Decisions....Should I stay Premium View Disneyland Hotel or Standard View Grand Californian Hotel? Tips? Advice? Info?

That's so strange! We definitely had different keys for the GCH and Disneyland Hotel. Both gold in color, but one had Chip and Dale on it similar to the headboard in GCH and the other had just "Disneyland Hotel" on it. Our club level key didn't have any distinction on it, though. We stayed at GCH in October 2022 and Disneyland Hotel CL in March 2022 and December 2022. I'll have to get a photo later because I saved one of each as a souvenir.

I wonder why the security CM specifically mentioned GCH guests only and to have room keys or reservations available. Maybe it's hit and miss depending on who is staffing the DCA entrance? That definitely would be even more of a turnoff of staying at GCH for us, because it sounds like the perks of staying there aren't even exclusive.

They are enforcing having an active key recently. Over New Year's, we had to scan our room keys at a table set up and it lit up green. That was a new addition because we didn't have to do that in March or October.

Club level keys are gold, regular room keys are blue. We didn’t have to scan our keys at the beginning of November so they must have started that sometime after we stayed there and you stayed there in December. I don’t know why they specified GCH, but I highly doubt they would turn away guests from a different onsite hotel from the entrance, especially if they were just eating at GCH. Dining at GCH or visiting the GCH lobby would likely be the only reason a DLH or PP guest would use that entrance. A DLH guest would have to go through security twice to use that entrance if they are coming from DTD. And PP and DLH guests would more than likely use the PP entrance to enter DCA if coming in that way.

But there is really nothing exclusive about the GCH amenities until they finish the PP renovation. They’ll even drive PP guests over to GCH (or DLH) on a golf cart to use the pool.

I would do GCH over DLH, all things equal.

The views are not great regardless unless you get very lucky. So I wouldn’t factor that in.

The walk to DLH doesn’t seem that long, but is meaningfully longer, particularly from DCA. The monorail can mitigate some of that. GCH definitely has better food these days.

For me, the 10 minute shorter walk is huge.

If room service matters to you, GCH has room service until midnight. DLH currently offers no room service at all.

If room service matters to you, GCH has room service until midnight. DLH currently offers no room service at all.
Room service is available as of 1/4/23.

Attachments

• D6D50EB4-AA21-44F9-9E98-0B1C998BB22A.jpeg
    D6D50EB4-AA21-44F9-9E98-0B1C998BB22A.jpeg
    46.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 69C7C792-2CA8-4EB5-8B23-15D4DC29011F.jpeg
    69C7C792-2CA8-4EB5-8B23-15D4DC29011F.jpeg
    58 KB · Views: 25
  • 9F393FBC-BA30-42CB-A1AA-3F96050C1A30.jpeg
    9F393FBC-BA30-42CB-A1AA-3F96050C1A30.jpeg
    63.9 KB · Views: 26
Thanks for all the details and info.
I would never pay for concierge anymore just not worth. Years ago, we always stayed concierge/club level at DLH...the food was wonderful. Now I would rather eat at a restaurant or buy my own food for the room.
I am worried about the construction as well. We have no children in our party. I am still very undecided.

The walk to DLH has never bothered even after a long day. We are all from the East Coast/NYC Long Island Metro and we are used to commuting, walking etc. and that is not a factor.

The price difference between DD view/preview at DLH and standard view at GCH is less than $300. So money is not the issue.

I do like that GCH had its own entrance to DCA and its own entrance to DD.

I am probably going to decide within the next 2 or 3 days. I have been reading all sorts of info online and in the guidebooks I bought. And the members of my family group do not care or do not have preferences so I am on my own with this one decision.
On the bright side, you can't really go wrong either way!

I mentioned the long walk primarily if there were going to be young kids with you. Our girls were good walkers but usually pooped out about halfway to the hotel in DTD.

The biggest downsides to DLH would be the construction, which isn't too bad right now except for the visual aspect, and the lack of dining options. Those might be offset for you by some of its assets, though.

Thank you all! I slept on it and I called the Walt Disney Travel Company when it opened this morning.
I booked the Grand Californian with a woods/courtyard view - 2 queen beds and daybed - requested monorail view/monorail track view! I told them as well it was my first time stay at the GCH.

I will miss the DLH but all of the construction was a huge negative for me.

I am looking forward to the GCH. First time stay!!

Thank you all! I slept on it and I called the Walt Disney Travel Company when it opened this morning.
I booked the Grand Californian with a woods/courtyard view - 2 queen beds and daybed - requested monorail view/monorail track view! I told them as well it was my first time stay at the GCH.

I will miss the DLH but all of the construction was a huge negative for me.

I am looking forward to the GCH. First time stay!!
That will be fun!

Question: are there any Woods/Courtyard View rooms that don't overlook the Brisa Courtyard? I thought they all had views of the monorail track.

That will be fun!

Question: are there any Woods/Courtyard View rooms that don't overlook the Brisa Courtyard? I thought they all had views of the monorail track.
All the rooms had views of monorail track. I just requested it and It was noted.....

They did give away our original room though and I also stressed that I care a lot more about being close to the elevators than view. This was a great room for both (5300).

Wow
Could you see monorail?
No.
Wow
Could you see monorail?
No, we were on the opposite side of the hall from the monorail (Brisa Courtyard). Here's a map of the hotel. I circled our room in green and the blue dashes are where the monorail goes. The Great Hall is the lobby. There are elevators above the Great Hall and also a smaller bank straight down past our room, marked 'E'. Those take you down next to Napa Rose restaurant, which is a nice way to get to the DCA entrance.
disney+grand+californian+hotel+review+map.jpg

No.

No, we were on the opposite side of the hall from the monorail (Brisa Courtyard). Here's a map of the hotel. I circled our room in green and the blue dashes are where the monorail goes. The Great Hall is the lobby. There are elevators above the Great Hall and also a smaller bank straight down past our room, marked 'E'. Those take you down next to Napa Rose restaurant, which is a nice way to get to the DCA entrance.
View attachment 736024
Thank you for the map! Your view was great, Great location to the elevator.
This will be my first GCH stay and I appreciate the map and the photos and your info!

For those of you who have stayed at the DLH, is there a particular room or tower you recommend when staying in a room with a premium view?

For those of you who have stayed at the DLH, is there a particular room or tower you recommend when staying in a room with a premium view?
Adventure tower - either a Premium Pool view or premium downtown disney view.

I always do Adevnture tower premium view but I am staying at GCH for the first time with a Woods Courtyard view for my August trip!

Adventure tower - either a Premium Pool view or premium downtown disney view.

I always do Adevnture tower premium view but I am staying at GCH for the first time with a Woods Courtyard view for my August trip!
Ok thank you! A premium pool view room in the Adventure tower would likely not have a fireworks view though right?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter