Dining Plan Watch Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You’d think with just about everything open, DDP will be back soon. What’s left PORFQ and AS Sports? Two notable restaurants still not open are Akershus and Jiko
It seems a lot of Signature 2-Credit restaurants are still not open yet - Jiko, Flying Fish, Monsieur Paul, Takumi Tei.
And a few crowd favorites, like Hoop de Doo, 1900 Park Fare, Artist Point, Akershus, Restaurant Marrakesh, etc.

Seems like there's still some work to do before dining plans can return.

Ok, why not just sell the quick service dining plan? It looks like there is enough open now?

I don’t understand how people DON'T save on the Disney Dining Plan. We do one sit down table service per day that we are in Disney and that alone has us break even, if not net money because the dinners are minimum $50-$60 per person and the dining plan costs $78/day. I'm confused as to how to budget now because if we aren't doing the DDP, we won't want to be spending $50-$60 per person on dinner alone when we also have to buy a QS meal for lunch and like to get snacks here and there. Plus, we get alcohol too!
I think it really depends on your family’s eating habits. We never saved money with the dining plan, but that’s more because of our preferences when dining out. We sometimes order appetizers, but not usually, and pretty much never get dessert. Put that together with a AP, DVC or TiW (definitely my favorite and best discount DW used to offer) discount and we always wound up coming out ahead by not getting the DDP.

That said, we visited this year in July for the first time since early 2019 and the dining prices seem to have practically doubled, so I will definitely do a new analysis once the DDP returns.

well i did a break down for my trip and planning each days dining and estimated on the high end for each place we will go to eat and this is for 3 people for a 7 day trip. this is based on cash out of pocket not including taxes or tips this is picking the most expensive items on each menu from appetizer to desert to drinks Non-Alcoholic. And Day one only shows 2 meals as we would have gotten breakfast outside the park pre-arrival

Day 1 Magic Kingdom
Columbia Harbor House-Lunch-85.44
Be Our Guest Restaurant-Dinner-207.00

Day 2 Epcot Dining
Kona Cafe-Breakfast-99.00
La Cantina de San Angel-Lunch-97.08
Teppan Edo-Dinner-309.00

Day 3 Disney Springs Dining
Chef Mickey's-Breakfast-156.00
4 Rivers Cantina Barbacoa Food Truck-Lunch-68.94
The BOATHOUSE-Dinner-379.5

Day 4 Hollywood Dining
Woody's Lunch Box-Breakfast-92.28
Docking Bay 7 Food and Cargo-Lunch-94.41
50's Prime Time Café-Dinner-177.00

Day 5 Animal Kingdom Dining
Yak & Yeti™ Local Food Cafes-Breakfast-72.21
Satu'li Canteen-Lunch-78.81
Ohana-Dinner-195

Day 6 Epcot Wing It- 400

Day 7 Hollywood Wing It -400

Total-2,911.67

Every day I get less confident that it will return. Although I do know Disney usually does not give any sort of warning prior to changes.

Every day I get less confident that it will return. Although I do know Disney usually does not give any sort of warning prior to changes.
It would be surprising for it to not return at all (especially given they've proactively named that it would be). However, there is a massive pandemic still happening, one that has created global supply shortages and staffing problems. WDW isn't well-equipped right now to handle the people who are there (which is why housekeeping is down, fewer people getting ADRs, etc) - so there's absolutely no reason to add a complication like the dining plan (on their part). If you've been there since reopening, you can't genuinely think the place is running at 100%. I would love to have it back, as I've used it regularly; that said, it's just not an option right now. It cannot be high on their priority list (and if they were to rush it back, they'd face major problems with customer feedback because people aren't going to be able to get enough ADRs, have much variety on their menus, etc). Beyond that/before covid, it took significant negotiations to get each year's plan up and running - they have to do that plus navigate the current issues. I could potentially see them saying 1/1/22, as it could be easier for something to start at a particular calendar date, akin to a "round number". That said, I'd be shocked because they're not ready for it. I think that it'll be Spring Break '22 or near Memorial Day.

While I agree with some of this... I think that this would be a perfect time for Disney to bring back the dining plan. They are all about the $$$$.. If they were to bring back the dining plan they could almost guarantee they would get their $$$ worth from those that have pre paid. Disney knows that a lot of the people/groups that get dining plans do not use all of their points/entitlements. All they (Disney) would have to do is say "If you currently have a dining plan, you have priority on ADR's". Almost like an ADR fast pass/lightning lane. That would be a profit generator if there every was one.

Just my 2 cents on the subject.

While I agree with some of this... I think that this would be a perfect time for Disney to bring back the dining plan. They are all about the $$$$.. If they were to bring back the dining plan they could almost guarantee they would get their $$$ worth from those that have pre paid. Disney knows that a lot of the people/groups that get dining plans do not use all of their points/entitlements. All they (Disney) would have to do is say "If you currently have a dining plan, you have priority on ADR's". Almost like an ADR fast pass/lightning lane. That would be a profit generator if there every was one.

Just my 2 cents on the subject.
That would be very awesome!

All we can do is wait and see. Hopefully there greed for profit will drive them to get the dining plan back sooner

well i did a break down for my trip and planning each days dining and estimated on the high end for each place we will go to eat and this is for 3 people for a 7 day trip. this is based on cash out of pocket not including taxes or tips this is picking the most expensive items on each menu from appetizer to desert to drinks Non-Alcoholic. And Day one only shows 2 meals as we would have gotten breakfast outside the park pre-arrival

Day 1 Magic Kingdom
Columbia Harbor House-Lunch-85.44
Be Our Guest Restaurant-Dinner-207.00

Day 2 Epcot Dining
Kona Cafe-Breakfast-99.00
La Cantina de San Angel-Lunch-97.08
Teppan Edo-Dinner-309.00

Day 3 Disney Springs Dining
Chef Mickey's-Breakfast-156.00
4 Rivers Cantina Barbacoa Food Truck-Lunch-68.94
The BOATHOUSE-Dinner-379.5

Day 4 Hollywood Dining
Woody's Lunch Box-Breakfast-92.28
Docking Bay 7 Food and Cargo-Lunch-94.41
50's Prime Time Café-Dinner-177.00

Day 5 Animal Kingdom Dining
Yak & Yeti™ Local Food Cafes-Breakfast-72.21
Satu'li Canteen-Lunch-78.81
Ohana-Dinner-195

Day 6 Epcot Wing It- 400

Day 7 Hollywood Wing It -400

Total-2,911.67

That’s a lot of meals and food. Please I mean this kindly when I ask if you’ve been before. I just want to make sure you understand that that is a lot of meals and food, lol.

yes i have and thats for 3 people not just me and my wife and again this is a estimate based on the high end and 3 meals a day. I base everything on the high end to insure i don't under spend nor over spend. and yes i have been many times i am a dvc owner. and no one says we are going to eat 3 times a day i just want to cover base

Last edited:
For anyone wanting to follow along there is a watch option above, below the title to the right. If you watch the thread and get notices and don’t come you won’t get more until you do. Or just pop in once a week or so

im betting on the p,ans returning in January. Unless there is another serious spike, I think ost if not all restaurants will be open that are reopening. Not sure about hddr restarting in January but I do think it will return in ‘22.

My best guess is early January, I’ll say either the 3rd or the 8th. The 3rd because many previous changes started not I. The first but a couple days in. So we will see.

I have to respond to the money saving comment. you know what I a. Going to say 🧐 It is now and always will be a math exercise.
I like the delixe plan but it’s just too too much. I like an app but rarely order dessert. I don’t drink so the alcohol benefit is useless for us. I’ve done the math and we eat very well and way under the price of any meal plan. Hmmm, I think once the plan comes back a thread for all the math do’ers will be appropriate.For everyone who can’t wait for it to co e vack, me too. While it doesn’t work for my family it does for many. And I think the folks that it is best for are the most budget conscious. Let’s face it, paying $35 for a piece of beef is a lot of $ for so many of us. That being able to order whatever you want w/osticker shock or choosing the cheapest option is priceless.

Last comment-I will never load up Disney gift cards prior to my trip. I e seen too many stories of folks w cancelled trips w thousands they need but cannot access due to being on a gift card. Or anyone that has had a cancelled trip or gotten sick or had to leave early. For those that love it, good for you 🤗

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter