Destash 2017 The Year to Clear

Last night, I went through my closet and bathroom again and a downstairs cabinet that has extra supplies. Here is what has been added to the donate pile -

-14 sweaters and shirts
-2 unopened bottles of BBW lotion
-1 purse
-2 Christmas candlesticks that don't bring me joy
-pile of notebooks
-threw out some old crafts and dried up markers

Today I cleaned out my canned food shelf. I went to throw away one of DHs old shirts that was stained but could not find its twin so it is being packed away. He has enough shirts to last a month but knows all of them. I do not think I have 10 t shirts that are not for work

Taking 13 items of old clothing over the weekend to our local h&m store! If anyone is looking to get rid of old fabrics of any sort (everything from curtains to mismatched socks) h&m will take them and give you a coupon (usually 10-15% but I've seen it as high as 20) we donate clothing to goodwill most of the time but h&m is nice for things that are ripped, stained, socks missing a mate, etc. everything gets recycled or repurposed in some way and we can combine it with a trip to the mall!;)

Today I cleaned out my canned food shelf. I went to throw away one of DHs old shirts that was stained but could not find its twin so it is being packed away. He has enough shirts to last a month but knows all of them. I do not think I have 10 t shirts that are not for work

My daughter's preschool had a food drive and I tried to go through my pantry for stuff we won't eat (food purchased pre-allergy diagnosis). Sadly, everything I grabbed was expired. Oops! We cleared out a lot, but I had less to donate.

I just did some massive de-cluttering this fall. I too am on the baby wagon (38.5 weeks and counting, little guy is comfy so we are going to try to walk him out this weekend lol). The room that is the nursery had become a storage room when my roommate lived here and stayed that way when my husband moved in so I had an entire rooms worth of items to purge or find a new home for. This December we got rid of:

-several boxes of kitchen items that were replaced with my shower items or were duplicates left behind by roommate. a bunch of tupper ware that was missing its mate.
- a set of living room end tables and coffee table that had been replaced with other furniture
- tossed a bag of old linens and bed sheets
- as I cleaned out I passed a bunch of random items like a nice lamp and unused curtains back to my mother (she gave me a desk, lamp, and coffee table this year so it was kinda funny that as we both de-cluttered we found things the other needed)
- I sent in two bags of clothes to Thred Up at the end of summer and ended up donating about 4 bags to the local thrift store.
- several board games that we never use including an original cranium board game that I never used but have toted around for like the last decade for some bizarre reason (interesting topic for a book, the random crap we move with us for no apparent reason)
- an extra vacuum that had a damaged cord
- two broken suitcases that my husband had used to move and never actually tossed once emptied.
- piles of magazines I read while I was home on disability in the last few weeks

I also have been working on using up items that were hanging around including:
- xmas gift items I collected over the year, I made sure that I used them to make gift baskets or sets so I didn't have to hold onto them any longer.
- stationary. A Hallmark near me went out of business last January which resulted in a stockpile, so I ensured that every time I needed a card I pulled from that stash, probably only needed to buy 2-3 cards this past year. I also just used up a bunch of random thank you cards for my baby shower and even used blank note cards as well, no one will know that they didn't all get the same thank you card so I realized it is silly to keep buying a new set for each event.
- pantry items. I got rid of expired items and anything near expiration was worked into meals in the last two months.
- toiletries. I sorted out some of the samples and travel size items in storage. they are in a bin in the bathroom and I am working my way through them as I would need to travel a lot to use them all up at this rate.

This year we need to tackle my husband's closet and clothes in general. We keep replacing items but haven't weeded out the worn items. We also have one box of books to sort out as we believe we can sell some of them on Amazon. They key is going to not bring in too much stuff this year, especially with the baby.

we're getting some blizzard action up here this weekend so maybe I can get some decluttering done

DH tossed two old belts yesterday and this morning I threw away an old bottle of nail polish that'd been sitting in my medicine cabinet. I really need to remind myself that even if I don't have time, I can still do little things here and there. Our January is pretty free so I'm hoping to tackle the closet one of these weekends coming up!!

One drawer or cabinet at a time...

Taking 13 items of old clothing over the weekend to our local h&m store! If anyone is looking to get rid of old fabrics of any sort (everything from curtains to mismatched socks) h&m will take them and give you a coupon (usually 10-15% but I've seen it as high as 20) we donate clothing to goodwill most of the time but h&m is nice for things that are ripped, stained, socks missing a mate, etc. everything gets recycled or repurposed in some way and we can combine it with a trip to the mall!;)

AWESOME!! I donate wearable clothes to a clothing closet, but we moved a few months ago and I didn't have anywhere to recycle cloth materials.

- piles of magazines I read while I was home on disability in the last few weeks

We're prepping to paint our office right now and I finally rid us of dozens of magazines. Since we moved into this house 4 years ago, I have somehow amassed (without asking for or paying for) 10-15 magazine subscriptions. My name and address is on them along with the subscription end dates they put on the label. They are several years long! I get Parents, Vogue, Vanity Fair, O, Latina (of which I am not so that's extra bizarre), Women's Day, Shape, Women's Health, Glamour and others.

I don't read a single one but wanted to bring them a place that gets money back (my old school had one of those dumpsters). But I never got around to it and they needed to go. The stack was taller than my toddler so they just went in our regular recycling can. Well half of them did. I'm afraid it's going to be too heavy to roll to the curb so the other half go next week!

Updated Jan 8, 2017
Sold to date: 2017
Cake decorating stuff: $15
Hi-tecs (bought for $20 Boxing day- DD outgrew before worn) $35
Baby carrier: $5
DDs old ski clothes $15
Old Snowboard boots $20
Extra pair of ski goggles and DDs old helmet- $25

Total: $115!

Got rid of a bit more today

sent home w/ son's girlfriend:
7 assorted X-Mas gift bags

Donated:
3 pants
2 shirts
1 suit
2 small carpet runners
1 pair of sneakers
1 craftsman tool bag

Trashed:
2 toothbrushes
1 very old toothpaste tube

20 Items today, 51 Items total so far of the 2017

I quickly went through the dining room cabinets today. I found a platter I didn't even remember getting last year. Donating-

-3 decorative plates
-wine bottle coaster
-2 small wooden shelves
-some extra fabric

My original everyday china was a nice gift from MIL. I replaced it all last year (after 18 yrs) but haven't been able to bring myself to donate the set. It was not a set I had much input in picking out so I don't know why I'm struggling to pass it on.

I have spent a good deal of time today cleaning. Threw away 2 pairs of pants and a shirt that were beyond wearing. Also threw away a lot of garbage. I found a few pocket books to sell/donate.

Updated Jan 10, 2017
Sold to date: 2017
Cake decorating stuff: $15
Hi-tecs (bought for $20 Boxing day- DD outgrew before worn) $35
Baby carrier: $5
DDs old ski clothes $15
Old Snowboard boots $20
Extra pair of ski goggles and DDs old helmet- $25
Extra scentsy bars I got in a lot: $20
Some Candles and holders: $20

Total: $155!

Last edited:
Working on the kitchen according to the calendar I shared in a previous post. We got rid of about 5 things in the kitchen. I'm pretty much decluttered in a lot of rooms including the kitchen.

We also sold our old dining table as we got a new set at the end of November. With it, I included 3 of our round table cloths.

Right now, I'm working on selling some of my daughter's clothes and just reorganizing in general. We just moved in August and then had a baby in November and I never quite got this house settled with a good flow.

Once again feeling like I desperately need this group! As usual the holiday times were crazy and I fell off the decluttering wagon for several months.... but I'm ready for a fresh start! Now that the Christmas tree and holiday decor is out of the living areas, it already feels better here.... but I'm going to wait until the kids go back to college.... they have stuff everywhere here!

DD graduates in May and she has SO VERY MUCH stuff here and of course will be bringing the contents of her on-campus studio apartment with her.... I can store that stuff without much difficulty, as I know it will be used again probably within a year, but she desperately needs to go through her middle school/high school wardrobe and make herself some closet space in her room! I cannot imagine where she thinks her college wardrobe is going to fit!

I need to make a specific list of HOW to tackle my mess.... by room or by category or what. Time to make the HARD CHOICES! .............P

My friends at work were discussing purging items from their closet. Well my closet is intimidating me right now BUT yesterday I pulled all my pictures and other scrapbooking items from my organizers and put all my organizers and paper in a pile to be donated. Today I purged 2 1/2 shelves worth of books. My goal is to get rid of my small bookshelf completely. It looks pretty junky now so time to go. It was a good buy at $20 8 years ago...it needs to leave!

My friends offered to come help me go through my closet in the spring and I think I might say yes. I have a definite clothes shopping problem so I need to do this but I have "save it til I need it" mentality with my clothes and shoes. This is not healthy.

I started small but I feel so much better!

My friends at work were discussing purging items from their closet. Well my closet is intimidating me right now BUT yesterday I pulled all my pictures and other scrapbooking items from my organizers and put all my organizers and paper in a pile to be donated. Today I purged 2 1/2 shelves worth of books. My goal is to get rid of my small bookshelf completely. It looks pretty junky now so time to go. It was a good buy at $20 8 years ago...it needs to leave!

My friends offered to come help me go through my closet in the spring and I think I might say yes. I have a definite clothes shopping problem so I need to do this but I have "save it til I need it" mentality with my clothes and shoes. This is not healthy.

I started small but I feel so much better!

Every bit helps. Also it gets you into the purge mentality.

DH has a problem with clothes as well. I am going to pack a bunch away for a while and see what he really needs and wears.

Feels like it's still just lots of little baby steps in the overall big mess of our household, but every little bit helps!

* (OK this first one was a big all day undertaking, not a baby step, but I kind of fell into the job when I had actually planned to go through my "important - save for later" paper pile ...) Went through all the bath and bedding linens, and found a bunch to donate or sell, some old pillows to toss, and organized the rest of the items so they are all contained in the linen closet(s) and not in piles on chairs and in closets.

* Went through the clothes for 2 of my boys to weed out the too-small things they were still grabbing and wearing. Now the too-small things for my youngest can be donated or sold (except for those I somehow can't seem to part with - though there aren't as many now that he's beyond baby sizes).

* Took 2 bags of items, plus a boxed tea set (unused wedding gift from 22 years ago!) to Goodwill.

* Threw out some items and marked others to donate as I put away things into 2 of the Christmas bins.
I have to try to make time to go through all our other Christmas bins. Many of the bins we never even opened this year, so I obviously wouldn't miss many of those things too much. It's just so hard for me to get rid of stuff! (Sigh)

* Organized the box of gift cards, coupons, ads, etc., and purged expired things (and things for places that have gone out of business!)

It's discouraging to see how much there is to do, but at least I am making small forward progress.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter