• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Direct "double points" value

hudakjr

Earning My Ears
On the resale market it appears "stripped" contracts are typically $5-7 cheaper than contracts that are loaded. How much value do you put on getting "double points" with direct contract. For example buying a December UY and buying in November and receiving all 2020 points and then on Dec 1st getting all 2021 points. Would buying like this help "close the gap" between direct and resale and if so by how much?
Thanks

Offer what you think the number of points for the contract is worth. Then negotiate up based on how much those extra points are worth to you in relation to how much MFs would have been on them.

All my research told me when I was shopping in September that 250-300 points at SSR should go in the $125-$131 per point range with a high chance of passing ROFR. I offered a 300 point contract that has 600 points coming in March 22 $125 a point. It was listed at $142 per point. After negotiating I didn’t want to go above $129 and didn’t think what they were asking was worth the banked points. Ultimately my wife asked me to make one last offer at $130 which was $1500 total more from the original $125 offer. I said I would because that was still meant they paid 1/4 of the MFs on those banked points. So ultimately we agreed to $130 per point which was high end of the range I thought it was worth but also got 300 banked points. We just closed yesterday

Last edited:
I value them at 16-18 or so a point, I did infact buy direct and actually rented the points out immediately that combined with prorated dues does infact help close the resale vs direct gap at times

On the resale market it appears "stripped" contracts are typically $5-7 cheaper than contracts that are loaded. How much value do you put on getting "double points" with direct contract. For example buying a December UY and buying in November and receiving all 2020 points and then on Dec 1st getting all 2021 points. Would buying like this help "close the gap" between direct and resale and if so by how much?
Thanks
It would definately close the gap between a stripped contract which sometimes not only doesn't include current year points but also may only include some or none of the next years points ..... be sure to take that into account. In our case buying in June with an Oct UY we got 2020 and 2021 points and our dues were about $2.30 a point for these particular points as no dues were charged for the current UY and following UY was prorated.

In my research, about $6 per point per year in terms of purchase cost for resale (the resale value estimator from the sponsor's site was useful as a way to compare apples to apples for each deal - not the only input I assessed but helpful as a baseline). Based on Disney's new Magical Beginnings, they will buy back at $10 per point, and if your privately rent out then you might get anywhere between $16-22 depending on timing and resort.

This as well as the MF's can help to offset the differences. In some cases, it will be enough to go direct, and in some cases, it won't. Of course, when I bought direct...and will be when VGF goes on sale, I buy to USE the points, so there will never be anything there to offset it! LOL

I think $15pp on the “free” points is a good price since that’s what you can easily rent them for. We just bought Aulani direct and the 300 Dec 2020 points we got for free is what closed the deal for me.
I did the exact same! This Aulani deal was too good to pass up.

My Guide said Disney would buy my December 2020 points from me for $10 a point. I chuckled knowing they could be easily rented for $16-17pp. He agreed but said he had to offer it.
I thought it was interesting they’d actually buy them from me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter