Dinner at Topolino's wasn't worth it

jim01

Earning My Ears
I guess I had my expectations to high thinking this would be more like a high end restaurant and less of Disney dining. Overall the food quality was something similar to what you would find at a banquet hall.

The bread basket that they claimed was baked every other hour tasted like the mass produced bread in the bakery section of your supermarket. It was served with plain olive oil that wasn't anything special although it did come with a story.

I ordered the veal chop med-rare. I am not that familiar with veal but I have heard it is supposed to be tender and this was everything but. It was a really bad piece of meat that I should have sent back. It came with potatoes au gratin and the potatoes were still kind of raw which ruined it.

My wife had the rigatoni which was tasty. Apparently this is their most popular dish and cheapest at $35.

My daughter had the lobster linguine which was a lobster tail over a small bed of linguine with little pearls of pea paste on the side. It was a pretty dish but she said that the tail was a bit mushy and overall wasn't a big fan of it.

In other things, the location was really nice. You can see all the parks from the rooftop. The waiter was friendly and helpful but I didn't care for the over the top stories about the dishes.

The next night we ate at the Boat House which was so much better.

Sorry you didn’t enjoy Topolino’s. We had one of our best meals there last October. We actually have multiple reservations for dinner on our upcoming trip. We also have a dinner reservation at The Boathouse and I’m hoping we have good luck there as you did.

We ate there pre-pandemic and while it was nice, it certainly wasn't the best place we had ever eaten. Our problem was the service. As often happens with a party of two, the server had a large table as well as ours and a few others. The large table took up most of his time and we were an after thought. The same with the bar. We decided to sit at a high top table instead of the bar itself and my son ended up having to go up to the bar to order because a server never got around to our table. The food was good but if I'm paying that much, I want the service to match.

My entire family from my Grandmother on down has been in the restaurant business in one capacity or another so I know what it's like. I also know what it's like to give good service. One brother who owned a restaurant always stressed to his staff that a person should not wait for something to drink, should not wait for a menu or to order. All the food was made fresh when ordered, which was stressed when people sat down, which meant it could take longer for the food to get out. In that case, the staff were to check on the table often to make sure they had drinks and bread and everyone on staff were to do that for every table, whether it was yours or not. I acted as hostess for him a number of times and if I had no one to seat or check out, I was to watch the floor as well. You also should never let a customer wait for their bill or to pay it. There is a fine line between hovering and totally ignoring.

We didn't love it either. Our view was of a large table of people in t-shirts and shorts, I loved the sole but DS didn't like the chop at all, it was mushy with no sear on it. Ricotta was ice cold and bread was not soft. Service was great. Didn't care for the ambiance, very much. $300 including tip is a lot for two people. DS loved the gigantic ice cube with the logo in his $17 drink!

A number of youtube vloggers (not professionals just online trip reports) have reported the same. A decent meal but nothing outstanding or worth the fuss of getting a reservation and paying premium prices.

People talked about the view more than the meal.

It did not make the cut for my trip. I might try it later but there are some better reviewed meals I want to try first.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter