we would love to share the ride and fare. Every little bit helps:) We'll have two suitcases with us. Just to confirm we're on the same flight (we're getting back on in Dublin) 3/23 Aer Lingus Flight 10402 at 6:15 am Aer Lingus Arrival into Rome 10:30 am.

Ok, I just updated it - we now have a van that fits up to 5 passengers with 5 suitcases. Total is €86.92 (plus tip I assume) ... hope that works if we split it.

It will pick us up at 11:15 (I had asked before and they said that was a decent time to use to allow for getting through customs, etc.) and have a sign with our names (Philip & Judith Schoen)

Capwkidd I looked into a car service
Are u one person?
I got a price of 129 euros
Fattoricarservice.com
Thinking around 330-4 leaving Rome.
Are u still interested.
Anyone else want to join in. Obviously more people who join the price goes down. Let me know
Thx.

I am 1 with the force... Yes, just me... Time frame sounds good, Sunset it 6:25pm that day... From Bernini to the port, right?

Ok, I just updated it - we now have a van that fits up to 5 passengers with 5 suitcases. Total is €86.92 (plus tip I assume) ... hope that works if we split it.

It will pick us up at 11:15 (I had asked before and they said that was a decent time to use to allow for getting through customs, etc.) and have a sign with our names (Philip & Judith Schoen)

BTW, I am 1 person with 2 cases...

Mom just called Viking to clarify the dining process for the main restaurant (called The Restaurant). Breakfast is served from 7:30am-9am it’s open seating so you just head to a table in between those times. Same process for dinner between 6:30pm-9:30pm.

Breakfast is only until 9am? What is that in CA time? Lol

OK, so this is getting real now. We have started to pack our stuff (first had to unpack from our most recent trip last week) and have just picked up our Euros. Can't believe that in 2 weeks we will already be in Italy!!! Wow!!!!
Shoot. I should pick up some € from my local bank before I go.... How much do you guys figure you need in cash for this trip?

I am 1 with the force... Yes, just me... Time frame sounds good, Sunset it 6:25pm that day... From Bernini to the port, right?
Ok I booked Roma limo service it is 110euros cash. 55 euros each. We have them coming to your hotel at 4 pm. We will take a cab over to your place and meet you at your hotel.
And leave from there.
Thx.

May I suggest, for all of you giving money to each other for things like sharing a car, may I suggest setting up Apple Pay... Very convenient!

Quick FYI

I loved goes into the Viking site today and noticed two things:

1) our cruise is in 14 days :hyper:

2) a pop-up came up saying any excursions we’d to be booked with 7 days (so guess they need to be set 7 days out from the cruise) - just if you were still debating any, maybe get want to get that figured out soon

PSA: check your cellar service plan to see how much using your phone for calls & data will cost while on the trip. You may be able to add an international option.

Kind of depends on how willing you are to use credit cards. Obviously some things will be charged (hotel, etc) but other things you could either charge or pay cash. You'll have to decide for yourself.

I have a low limit credit cars I can use for all the semi questionable places... The totally questionable ones, or outside of Italy can be in cash... I am nstill t a big souvenir buyer...

Which reminds me, are tips expected in Italy?

Quick FYI

I loved goes into the Viking site today and noticed two things:

1) our cruise is in 14 days :hyper:

2) a pop-up came up saying any excursions we’d to be booked with 7 days (so guess they need to be set 7 days out from the cruise) - just if you were still debating any, maybe get want to get that figured out soon

7 days before?! Lol.... I guess I better get to it!

Trip tip for you all... When I travel with my iPhone I take an Apple Lightning to HDMI adaptor, a long Lightning cable and a long HDMI cable (velcrosed together), so I can plug my iPhone into the hotel room/ship cabin TV to watch videos... Easiest way I have found to watch videos on a trip!

PSA: check your cellar service plan to see how much using your phone for calls & data will cost while on the trip. You may be able to add an international option.

I have AT&T, other providers probably have a similar deal... I forget what AT&T calls it, but it’s a “day pass” so I can use all my unlimited features while in Europe... $10/a day.... It’s automatic, if you don’t turn on your cell service one day, you don’t get charged, until you start using it. Just check to see if you can phone/txt home as well (I need to double check that!)

Also remember to pack higher than normal SPA sunscreen.... Being on the water, and places where there are allot of places for the sun to bounce and hit you from all angles,.. Remmeber those solar hotdog cookers? I normally use 30 SPA, on a cruise, I use 48 (why they come in 48 or 50 I don’t know... It’s like a 10 pack of hotdogs and 8 pack of buns).

Last edited:
FWIW, I sent the following to Viking and got the response below:

My question:

Hello, I am scheduled for the Italian Sojourn trip beginning March 24. I was reading the prohibited items list and had two questions; 1) I usually bring something like this when I travel internationally: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012ERZ7B8?tag=vglnk-c911-20; I was planning to bring it this trip for my pre- and post-cruise hotel stays; if this is a prohibited item, would I be able to check this when boarding and get it back when I disembark?; and 2) I also usually bring a travel hair straightener like this: https://www.saksoff5th.com/main/Pro...GCh2pwgf8EAQYAiABEgJKWPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds; is that a prohibited item? Thank you!

Their response:

Thank you for your recent online inquiry.

There is no problem with you bringing these items onboard ship.

Best regards,

Viking Cruises

Thank you so much for organizing! All sounds great. It will be nice to meet you both and it won't be long now:)

I have AT&T, other providers probably have a similar deal... I forget what AT&T calls it, but it’s a “day pass” so I can use all my unlimited features while in Europe... $10/a day.... It’s automatic, if you don’t turn on your cell service one day, you don’t get charged, until you start using it. Just check to see if you can phone/txt home as well (I need to double check that!)

Pretty sure the ATT day pass also includes Unlimitted texts and phone calls. Works for a 24 hr period. So if you turn on your phone at 12pm when arriving in Rome, the $10 service is live until 12pm the next day when you’re charged again. Same fee also applies if you’re crossing boarders from one country to the next.

Keep in mind this only works in port. Be sure to turn airplane mode on when back on board. Cellular at sea is no bueno.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter