• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Decisions....Should I stay Premium View Disneyland Hotel or Standard View Grand Californian Hotel? Tips? Advice? Info?

joseph821

DIS Veteran
I always stay at the Disneyland Hotel premium view. I am planning a trip to Disneyland in August 2023.

I have never stayed at the Grand Californian. I am seriously thinking about staying at GCH in a standard view room.

Which hotel would choose?

Does GCH have it one entrance to Downtown Disney? I know GCH has the private entrance to GCH.

Any info on GCH standard views?

Thanks in advance!!

We recently stayed at the GCH and were not "wowed" by it as much as I thought we would be. I grew up always wanting to stay there, because I thought it would be such a dream to be right there in the park and be able to look over the balcony and people watch during breaks at the hotel. We could never afford it, though, until recently and stayed there last October. I was soooo excited and watched countless videos and read hundreds of reviews, anticipating our magical stay.

They do have an entrance to both DCA and DTD, which is very handy.

We more than likely won't stay there again. The hotel is just not "Disney" enough for us, the rooms are small, the hotel is dark, the hallways are long, and people are always hanging around the lobby making it feel congested (at least in our experience). I feel better in rooms that are more light and spacious which is what we find at the DLH, I just felt the GCH rooms were too similar to other hotel rooms we've stayed in with the wood paneling (obviously this is a preference that some people like). The bathroom was also not convenient for changing/getting ready in the morning if you want to change privately/away from others. Don't get me wrong, it's an awesome hotel (in terms of the sheer massive size and the CMs are always a bright spot), but Disneyland Hotel will always be our favorite.

Have you checked into staying Club Level at the Disneyland Hotel? That is a fabulous experience and one I highly recommend. Worth every penny, even though the rooms run about $950-$1000 per night.

If GCH is a bucket list item, it may be worth it to stay and get that experience for yourself though. It was helpful for me to know that I already experienced it once and didn't care for it so am now free to keep staying where we enjoy.

We recently stayed at the GCH and were not "wowed" by it as much as I thought we would be. I grew up always wanting to stay there, because I thought it would be such a dream to be right there in the park and be able to look over the balcony and people watch during breaks at the hotel. We could never afford it, though, until recently and stayed there last October. I was soooo excited and watched countless videos and read hundreds of reviews, anticipating our magical stay.

They do have an entrance to both DCA and DTD, which is very handy.

We more than likely won't stay there again. The hotel is just not "Disney" enough for us, the rooms are small, the hotel is dark, the hallways are long, and people are always hanging around the lobby making it feel congested (at least in our experience). I feel better in rooms that are more light and spacious which is what we find at the DLH, I just felt the GCH rooms were too similar to other hotel rooms we've stayed in with the wood paneling (obviously this is a preference that some people like). The bathroom was also not convenient for changing/getting ready in the morning if you want to change privately/away from others. Don't get me wrong, it's an awesome hotel (in terms of the sheer massive size and the CMs are always a bright spot), but Disneyland Hotel will always be our favorite.

Have you checked into staying Club Level at the Disneyland Hotel? That is a fabulous experience and one I highly recommend. Worth every penny, even though the rooms run about $950-$1000 per night.

If GCH is a bucket list item, it may be worth it to stay and get that experience for yourself though. It was helpful for me to know that I already experienced it once and didn't care for it so am now free to keep staying where we enjoy.
Hi.

Thank you.

I have stayed at the Club level room/Concierge level at the Disneyland Hotel. I loved the club rooms at DLH.
I am looking to make a decision in the next week.

Regarding the separate entrances to DTD and DCA, I guess it is only for GCH guests and has the security checkpoints?

If the price difference is not dramatic it could be fun for you to switch it up and try the grand. That said I actually prefer the DLhotel for its theming and grounds. There’s just something about a dole whip with rum in the hot tub I can’t ever forget.

You could also do a split stay for your first or last night depending on your length of stay. That;s one of my fave things to do.

The entrance to DTD and DCA is super convenient, esp if you have kids or take a mid day break. Also check out the 100th anniversary theming at DLhotel - that right there might push me to stay there instead of GCH.

The entrance to DCA and DTD is open to anyone, you do not need to be a hotel guest. In the pre-covid times I believe in the am you had to be a hotel guest but this does not seem to be the case anymore.

Hi.

Thank you.

I have stayed at the Club level room/Concierge level at the Disneyland Hotel. I loved the club rooms at DLH.

Regarding the separate entrances to DTD and DCA, I guess it is only for GCH guests and has the security checkpoints?

In the morning, the separate entrances to DCA is only open for hotel guests and you have to show a key.
In the afternoon, it is open to anyone.

Forgot to say I have only ever stayed standard view at the grand and no complaints. There was a recent thread where it seems most people prefer Standard view. Hope you have a great trip regardless of where you stay!

In the morning, the separate entrances to DCA is only open for hotel guests and you have to show a key.
Do you know the cut off time for this? I was recently there around 9am and had no issue using the DCA entrance - curious if it is just for EE.

Is the separate entrance to DD require a key? I am guessing in the morning the entrance to DCA is only for hotel guests.

Hi.

Thank you.

That's right - the entrances are for GCH guests, but that changes in the later morning/afternoon where anyone is welcome to come and go from those entrances (one of the reasons a lot of people hang out in the lobby, but I digress). They're pretty strict with checking room keys/reservations when we were there waiting in line. Security would go to each party and want a room key and/or a reservation to be shown to be able to stay in line.

Also - the lines can get fairly long. We woke up at around 5:00am to be down to wait in line for security by 6:15-6:20am. By 6:30am, the line can get pretty backed up in the courtyard (if going DTD) or back towards the lobby (if doing DCA).

Forgot to say I have only ever stayed standard view at the grand and no complaints. There was a recent thread where it seems most people prefer Standard view. Hope you have a great trip regardless of where you stay!
Thank you. I will let you know and the board. It will be a difficult decision. Also a member of the family/group has never been to Disneyland before so that weighs on me.

Thank you. I will let you know and the board. It will be a difficult decision. Also a member of the family/group has never been to Disneyland before so that weighs on me.
That might push me to DLhotel, unless there are any mobility issues. It just feels more DL to me. If any in your party have been to WDW I believe the Grand’s architect is the same as Wilderness Lodge and AK Lodge. FWIW If that would influence one way or another. It’s a good problem to have, though! :D

That's right - the entrances are for GCH guests, but that changes in the later morning/afternoon. They're pretty strict with checking room keys/reservations when we were there waiting in line. Security would go to each party and want a room key and/or a reservation to be shown to be able to stay in line.

Also - the lines can get fairly long. We woke up at around 5:00am to be down to wait in line for security by 6:15-6:20am. By 6:30am, the line can get pretty backed up in the courtyard (if going DTD) or back towards the lobby (if doing DCA).

The entrances are for guests of all the onsite hotels. Whether or not this is enforced really depends on the time of day and I’d guess the staffing levels. In the early mornings, they are checking for keys and reservations because EE is for hotel guests only.

ETA: Usually anyone can use the DCA entrance near Napa Rose after EE. Only onsite hotel guests can use the “new” entry by the DCA wing that enters next to Goofy’s Flight School.

The entrances are for guests of all the onsite hotels. Whether or not this is enforced really depends on the time of day and I’d guess the staffing levels. In the early mornings, they are checking for keys and reservations because EE is for hotel guests only.
I wonder if that was changed? They asked specifically for a Grand Cal hotel key or reservation when we were there to use the DCA entrance for EE. When my cousins stayed at Paradise Pier a couple years ago they weren't allowed to come over to the GCH for early entrance and had to go to through the DTD route.

That might push me to DLhotel, unless there are any mobility issues. It just feels more DL to me. If any in your party have been to WDW I believe the Grand’s architect is the same as Wilderness Lodge and AK Lodge. FWIW If that would influence one way or another. It’s a good problem to have, though! :D
Yes I think the first timer to Disneyland might prefer DLH. But I have told either one works so it is my decision!

My only thought to add is that I wouldn't pay a single dollar extra for a view right now. Between the DLH DVC tower and the Downtown Disney construction, the views are still supposed to be a mess.

I am going to disagree with most who have responded. I've stayed in both hotels more times than I can count. I vastly prefer GCH currently. I stayed at DLH in July, Oct, and one night in Dec. I stayed in GCH in Dec and Jan.

DLH has lost most of what I used to love--the restaurants, shops over the water, waterfalls, and many other things that were unique to it. It feels run down and old to me. I love all of the memorabilia but I think it's regrettable that there is no unifying lobby area, just a place for your family to sit while you're checking in. You used to see characters roaming through and there were fun activities. The monorail slide is neat looking and the pool is nice but it closes early and isn't enough to sway me anyway since I'm not going to hang out at the pool (I have one at home). The only dining they have right now is Goofy's, which I think is buffet, Trader Sam's (which I love but has very limited capacity) and Tangaroa, which is more or less fast food. There's a tiny take-out coffee place also which gets slammed in the mornings. There are encouraging signs that Steakhouse 55 may be returning, though! But with the addition of all of the new DVC rooms, it's going to be even more difficult to get food at the hotel.

A lot of the rooms are slightly larger than those at GCH. The huge windows are nice, but the construction is going to greatly impact many of the views. It may not seem much farther than GCH, but it feels a lot farther when you're walking back at night. The elevators were super slow when we were there last month. We had a premium concierge room one floor below the lounge, and it often took forever for the elevator to come. We'd stayed the first 3 nights at GCH (std) and the 4th night at DLH. The premium concierge room at DLH felt like a big downgrade, though we did have a beautiful view and could see the fireworks. Concierge food was terrible. It used to be wonderful but now its tasteless and definitely not worth it for us so I can't recommend concierge.

Lots of people love the headboards that light up and play a little song. If you've not seen it before, or if you have kids, it will probably be cool. I don't even look at it any more and it feels cheesy to me now. I prefer the bathroom setup at GCH, where someone can be in the shower/toilet room and others can get ready at the separate vanity area. The showers at GCH are huge and pretty cool.

GCH currently has a better dining selection IMO. They have multiple areas including a kind of short-order/cafeteria-style set-up, lounge, poolside bar and grill, fine dining (Napa Rose), and buffet (Storytellers). The lobby is wonderful, though at peak times of the year it can be crowded. I've never had trouble finding a place to sit and I love hanging out in the big rockers by the fireplace. There is also an outdoor fireplace directly behind the indoor one.

I know that money is probably the main factor in most people's decision about which is better, and DLH is nearly always better price-wise. But there are some good offers throughout the year and cheaper times to go. That can really affect the room cost. For example, we paid $800+ per night for a std room at GCH in Dec. with a MK rate. We paid $389/night for the same room earlier this week, also a MK rate.

I'm not trying to bash DLH, as I do love it and it's where we go when younger kids are with us. When it's adults or adults and teens, GCH is the favorite in my family. Both hotels are great, but my preference by far is GCH. I almost always reserve a std room and request one close to the elevators. I don't care about the view because they're almost all pretty good and none are worth extra to me.

Good luck with your decision and honestly, your attitude is the most important thing! Have fun!

I am going to disagree with most who have responded. I've stayed in both hotels more times than I can count. I vastly prefer GCH currently. I stayed at DLH in July, Oct, and one night in Dec. I stayed in GCH in Dec and Jan.

DLH has lost most of what I used to love--the restaurants, shops over the water, waterfalls, and many other things that were unique to it. It feels run down and old to me. I love all of the memorabilia but I think it's regrettable that there is no unifying lobby area, just a place for your family to sit while you're checking in. You used to see characters roaming through and there were fun activities. The monorail slide is neat looking and the pool is nice but it closes early and isn't enough to sway me anyway since I'm not going to hang out at the pool (I have one at home). The only dining they have right now is Goofy's, which I think is buffet, Trader Sam's (which I love but has very limited capacity) and Tangaroa, which is more or less fast food. There's a tiny take-out coffee place also which gets slammed in the mornings. There are encouraging signs that Steakhouse 55 may be returning, though! But with the addition of all of the new DVC rooms, it's going to be even more difficult to get food at the hotel.

A lot of the rooms are slightly larger than those at GCH. The huge windows are nice, but the construction is going to greatly impact many of the views. It may not seem much farther than GCH, but it feels a lot farther when you're walking back at night. The elevators were super slow when we were there last month. We had a premium concierge room one floor below the lounge, and it often took forever for the elevator to come. We'd stayed the first 3 nights at GCH (std) and the 4th night at DLH. The premium concierge room at DLH felt like a big downgrade, though we did have a beautiful view and could see the fireworks. Concierge food was terrible. It used to be wonderful but now its tasteless and definitely not worth it for us so I can't recommend concierge.

Lots of people love the headboards that light up and play a little song. If you've not seen it before, or if you have kids, it will probably be cool. I don't even look at it any more and it feels cheesy to me now. I prefer the bathroom setup at GCH, where someone can be in the shower/toilet room and others can get ready at the separate vanity area. The showers at GCH are huge and pretty cool.

GCH currently has a better dining selection IMO. They have multiple areas including a kind of short-order/cafeteria-style set-up, lounge, poolside bar and grill, fine dining (Napa Rose), and buffet (Storytellers). The lobby is wonderful, though at peak times of the year it can be crowded. I've never had trouble finding a place to sit and I love hanging out in the big rockers by the fireplace. There is also an outdoor fireplace directly behind the indoor one.

I know that money is probably the main factor in most people's decision about which is better, and DLH is nearly always better price-wise. But there are some good offers throughout the year and cheaper times to go. That can really affect the room cost. For example, we paid $800+ per night for a std room at GCH in Dec. with a MK rate. We paid $389/night for the same room earlier this week, also a MK rate.

I'm not trying to bash DLH, as I do love it and it's where we go when younger kids are with us. When it's adults or adults and teens, GCH is the favorite in my family. Both hotels are great, but my preference by far is GCH. I almost always reserve a std room and request one close to the elevators. I don't care about the view because they're almost all pretty good and none are worth extra to me.

Good luck with your decision and honestly, your attitude is the most important thing! Have fun!
Thanks for all the details and info.
I would never pay for concierge anymore just not worth. Years ago, we always stayed concierge/club level at DLH...the food was wonderful. Now I would rather eat at a restaurant or buy my own food for the room.
I am worried about the construction as well. We have no children in our party. I am still very undecided.

The walk to DLH has never bothered even after a long day. We are all from the East Coast/NYC Long Island Metro and we are used to commuting, walking etc. and that is not a factor.

The price difference between DD view/preview at DLH and standard view at GCH is less than $300. So money is not the issue.

I do like that GCH had its own entrance to DCA and its own entrance to DD.

I am probably going to decide within the next 2 or 3 days. I have been reading all sorts of info online and in the guidebooks I bought. And the members of my family group do not care or do not have preferences so I am on my own with this one decision.

I wonder if that was changed? They asked specifically for a Grand Cal hotel key or reservation when we were there to use the DCA entrance for EE. When my cousins stayed at Paradise Pier a couple years ago they weren't allowed to come over to the GCH for early entrance and had to go to through the DTD route.

Years ago PP guests were not allowed to cross the street and enter GCH through the gate next to the driveway. There was a real effort to make that an exclusive amenity to GCH guests, including having to show your room key to even exit the park through it at times. That has changed since it reopened post pandemic. There is no dining at PP and the closest dining options are in DLH and GCH. And the pool isn’t available at PP. Because of this, they allow PP guests enter through that gate now. There’s really no reason for a PP guest to enter the park for EE through the GCH entrance since they reopened the Paradise Pier entrance (although, when we stayed there we received conflicting info on whether or not the PP entrance would be open for EE). We’ve stayed at both GCH and DLH since that entrance has opened and our room keys worked on the gate to that entrance even though it’s only listed as a benefit for PP guests. When we stayed at DLH, we entered GCH through the gate near the driveway and my daughter and I grabbed breakfast at Craftsman Grill while my husband got in line for EE at the GCH entrance. They asked for a room key or reservation and we showed them our DLH reservation and they didn’t say anything to us.

Come to think of it, I’m not even sure the room key said which hotel we were staying at. Each hotel uses the same keys (different keys for regular and concierge rooms) and I remember thinking it was weird they were printing dates on the keys anymore because people could just keep reusing an old key if they weren’t staying at the hotel.

our room key to even exit the park through it at times. That has changed since it reopened post pandemic. There is no dining at PP and the closest dining options are in DLH and GCH. And the pool isn’t available at PP. Because of this, they allow PP guests enter through that gate now. There’s really no reason for a PP guest to enter the park for EE through the GCH entrance since they reopened the Paradise Pier entrance (although, when we stayed there we received conflicting info on whether or not the PP entrance would be open for EE). We’ve stayed at both GCH and DLH since that entrance has opened and our room keys worked on the gate to that entrance even though it’s only listed as a benefit for PP guests. When we stayed at DLH, we entered GCH through the gate near the driveway and my daughter and I grabbed breakfast at Craftsman Grill while my husband got in line for EE at the GCH entrance. They asked for a room key or reservation and we showed them our DLH reservation and they didn’t say anything to us.
That's so strange! We definitely had different keys for the GCH and Disneyland Hotel. Both gold in color, but one had Chip and Dale on it similar to the headboard in GCH and the other had just "Disneyland Hotel" on it. Our club level key didn't have any distinction on it, though. We stayed at GCH in October 2022 and Disneyland Hotel CL in March 2022 and December 2022. I'll have to get a photo later because I saved one of each as a souvenir.

I wonder why the security CM specifically mentioned GCH guests only and to have room keys or reservations available. Maybe it's hit and miss depending on who is staffing the DCA entrance? That definitely would be even more of a turnoff of staying at GCH for us, because it sounds like the perks of staying there aren't even exclusive.

They are enforcing having an active key recently. Over New Year's, we had to scan our room keys at a table set up and it lit up green. That was a new addition because we didn't have to do that in March or October.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter