• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

difference between regular cat. 3 and handicap cat. 3

ChiTownZee

"You have no idea what I'm capable of."-Evil Queen
We've been kicking around the idea of splurging for a cat. 3 and the only ones available for our preferred date are 2 handicap rooms in the back of the ship. What are the differences? There is no jacuzzi tub, is that correct? I remember reading a trip report with pictures from one of these, but it was years ago. I'm also afraid my DD wouldn't be able to see over the top of the verandah since it's solid (and because of that inviting chair climbing)

I have photos of one of these staterooms (8602) on my website at www.castaayclub.com
There is a soaker tub instead of the jacuzzi, and the balcony is huge but has a metal railing instead of plexiglass. Aft is a nice, quiet location...in the morning, you will probably hear some overhead noise from the buffet, but only at breakfast time...not generally a bother.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

One other comment I would is that although the aft balconies are hugh, they are not as private. Since the back of the ship is somewhat stepped, people above you can look directly down into your balcony.

That said, these are hugh balconies with several chairs and a chaise lounge (if I remember correctly). The regular Cat 3's have a long balcony but it is fairly narrow. No chaise lounge for the other Cat 3's.

Thanks Barb! I don't know why I didn't think to look on your site FIRST! LOL

Do you or anone else know...Is there still a vanity desk? Do the larger bathrooms make the living spaces smaller than normal? How high is the railing on the verandah? Any other differences?

I'm not sure how I would like other people look down on us LOL

The railings are a little higher than a typical adult's waist. They will block your view when you are sitting. Although it is not a picture of an aft Cat 3, this picture will should help you see how high the railing is.

http://www.fortunecity.com/campus/brigham/612/metal.htm

As for people seeing into your balcony, think of the back of the ship as steps going down. Deck 8 sticks out past deck 9. Deck 7 sticks out past deck 8.

Take a look at the picture in the link and maybe it will help you understand.

http://www.dcltribute.com/gallery/p211.htm

Are the Cat 3 rooms aft the only ones with the metal verandahs? I'm curious because we have toyed with getting a Cat 3, but I would like a plexi verandah. Which are plexi and which are metal? I think I know the answer to this, but I want to make sure.

Sue Ellen

Yes, only the aft Cat 3's have metal verandahs. The other Cat 3's have the regular glass.

I have stayed in both types of Cat. 3s.

The handicapped ones are MUCH LARGER in terms of living space. There is a desk with a small TV in the bedroom, a large master bath with a roll-in shower and the second bathroom has a regular bath/shower combo. These have the metal verandahs, as discussed, and the verandahs are open overhead and people can see down onto your verandah from above. They only sleep four. They don't have the dressing table area that they have in the regular Cat. 3s

The regular Cat. 3s have the jacuzzi tub, plexiglas verandahs, vanity/dressing table between the closet and bathroom and they sleep five.

Thank you Michelle, that is what I thought. It can be difficult to tel from the literature.

We stayed in a Cat. 4 on our last cruise and were almost all of the way forward. It has plexi for the verandah so I assumed that the Cat 3's up that way were the same.

I have mixed feelings about having a verandah where anyone could look over and see you. I like to sit out there late night/early morning in my PJs and relax. I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that in the aft rooms.

Sue Ellen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter