DHS/Toy Story Land "Early Morning Magic" (EMM) FAQ & Discussion

We also rode the boat this morning to EMM from the Yacht Club. We got out there about 6:15 this morning, and around 6:20 we saw 3 boats head to the Boardwalk, Swan/Dolphin, and Yacht/Beach Club. The boat started for Hollywood Studios at 6:35.

We had a great morning! We rode Slinky Dog 3 times, TSM 3 times, and Alien Swirling Saucers once.

I got it, I got it, I got it!

I didn't know if refresh worked for this but I refreshed for 15 minutes. Nothing. Walked away for 20 minutes and told myself I'd try just one more time.

7 am popped up and I clicked it so fast, then held my breath until I got all the way through to the confirmation screen.

This will be my second Hollywood Studios day. That means on my first one I can RD TOT instead of SDD.

Now I have to decide if I'm crazy enough to do AK After Hours the same night that I do EMM.

We went Monday, 6/15. Overall, I’m glad we did it.

If you can enjoy it without character meets, you will likely experience greater value from it.
Since my children are different ages and have different interests, my husband and I divided up and had two different experiences.
We arrived earlier than anticipated, so we had a light breakfast of fruit, pastry, and juice when we arrived.
We ate again after 9:40, and we got the heavy stuff that time.

Dh & dd (age 9):
SDD x 2
ASwirlSaucers x 6 (she really liked that one)
TSMM x 2
No character meets.

Myself and ds (age 4):
SDD x 1
Jessie, waited once while she went on break
Woody & BoPeep, waited twice while they went on break
ASwirlSaucers x 2
TSMM x1 (We rode an additional time with the rope drop crowd, waiting about 10 minutes in the stand-by line.)

Ds and I probably spent about 75% of the EMM time on characters. I would have left the line, but all he has been taking about for the last few days was meeting Woody and Jessie. It was important to him, so we waited.

Dh said they could have gotten on SDD more, but dd liked the alien saucers so much she just kept getting on over and over.

If I had it to do over again, I would get in line for the characters first, then ride the rides. I think it would have let the lines for SDD go down, and it would have allowed us to get ahead in the character lines. (We were toward the front-middle of the SDD pack when they let us back.)

Breakfast was good. I liked the cronut best, although the shrimp and grits weren’t bad either. Dh had the chiquiles, and he said they were good. He also liked the chicken and cronut and liked both.
DD ate the chicken, sweet potato barrels, and fruit loops. Ds ate fruit loops and fruit.
Ds and I arrived at the latter breakfast at about 9:40. There was nowhere to sit. I had to walk around with my tray for four and manage him. We finally got a table.
During this time, dh and dd rope dropped Rockin Rollercoaster, then did their fast pass to Tower of Terror. They arrived at breakfast after 10. They had stopped serving and had most of the continental breakfast bars put away at that point.

It was more crowded than I expected. I think Disney oversold the event, and there are things I think they could do better.
Dh’s only complaint was that breakfast was served at too great a distance from the event.

I think character interaction should take place indoors. If I’m sweating at 8:30 while wearing a dry-fit shirt and shorts, I don’t know how they manage in head-to-toe heavy costumes, even with ample breaks. It would also permit for a quicker switch-out. (I think this should be everywhere, not just Toy Story Land.)

I also think they built TSL rather small for the volume of people that would flock to it.

They missed opportunities for a larger Andy’s Lunchbox and a Pizza Planet restaurant. One could be a TS, and the other QS. A Sunnyside snack cart might also be a nice addition if there were more room.

Overall, I’m glad we went. We aren’t quick-moving, game-on people with the parks, so we wouldn’t have been able to ride all three rides otherwise.

Just called about half an hour ago to double check but at the moment, the first four dates in August are sold out. We’re going to keep checking, though.

What time should I get to HS if we are planning on going at a relaxed pace (me, DH, DS2, DD12, and DN10)? I would like to ride each ride once or twice. No character meets. My son is tall enough for SDD, so no rider swap.

I am trying to avoid getting everyone up earlier than necessary. We will be staying at AKL. I’m still deciding whether we will take the bus or an Uber so any advice on that would be appreciated as well.

ETA - we are going August 28th

In case it helps someone else, I will answer my own question:

Anyone attending EMM Toy Story Land between now and July 17th? I need a scout. PLEASE!!

Need to know if DHS guest relations ticket booth is open when EMM begins. I purchased EMM tix for July 17th for DD (13) and myself, but I need to purchase my DD's "$89 AP friend" ticket that morning so she will have park access for the day. Says we can't buy the "AP friend" tix til day of. Need to know if I can buy her park ticket when we arrive for TSL EMM.

Please help!

July 17th EMM

Yes, guest services/ticket sales is open before EMM. We arrived at 6:36 am, and someone was already at the guest services nook to the left of entrance. She was able to do the transaction for my DD’s $89 AP ‘day of purchase’ friend ticket and also “magically” linked it to my MDE account so I didn’t have to. Was able to make fastpasses right away. Guest services CM had to go through 4 plastic ticket cards before finding one to register for her, though.

By this time, those gathered at entrance were already allowed inside DHS. So we got our wrist bands, and they definitely direct you to breakfast at Backlot. We sidled that way, saw others leaving breakfast and decided to skip Backlot and follow them...we were allowed to gather outside SWGE sign/TSL entrance area. We were among first as most others went to the breakfast.

I knew to stay right for SDD. This is very important if it is your first ride. We were on 2nd train....would have been on first train but my dd got stuck behind someone as we entered queue under the shade umbrellas so I allowed several in front of me to get back together with my dd. I forgot to give dd heads up about walking with purpose.

SDD ride photo 7:37
Bo Peep/ Woody m&g 7:47 (only 3-4 families in front of us....much longer wait for them after we got off first of our two TSMM rides....was glad we did this early! Note: exiting SDD ride, I asked CM where woody/bo peep meet. She told me, but then said they don’t normally come out until 8:30/9:00....which is, of course, inaccurate for EMM)
TSMM 2x
SDD 3x (8:18am in line for 1st of these 3 rides, and queue was about 20 or so minutes. Second ride, queue was about 10 min, last ride was through FPP line at 8:55. Ride photo 9:02).

So total count SDD 4x, TSMM 2x, Bo Peep/ Woody m&g

As we exited, the masses were lining up, and SDD line extended way past TSL entrance into the rest of DHS. Amazing!

Breakfast at Backlot was good. We both had the kids eggs/ sweet potato tots. Pastries were my favorite part, and I am more of a morning protein person rather than pastries.

It was completely worth it for the two of us. We had only one day at WDW with specific goals. This event helped us accomplish them! It was a treat to have my teen willing to meet characters...and I looooove SDD. This allowed us time to hit MK and AK and get all of our must do’s (including FoP) accomplished during our limited time.

I would encourage anyone, especially smaller parties with a limited number of park days, to participate in this event if able.

What time should I get to HS if we are planning on going at a relaxed pace (me, DH, DS2, DD12, and DN10)? I would like to ride each ride once or twice. No character meets. My son is tall enough for SDD, so no rider swap.

I am trying to avoid getting everyone up earlier than necessary. We will be staying at AKL. I’m still deciding whether we will take the bus or an Uber so any advice on that would be appreciated as well.

ETA - we are going August 28th

I would Uber/Minnie van (car seat options with Uber???). It is hard for me to consider relaxed pace because it is a paid event where we tried to maximize as much as possible, but...

Do you plan to stop for “first breakfast” then return after 9am for full 2nd breakfast? Or just go after 9 for one breakfast stop?

If want pastries /coffee first breakfast, I would arrive 7am at DHS entrance gate, not parking at 7am. Grab quick eats...walk and Be at entrance to TSL by 7:30 or very shortly thereafter when they let everyone in....you will be at back of pack.

If no breakfast, you can arrive at DHS entrance 7:10/7:15 (have to check in, get wristband for each of you, then scan for park entrance. Head straight to TSL, do not go toward backlot express where they will likely direct you (just ask to skip b’fast and to be directed to TSL).

With relaxed pace and no character meets, do NOT do SDD first. Hit TSMM and AS2 as many times as you can (budget 15-18 min for each TSMM to gauge your time). Not sure how much time to budget for AS2 since we didn’t do that ride at all. If you only care about 1-2 rides on SDD, I would wait until 8:38 to queue up for SDD. If it is like my day, that will get you two rides before masses arrive.

We don’t plan on doing the breakfast until around 9:30-9:45, has anyone else done this? Is the breakfast now at Backlot?

Our goal is ToT right at 9am and ST after that then breakfast. We will be there on August 19th, hoping for low crowds at HS that morning.

DD19 and I are going on August 7. Looks like it is sold out too :(. DD wants to meet Woody & BoPeep and also Jessie. For those that have gone recently, did you notice when the characters came out? Don't really want to waste time waiting for characters first thing if it is possible to get on a ride then meet characters then go on rides again. Toy Story Land opened after our last trip so have not been able to ride SDD or Aliens. We are hoping to ride TSM x1 (have a fast pass for later too), Aliens x 1, Characters and SDD x???. Any thoughts on best way to attack this?

DD19 and I are going on August 7. Looks like it is sold out too :(. DD wants to meet Woody & BoPeep and also Jessie. For those that have gone recently, did you notice when the characters came out? Don't really want to waste time waiting for characters first thing if it is possible to get on a ride then meet characters then go on rides again. Toy Story Land opened after our last trip so have not been able to ride SDD or Aliens. We are hoping to ride TSM x1 (have a fast pass for later too), Aliens x 1, Characters and SDD x???. Any thoughts on best way to attack this?
Depends on when they let you in. Characters come out at 7:30. get in line then, otherwise the waits will increase the longer you take to get in line.

We’ll be going on Aug 28th and just had a few questions about transportation. We’re staying at the GF and I’m thinking the best way to get to HS at that time is a Minnie Van. Do they have car seats? I have a 3 year old with me. How do we get one? The app? A phone number somewhere? We have been to Disney many times, but have never had a need for one and don’t have too much info on them.

We’ll be going on Aug 28th and just had a few questions about transportation. We’re staying at the GF and I’m thinking the best way to get to HS at that time is a Minnie Van. Do they have car seats? I have a 3 year old with me. How do we get one? The app? A phone number somewhere? We have been to Disney many times, but have never had a need for one and don’t have too much info on them.
I can't answer your Minnie van questions but wanted to say that buses will be running so there's that option, too.

You'd probably get most of these answered over in the transportation forum. My understanding is that, yes, Minnie Vans have car seats, and you order them through the Lyft app.

I would Uber/Minnie van (car seat options with Uber???). It is hard for me to consider relaxed pace because it is a paid event where we tried to maximize as much as possible, but...

Do you plan to stop for “first breakfast” then return after 9am for full 2nd breakfast? Or just go after 9 for one breakfast stop?

If want pastries /coffee first breakfast, I would arrive 7am at DHS entrance gate, not parking at 7am. Grab quick eats...walk and Be at entrance to TSL by 7:30 or very shortly thereafter when they let everyone in....you will be at back of pack.

If no breakfast, you can arrive at DHS entrance 7:10/7:15 (have to check in, get wristband for each of you, then scan for park entrance. Head straight to TSL, do not go toward backlot express where they will likely direct you (just ask to skip b’fast and to be directed to TSL).

With relaxed pace and no character meets, do NOT do SDD first. Hit TSMM and AS2 as many times as you can (budget 15-18 min for each TSMM to gauge your time). Not sure how much time to budget for AS2 since we didn’t do that ride at all. If you only care about 1-2 rides on SDD, I would wait until 8:38 to queue up for SDD. If it is like my day, that will get you two rides before masses arrive.
Thanks! This sounds like great advice.

Most likely we will just eat afterwards. In the off chance I can get my 12 year old out the door by 6:30 we might grab some coffee before 😆

We don’t plan on doing the breakfast until around 9:30-9:45, has anyone else done this? Is the breakfast now at Backlot?

Our goal is ToT right at 9am and ST after that then breakfast. We will be there on August 19th, hoping for low crowds at HS that morning.
As I recall others have reported not being able to do breakfast if you plan to go line up for TOT. You might want to look back on some previous posts or maybe others with more recent experiences will chime in, but I believe people have reported it is difficult to make it to TOT because of where the CMs will stop you along the way and because TOT is running at 1/2 capacity. We were originally planning to try to rope drop TOT after EMM, but have given up on that due to prior reports of TOT taking a long time and people missing breakfast. Anyone with a more recent experience?

Since TOT has been running at half capacity it’s not recommended you RD, some people have missed breakfast. CM make you merge with the RD crowd, they don’t give you an advantage.

Since TOT has been running at half capacity it’s not recommended you RD, some people have missed breakfast. CM make you merge with the RD crowd, they don’t give you an advantage.
Thanks for the info, we ride ToT often so if we can’t this am no biggie. I just know my daughter won’t want to eat until towards the end of the breakfast time.

Looking to October, it seems DHS has EMH 6am to 9am every single day. Will early morning magic not be available?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter