• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Direct Price Increase Today

I'm not aware of any expected building lifespan. That they started with 50 years for DVC and kept matching the 2042 expiration date wasn't because of an expected lifespan on the buildings. It was likely a combo of things, most importantly that they were able to take back control of prime real estate at a point that the time was appealing enough to sell but of course not too long that they were locked in for a century like Swan/Dolphin.

CR and Poly are approaching 50 years old and it descends from there and no plans for demolition. They sold 30+ year old buildings at the Poly for a 50 year time. They certainly might choose to raze and rebuild DVC resorts as they expire but it's still a lot of years between then and now and will depend on what the Disney Company is up to at that time.
The expected maximum life span on almost every well built hotel in the last 30-40 years is 60 years with good maintenance. That is especially true for those built in a high moisture environment like Orlando. After that the cost of maintenance just becomes too much because because of deterioration to the materials that were used in construction.

Sure you can expand that lifespan with some extreme measures like stripping down to the studs and replacing the guts in a complete rehab like they appear to be doing at Poly right now. That often isn’t cost effective. It is most often cheaper and quicker to tear down and rebuild. Places like Poly and The Contemporary will get the complete rehab treatment because of their historical significance to WDW. DVC properties don’t share that significance.

The expected maximum life span on almost every well built hotel in the last 30-40 years is 60 years with good maintenance. That is especially true for those built in a high moisture environment like Orlando. After that the cost of maintenance just becomes too much because because of deterioration to the materials that were used in construction.

Sure you can expand that lifespan with some extreme measures like stripping down to the studs and replacing the guts in a complete rehab like they appear to be doing at Poly right now. That often isn’t cost effective. It is most often cheaper and quicker to tear down and rebuild. Places like Poly and The Contemporary will get the complete rehab treatment because of their historical significance to WDW. DVC properties don’t share that significance.
Steel frame, concrete deck with steel stud partitioning that have a well maintained roof and window systems should have a primary element life span of 100+ years. The major costs are systems obsolescence. Every 50 years it can be expected to spend 30 to 60% of the new cost for a major renovation (systems, windows and finishes).

Steel frame, concrete deck with steel stud partitioning that have a well maintained roof and window systems should have a primary element life span of 100+ years. The major costs are systems obsolescence. Every 50 years it can be expected to spend 30 to 60% of the new cost for a major renovation (systems, windows and finishes).
Never mind, the link I posted wasn’t the one I was looking for. Still searching for it.

Last edited:

Never mind, the link I posted wasn’t the one I was looking for. Still searching for it.
Basically the study said that buildings constructed 25-40 years ago in the same way as BCV in an environment like Florida with proper maintenance had an expected life span of 60 years.

I will keep looking for it.

This standard is for architectural heritage sites, not general commercial.

Some of these sites are quite a challenge since they have not been well maintained, while other because of their innovative construction have special issues.

Florida is only different from other area if moisture or salt are allowed to be introduced inside the vapor barrier and accelerated corrosion of exterior exposed metal. These insults are not likely given WDW maintenance protocols.

The only resorts that fit this was THV and it have essentially been replaces, though I have never seen construction pictures at OKW so it may have some issues also

Last edited:

This standard is for architectural heritage sites, not general commercial.

Some of these sites are quite a challenge since they have not been well maintained, while other because of their innovative construction have special issues.

Florida is only different from other area if moisture or salt are allowed to be introduced inside the vapor barrier and accelerated corrosion of exterior exposed metal. These insults are not likely given WDW maintenance protocols.

The only resorts that fit this was THV and it have essentially been replaces, though I have never seen construction pictures at OKW so it may have some issues also
so you really think it is going to make more financial sense for Disney to do a gut job, like they are doing currently at Poly, on their DVC properties built instead of tear down and rebuild?

Exactly. I’ll just use 2 of the most well known hotels. The Plaza Hotel opened 1907 and the Waldorf Astoria 1931. They obviously don’t deal with the brunt of hurricanes, but they have had their fair share along with harsh winters. The life expectancy would have to be somewhat comparable.

so you really think it is going to make more financial sense for Disney to do a gut job, like they are doing currently at Poly, on their DVC properties built instead of tear down and rebuild?
As long as the building is in good shape and there is no need to do major structural reconfiguration definitely.

I am a construction estimator and have been a construction project manager on smaller, but similar construction renovations

Poly is lighter construction so the advantage of renovation vs full demo and rebuild is less than for bigger, and particularly more story biddings like BWV, BCV or VWL

So is DVC going to be increasing prices for RIV/AUL/CCV again in February? Considering adding a small contract at RIV but was going to wait until after tax season to pay all cash.

So is DVC going to be increasing prices for RIV/AUL/CCV again in February? Considering adding a small contract at RIV but was going to wait until after tax season to pay all cash.
we think so on RIV and AUL. No indication of such on CCV. I’d be surprised on CCV in Feb but I won’t be surprised if a price increase comes later this year. Whenever they want to increase the profits on the so-close-to-sold-out-they-can-smell-it CCV, they will first stop offering incentives. It already had its “sold out resort” giant price increase.

We received a DVC mailer the other day stating that the price is going up $6 on 2/6. I know that RIV and AUL were on there. I don't remember if CCV was or not.

I agree it will be interesting but due to resale and, um, natural attrition, we’re probably talking a dozen owners in that spot by 2042. We think *most* people signed the quitclaim. If you dig through these forums and some now-almost-dead forums that were more active back when, you can find a lot of interesting stories from people, like being asked to sign them at check in like it was just part of the paperwork for the stay.

There were already a lot of lawyers involved, and DVC did back off the quitclaim deeds, which means something?

This resort is 7.5M points divided into three figure contracts. This will be thousands upon thousands of owners.

Disney's legal position at the time was that it was their responsibility to get either a quitclaim or the $X (15?) In 2042, that $15 extension might be looking a lot more appealing.

I think they will keep the same frame on buildings, and if still in good shape, they will simply renovate rooms to 2042 decor and inflate the point charts 1000% and sell points at $500.00 per point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter