• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

delete

Coming to a Disney fan website with this question means you will get a lot of similar answers.
Exactly. If you were to ask this question on a finance board people would not be encouraging you to spend money at this time. Especially without knowing things like you have 3+ months of emergency savings and if your job is easy to replace at a similar salary and benefits.

I saw the OP has an interview Monday and I am sending them the best of luck but even if they get a new job quickly it is not always the best impression to take off right away for a vacation even if they will allow it.

Exactly. If you were to ask this question on a finance board people would not be encouraging you to spend money at this time. Especially without knowing things like you have 3+ months of emergency savings and if your job is easy to replace at a similar salary and benefits.

I saw the OP has an interview Monday and I am sending them the best of luck but even if they get a new job quickly it is not always the best impression to take off right away for a vacation even if they will allow it.

If a job wont allow me one day, on a Friday, told in advance, it might not be the kind of place I want to work at (my old job was toxic and some mean girl behavior).

I dont think I am getting 100% "go for it! Get into debt!". I am getting a varied amount of responses, all have merit.

I would go. It's only for 3 days (March 3-5) over a weekend so buy a one day ticket to Epcot and enjoy Disney Springs. Buy a discounted 500 GC from Target or one of the big box stores and use it exclusively for spending. Skip the souvs, enjoy the weather and all the different themed venues.

I don't agree with this. Everyone has given different opinions. Some say go/some say cancel. Not one has said go, spend as much as you can and who cares. I think some really good advice has been given and the op will be able to see both sides and do what's best for her. Only she really can answer that question. I also think had she said she had major debt, no savings, and a job interview seems few and far between that would be a reason to not go. This isn't a regular one week trip. Its a couple of days and part is not refundable. Its not worth losing that amount of money in my opinion. I'm sure the right decision will be made no matter what the choice is.

So sorry to hear about your layoff. If it makes you feel any better, I was laid off WHILE at Disney. I was in line for the Magic Carpets of Aladdin when my manager called! Didn't let it ruin my trip and I had a new job I loved within a couple months. It sounds like you are a responsible person who isn't spending your rent/mortgage money to go to Disney, you just need something to look forward to. I have also, more than once, made a pre-planned vacation a condition of my employment and never had an issue. Agree you don't want to work for someone long term who will give you a problem about something so small. Go and enjoy! And best of luck in your job search!

I think the rational answer is to go, given how much is already paid for.

But I would find this very difficult to actually do or enjoy if I were in OP's situation. I would be constantly worried and second-guessing myself. I wouldn't even be able to buy a Dole Whip if I were in a money bind.

Go! I had a similar situation years ago and skipped out on a planned trip, regretted it so much once I started back to work. May be my inner-Californian speaking but staying a good headspace is so helpful in a job search. It is an emotionally taxing exercise to search and interview and honestly once you start a job you need a vacation from just the job search. Really wishing you all the best!

I dont think I am getting 100% "go for it! Get into debt!". I am getting a varied amount of response

I think the rational answer is to go, given how much is already paid for.

But I would find this very difficult to actually do or enjoy if I were in OP's situation. I would be constantly worried and second-guessing myself. I wouldn't even be able to buy a Dole Whip if I were in a money bind.

But the only thing paid for is a plane ticket back and forth, that likely could get a credit if the Op pleaded her case.

That's it.

That's why this should be canceled - more than 80% of the cost (and possibly more, depending on the plane ticket) is not yet purchased.

I don't agree with this. Everyone has given different opinions. Some say go/some say cancel. Not one has said go, spend as much as you can and who cares. I think some really good advice has been given and the op will be able to see both sides and do what's best for her. Only she really can answer that question. I also think had she said she had major debt, no savings, and a job interview seems few and far between that would be a reason to not go. This isn't a regular one week trip. Its a couple of days and part is not refundable. Its not worth losing that amount of money in my opinion. I'm sure the right decision will be made no matter what the choice is.
Often airlines will give you a credit if you cancel. IMO it would be worth it for the OP to try that first and reschedule the trip for a later date. Flights are only part of the cost- there is still transportation to & from airport, hotel, tickets, and food… that is a lot that hasn’t been paid for yet. I might feel differently if the Op had bought tickets already but at this point there are a lot of costs about to be added on.

OP may also lose out on an interview/offer because she is unavailable while traveling

it's somewhat inappropriate to request time off a month or less into a new job. if you mention it before you have an offer, you may lose the job, and if you mention it after, it may adversely affect your perception at work. it's a different story if the job seeker is already employed and negotiating from strength, but here, it sounds like OP needs to be back to work sooner rather than later.

if the only sunk cost here is 1 RT flight ticket, that has to be a lot less than room+ticket+food+etc - and like others have said, that fare is probably creditable.

If you were in my situation, would you go?
I would, and have. Years ago, my DH got laid off when we had a trip planned and paid for. I'm sure we could have gotten some credit back if we'd pushed, but we decided to go and embrace the family time while we could - since after he got a new job he'd be low man on the totem pole as far as choosing vacation weeks. Everything worked out fine!

I think it's fine to mention there is already a trip planned once an offer is extended, especially since she only needs one day (I am an HR director). As long as it's not expected to be paid time off. I did it when I took my current job and it was for a week, there were no issues.

It should never be an issue when negotiating a new job to mention an already planned and paid for vacation. It's simply an issue of taking the time off unpaid, which you would be doing anyway if you didn't get a job. I have done this at 3 different jobs, and at no point did I get any pushback. As mentioned, if a company isn't okay with that, don't take a job with them, because they will never give you flexibility when you need it.

My husband is interning at a company right now during his transition from active duty military and they have already told him that he can take off as much time as he wants once the 12 week internship ends before he comes back as a full time employee. It's completely up to him. He could take off a month if he wanted. They just said "tell us when you are available to start."

It might be as simple as telling whatever new company "I can start on this date" and make that date after your vacation.

It should never be an issue when negotiating a new job to mention an already planned and paid for vacation. It's simply an issue of taking the time off unpaid, which you would be doing anyway if you didn't get a job. I have done this at 3 different jobs, and at no point did I get any pushback. As mentioned, if a company isn't okay with that, don't take a job with them, because they will never give you flexibility when you need it.

My husband is interning at a company right now during his transition from active duty military and they have already told him that he can take off as much time as he wants once the 12 week internship ends before he comes back as a full time employee. It's completely up to him. He could take off a month if he wanted. They just said "tell us when you are available to start."

It might be as simple as telling whatever new company "I can start on this date" and make that date after your vacation.

It is only 1 vacation day, in the scenario I did go. On a friday, which is one of the slower days (I live in Wash. DC, I do not work in sales so no worries of quotas. Most of the employees at my old job would work from home or not be there on Fridays).

If it was a week, I would definitely not expect anyone to accommodate it. Id be worried if they wouldnt accommodate as its just one day. I agree with you.

It is only 1 vacation day, in the scenario I did go. On a friday, which is one of the slower days (I live in Wash. DC, I do not work in sales so no worries of quotas. Most of the employees at my old job would work from home or not be there on Fridays).

If it was a week, I would definitely not expect anyone to accommodate it. Id be worried if they wouldnt accommodate as its just one day. I agree with you.

Even if it was a week, this type of thing is absolutely a test of how your employer treats its workers. You were laid off. It's not like you got fired and then planned this trip. It's enough to tell the future employer that you have a preexisting engagement that week and you are happy to take it as unpaid time off. If they say no, onto the next one.

OP, Do what feels right to you. It doesn't matter what any of us think. This is your life, your situation, and your decision.

Judging from your posts, you're an intelligent, reasonable person. I have every confidence that you'll make the right decision for you.

And enjoy your new job when you get it, which seems like it will be quite soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter