Diabetic Question: Before I go down the DAS road.

In addition to different CMs having different attitudes, one major trend that I’ve noticed with both my experience and reading about the experiences of others is that children are often issued DAS with no pushback when adults with the exact same problems are not.

@frndofpooh, I think we must have spoken to the same CM, lol. When I told her it was likely that I might pass out in a long line, her exact words were, “If you think you might pass out in a line, you shouldn’t get in line.”

As a note, I obtained my T1's first DAS with no issue. When she turned 18, and had to try to call from college, the CM was so incredibly rude to her that she texted me in tears. She basically had to beg (she is hypo unaware, and severe lows can hit pretty dramatically), but it was inexcusable. She was less than six months post diagnosis, and still had a dramatic learning curse (we still do). The CM experience with DAS has been very hit or miss for sure.

This would be me. Standing in the standby lane eating a snack praying all goes well because I would feel total guilt out of having to get out of line to sit down if we had been waiting any great amount of time.

Get the DAS. You need it. As T1s we’re so busy proving to everyone that we’re “normal” and can do anything, that we forget we have to do a lot of difficult stuff just to stay alive, that the average person doesn’t have to do. You’re not abusing the system. You’re leveling the playing field, so you can take a break and treat your low, and still be in the line. (DAS doesn’t let you skip the line, it just means you don’t have to stand in the physical queue, you still wait the same amount of time.)

The human body spent millions of years evolving an effective glucose metabolizing system. You’re trying to replicate it with a pocket calculator and some sharp sticks. You deserve a little help now and again.

To the previous posters who were denied DAS, I would certainly go speak to a cast member in person. My experience was vastly different. I think I said like two sentences before the CM cut me off to say I was approved. The second time I applied I didn’t say anything they said I see you already have a photo in the system you’re all set. It shouldn’t matter which CM you speak with, but obviously it does….

Or I’m just that persuasive? I did spend my 20’s explaining to bouncers exactly why I needed to bring food / drink into clubs / raves. Those were some interesting conversations. I always ended up keeping my juice boxes.

To the OP: have a plan in place for what you will do if you go low and need to sit in the A/C. We went last month and with the DAS, Genie+ and ILL there was a LOT of walking in the sun. We did all the things right (rope drop, take breaks, fans and cooling towels) and still had instances where someone needed to suddenly sit in the A/C because of the amount of walking we were doing between rides in the sun caused someone to get lightheaded. On more than one occasion that break turned in to sitting on the floor of a store hoping we were out of the way. Everyone always says they will sit on the shade and take a break from the heat, but in the summer shade is no help and find a place to sit is damn near impossible unless you are getting food.

I know that this is how Disney operates, but I really wish that they would consider the anxiety this policy pushes on their customers, and find some better way. I've used DAS for a number of years to great success. I was quite reluctant the first couple of trips that I requested it, and only did it mid-way through the trip with some prodding from my wife, after multiple situations where my T1D caused issues.

Just like my "expiration dates" on my prescriptions, Disney could acknowledge that this condition doesn't get better over time. As each trip nears, I am racked with anxiety about whether how I explain my needs this time around meets the threshold for the particular CM I'm speaking to in order to be granted a DAS pass again.
But the handling of the condition could get better, right? I've worked with a student who has Down Syndrome and type 1 diabetes. Getting a nonverbal child, and one who was also diagnosed as being autistic, to test, let us know how he felt, etc, got better over time. Then he got a pump, and that made it easier, and then he got another one that had an app we could access, and it got even easier. So while the condition may not get better (here's hoping that there's a future cure) the handling of it can.
As a note, I obtained my T1's first DAS with no issue. When she turned 18, and had to try to call from college, the CM was so incredibly rude to her that she texted me in tears. She basically had to beg (she is hypo unaware, and severe lows can hit pretty dramatically), but it was inexcusable. She was less than six months post diagnosis, and still had a dramatic learning curse (we still do). The CM experience with DAS has been very hit or miss for sure.
Wouldn't she still be in the computer? Did she say she was renewing it?

But the handling of the condition could get better, right? I've worked with a student who has Down Syndrome and type 1 diabetes. Getting a nonverbal child, and one who was also diagnosed as being autistic, to test, let us know how he felt, etc, got better over time. Then he got a pump, and that made it easier, and then he got another one that had an app we could access, and it got even easier. So while the condition may not get better (here's hoping that there's a future cure) the handling of it can.

Yes - she did. The telephone CM was a nightmare. That is the only time she had an issue; and we have probably been 5 or 6 times since diagnosis. The inconsistency is a real problem.

That's not the case for our life. My husband has a rare form of diabetes that is progressive.

It will never get "better over time" and will only get worse.

No amount of getting better at handling it will change anything.

That's not the case for our life. My husband has a rare form of diabetes that is progressive.

But, admittedly this is a rare instance. For many of us, after initial diagnosis we are able to understand our condition better and adjust our plans as needed. It sounds like DAS is appropriate for your husband. There are many for whom it is. I think the CMs could probably be better trained to handle these conversations and be more consistent. But it is a need based accommodation. Not diagnosis based. Diagnosis may never change but needs can, and sometimes do. Which is why it needs to be requested and renewed and isn’t just given once, for all future visits.

I would definitely say that there are T1's who may not need a DAS; in our case, the T1 is hypo unaware. Yes, she has a CGM, but that just alerts, it doesn't stop that double down arrow magically. I also think (just our personal observation) that extreme heat can affect levels, especially when you're not used to it. Florida in the summer is a
pretty different climate wise from us, so that's a factor. And moderate/mild exercise (which walking is for my T1) is also a crazy drop for my kid; for others, that might not be so.

Combine all that, and only a little over 2 years since diagnosis (with all the bathroom breaks, eating/drinking/injecting/finger sticking) and DAS is an absolute necessity for us. I love the diabetic community for the support we've gotten, but one thing I've learned is that different people with diabetes are affected in vastly different ways. Maybe that's part of the problem with the inconsistent Cast Member reactions?

For folks with type 1 their pancreas stops producing insulin completely - usually within a few months. Just curious what type of diabetes your husband has - will it roll over to type 1 eventually? I think the farthest it could progress is to be like a type 1 diabetic....as far as I'm aware. As anyone with type 1 knows - one day to the next can be completely different - the body is so complex. I'm sorry your husband has to deal with this.

I agree that the methods of delivering insulin and glucose monitoring have gotten better over time just since my son was diagnosed over 15 years ago. Amazing to see what people are doing with looped pumps these days...I think those will be standard eventually.

I would definitely say that there are T1's who may not need a DAS; in our case, the T1 is hypo unaware. Yes, she has a CGM, but that just alerts, it doesn't stop that double down arrow magically. I also think (just our personal observation) that extreme heat can affect levels, especially when you're not used to it. Florida in the summer is a pretty different climate wise from us, so that's a factor. And moderate/mild exercise (which walking is for my T1) is also a crazy drop for my kid; for others, that might not be so.
Update: So today is the day that I have decided I'm going to have to try to request DAS tomorrow. Today I will have to do more research about the request. I thought I was getting a handle and feeling like I could do this without it. The past week has been a nightmare, more double arrows this week than past 2 years. It's been hot here, not Florida hot but close and very hot for where I live. My sugars have been a nightmare. Going low if I do mild exercise and taking forever to rebound (normally if I start going low I can have a snack and up again in 5-10 mins, now it's taking 20-30 mins and I'm staying low for too long. I need to sit down and once back up a bathroom break is necessary as my tummy isn't happy I have been low so long. A line up is going to be impossible when it happens. So as an emotional wreck I'm going to have to try in hopes I don't ruin the vacation for everyone.

Thanks to all for their thoughts and opinions.

Update: So today is the day that I have decided I'm going to have to try to request DAS tomorrow. Today I will have to do more research about the request. I thought I was getting a handle and feeling like I could do this without it. The past week has been a nightmare, more double arrows this week than past 2 years. It's been hot here, not Florida hot but close and very hot for where I live. My sugars have been a nightmare. Going low if I do mild exercise and taking forever to rebound (normally if I start going low I can have a snack and up again in 5-10 mins, now it's taking 20-30 mins and I'm staying low for too long. I need to sit down and once back up a bathroom break is necessary as my tummy isn't happy I have been low so long. A line up is going to be impossible when it happens. So as an emotional wreck I'm going to have to try in hopes I don't ruin the vacation for everyone.

Keep in mind that even if you don't get pre-approved for the DAS, you can try on site and still have the pass to use. I would recommend that strategy for sure if the online request doesn't go well. Praying for the best for you!

I wish there was another option in the "like" menu that was more sympathetic than the sad choice! We're all suffering here in the heat as well - even the pup is having tummy and bathroom issues! Good news (IMO) is that the heat is actually easier to handle down there in Florida because there's just so much more air conditioning. WDW seemed to have it cranked last month, compared to the same time a year ago. So I hope that helps you feel a bit better. Good luck with DAS (((hug)))

So this morning I jumped on as soon as the clock read 8:30:00 lol. (7am EST). Within 23 mins I had already had my chat and was approved. I did a little cry while waiting for the planner to come on. In my head I had myself built up on how bad it was going to be with questions and things so it was a relief.
When the planning started is when the chat glitched out, finally got it back. Did the picks and when she asked me to review them full glitch, can't get the chat back at all. I decided I'm not too worried about the prepicks, and gave up. They now have a message up that there are extremely long waits so I can and will move on.

Quick question, I assume you don't have to chime into your prepicks right? Some of them won't work (like Mission Space right after Space 220 eating, awww NO! lol)

Thanks again to everyone for support, I'm hoping that my sugars will love Florida and just stabilize but I at least have it if I need it. :)

I just pre registered my son’s DAS and at the beginning of the process there was a spot to click if you’ve already been approved and just need to make your selections. So you shouldn’t have wait through the whole line again.

Quick question, I assume you don't have to chime into your prepicks right? Some of them won't work (like Mission Space right after Space 220 eating, awww NO! lol)

You have an hour to use your advance selections. It’s a use it or lose it situation for that selection, but you can still use the day of DAS tool even if you skip your pre-picks. We skipped a bunch of ours because the timing didn’t work.

Space220 was so fun! Make sure to request a DAS for something with a long line before you sit down for a meal. You can wait in air conditioning while you eat!

To the previous posters who were denied DAS, I would certainly go speak to a cast member in person. My experience was vastly different. I think I said like two sentences before the CM cut me off to say I was approved. The second time I applied I didn’t say anything they said I see you already have a photo in the system you’re all set. It shouldn’t matter which CM you speak with, but obviously it does….

Or I’m just that persuasive? I did spend my 20’s explaining to bouncers exactly why I needed to bring food / drink into clubs / raves. Those were some interesting conversations. I always ended up keeping my juice boxes.
All of my denied requests were in person.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter