Declining Magicbands

kes601

DIS Veteran
Curious if this has happened to anybody else recently. We have a 3 part split stay starting in 3 days. I went through the process of declining magicbands for each part of the stay. This morning I got an email saying my magicband order would be waiting at the front desk. Figured it was just a glitch, but low and behold I look at my magicband list and I have an extra gray one now listed at the top. I’m really hoping this isn’t going to happen for each part of the stay.

So, I guess my question is whether or not this has happened to others recently as well.

I’ve ordered and paid for special ones that never came and I’ve received ones that I declined… There’s no rhyme or reason.

Thanks, I guess my other confusion is that I thought Magicbands weren't complimentary anymore.....

They aren't.
Unless you decline them apparently! :laughing:
I think you have a choice , for now. either buy a fancy one, or take one of the old, plain ones. Be warned, they tell you you can use your old ones, so we did, but Mine had to have a new battery so they just gave me a new one, same color. IN May. The free will still exist but as an app on your phone I believe. which does me no good as I don't have a cell phone and refuse to get one.
I have a love hate with those bands anyway, LOL> they open my door, but my ticket doesn't show up, or vice versa, or my DVC info didn't get on it, something every time, so I carry all info printed out, in my purce. I learned the hard way, Disney's web stuff has many a glitch at all times.

I think you have a choice , for now. either buy a fancy one, or take one of the old, plain ones. Be warned, they tell you you can use your old ones, so we did, but Mine had to have a new battery so they just gave me a new one, same color. IN May. The free will still exist but as an app on your phone I believe. which does me no good as I don't have a cell phone and refuse to get one.
I have a love hate with those bands anyway, LOL> they open my door, but my ticket doesn't show up, or vice versa, or my DVC info didn't get on it, something every time, so I carry all info printed out, in my purce. I learned the hard way, Disney's web stuff has many a glitch at all times.
To the best of my knowledge, you should not "NEED" a new battery. There are 2 parts to a MB, a passive, near field communication part (which opens your room door, scans for fast passes and park entry) - this should not need a battery, its like a security badge for an office building, then there is an active part (Battery is needed here) but thats for things like in ride pictures, dead battery should just mean that that part does not work.

We have MagicBand 2's that we purchased elsewhere but I still plan on buying the basic $10 ones from Disney (don't ask :crazy2:) when I book the trip. How easy will it be to have the ones we get from Disney when I book our trip swapped out with the ones I bought already? At least two of them will need to be replaced with the ones we bought.

We did nothing re MB order for last trip April/May. Two grey ones showed up in mailbox. I tossed into a drawer

my GD informed me last night she she once again misplaced her MB. :rolleyes1 & her Harry Potter wand is missing. My bet once again in whatever travel book bag she used last trip

First thot to just link one of those two unused MBs to her account. Nope:headache: already assigned to either the mr or me

JIK ordered a MB online last night via MDE. We are leaving on 7/2. Wonder what the odds are of it arriving in time?

Frustrating we couldn’t use one of those 2unwanted bands. She didn’t even care what color. Just wants to pop out the Mickey to put in a white, color changing Mickey head insert I ordered on Etsy for Apple Watch

too much fussing lol

I think the cutoff date to get free bands was to order them before Dec 31. After that time if you requested them it was $5 and in the past month or two it went up to $10. There are also the premium bands that you've been able to order instead for less than retail.

There was a glitch when they first started charging $5 where people were having the grey ones show up at the resort when they declined. Maybe this is more of that?

We have MagicBand 2's that we purchased elsewhere but I still plan on buying the basic $10 ones from Disney (don't ask :crazy2:) when I book the trip. How easy will it be to have the ones we get from Disney when I book our trip swapped out with the ones I bought already? At least two of them will need to be replaced with the ones we bought.
What do you mean “swapped out” and “replaced”? The ones you purchased elsewhere and the ones you buy from Disney can all be linked to you in MDE and can be used interchangeably (different colors for different clothing, your mood that morning, whatever).

What do you mean “swapped out” and “replaced”? The ones you purchased elsewhere and the ones you buy from Disney can all be linked to you in MDE and can be used interchangeably (different colors for different clothing, your mood that morning, whatever).

That's what I'm asking. I wasn't sure if they could be easily replaced or if they could what is the process but if I can use the app to do it myself then that solves the problem. I bought a Goofy one for me and a Belle one for my wife but she still wants to get the solid color MB's sent to us from disney. I have no idea why. But those are going to come already linked to our account so I was worried that we would have trouble linking the two I've already bought elsewhere to the account.

That's what I'm asking. I wasn't sure if they could be easily replaced or if they could what is the process but if I can use the app to do it myself then that solves the problem. I bought a Goofy one for me and a Belle one for my wife but she still wants to get the solid color MB's sent to us from disney. I have no idea why. But those are going to come already linked to our account so I was worried that we would have trouble linking the two I've already bought elsewhere to the account.

All MB's that are assigned to you can be used so you can just link up the ones you purchased and used them. If you wish to deactivate the solid ones you can. Or not. It isn't a swapping action though - just link and use. Usually. Sometimes the front desk needs to activate it for your room. Sometimes not. That's a mystery.

All MB's that are assigned to you can be used so you can just link up the ones you purchased and used them. If you wish to deactivate the solid ones you can. Or not. It isn't a swapping action though - just link and use. Usually. Sometimes the front desk needs to activate it for your room. Sometimes not. That's a mystery.

That's nice to know. This is the first year we've bought extra magic bands. Typically we just use the ones we order on the website.

That's nice to know. This is the first year we've bought extra magic bands. Typically we just use the ones we order on the website.
In MDE, look at the list of Magic Bands & Cards assigned to you. Any that are listed as Active can be used. And it’s easy to add the new bands you bought - the hard part is reading the tiny ID so you can enter it into MDE correctly!

To the best of my knowledge, you should not "NEED" a new battery. There are 2 parts to a MB, a passive, near field communication part (which opens your room door, scans for fast passes and park entry) - this should not need a battery, its like a security badge for an office building, then there is an active part (Battery is needed here) but thats for things like in ride pictures, dead battery should just mean that that part does not work.
Ours were dead the last time we visited a year ago when we tried to enter then park. They gave us new ones. They told up they last about 2 years. But not going to buy new ones going forward. Hope they are good for my November trip. Like them a lot.

One thing I do know is that if you decline the MB, and you're supposed to get a whole bunch of other stuff with your package like coupons and whatever, you won't get anything, and nobody at the resort will have any idea what you're talking about when you ask about the package you were supposed to receive.

That's my experience, anyways. :P

One thing I do know is that if you decline the MB, and you're supposed to get a whole bunch of other stuff with your package like coupons and whatever, you won't get anything, and nobody at the resort will have any idea what you're talking about when you ask about the package you were supposed to receive.

That's my experience, anyways. :P

Anything like that would not apply to DVC anyway.

I have another issue with my magicbands now. After we got new AP cards (ours had old dates) it seems a couple of magicbands were deleted from my profile. If I try to re-add them it says they are already linked to another profile. Same thing happened to my wife. Guess it is off to guesr services at some point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter