Destash 2021 Don't Fear to Clear

Now that the weather is getting better we are back in clean out mode. I also decided that for the summer I am only going to work Saturday morning freeing up the rest of the weekend for clean out and family fun.

DH agreed to sell his old charcoal smoker. Sold quickly for $140. We bought a new sectional and trashed our old couch. DD and I pulled out a dumpster bag that we bought several months ago and put the couch and a bunch of miscellaneous items in it. It was picked up last Thursday. Today DH donated a bunch of old bottles and cans and some other items to the Boy Scouts and another 6 bags of clothing and miscellaneous items to the Rescue Mission.

DH has finally gotten onboard. He now realizes that ideally he would like to be a snowbird. But agrees that we need to get rid of a lot of stuff.

Another slow month is getting rid of stuff. Hoping that July will be much better, thinking of a yard sale to get me motivated in getting rid of more stuff!

dull drill set of hole saws (kit) - trashed
1 broken under cabinet CD player - trashed
1 printer cable - chewed up by dog

1 book - sold ebay
2 Lego ball and casters - sold ebay
4 cardboard boxes - used to ship ebay items
4 battery chargers - sold ebay
2 rechargeable batteries - sold ebay
1 lego remote - sold ebay

3 calculators (standard four function) - donated
2 inflatable beverage containers - donated
1 pair of sneakers - donated

1 Cricut machine - gave to DIL (she wanted one)

476 items of 500 goal or 95.2% of goal

I gave back a stroller my niece gave me. Her parents bought a cottage on a Lake and they are going to rent it out. I told them to take the stroller back for renters. Gave the baby swing to my sister, her son and DIL are having a baby in Sept.
Made 4 baby blankets for my twin grandsons for Day care.

I finally got to my basement I'd been avoiding (thank you rainy day) I ended up with 4 large boxes and 4 garbage bags full of items to donate. Included collectibles, games my kids used to play,and unused household stuff. And a pile for the garbage bin also. Now, I need to try and convince DH (never throws anything out) to work with me on the garage,which is really just a giant storage area of stuff for years now. (not my stuff) I'd like to be able to walk into it again at least,and use it as a workroom for projects. (the hazards of marrying a complete opposite lol,I don't touch his things when I'm destashing)

Made some progress today because I scheduled a pickup tomorrow.
27 clothing items
16 books
1 dvd
1 new exercise item from ds
1 new curtain valance

Completely forgot about my June update, but it was bad. July was better. Altogether I had 140 things for June and July for a total for the year of 575/1000. For June and July we worked mainly in the garage, the attic and under the bathroom sinks.

House looks pretty good. I doubt I'll reach my goal but that's ok. This week I cleared out a bunch of old electronics boxes. We had boxes for electronics we don't even own anymore. I ended up with a whole carload of styrofoam to take to the recycler.

So far this year I've been really good about not buying more stuff. Most of the things I have purchased this year were replacement items.

Wow..... you all are so disciplined,counting each item destashed! I wouldn't know where to start,counting wise :rotfl2:

My counting is pretty loose. For example, we just got a new desk and we cleaned out the 6 desk drawers so I just counted that as 6. I didn't care to count all the little things we got rid of from every drawer. I do keep a list on my phone for things I throw out during the month. It is a silly thing to do but I find it helps keep me motovated.

Last edited:
July has been a good month for getting rid if a bunch of stuff!

3 lego struts - sold ebay
4 lego cables - sold ebay
1 bag of lego treads x30 - sold ebay
1 bag of misc lego beams - sold ebay
4 manilla envelope - used to ship ebay item

18 pair of socks - donated
2 shorts - donated
1 fleece - donted
4 pair of pants - donated
8 t-shirts - donated
1 glass coaster set - donated
2 oven mitts - donated
4 cloth pot holder - donated
7 dish towels - donated
20 wash clothes - donated
1 pair of over glasses safety glasses - given to MIL
2 partial rolls of 3D filament - sent to DS

2 curtains - installed
1 key hook- installed
1 tube of caulking - used up
1 sample package of garbage bag - used up
1 pkg of price stickers - used up to price yard sale stuff
5 computer cable cords - sold yard sale
16 screwdrivers - sold yard sale
2 adjustable pliers - sold yard sale
3 pair of pliers - sold yard sale
12 pair safety glasses - sold yard sale
8 DVD’s - sold yard sale
19 books - sold yard sale
1 lead cord - sold yard sale
6 assorted packages of screws/nuts/hardware - sold yard sale
5 plastic shelf storage bins - sold yard sale
1 container of wooden blocks - sold yard sale
1 container of ping pong balls - sold yard sale
1 box of locking pins - sold yard sale

3 cordless phones and charging base (no longer work) - recycled
1 Dish Network receiver (they did not want it back) - recycled
1 grocery bag of assorted phone/computer cords - recycled
1 broked wifi router - recycled
3 CFL bulbs - recycled
1 rechargeable battery - recycled
20 ink cartridges - recycled
11 cardboard boxes recycled
3 Gift Cards - used up and recycled
12 magazines - recycled
1 scrapbook - returned to owner

1 tube of dried up caulking - trashed
6 pair underwear - trashed
1 pair of pants - trashed
1 pillow - trashed
1 ripped cooler backpack - trashed
2 dead sharpie - trashed
1 dead pen - trashed
1 3 ring binder - trashed
2 dead batteries - trashed
1 charging cord (frayed) - trashed
1 pair of sneakers - trashed
2 frayed/broken leadcords - trashed
2 pair of socks - trashed

714 items of 500 goal or 142.8% of goal

I watched horders for the first time this week...

Today I took out a bunch of paperwork from one area, will recycle must of it. Found a Few food items were expired. Found M and Ms from 2018 in the candy area. DH stopped eating them- guess a few years ago ;)

Moved on to the laundry room. Pair of shoes-out. Old Xmas cards -out. Drug book from 1995 - out. Grad decoration -to the basement. Will use again for next years master grad. Restaurant plastic containers and more -out. Stack of taste of home magazines-recycle. Rug out. Remember when purel did 3 in one sheets?- out. 1 quart paint - recycle.

As I put stuff back where it went - I challanged myself to get rid of 10 things from under my side of the bathroom sink. And I did a quick clean of my top drawer in the bathroom.

last weekend I sorted out from my closest a small bag of clothes to donate. I finally let go of several new pantyhose! I took down the Valances. And left up the curtains - To update the room. Out went the blanket rack. I prob had 8 blankets on it. I found a jewelry box with 1990s ear rings and bracelets. All of it gone. Down 4 pictures - up 2 others.

Moving on to empty the car for DD to take back to SC. I’m going get some stuff out of the garage while I’m out there.

1 fleece - donted

the only fleece that has ever made it out of our home is very good condition/outgrown (donated) or totally destroyed (tossed). otherwise they get cut up into dust rags-the are the best dust and pet hair magnets. my kids occasionally glance at my neatly folded pile of dust rags and reminisce over the pieces of their decades past childhood lounging pants :rotfl:

I watched horders for the first time this week...

Today I took out a bunch of paperwork from one area, will recycle must of it

it's impactful for sure.

on the old paperwork, i will suggest that anything that is evidence of coverage for healthcare for a past plan be at least scanned and retained electronically. dh used to shake his head over my retaining over a decade's worth of these until we had an issue come up with our medicare where we had to prove we met a certain coverage criteria for prior years of our lives, and a call to the insurance company who covered us throughout that entire period of time found that every time they had tweaked the plan it had created a new plan so they weren't able to provide much beyond a year prior. that saved documentation saved us a few thousand a year in continuing insurance costs.

I scheduled another pick up for tomorrow. They always ask for donations.
15 clothing items from middle ds room. He came to visit and went through stuff.
3 books. My contribution.
1 pair of ds sneakers - trashed
Everything out is a step in the right direction.

Dropped off 15 bags of stuff to Goodwill. Part of my problem is pickup is not yet available for
Salvation army. I hate dropping stuff off. If you don't get there in the morning chances are they are
already full! I want to get rid of at least 1 or 2 bags a week. Life seems simpler when there is less
"stuff".

I was able to drop off dozens of pairs of shoes at Goodwill, many still in boxes and never worn. Also clothing, kitchenware, and some electronics plus several old wall phones. Don't know why it was all still here.

Also a cartridge for a printer that I probably could have received a store credit for, but chances are excellent it would still be in the house for many more years.

A box full of electronics including a gaming graphics card that could have sold as it was upgraded with a flashier one for gaming. After donating it, DD let me know that these are currently in short supply, but 'she' already has an extra one.

Also, some electrical items, 2 lamps, and several dozen clothing items with tags.

I'm always reading this thread, getting inspired but never posting.
Hoping that posting will make me keep destashing!

August was a great month moving stuff out. Getting ready to instal new flooring for entire upsatiars, so needed to start sorting through a bunch of stuff in closets and under beds. Books were the big winner in decluttering! Although a lot of the stuff that left was stuff that couold not be "seen" it still feels great as it allowed me to put a few items that are sitting around to be put in an appropriate place for future use!

2 DVD’s - donated
1 action figure - donated
629 books - donated
1 pair of shoes - donated
4 shirts - donated
1 digital picture frame - donated

6 cloth storage cubes - gave to DIL
1 partial box of wood flooring (left over from bathroom) - gave to DS for craft project

1 cordless screwdriver w/ 16 bits - sold facebook
1 small shop vac - sold facebook
1 mini fridge - sold facebook
2 lego motors - sold ebay
1 Lego computer brick - sold ebay
7 lego touch sensors - sold ebay
1 lego motor - sold ebay
1 lego battery and charger - sold ebay
2 lego ball and casters - sold ebay
3 DVD sets - sold ebay
2 DVD sets - sold ebay
12 books - sold ebay
7 cardboard boxes - used for shipping
1 roll of packing tape - used up for shipping ebay items

1 laptop - recycled
3 phone charging cables - recycled
1 frayed charging cable - recycled
1 misc computer cable - recycled
1 old science project - recycled/trashed
3 cardboard boxes - recycled
8 shirts - recycled

3 pair of socks - trashed
1 broken picture frame - trashed

1 scrap piece of OSB - used up
1 partial gallon of primer - used up
1 partial can of paint - used up
2 paint roller - used up
2 disposable paint brush - used up
4 paint tray liners - used up
1 sanding block - used up
3 pieces of trim work - installed in kitchen
1 Bathroom door hardware kit - installed
1 roll of painters plastic - used up
1 16x20 frame - print put in frame and hung up
2 8x10 framed prints - hung up

2 boxes of misc supplies - back to school

1440 items of 500 goal or 288% of goal

Had a week of cooler weather so I went through more things and just dropped off 7 boxes/bags
of stuff. Now it is hot again but I promised myself couple bags of week to donate and if trash bin is not
full I didn't do my job lol. I'm literally starting in August to get ready for Halloween Thanksgiving and
Christmas get togethers. My new rule..Anything bought from Amazon (or whatever store) that same
amount has to leave the house.

Being picked up tomorrow
2 bags of clothing (most from ds1 who came for a visit and he looked in his closet) 24 items
Pair of baseball cleats
2 books
I would have done more but I am having some serious painful dental issues

Wow! You all are doing great this month.

I'm at 93 this month for a total of 668/1000. I was impressed with myself for getting my husband to part with 55 books until I saw ComicGuy's book de-stash. Impressive! Most of the stuff I got rid of this month was also hiding in closets and under beds. The big thing I got rid of was a kid's easel that I've been tripping over for years.

This month we broke alot of weird things in duplicate... 2 ball caps? 2 pencil pouches? 2 string backpacks? But most we were able to replace with stuff we already had around the house. We also had enough school supplies unused from last year that I only had to buy 6 school supplies this year for both kids.
:dancer::dancer::dancer:

For anyone else that has trouble decluttering..listening to decluttering podcasts helps me a lot.
I sometimes listen while im sorting or doing housework. It can help kick me in gear. 2020 really put
me Wayyyyy behind the 8 ball. With everyone home seems we collected triple the amount of stuff.

It will take me a while to climb out of this hole but I'm determined to do it.

September was a pretty decent month on the decluttering front. Slowly got rid of some more items from the house! Nothing big but lots of small stuff, it does add all up eventually!

12 lego building frames - sold ebay
20 lego beams - sold ebay
1 lego servo motor - sold ebay
2 lego ball and caster - sold ebay
4 lego connector cables - sold ebay
1 lego color sensor - sold ebay
1 DVD set - sold ebay
1 DVD set - sold ebay
2 manilla envelope - used to ship ebay item
4 cardboard box - used for shipping ebay item

1 partial gallon of paint - used up
1 gallon of paint - used up
2 tubes of caulking - used up
1 roll of painters tape - used up
2 partial gallons of drip up paint - disposed of
2 rolls of painters plastic - used up
2 paint roller - used up
2 paint tray insert - used up

9 picture frames - used for disney project
2 binders of teaching material - returned to my classroom
2 partial roles of 3D filament - gave to DS

1 container of hand sanitizer - donated
1 container of disinfectant wipes - donated
1 small dog harness - donated
3 stuffed animals - donated
1 event polo shirt - donated
1 chip platter - donated

1 dead battery - trashed
4 pair of socks - trashed
1broken pair of scissors - trashed

1527 items of 500 goal or 305.4% of goal

September was not great. I got rid of 39 things bringing my total to 727/1000.
The last few weeks I did not get much done. My 3 bags a week goal turned into 3 bags
for 3 weeks..lol I will say I sold some stuff on offerup I was going to donate. A desk.
Extra halloween decor and costumes. Pink luggage set. Made a little over 200 so im
happy. I'm now going to group SOME things together and put ad out. If no interest
after a few days then I will donate. I have got to get more stuff out.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter