DHS Sorcerer's Hat to be removed

Was the tower ever located anywhere else? It just seems so odd to have the park icon so hidden in the park.

I saw a mention on the rumors board that they were taking the hat out to build a permanent stage. To me the one good part about taking the hat out was thinking that monstrosity of a stage would go. I sure hope it's not true.

Was the tower ever located anywhere else? It just seems so odd to have the park icon so hidden in the park.

I saw a mention on the rumors board that they were taking the hat out to build a permanent stage. To me the one good part about taking the hat out was thinking that monstrosity of a stage would go. I sure hope it's not true.

Didn't the water tower used to be near the edge of the park somewhere? I vaguely remember being able to see it from one of the main roads. Maybe I'm imagining things? :rotfl:

I think WDW inclusion of it on the sweatshirt shows they are once again going to make that the symbol of DHS instead of Mickey's Sorcerer's Hat. Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't it the original symbol before the hat?
yeah, it just sounded like you thought they would put the water tower where the hat is

I think WDW inclusion of it on the sweatshirt shows they are once again going to make that the symbol of DHS instead of Mickey's Sorcerer's Hat. Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't it the original symbol before the hat?

Yes you are correct - I have several shirts/ornaments with the four park icons and indeed the water tower was the icon.

So incredibly happy to see the hat go!!!! Hated it since Day 1- understand why it was there but ugggh!

I do feel for those who liked it because we've all had things taken from us at Disney that we love and that's always a sad thing. :hug:

My countdown highlights how I feel about the hat being removed. If the permanent stage is the replacement, then this is even worse. Nightly fireworks at DHS are a nightmare. It shuts down the entire park aside from ToT and RaRC 2 hours in advance for safety purposes.

My countdown highlights how I feel about the hat being removed. If the permanent stage is the replacement, then this is even worse. Nightly fireworks at DHS are a nightmare. It shuts down the entire park aside from ToT and RaRC 2 hours in advance for safety purposes.

While I agree about the logistics of fireworks at DHS, I really loved the Frozen fireworks presentation over the summer. Loved it so much i made a trip to Guest Services to compliment them on it.

I guess I could keep fighting about this for months, but it doesn't change anything. Stupid execs. I just wonder if the mad and sad feelings we Hat Lovers feel and express today will be loudly repeated on this board when Disney unveils the new Icon that will sit in front of the Mann.

A pity that these amazing shots will never be seen again.

Totally agree !!! Love your photos & I LOVE the hat !!!!
I love the lights, the theming, & the millions of photos over the years that my son & I have taken at DHS in front of it !!!!!

Didn't the water tower used to be near the edge of the park somewhere? I vaguely remember being able to see it from one of the main roads. Maybe I'm imagining things? :rotfl:

The hat is still near the edge of the park and is visible from World Dr. As far as why the Icon was "hidden" in the park, remember originally Disney MGM Studios was 1/2 Theme Park/ 1/2 Working Movie Studio. The water tower (minus the ears) is one of the Iconic structures of the Disney Studios in California so it made sense to make it the Icon of the new theme park.

The original theme of the park was Hollywood BLVD and the Echo Lake area was Themed to the city of Hollywood and the rest of the park was working studio and themed similarly to the studios in California. The original entrance to the "Backstage Studio Tour" attraction a combination of the tram tour and walking tour through the sound stages loaded in the back of what is now Animation Courtyard. Then it was the Disney Studio Entrance. Since in California the water tower is in the studio, it made sense to place it in the studios portion this Studio/Theme park. So, even from the beginning, it has only been readily been visible from the back lot tram tour (and from out side the park).

The hat is still near the edge of the park and is visible from World Dr. As far as why the Icon was "hidden" in the park, remember originally Disney MGM Studios was 1/2 Theme Park/ 1/2 Working Movie Studio. The water tower (minus the ears) is one of the Iconic structures of the Disney Studios in California so it made sense to make it the Icon of the new theme park.

The original theme of the park was Hollywood BLVD and the Echo Lake area was Themed to the city of Hollywood and the rest of the park was working studio and themed similarly to the studios in California. The original entrance to the "Backstage Studio Tour" attraction a combination of the tram tour and walking tour through the sound stages loaded in the back of what is now Animation Courtyard. Then it was the Disney Studio Entrance. Since in California the water tower is in the studio, it made sense to place it in the studios portion this Studio/Theme park. So, even from the beginning, it has only been readily been visible from the back lot tram tour (and from out side the park).

I didn't even know where the water tower was, and it took your description to finally find it on Google Maps. What's interesting to me is that there is so much unused space back there! I've never done the Backlot Tour so I never really looked to that side of the park before. They have a done of space to do a Pixar Land, without even having to touch existing attractions or even space that's currently open to guests. I always assumed that any DHS renovation would be over by Streets of America/LMA, but I can now see the potential in the other side of the park as well.

I wonder if they do a Pixar Land over near Pixar Place, have that open, and then shut down parts of the other side of the park to add some additional Star Wars elements?

If only they were willing to throw as much money into Florida as they're throwing at Shanghai. **sigh**

ETA: To bring this bak to the stage/hat/etc....I wonder if the water tower will be relocated?

I like the hat but won't be sorry to see it go. It seemed out of place where it was and in the way. I always liked the Mickey ears water tower as the symbol of the park anyway.

Apologize to those who like the water tower as the park icon, but I think it's about the most boring, bland thing you could ever think of as a park icon! You see them all over the place in daily life.

Both the water tower, and the Chinese theater just don't carry any sense of WOW to them like the castle, the Epcot ball, or even the massive tree.

The hat truly was a park icon. Like it or hate it, it was impactful. A water tower? snooze.....:coffee:zzz

Dan

Apologize to those who like the water tower as the park icon, but I think it's about the most boring, bland thing you could ever think of as a park icon! You see them all over the place in daily life. Both the water tower, and the Chinese theater just don't carry any sense of WOW to them like the castle, the Epcot ball, or even the massive tree. The hat truly was a park icon. Like it or hate it, it was impactful. A water tower? snooze.....:coffee:zzz Dan
I have to say this is exactly what I've been thinking--a gorgeous castle, a massive tree made up of animal sculptures, the striking structure of SE....and a water tower. I can see using the theater as the icon, but a water tower just seems so....meh.

I'm not a big fan of info found on Wikipedia, but here's a good explanation of why the water tower icon. In relation to a Hollywood studio it makes perfect sense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earful_Tower

FTR I always liked the Earful Tower, tolerated the obstructed theater view with the hat, and will be happy when it's gone. It would be nice if it was repurposed somewhere else, but if I had to guess I think it will just be broken up and tossed out with all the things from Mickey's ToonTown .... I still wish I could have gotten Pluto's dog house somehow.

I remember being at Epcot and seeing the Earful Tower prior to the opening and going home, hurrying up and rebooking. I have a soft spot for that tower.

While I agree about the logistics of fireworks at DHS, I really loved the Frozen fireworks presentation over the summer. Loved it so much i made a trip to Guest Services to compliment them on it.

I really loved the Frozen fireworks, too (and made it a point to let guest relations know it). Fabulous music, great show -- we ended up at DHS a couple of extra times that week to squeeze in more viewings.

Wow, I have to say that I am stunned by the number of people that are upset about the BAH finally going away... seriously.

It's ok ya'll really - Disney has lots of other pin stations you can get your picture taken in front of.

Wow, I have to say that I am stunned by the number of people that are upset about the BAH finally going away... seriously.

It's ok ya'll really - Disney has lots of other pin stations you can get your picture taken in front of.

Aside from the Epcot Pin Station (which was also moved) this was one of the best Park locations at WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter