Diary of a Picky Kid (& his Foodie Mom) DxDDP in December! Update 4/9 'Ohana Dinner!

Go to the Wave!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We loved our meals there. It was probably our best complete dinner that we had. Great service...not fancy at all, but like, really good solid food.

Narcoossee's was just OK for us too. Service and food-wise. I hated my soup too. Whenever there's a scalding hot plate it means that it's just been sitting under a heat lamp for ages....which sucks because how hard is it to scoop some soup into a bowl?

Glad you got refunded. There's nothing worse than having crummy food/service and haying $300 for it.

Oh man, what a disappointing dinner! Other than dessert it doesn't sound like they got anything right. How could that steak have been cooked TWICE? It must have still been mooing when it arrived the first time. You are also not the first person who has mentioned the subpar (slow or nonexistent) service at Narcoossee's. I'd like to try it but I have to admit I'm hesitant. We'd probably do Yachtsman instead.

But wow, your fireworks view was awesome! Great to know about the drink delivery, too. Will tuck that bit of info away for future reference! Glad your night ended on a high note :)

Love your report. It makes me want to try Coral Reef again, but I've been bitten several times.

I've had really hit or miss with Narcosee's and Citrico's. At GF, if I can't get V&A, maybe I'm better off passing...

I adore your vacation rule about changing plans if things aren't fun!

Your Narcoossee's experience makes me reconsider doing Signatures on a DP. Over the past few years, I've had the fall free dining plan & always taken 1 cr TS because of my concern of running into something like this. I'm usually a solo diner & even those dining experiences can be hampered by poor or bordering rude service b/c of the waiter's expectation of lower tip with 1 guest. For great service, I tip very, very well. But if poor or borderline wait service from the get go, then the tip reflects the service. Whenever I consider a Signature, I look at Yachtsman, Narcoossee's & California Grill. But rough reviews make me glad I stuck with some of my old tried & true choices. Another year, if I want something new & different, I may take a good look at the Wave because the majority of reviews on the Boards have been positive. Sorry you had such a crummy experience. One thing wrong is a bummer. Multiple issues is a monster.

I've given Narcoossee's three times. None of them as bad as yours but nothing stellar, especially for the prices. Service has always been mediocre. I prefer Citrico's. I've been there 5 or 6 times and always get great service and wonderful food.

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear how bad your experience was at Narcoossee's! I knew it wasn't great from your previous comments, but wow! I don't like to complain at restaurants either, but in this case it was definitely warranted. I'm glad you emailed them to let them know, that should be unacceptable anywhere, but at a Disney Signature...definitely not!

The desserts looked good though, even though the creme brulee wasn't creme brulee. At least it tasted good.

I understand your dilemma with trying it again or not. That's a tough call! My initial thought was to tell you to try Yachtsman, then I saw that it wouldn't fit in with your plans. We had the best meal by far there, and all of us bring it up from time to time two months later. I like a previous poster's suggestion of The Wave. I've not had dinner there, but it's always on my radar because it gets consistently good reviews.

I think it was a good idea to call an audible on MK...it's no fun when it's crowded like that and guests aren't on their best behavior. Being on the receiving end of an ECV-to-the-ankle and getting chewed out would have sent me over the edge.

Ending with Poly fireworks seemed to be the perfect way to get things back on track. That's an amazing view of Wishes!! I'm staying at the Polynesian for the first time in October, and I'm really looking forward to seeing Hallowishes and the new Happily Ever After from the resort a couple of times.

They will fly in Sunday and we will stay in the MK area and I would like to have a nice meal with them but they are pretty basic eaters... so in the MK area the basic steak and seafood restaurant is Narcoossees. I have a huge dilemma... do I give them another chance to screw it all up or do I chalk it up to a bad night and give them another try? I would not ordinarily try them again so soon but of all of the MK menus it is the one that I think would most appeal to and impress my parents... and I was thinking we could do DxDDP and burn a whole ton of credits there that night, especially if I can score a 2 bedroom for that one night at GFV and really impress them. SIGH.

Oh my goshhhh. After reading this I can't believe how awful it was! I'm so sorry. At least they refunded your money, that was nice. I wonder if your parents would like Cali Grill or Citrico's? I've never been to Citricos so I have no clue about the menu but I feel like you don't hear about it often. I love Cali Grill and I know you said you had a great meal as well, but I'm remembering the filet and duck fat potatoes and thinking it's a little less plain than Narcoossee's.. but you could get your pork 2 ways and wow them with fireworks!

Chateau Ste. Michelle Eroica Riesling, Columbia Valley

It was fine. This is the more expensive version of the Reisling I drink at home that is $12 a bottle even on Martha's Vineyard, and I bet like $10 a bottle off island... so I expected it to be better since it was the more expensive version... per their website $22 a bottle (vs. $10 for the one I drink). I didn't really like it much better than the cheaper version... in fact, I think I prefer the cheaper version. I like my reisling a little sweeter and honestly my favorite was the chateau san michele harvest select sweet reisling (also $10 for the bottle, I'm a classy broad what can I say? lol) but I do drink the regular version a lot and found it a bit less acidic than the eroica.

I can't lie, I'm a cheap $10/bottle broad myself.. and I really liked this wine! Although they do charge you $14 a glass for what is most definitely not worth more than $12 a bottle. I agree though, I buy the regular Chateau St Michelle regularly and love it. But I've also been buying Winking Owl from Aldi for $2.98/bottle, so what do I know!

If I had to guess I would say that they dished this out way before they served it and the heat lamp heated up the bowl but that the soup was insulated under the layer of skin. Again for a signature, not really ok.

Uhh... ew!! That is so unacceptable, especially for a signature that's charging you over $10 a bowl.

My lobster was undercooked and hadn't quite gone that bright orange that it turns when it is all the way cooked. I knew it was supposed to be that way because our neighbors had one that looked right. By the time I cut into it, and realized it was uncooked, and my waitress was MIA, I just kind of had enough. I didn't care much for the asparagus either but I don't like huge fat stalks of old asparagus where you have to peel off the skin of the stalks. Bigger is not better (just my opinion though!) I like thin baby asparagus.

:crazy2: Omg. Poor kiddo with his steak. I had the same issue at Le Cellier, but I didn't send mine back because I had already eaten around the outside (which was charred and perfectly fine) and like you I won't complain for myself. I think I've graduated to ordering medium well at Disney since it always comes out a bit too rare. Swear mine was bleeding and cool. At least your little guy liked his dessert!

We seriously had a wonderful meal at Narcoossee's so I'm so sorry yours wasn't great. I especially hate that these signature meals are NOT cheap, so good service is expected and you didn't even get that! :(

Go to the Wave!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We loved our meals there. It was probably our best complete dinner that we had. Great service...not fancy at all, but like, really good solid food.

Narcoossee's was just OK for us too. Service and food-wise. I hated my soup too. Whenever there's a scalding hot plate it means that it's just been sitting under a heat lamp for ages....which sucks because how hard is it to scoop some soup into a bowl?

Glad you got refunded. There's nothing worse than having crummy food/service and haying $300 for it.
I am really tortured about how to structure the end of our trip! The next one I mean. My two big issues are this:

do I get a studio for 3 nights for us and for 3 nights for them or do I get one for 2 nights for us and then move to a 2 bedroom the last night? Yes it is a lot of moving but my parents will not do the parks... if I get a 2 bedroom for the last night I can treat my parents to the master bedroom and a really impressive room for the night, it's not that much more than two studios (not for one night at least) and they will not do the parks - my mom will do our laundry that evening while we go to the parks and it is 3 days' less clothes I have to worry about packing (I know I sound a little ridiculous but my mother lives to do laundry and would love to do it for us, lol). So for the "cost" of the move i'd get to really treat them to a nice room for the night before the cruise... I might even have a shot at getting a 2br at GFV for that one night even since it is the sunday after winter break for most people. and then where do I stay? My home resort is at BWV so where I stay will depend on 7 month availability. I'd love to stay at the Poly again, great access to both epcot and MK and if I stayed there I'd get two studios of course (can't afford a bungalow lol... if I could I might consider doing it and 'Ohana feast and watching fireworks from the bungalow but it's a whole year's worth of points for me!) But also if I could get a 2 bedroom BLT theme park view it would be fantastic too.

And then where do we eat? I kind of wanted to do a character breakfast in the morning but with my parents coming... my dad does not like a buffet. I was thinking if we stay at BLT that the wave for breakfast would be great because I've always wanted to try their buffet but my dad could get his "two eggs, bacon, home fries, toast" there. Same thing at Kona, that would work and I could get the samoan. GF cafe seems to have a decent enough breakfast. I can just do the character meals with the kiddo at other times. OR maybe I should stay at WLV which has beautiful theming, I think the menu at AP might not be too challenging for them and we could do WCC in the morning. Or even WCC both meals, there is plain grilled steak for dad, kid loves bbq, bottomless shakes, great disney atmosphere and the breakfast is equally appealing. It's just not as easy to get to and from MK by boat as it is via monorail I don't think but maybe it is. Uggggh other people make it stressful wanting it to be perfect! But the wave is on my radar for breakfast for sure!

Yeah it was $237 and change. I sent a copy of the receipt and they refunded the entire amount. Also at one point in our conversations I mentioned that the kiddo had lost his magic band on space mountain on our last day (it was a bb8 magic band) and they sent a new one of those too. Guest services definitely took good care of us so no complaints there!

Oh man, what a disappointing dinner! Other than dessert it doesn't sound like they got anything right. How could that steak have been cooked TWICE? It must have still been mooing when it arrived the first time. You are also not the first person who has mentioned the subpar (slow or nonexistent) service at Narcoossee's. I'd like to try it but I have to admit I'm hesitant. We'd probably do Yachtsman instead.

But wow, your fireworks view was awesome! Great to know about the drink delivery, too. Will tuck that bit of info away for future reference! Glad your night ended on a high note :)

The only thing I can think of is they had the grill up WAY too hot, because it was nicely marked on the outside the first time and grilled as long as you could without being completely inedible due to char on the outside the second time but still very rare. Actually the kid PREFERS medium rare but I find that is the most difficult temperature to get right and at Disney I have found steaks were more often done under than over, so medium often got medium to medium rare and was the safe way to order. I always order medium rare because I prefer rare to medium rare, medium is too done for me so if it actually comes out right if I order medium I am not thrilled. But that was just ridiculous. Someone suggested maybe my expectations were too high (I was pretty excited about that meal) but I am glad to be vindicated that really the steak was just done plain wrong. It wasn't even my meal but there is no way I can serve my kid purple meat! He is ok with a bit red but it has to be warm all the way through.

I ate there once years ago (like maybe it was even my honeymoon in 1998) and the menu hasn't changed all that much (it's always been the basics, which si fine) and I remember being unimpressed... to the point where I haven't been back since (we were staying concierge at GF so I think we hit all 3 there - citricos, narcoossees and V&A chef table back in the day). I haven't really been back to citricos since but I'm not sure why... I don't remember the food but I think maybe I was not super thrilled by the interior location or have just preferred other signatures and have not really been over in the GF very much since our honeymoon (crazily enough, it was not my favorite hotel... I always preferred contemporary on the monorail since my latest love affair with the poly... or the boardwalk which is where we owned). I have always had a good meal at CA Grill. It was a highlight in 2014 when I took the kiddo for the first time since my divorce 5 years earlier and that was not that long after the renovations and reviews were pretty meh. I had the spicy kazan roll which was probably my favorite thing of the trip and the pork two ways. I think you cannot possibly go wrong with either of these classics (even though they keep changing up the pork it just seems to get better and better).

Yeah I think with tax and gratuity and delivery it was like $28 for two drinks. Which is not exactly CHEAP but where I live, say $11 for a drink (plus tax and gratuity so up to $14 or so) is pretty average. And they brought it to us! The room was FANTASTIC, I mean truly. I fell head over heels for the poly!

Love your report. It makes me want to try Coral Reef again, but I've been bitten several times.

I've had really hit or miss with Narcosee's and Citrico's. At GF, if I can't get V&A, maybe I'm better off passing...

I adore your vacation rule about changing plans if things aren't fun!

Yeah, I honestly have never had a bad meal at CR so I am not sure about all of the hate but maybe I just got here and manage to pick the one good thing on the menu ;) I have never seen a review of their shrimp and grits but it was what I wanted and it was excellent. I live in an area with lots of local seafood so I am fine if it's more of a generic frozen seafood menu there... I use frozen shrimp myself at home.

Haha I love your high GF standards, lol. I haven't been to V&A in decades and now have no one to go with. I'd like to get back one day!

Your Narcoossee's experience makes me reconsider doing Signatures on a DP. Over the past few years, I've had the fall free dining plan & always taken 1 cr TS because of my concern of running into something like this. I'm usually a solo diner & even those dining experiences can be hampered by poor or bordering rude service b/c of the waiter's expectation of lower tip with 1 guest. For great service, I tip very, very well. But if poor or borderline wait service from the get go, then the tip reflects the service. Whenever I consider a Signature, I look at Yachtsman, Narcoossee's & California Grill. But rough reviews make me glad I stuck with some of my old tried & true choices. Another year, if I want something new & different, I may take a good look at the Wave because the majority of reviews on the Boards have been positive. Sorry you had such a crummy experience. One thing wrong is a bummer. Multiple issues is a monster.

Well I've always had good luck at CA Grill. Even in 2014 right after their renovations when people were saying it was not the same, it was bad etc... we had a great meal. Server makes such a difference too and if our server at Narcoossees had been on top of things to make it right, it would not have been so bad. Honestly if the entrees were good, I prob would not have complained about the apps and just said "eh didn't care much for the soup or the shrimp". Honestly at the time when I was eating them I thought it was just personal preference on the shrimp and my fault for letting the soup sit until I reviewed the pics and I noticed the shrimp were burned at one end and did remember the last bite was so much better than the rest with a non burned shrimp and enough sauce... or maybe just the charred flavor of the shrimp overwhelmed the sauce because it looks like there is sauce on all of the shrimp. I guess you can say that it is more sucky if you have a bad meal at a sig because you've paid twice as much and have higher expectations.

I've given Narcoossee's three times. None of them as bad as yours but nothing stellar, especially for the prices. Service has always been mediocre. I prefer Citrico's. I've been there 5 or 6 times and always get great service and wonderful food.
Yeah, my first experience was mediocre... It was not bad but I had no real desire to go back. But when I started looking at more plain menus for my son I decided the butter poached lobster would be a win and it wasn't. Oh well. Live and learn! It was really my only bad meal so back to shiny, happy reviews next!

If your parents aren't interested in going to the parks maybe they would like staying at BWV/BCV? It's a lovely resort and they can just kinda putter around the Boardwalk area. Captain's Grille has a nice little breakfast in the mornings, and you could take them to Yachtsman for a good steak dinner.

I don't enjoy moving resorts, especially if I'm there for such a short time. I find it disruptive and there's no telling whether or not it will go smoothly.

If your parents aren't interested in going to the parks maybe they would like staying at BWV/BCV? It's a lovely resort and they can just kinda putter around the Boardwalk area. Captain's Grille has a nice little breakfast in the mornings, and you could take them to Yachtsman for a good steak dinner.

I don't enjoy moving resorts, especially if I'm there for such a short time. I find it disruptive and there's no telling whether or not it will go smoothly.
the problem is I wanted to go to MK on sunday, pop out to meet them for dinner and then back to the park. a monorail resort would be best for that. I would stay at a monorail resort the entire time too without a problem but it might be harder to get at the tail end of school break week (sunday should be less of a problem anywhere).

Yeah, I honestly have never had a bad meal at CR so I am not sure about all of the hate but maybe I just got here and manage to pick the one good thing on the menu ;) I have never seen a review of their shrimp and grits but it was what I wanted and it was excellent. I live in an area with lots of local seafood so I am fine if it's more of a generic frozen seafood menu there... I use frozen shrimp myself at home.

Haha I love your high GF standards, lol. I haven't been to V&A in decades and now have no one to go with. I'd like to get back one day!

Well, I may have to give CR another chance for a lunch maybe - I'm just "picky" about food in general, but not in the way people on the disboards use picky; if I'm really honest, maybe I'm a just a flipping snob? I love shrimp and grits though and I love the atmosphere of CR and the nostalgia of it from childhood. I also think my next trip in the coming months may involve a 16 and 17 year old girl, and I think that CR for a lunch would work.

V&A - if I can get a reservation I'll eat there any time/any type of dining experience, still never been able to get Chef's Table though...ding dang 180 planners!

I think its great your little one is well behaved enough to go all those restaurants. For of those of us without kids, it makes my heart happy:)

I basically have quoted your entire post one line at a time so I'm sorry in advance for the novel-length response. You basically had the twin of our brunch experience. Did your server's name start with an A by any chance?

but unfortunately between the time I wanted it and the time it was time to order dessert our server never came back
Uh huh. Verrrry familiar...

honestly, I'm pretty happy with my $10 wine
Ha! Yes! I find wine I like and dislike at the $5 a bottle range and $40 a bottle range. Gotta go with what you know you like!

the kid enjoyed the heck out of this straw, even to the point of making me take it home.
I may be guilty of this too :rolleyes1 though your kid at least got his free, I paid 59 cents each at Cosmic Ray's

I thought this was just ok and definitely NOT as good as the shrimp and grits I had at the coral reef.
I actually liked the shrimp and grits at Narcoossee's but ours wasn't overcooked at brunch. And now I definitely want to try Coral Reef!

whut? why should the plate on a bowl of soup that had no reason to be under a broiler be that hot?
Because their pacing is totally wrong and they left your dish there to languish?

it came out with the skin on it
YUP, that's what I thought!

Again for a signature, not really ok.
This is my point exactly. If this happens at Red Lobster it's wrong, but for it to happen at a signature restaurant, which you have held out to the public as your flagship of dining experiences, you should be downright ashamed.

So the other mom and I sat on the balcony sipping these beauties
Man the first time I saw you got these I was thinking they were both for you... I can't believe you shared...

My (unsolicited) thoughts on your dilemma with your parents - to me California Grill is just the pinnacle of Disney magic in dining - it's about the same price as Narcoossee's and every time I've dined there it's been special. If you want Disney magic, I would do California Grill. If you want classic steakhouse and lobster I would go with the Boathouse - they have lots of simple dishes there and it was certainly better than our experience at Narcoossee's.

I just spent way too much time reading your whole report as I have a very picky 6 year old, who I am certain has some sensory issues and working on getting those diagnosed. He doesn't eat near as much as your son though. :( The older he gets the harder it gets for me to justify paying for meals for him with the dining plan, but my husband swears by the dining plan. So there you go...simple meals booked!

I am excited to try Garden Grill in April, but I'm there for a runcation so no kiddos! Tusker House is one of our favorites and we'll doing breakfast there as a family in October. Coral Reef might be an interesting try for us. The kids would like the fish tank and my oldest and DH would love the shrimp and grits. I'll have to look to see if the 6 yo will eat anything there.

Your review of H&V reminds me why I swore I would never eat there again honestly, even though I was toying with the idea of doing the Halloween meal...because Halloween costumed characters. We did the Disney Jr. breakfast once and it was ok, but we did the Star Wars dinner there and it was horrendous. It is the one and only time I have ever complained at Disney....well, probably at any restaurant ever. We didn't even have good character interaction. There was a bug in my wine. The server was dismissive and inattentive. Food was yuck and cold half the time. And DH took the kids to the bathroom and he said it was on par with a horrible roadside gas station the state the bathroom was in. And yet, somehow I keep thinking that maybe we could do the Halloween meal! The lure of the characters in those costumes is strong! LOL!

Anyways, following along and enjoying your dining report.

Wow, I cant believe the horrible experience you all had at Narcoossee's. We've always enjoyed our meals there, but clearly they were definitely off that night. And I'm with you on being torn. Our worst dining experience thus far has been at Brown Derby and that was almost 3 years ago and we still haven't been back. Glad disney made it right and refunded your money though!

Ugh, I've been dreading your Narcoossee's review because you know we really like it lol. I will say first off that I completely understand being torn about returning. Even though my situation involved a Disney resort and not a restaurant, we had such a bad experience at BWV in 2015 that the thought of returning makes my stomach turn, even though I know the chances of it being that bad again are only 50/50 and going back doesn't bother DH at all.

We showed up at Narcoossees around the same time and it was PACKED full of people... kids running everywhere, no seats in the little lobby area.
This has been our experience too on the big 2 times we've been there, but it does calm down once we're seated. I think just like with CG it's a popular signature or kids b/c of the Wishes viewing?

I will admit this right now... these are the WORST tables in the restaurant. It basically puts someone with their back to the aisle.
Chris and I had a table in this area in Nov. I had my back to the aisle but it didn't bother me; however DH absolutely cannot sit with his back to a door in a restaurant because he needs to see what's going on

Narcoossees was the winner here with the mickey straw.
lol I felt the same way in Nov.

they had one bathroom down for renovations. After waiting for 10 minutes for all of the men and the 8 little boys who were let in ahead of me unsupervised to clear out of the bathroom
I think I got lucky in Nov. because it was the women's bathroom that was open. And luckily there was no line, so I got right in and Chris got right in behind me. Good thing too, because I had 3 glasses of wine so if I had to wait to get to the GF lobby it wouldn't have been pretty!

No crowds, in pajamas, sitting on the balcony with drinks in hand ordered from room service:
Gorgeous view of the fireworks :love: We had no view from our room when we stayed at the Poly but we've hit the jackpot at pretty much every other deluxe we've stayed at.

but ht we've been honestly I am still torn about narcoossees. I mean, I know what I got was not typical.
Yeah I have to say what you got is NOT typical. However I also agree your meal sucked. If that had been our experience on our first visit I don't know that we would have returned, at least not so quickly. But, and I know you know this :D, we've loved both our meals there and they have my favorite dessert as well as Chris' favorite filet, so maybe give them another chance? If not with your parents than some other time. And if you don't go with your parents, as some others have suggested look at the Citricos menu. DH and I have eaten there twice and are returning next month, it's fantastic and our service there has been top notch.

I'm also a mom to a very picky eater, so I eagerly read your reviews! My 9 year old DD is far pickier than your DS, though -- the only thing she'll eat at a restaurant is french fries and dessert. :( But it was fun to read about your trip. Thanks for sharing!

Well, I may have to give CR another chance for a lunch maybe - I'm just "picky" about food in general, but not in the way people on the disboards use picky; if I'm really honest, maybe I'm a just a flipping snob? I love shrimp and grits though and I love the atmosphere of CR and the nostalgia of it from childhood. I also think my next trip in the coming months may involve a 16 and 17 year old girl, and I think that CR for a lunch would work.

V&A - if I can get a reservation I'll eat there any time/any type of dining experience, still never been able to get Chef's Table though...ding dang 180 planners!

I think its great your little one is well behaved enough to go all those restaurants. For of those of us without kids, it makes my heart happy:)
If you give it a go, make your ADR for right at 11:30 when they open. I have found that places known for spotty service are usually fine right when they open... it's when things get busy that they start to deteriorate. Our service was just fine there. I mean it was not standout but neither were most of the other places... but she was there when we needed something, she explained things that needed explaining and the timing on everything was fine. The server at the table next to us seemed quite a bit warmer but I would never penalize a server for being merely efficient (though someone who is very warm and makes us feel great about being there gets a killer tip).

I'm pretty snobby too, if you can't tell by my picking apart every little thing, but that said I am overall pretty easy to please if that makes sense. I will think about what could make things better and how I wish things were done but the point at which I stop enjoying myself is a pretty low bar to clear, lol. Right now I would say it's right around the quality of H&V Buffet... which was fine and some things were tasty and we did not leave hungry but I honestly can't get remotely excited about going there again. I did really like the shrimp at grits at coral reef though, it was a good and well balanced dish. The shrimp were not extraordinary (I am not there yet but the shrimp at 'Ohana were.... but to be honest I am pretty sure it is impossible to get that flavor out of shrimp if you cook them outside of the shells so there is that) but they were good solid shrimp (not iodiney and no weird texture and not over or undercooked) and the dish as a whole was quite tasty. not many of the other dishes really appealed to me.

V&A may be a thing of the past for me, lol.
I basically have quoted your entire post one line at a time so I'm sorry in advance for the novel-length response. You basically had the twin of our brunch experience. Did your server's name start with an A by any chance?
I love it, it's something I would do lol. It began with an R actually. But honestly observing a lot of the service around us, there were other servers who seemed kind of off (a planning buddy from the DIS was there at the same time and her server was so-so and her food was not great that night either... overcooked fish was the one thing I remember her saying specifically, though nothing as bad as mine).

Ha! Yes! I find wine I like and dislike at the $5 a bottle range and $40 a bottle range. Gotta go with what you know you like!
At some point in your life you stop worrying about what you feel you SHOULD like and just go with what you do like. To me that was like late 30's.

I may be guilty of this too :rolleyes1 though your kid at least got his free, I paid 59 cents each at Cosmic Ray's
not that Disney is not beyond that level of pettiness but when your meal is pushing $120 a person with tip... you'd think they'd not charge you $0.59 for a straw. or alternatively, you got the better deal on what your straw cost!

I actually liked the shrimp and grits at Narcoossee's but ours wasn't overcooked at brunch. And now I definitely want to try Coral Reef!
you can't really see in the pics but it had lots of fleck of char on it (like it had transferred for something else) and had a bit of an ashy taste. I think only one was truly overcooked and I do remember thinking "huh that must be the bbq part." The last one had a bit more sauce and none of the ash and it was a really good bite which made me wish I paid more attention to what was wrong at the beginning.

Because their pacing is totally wrong and they left your dish there to languish?
BINGO!

This is my point exactly. If this happens at Red Lobster it's wrong, but for it to happen at a signature restaurant, which you have held out to the public as your flagship of dining experiences, you should be downright ashamed.
yeah it was kind of a slow burn with me. I was annoyed at dinner and then got more and more annoyed as the night went on. I wasn't really sure where to complain once I left the GF and we were kind of all set with FPs and whatever typical magic they make so I decided to just forget it and deal with it at home, where I was able to write a calm email. The guest services guy was really great... honestly because it was part of the dining plan and we got SUCH a good value. i mostly just wanted to be heard. But the refund was nice too, and it went right back to Disney.

Man the first time I saw you got these I was thinking they were both for you... I can't believe you shared...
I'm wishing I got the lapu lapu. what better time to be knocked on your butt than in your own room? Honestly during this whole trip it was so hot and so tiring I never really felt like drinking. I'd like to take a slower paced grownup trip someday where I can enjoy a few cocktails too. Touring alone with your kid is not conducive to drinking because I hate feeling fuzzy when I am responsible for him and even when I am somewhere (like at a family gathering) where I am not solely responsible for all of the good decisions and keeping him safe, he always ruins my buzz lol. Just bad timing I guess. So one frozen drink (it was not that strong) was probably just about right. I didn't even get to an avocado margarita on this trip!

My (unsolicited) thoughts on your dilemma with your parents - to me California Grill is just the pinnacle of Disney magic in dining - it's about the same price as Narcoossee's and every time I've dined there it's been special. If you want Disney magic, I would do California Grill. If you want classic steakhouse and lobster I would go with the Boathouse - they have lots of simple dishes there and it was certainly better than our experience at Narcoossee's.
after asking for availability help on the DVC boards it seems like my best bet will be 2 nights in a studio for me and the kiddo then a 2 bedroom somewhere near the MK the last night and doing the MK on sunday.... otherwise I'm going to be crossing my fingers for a cancellation past the 7 month window.

I was actually thinking of maybe getting a 2BR at the grand floridian villas because it's not THAT many more points for 1 night there vs BLT and I've never stayed there myself and it would be a good opportunity to try it out. It's just drop dead gorgeous. But then I'm wondering if theme park BLT might be good too. or even VWL, they should have a lot of inventory with the new villas. All that said, I'm actually more thinking of going for a lower tier restaurant. we love CA grill but pop pop, although he loves steak, is more of a strip steak or ribeye kind of a guy (he does not like filet). I think both he and my mother would find the menu quite off putting. Looking at GF Cafe, they have a lot of basics that they would love. If I can get them on the monorail, Kona Cafe would give them a little taste of the Poly. I thought about 'Ohana but not sure if they would enjoy the atmosphere of that after a day of travel. I have never been to GF cafe but the sort of onion soup/ shrimp cocktail/ wings appetizers and steak or burger dinner is right up their alley. Picky kid LOVES a good burger and fries as of late - but no bun (he does not like the texture of a bun that gets juices in it) so he'd probably love the heck out of that kobe burger plain with a side of fries. I think given the prices of signatures there is just too much pressure on a day when my parents are inclined to be tired after travel anyway so a second tier might work. I just don't love the atmosphere of the wave. Maybe I can get them to go somewhere a little more interesting for breakfast like the wave or kona or something or maybe even *gasp* a character meal (poppop does NOT like "sneeze bars" but I MIGHT convince him of 'Ohana). I think I will have to pick resort first before deciding. As you can see i am still all over the place :P

I just spent way too much time reading your whole report as I have a very picky 6 year old, who I am certain has some sensory issues and working on getting those diagnosed. He doesn't eat near as much as your son though. :( The older he gets the harder it gets for me to justify paying for meals for him with the dining plan, but my husband swears by the dining plan. So there you go...simple meals booked!

I am excited to try Garden Grill in April, but I'm there for a runcation so no kiddos! Tusker House is one of our favorites and we'll doing breakfast there as a family in October. Coral Reef might be an interesting try for us. The kids would like the fish tank and my oldest and DH would love the shrimp and grits. I'll have to look to see if the 6 yo will eat anything there.

Your review of H&V reminds me why I swore I would never eat there again honestly, even though I was toying with the idea of doing the Halloween meal...because Halloween costumed characters. We did the Disney Jr. breakfast once and it was ok, but we did the Star Wars dinner there and it was horrendous. It is the one and only time I have ever complained at Disney....well, probably at any restaurant ever. We didn't even have good character interaction. There was a bug in my wine. The server was dismissive and inattentive. Food was yuck and cold half the time. And DH took the kids to the bathroom and he said it was on par with a horrible roadside gas station the state the bathroom was in. And yet, somehow I keep thinking that maybe we could do the Halloween meal! The lure of the characters in those costumes is strong! LOL!

Anyways, following along and enjoying your dining report.

My son did not eat this much at 6. He lived on mac and cheese basically when we were there. He had plain pasta with butter sometimes too and his big thing were the mickey raviolis (which are gone now) at kona cafe (my meal there was miserable so them changing that to tortellini helped me say no to him). So a lot can change in 2 years. What got him really interested in food was watching kid competition shows on food tv. He would still not eat most of what he saw but he was interested.

Not sure what your 6 year old eats but the menu at CR is pretty decent for kids, mac and cheese was always a win for the picky kid but they have grilled chicken too and are flexible about sides... so if there is a mickey check main but your kid isn't into ancient grains and steamed broccoli you can get it with fries if you want. Just be aware, the portions on proteins are VERY small for those, I think to keep it within caloric guidelines. We ordered the mickey check chicken breast at Sanaa and the picky kid was nearly rolling on the floor laughing at his "pigeon breast".

H&V was fine but I'm not eager to eat there again. I once again feel like I did before hand, I'll do it for the kid but not looking forward to it, lol We are probably not going to HS next time so it is a moot point and if we did we'd do Sci Fi again I think, or maybe even mama melrose. I wish the brown derby kid menu was more picky kid friendly. Picky kid is super picky about hot dogs so that's a no go and "whole wheat" is also a no go (we have a hard time with grilled cheese out and about because he doesn't eat kid grilled cheese... soft white bread and american cheese are two hard "no"s for him)

my only advice is kids do stuff when they are ready. And the lure of the characters is VERY strong, yes!

Wow, I cant believe the horrible experience you all had at Narcoossee's. We've always enjoyed our meals there, but clearly they were definitely off that night. And I'm with you on being torn. Our worst dining experience thus far has been at Brown Derby and that was almost 3 years ago and we still haven't been back. Glad disney made it right and refunded your money though!

Yeah, when I complained I mostly just wanted someone to acknowledge that it was bad and say they were sorry but the CM insisted on the refund. Still feel kind of weird about it as it was about 47% of what we paid for the dining plan an I had like 9 other excellent meals but even when I pointed that out he insisted. I felt the only thing I could do was give it right back to Disney for a cruise.

Ugh, I've been dreading your Narcoossee's review because you know we really like it lol. I will say first off that I completely understand being torn about returning. Even though my situation involved a Disney resort and not a restaurant, we had such a bad experience at BWV in 2015 that the thought of returning makes my stomach turn, even though I know the chances of it being that bad again are only 50/50 and going back doesn't bother DH at all.
yeah it is traumatizing to have a bad disney restaurant experience. You have to be emotionally ready again! sometimes I think maybe I just have bad luck at certain places.

This has been our experience too on the big 2 times we've been there, but it does calm down once we're seated. I think just like with CG it's a popular signature or kids b/c of the Wishes viewing?
well it was at 5pm so no wishes viewing but i think the waiting area is just pretty small for more than a couple of families. That said, if the meal had been stellar it wouldn't have bugged me. If we sat down and had the aaah moment and everything went even at least mostly well (like if the apps were just ok but the entrees were spot on) it would have been no biggie. It was just one more thing.

Chris and I had a table in this area in Nov. I had my back to the aisle but it didn't bother me; however DH absolutely cannot sit with his back to a door in a restaurant because he needs to see what's going on
I do NOT like that either but I think because I was raised in NYC by a vietnam vet (well my mom too, but safety stuff was drummed into me by dad). But I didn't want my kid hanging out into the aisle either or not being able to look out the window. This is the same table I had the one other time I went there and I don't like them. The 4-tops in the same ring are perpendicular to the aisle so no one has their back to it. This is one thing that would bug me regardless I think, so if I did it again I would definitely show up earlier for a 5pm adr and request a window (like we did at CA Grill)

I think I got lucky in Nov. because it was the women's bathroom that was open. And luckily there was no line, so I got right in and Chris got right in behind me. Good thing too, because I had 3 glasses of wine so if I had to wait to get to the GF lobby it wouldn't have been pretty!
lol, I get letting kids go first but it was sort of an endless stream of little boys going in there (unsupervised so who knows what that place looked like when they were all done) and there were men in there for a good 10+ minutes... which means um... not a quick pee. The other person waiting and I kind of looked at each other and were like "do you want to follow two men in there over 10 minutes and about 8 little boys? because I don't" and we both left.

Gorgeous view of the fireworks :love: We had no view from our room when we stayed at the Poly but we've hit the jackpot at pretty much every other deluxe we've stayed at.

We had a lake view but having never been to the Poly before I had no idea what it would entail. WOW. Second floor. I know the bungalows can block fireworks from first floor and wasn't even sure if 2nd floor would cut it but it does.

Yeah I have to say what you got is NOT typical. However I also agree your meal sucked. If that had been our experience on our first visit I don't know that we would have returned, at least not so quickly. But, and I know you know this :D, we've loved both our meals there and they have my favorite dessert as well as Chris' favorite filet, so maybe give them another chance? If not with your parents than some other time. And if you don't go with your parents, as some others have suggested look at the Citricos menu. DH and I have eaten there twice and are returning next month, it's fantastic and our service there has been top notch.

My dad is worse than the picky kid in that he is old and grumpy... at least the picky kid is interested in trying new things. So he does take a little bit of managing. He doesn't travel so well so I think safe is the best thing... (I mean since it is a travel day... he VACATIONS great once he gets there but the travel days are rough for him) Heck maybe I will even recommend we just get room service to the villa to be honest, which might be kind of fun. I've found Disney room service to not be horribly more expensive than eating in a restaurant... the entrees are a couple of $$ more and then there is a $3 delivery fee, both of which are worth it to sit at our own table in peace and quiet and eat there. I always do at least one room service meal when I am there, in 2014 we had it at BLT and it was from the wave and absolutely delicious. I have a long time to decide though.

I'm also a mom to a very picky eater, so I eagerly read your reviews! My 9 year old DD is far pickier than your DS, though -- the only thing she'll eat at a restaurant is french fries and dessert. :( But it was fun to read about your trip. Thanks for sharing!

aw, I know he is not the most picky in the world but as I said above in 2014 it was mac and cheese or pasta and butter only. He eats a lot more now than he did then. But it's all been at his own pace. A friend of mine has a son on the spectrum as well and he will pretty much only eat fries. She bites the bullet and pays for him at character meals because he also can't stand in line but he eats a few fries and that's it (and he is not a disney kid either). I find it is easier to just not think at all in terms of food quantity or even what they are eating for value and it's a lot easier to stomach it all.

Thanks everyone for following! I will move on this week to happier meals![/quote][/QUOTE]

I have to say that I have never seen anything like the rush to sign up for Jedi Training.
OMG, we did this in June and this is exactly why I booked a PPO H&V ADR for our Jedi Training day! My kid is too short to keep up with the masses, so we waited 40 minutes in the sign up line, even though we arrived at DHS at 8:20am. Unfortunately, we still didn't get to participate because we got rained out. Boo hoo!

PhotoPass_Visiting_STUDIO_7884406290_zps8j58ksm9.jpeg

HE DID AWESOME.
Such a pro!

Here is our selfie in the back seat of the car:

20161204_112409_zpsiozlatpb.jpg
Nice selfie!

these wings were SO RIGHT.
Glad that worked out!

Flame-broiled New York Strip Steak
Sounds good....

The kid devoured all of this. Every last bite.
Score!

This is maybe a $15 steak in the outside world.
Good to know.

I only had 2 onion rings!
What????? Unacceptable! :)

Day 3 Dinner: California Grill
I enjoyed it the one time I have eaten there.

because he only has one collared shirt
Sounds like my kid, who ate the button off the collared shirt he wore on his first day of Pre-K this year....

I LOVE the approach from the monorail around future world and wanted to do that at least once this trip.
I definitely want to make a plan to do this. We will be at WL, so we'll figure out how to make it work.

But then a friend sent me a code for a free uber and a plan was born - we could uber over to the CR and then monorail over to Epcot after and then walk home after fireworks.
Great plan!

So this is really the most bizarre part of the evening. I tell the waiter that I had that last time and really liked it and asked what he'd recommend. He recommended I get the same thing. I said "well I'd like to try something different." "but if you liked it, why don't you get the same thing?" "because I'd like to try something different. How about the Cucumber Fizz?" "well. if you really like cucumber you might like that. but why don't you get the Santa Monica Cider?" "Because I want to try something different! I'll have the Cucumber Fizz." I don't know that he rolled his eyes when he turned his back but it would not surprise me if he did.
That truly was bizarre.

this drink was exactly what I was in the mood for.
I'm glad it worked out, despite the discouragement from the weirdo bartender.

so this was my view:
Amazing!

the kid thought I had absolutely lost my mind when I commented on it. "Can I taste it mom?" "sure" *shrug* "tastes like water."
HAHAHAHAHA

sourdough rolls (I think? now not so sure) and a lavender foccacia
OMG, sounds wonderful.

Oak Fired Filet of Beef with House-made Macaroni & Cheese
This actually looks very good to me!

She said "oh I was coming to slice up his meat so you can relax and eat your dinner!"
Wow, nice service!

t was perfect in every way
So glad to read that!

Our time in Epcot was also truly magical
It sounds like it!

I'm catching up. Loved your Garden Grill review. It was nice to see a positive one since the last couple I've read were just so-so. It's oun our plans for our Nov/Dec trip. Your Narcoossee's dinner sounds horrid. Ugh. I hope it was just an off night. I'm glad you were able to turn the night around with the fireworks & drinks. Now I'm really disappointed that we aren't staying at the Poly this trip after seeing the drinks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter