Destash 2018 Bust the Dust

comicguy

DIS Veteran
It is time to start this years destashing.

Last year I did not quit get to 50% of my goal (2017 items) but that is okay. Any amount that leaves the house is a good thing!!

Anyway, I am going to try again and remove 2018 items that are no longer wanted/needed from the house!!

Just came upstairs from the basement.
When we moved. I had 15 bins full of Christmas Decorations, lights, wrapping paper etc.
I moved my St. NIcholas Square Village to a large TV Armoire and it fit in their a lot nicer than bins.
I am going to try and sell the whole thing for $100 at a Rummage Sale this summer.
I have a bunch of decorations to a family that did not have anything.
Today I threw out at least 10 ornaments with no significant step.
2018-10=2008.

Garbage-
Ceramic Snowman
Glass vase
Ornament cardboard
Old wrapping paper
Broken Merry Christmas Ceramic letters
Wreath made out of ornaments on a hanger.

2008-6=2002

I forgot. I am down to: 3 bins, 3 ornament holder bins, one tree, one tree stand and a wreath bin.

I saw the 2017 recently (and didn't participate) and was hoping there'd be another! I'm in. As much as DH doesn't like it, I like to purge.

Down 48 things today
Garbage items:
Socks (14 pair)
Underwear (7)
Large bag of misc garbage from basement
Goodwill:
Artificial Christmas tree
New Bath & Body Works hand soaps (3)
Bag of Christmas village ice cubes
Christmas table runner
Christmas ornaments (16)
Wreath hook
Pair outdoor wireless speakers
Framed picture

1,970 more to go! DH things I'm crazy and we'd never get rid of 2,018 things in a year. I think I made a good dent today. Now, if I would have just counted the 3 runs to Goodwill last week I'd really have a good start.

Any amount that leaves the house is a good thing!!

Need some advice on the unofficial rules of destashing..... I will likely be replacing some pots and pans due to wearing out. If I bring home a new pot but toss an old pot in the garbage, that basically washes against each other and doesn't count for an item? Or, does it count because I could have technically still kept the old pot in my cupboard taking up space? LOL Thanks!!!!! I haven't "played" before and I don't want to get my number higher then it possibly should be.

In again. Not counting items though. Just getting rid of stuff before we move cross country in June.
Today went through my closet and dresser

Donating:

2 strands of Christmas lights
3 shirts
Travel neck pillow
Dozen plastic hangers
Pajamas
2 books
4 sets of twin sheets

Trash:
Misc wrapping paper pieces
4 pairs of socks
3 plastic serving trays
Random Wdw/dL dvd from old photopasses

I also do not "count" items as I don't see the point in it. Today, I took everything out the master bedroom closet and filled two 116 qt tubs of DH clothes. I only put back into the closet what fit us and what I think we will wear. It was a lot of clothes as I neatly folded them in the tub. He says he is going to lose weight which is great. But our closet was so full that it is hard to find the clothes that do fit.

So the tubs are heading to the storage unit tomorrow. I told DH that if he still can not fit in the clothes by our next community sale in the spring, we will put them out at the yard sale. I have a large box that I threw in some of my clothes I no longer want. I am going to hit the draws first then donate.

I feel like I got rid of a ton of things in 2017. I am trying the #KonMari (Marie Kondo) method but I just can't do the whole house at one time, so I take it in stages. This is probably round four. I plan to go through each room again in 2018. The garage is going to be the challenge. We got a storage unit and put a lot of stuff we felt we wanted to keep in the storage unit. But I think we can probably get rid of 20% in the storage unit at our next community yard sale.

I'm in again. We are planning a big move in 2019 and the more I get ready now, the easier it will be. The everyday stuff is much more manageable after doing this challenge the last few years. Now I want to pare down to the stuff I really love and want to keep and move.

As of now, I've kept some things just because they fit in the space and I might want them. Now it's time to get ruthless. I love the beginning of the new year and enjoy the feeling of clearing things out in the new year!

I convinced my dh to move our bed, so we are sleeping towards the North. So we deep cleaned the whole room. Sadly one of my Disney Snow Globes fell and broke. It was gross, we actually shampooed the carpeting.

2 more items went today.

1 snow globe
1 old towel.

2002-2=2000

I am in again! I fell short last year but I still have lots to get rid of. I just feel like we have too much stuff. Trying to downsize the amount of items we own so there is less upkeep, dusting, clutter... It is still a challenge as it was easy to get rid of the junk, out of style or size, duplicates... I still have 2 extra running cars in my driveway for petes sake! My biggest downfall is the sentimental items of course but I did make progress last year on some of them.
I told the family I am going through each Christmas bin before it gets put away this year. Again, we keep getting more and not getting rid of the old.

I convinced my dh to move our bed, so we are sleeping towards the North. So we deep cleaned the whole room. Sadly one of my Disney Snow Globes fell and broke. It was gross, we actually shampooed the carpeting.

2 more items went today.

1 snow globe
1 old towel.

2002-2=2000

Why North?

cut and paste:
Can we sleep facing north?
According to Vastu principles, the human body acts as a magnet with the head as its North Pole. If the head points north while sleeping, the North Poles of the body and Earth will repel each other, affecting the blood circulation and causing disturbed sleep and stress. South, East & West are acceptable.

I'm in. I started 2017 out strong and then fell off as the year progressed. I would like to reduce clutter to make my house more manageable and easier to clean.

Hi all - I have made a start -

Bedroom

Rubbish:
  • Shopping bags, wrapping paper etc. from xmas presents that have been piled in the corner waiting for me to pull important receipts - 10 items
  • Un-needed correspondence laying around – 10 sheets paper
Goodwill:
  • Clothing – approx. 10 items
Office

Rubbish:
  • Old bank statements, correspondence – 100 sheets paper
  • Miscelaneous clutter – 10 items
Goodwill:

Big box of unwanted coat hangers – 60 items

Christmas Decorations

Rubbish:
  • Christmas Lights – 4 strings
Goodwill:
  • Christmas baubles/tree decorations – 30
Shed

Rubbish:
  • Old unwanted lamp stand – in trailer ready for dump – it really has seen better days
  • Old cooler bag on wheels – in trailer ready for dump
  • Old plastic trolley frame – in trailer ready for dump

Goodwill:
  • Unwanted storage box – good will
  • Big box of more unwanted coat hangers – 60 items – good will

2018 – 298 = 1720

Not bad for one day – I have other things (kids furniture/doll house) I need to photograph and put online for sale.

Why North?

cut and paste:
Can we sleep facing north?
According to Vastu principles, the human body acts as a magnet with the head as its North Pole. If the head points north while sleeping, the North Poles of the body and Earth will repel each other, affecting the blood circulation and causing disturbed sleep and stress. South, East & West are acceptable.
Really? When we moved, my DH insisted on pointing our bed south, I have had the worst sleep ever. Could be my age. As of last night, I do feel up side down. Like we are backwards.

I am in again! I fell short last year but I still have lots to get rid of. I just feel like we have too much stuff. Trying to downsize the amount of items we own so there is less upkeep, dusting, clutter... It is still a challenge as it was easy to get rid of the junk, out of style or size, duplicates... I still have 2 extra running cars in my driveway for petes sake! My biggest downfall is the sentimental items of course but I did make progress last year on some of them.
I told the family I am going through each Christmas bin before it gets put away this year. Again, we keep getting more and not getting rid of the old.
I cleaned ever bin out, then organized. It did help this year that I gave away decorations to a family that had nothing. Then I tossed out worn out decorations. I bagged up 3 zip lock gallon size bags of ornaments that I am going to sell at my rummage sale. I spent 4 hours in my basement. It really does take time.

Im in.. I want to aim for a large garbage bag a week..... so 52 bags by end of year......plus papers( to go thru) .. have so many to shred or use as fire starter in my wood burning stove...

I cleaned my closet. I wear mostly skirts and dresses (they're so comfortable!) but due to my thrift store habits I have accumulated WAY too many skirts-so many that I couldn't even really see what I owned anymore...so many that I filled 5 of those 8 skirt hangers,double clipped....waaaay too much of a good thing. SO cleaned house- I got rid of over half,and just kept the ones that I wear. Not the ones I liked,the ones I'll wear. It feels good,and I wore a skirt yesterday That I had forgotten I owned! Now on to Dh's closet,he has a similiar issue with plaid checked shirts and 2nd hand shopping...

In this year again. Last week DD brought out box after box of stuff she had outgrown (toys mostly). I looked at the pile and just thinking of trying to sell it on Facebook or Craigslist made my heart sink. So DH and DD loaded up all 12 boxes into the car and donated it. I felt so light when I came home and everything was gone. The little bit of extra $ would be nice, but it's sooo stressful selling sometimes.

Right now we're watching my 14 month old niece so I don't know how productive I'll be this week. She is exhausting, lol. It's also below freezing outside which is highly unusual for this part of the South, so I'm not really feeling up to cleaning up the garage. We're slowly getting the house ready to put on the market so I definitely need to concentrate on the more going out than coming in.

Not a counting person, but I'm in. I've KM'd the 2 main floors, but it is time to tackle the basement which is a wasteland of teaching supplies and the (grown) kids', so it will take a while to see what they want, and what I can get rid of. My goal will be an extra bag to the trash and/or thrift store each week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!