Dis Breast Cancer Survivors Part IV - GAGWTA

GAGWTA ladies!

I could not let today go by without logging in to the DIS and visiting here. It has been TEN YEARS since Laurabelle and Pea-n-me started the original version of this thread. It is also a few days from the 10 year anniversary of my diagnosis during the first week of this thread. Can't begin to describe what the friendship and support has meant to me.

There have been such special times in person with some of you, and online as well....and those of you I haven't met or interacted with much on here, too.
I know I have not been here regularly in recent months/years, but can assure you you are all close to my heart ALWAYS......

Wishing you all peace, love and joy XOXOX

NHAnn, Thank you to those of you who started this thread. I know it made my second go around with the beast much easier. Having others who know how you feel helps so much! Congratulations on your 10 year anniversary!

Ah, my hankie waving, survivor race partner from 6 years or so ago!

What a great day to celebrate! 10 years of the GAGWTA thread, named by your DH!

Thanks for reminding me of the anniversary.

Laurie

Wow! Ten years for you, Ann! Congratulations! I love seeing your name here!

And let's not forget, besides GAGWTA, he is the originator of "Don't bleed till you're shot", which has now made it's way around the Dis! I saw it as a recommendation from someone recently!

Ann - nice to see you posting!

Congrats for 10 years of the thread. You all inspire me always with your strength and courage. Thanks for letting me hang out with you ladies. You all are so special and sweet. I know I have Laurabelles address because she sent me a card after one of my surgeries. I hope she is doing well too.

We have had to change our vacation dates again due to dh work schedule, so now it looks like we are going the end of May until the lst week end in June. Add to that my dh lack of fondness for the heat and his grumpiness starts setting in and then I just saw its gay days. I know we have been there before during that time. But this time I really need a touring plan because of dh and then the crowds from that too. So I am going to be looking at easywdw.

I am thinking we will stay at the Swan again. There are no disney hotels for dh ff points. I wonder why? They dont consider the Swan and Dolphin actual disney hotels.

Peg - We will be suffering with you in the June heat. Do you do the parks in the summer or avoid them at all costs?

I have a school meeting tomm. and then I have to start my VBS teaching planning. I like to do things way ahead of time. When ds1 teaches which I doubt he can do this year he jut looks at the stuff the week before gheesh. At least this lady said she will help me with whatever I need so that is sweet.

GAGWTA - Thinking of you all.

It has been a really long time since I have posted on the Disboards.

I am 44 years old. About 15 years ago my dr found a lump. I had a mammogram and ultrasound and the radiologist said it was nothing to worry about and just said to follow up on 6 months so they could be sure it did not change. My dr said to insist on a biopsy so I saw a breast surgeon who agreed it was nothing to worry about. I followed up with a 6 month and then 12 month mammogram and was told I did not have to come back for another until I was 40 which I have been doing.

Thursday of last week I noticed a clear leakage from one side (same side as lump). I was a couple of months past my mammogram so I called and scheduled it. I called my dr just to let her know and she insisted that I come in yesterday. The leakage stopped and she was not able to get a sample of it. She said she does not feel any masses (she was never able to feel the original lump) but changed my screening mammogram to a diagnostic mammogram. She said she is almost certain it is nothing but just wants to be sure and that it is probably coincidence that it is the same side.

I can't help but worry. My sister passed away a couple of weeks ago of small cell lung cancer. We received confirmation on April 8 of what type of cancer she had and she died two days later. She was sick for about a month. Originally they said she had phumonia but because her lymphnodes looked swollen they were going to biopsy because she had RA and the medication was known to cause lymphoma. After the biopsy the suregeon said that he was pretty sure it was not cancer but we had to wait for the results. We were still waiting for the results (they have to stain the cells for confirmation of lymphoma) when she got weaker and weaker so I convinced her to go to the er and 10 days later she was dead. I am the youngest of 6 kids and have already lost 3 siblings unexpectedly from medical issues. My 81 year old mother is the strongest woman I know but it is taking a toll on her. I am not mentioning anything to my family since it is probably nothing but was just looking for a little reassurance.

It has been a really long time since I have posted on the Disboards.

I am 44 years old. About 15 years ago my dr found a lump. I had a mammogram and ultrasound and the radiologist said it was nothing to worry about and just said to follow up on 6 months so they could be sure it did not change. My dr said to insist on a biopsy so I saw a breast surgeon who agreed it was nothing to worry about. I followed up with a 6 month and then 12 month mammogram and was told I did not have to come back for another until I was 40 which I have been doing.

Thursday of last week I noticed a clear leakage from one side (same side as lump). I was a couple of months past my mammogram so I called and scheduled it. I called my dr just to let her know and she insisted that I come in yesterday. The leakage stopped and she was not able to get a sample of it. She said she does not feel any masses (she was never able to feel the original lump) but changed my screening mammogram to a diagnostic mammogram. She said she is almost certain it is nothing but just wants to be sure and that it is probably coincidence that it is the same side.

I can't help but worry. My sister passed away a couple of weeks ago of small cell lung cancer. We received confirmation on April 8 of what type of cancer she had and she died two days later. She was sick for about a month. Originally they said she had phumonia but because her lymphnodes looked swollen they were going to biopsy because she had RA and the medication was known to cause lymphoma. After the biopsy the suregeon said that he was pretty sure it was not cancer but we had to wait for the results. We were still waiting for the results (they have to stain the cells for confirmation of lymphoma) when she got weaker and weaker so I convinced her to go to the er and 10 days later she was dead. I am the youngest of 6 kids and have already lost 3 siblings unexpectedly from medical issues. My 81 year old mother is the strongest woman I know but it is taking a toll on her. I am not mentioning anything to my family since it is probably nothing but was just looking for a little reassurance.

Lori,
I am so sorry you are going through this. It is very stressful waiting and trying to figure everything out. Breast cancer is in my family and so I have had two lumpectomies and one biopsy and everything came back non-cancerous. My sister had clear leakage from her breast and it has turned out to be nothing. Please take a deep breath and try to relax. If this lump and leakage are truly stressing you out, tell them (demand) you want a biopsy. It is a very easy procedure. I think the worse part is the table they have you on, it was so uncomfortable!

Welcome, Lori. So sorry about your sister. We started this group as a place where people could come while they're "waiting", among other things. I'm glad your primary care doc is so diligent. It sounds like you're in good hands. :hug: We're here with you. There are many possibilities besides cancer. And even if it is cancer (which hopefully and probably it is not), most are living today after a breast cancer diagnosis, so it's not necessarily a death sentence like your sister's case was. I'm sure they knew what they were talking about 15 years ago and this is probably unrelated. Seeing a breast surgeon then was very smart of you.

Hope all are well and enjoying the warm weather that is finally arriving.

My dad got some test results back and he will need surgery. He has had issues with A Fib since his fall. Has had it for years but now it's not under control, I'm assuming from all the stress. Unfortunately this makes the surgery risky and he may not be a candidate for chemo. This is one heck of a roller coaster ride. Mt parents will be married 60 years in October so to take my mind off of things I have enlisted my brothers and church family to give them a surprise anniversary party. Now to hope we can keep it a secret.

I know a lot about AF, taz. Sometimes, especially when it's chronic, it can't be converted to a normal rythm, but it can be rate controlled, so the heart rate is normal and not tachycardic. Usually this involves beta blockers or other meds, or sometimes an ablation. They also need to be on a blood thinner, unfortunately. But lots of people with AF undergo surgery, so hopefully if they can control his rate, he'll be ok.

I wanted to mention to you (from the other thread) I also do a lot of baseball photography. :) It's funny what you can see when you look through those pictures, lol.

I know a lot about AF, taz. Sometimes, especially when it's chronic, it can't be converted to a normal rythm, but it can be rate controlled, so the heart rate is normal and not tachycardic. Usually this involves beta blockers or other meds, or sometimes an ablation. They also need to be on a blood thinner, unfortunately. But lots of people with AF undergo surgery, so hopefully if they can control his rate, he'll be ok.

I wanted to mention to you (from the other thread) I also do a lot of baseball photography. :) It's funny what you can see when you look through those pictures, lol.

Thanks He is on blood thinners and is seeing his cardiologist. He underwent conversion a few years ago and was doing OK til the fall. He is a little down so that's what is scary. That and my BFF's dad was on blood thinners and had surgery for knee replacement. He survived the surgery but died from being off of the blood thinner. These was recent so of course it is in the back of my mind.

I knew you liked photography from the scavenger hunts but didn't know you were into baseball photography. I have been going through pics of my grandson from pitching machine til now and it's amazing seeing how much he has grown but also how much his form has improved.

Lori, welcome. My condolences on the passing of your sister. As others have said, the leakage m say mean nothing. I won't tell you not to worry. It is impossible not to, but know that the odds are with you.

Luvmarypoppins, I do go to the parks during the summer, but I limit my time in the heat. A couple of hours and I am ready to head home.

Well, I had a bit of a scare this week. I went in for my regular mammogram. It's been 2 years since I was originally diagnosed. There was a tiny spot in one view of my right breast (the one that had cancer) that wasn't there in the other view and wasn't there last year. My oncologist looked at it and thought it was nothing. The radiologist wanted another look. So ... I went in today for my follow up mammogram and waited nervously for it to be read. My oncologist was right! It was nothing. Whew.

It reminded me of how scared I was 2 years ago even though I was trying my best not to be scared. This thread was so helpful then and I feel bad I don't keep up with it.

Thank you all!

My thoughts are with my dear friend, Darlene, tonight. Her mother died of ovarian cancer. Her sister has had breast cancer twice. She recently had a double mastectomy after finishing her chemo and radiation treatments.

With her family history, her doctor suggested she have the necessary tests done. Her results came back as chek2. Today, she underwent a double mastectomy and had tissue expanders put in place. They did find several masses. No pathology results back yet. Prayers for you my friend!

Lori - Wishing you all the best with your test results

tazdev - hope you dad is doing ok and that they can get a good treatment plan in place

Laurie - hope you had a great trip.

robin - I am sure that was scary but glad they are keeping a good eye on you

Peg - prayers for your friend

Linda - will your ds play baseball in college?

Cheryl - thinking of you

smiley - I think your trip is soon?

Diana - thinking of you too

Well a week from today we will be in Disney. I think dh really needs a vacation.

Heres a virtual piece of :cake: which you can all have since no one in my family bothered to get me a cake, lol.

Ds graduation was nice. He got to sit on the stage and give the professor some award (that was at the nursing graduation) and not the main ceremony that I am posting the link about and here is my proud mom brag. I know I promised ds I would never post his picture but this one does not have his name on it so it will be ok. That nursing cover has his name in the article so I didnt ever post that one.

But here is the link with ds at the end - longisland.news12.com/multimedia/stony-brookstudents-graduates-billy-joel-honored-1.10464310
GAGWTA

Well 6 days from today and dh and I will not be in Disney:sad1:

Last night my R leg was so swollen and hurt. I had ds look at it. Also sun. afternoon my thigh hurt alot too.

Well I asked ds3 to take me to the er today as I was feeling terrible.

They did a doppler in the vascular lab and they got the dr, right away. never good of course. I have a blood clot that is from my mid thigh to R knee. They said there is some blood flow going through and they classify it as medium occluded .

So tomm. I am calling the vascular surgeon to have a follow up appt. Dh will be off to Calif.

I cant believe how fast it was to cancel our trip. Sadly. I cancelled our disney hotel and dining online. I still havent cancelled the fast passes yet. Trying to figure that out.
We have to use the credit for southwest in a year
We got dh ff miles put back and they waived the $150 fee since he is their top member status.
So there goes my ap too, some of that is a waste unless I use it by mid august and I dont see that happening with dh as he hates the heat.

Oh well Disney will always be there.

Linda - so far they are giving me xeralto I think. Its like over $400 for a 3 weeks supply. Glad I have good ins. from dh.

GAGWTA. Never a dull moment.

I'm sorry to hear that, lmp. It's always something, isn't it? It's good that you picked up on it so quickly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter