Decent restaurants for dinner off property

Near DTD is a Sweet Tomatoes.
I think kids are less than $5, at least they were in Sept

There is a Perkins nearby DTD, kinda old.

I was going to suggest Sweet Tomatoes as well. Really, really enjoy eating there and go as often as we can when in WDW. If you visit their website you can get coupons emailed to you.

Hi km:

We have been going to WDW at least once, many times twice, per year since 1987. We started out without a car and using WDW transportation which limited us to WDW dining options only. In 2001 we started renting a car. Big change!!

Now we drive to all places, except MK, but more importantly we can travel off property. I will tell you that the quality of food is far better offsite and the prices are way cheaper. A GPS is great, but not necessary. It does allow us to find new places easier and faster, but there are several good eats just outside the WDW perimeter. Many times it is faster to get to an offsite restaurant than an onside restaurant. There is the possibility that you will not have the "magical experience" while offsite, but you will have to weigh in that factor. Try it. You may find you like it much better.

Good luck and good eats.

Tim/Hawk

If you are into BBQ and are up for a drive then there is a place called 4 Rivers Smokehouse. OMG! Have you ever seen the show on the Food Network called "The Best Thing I Ever Ate.." Well if I was ever to be on it I would be talking about the brisket at this place.

There is a location up in Winter Garden. If you take the Western Beltway up to it the drive isn't that bad. Maybe 20-30 minutes. There is another location in Winter Park but I think that is a little longer trip.

We went there last year and the food was out of this world. If you look on all of the food sites for Orlando this place is always one of the top choices for a few years now. If you go just try to get there a little early because before you know it there will be a line out the door. It won't disappoint. We are going again this coming August. Sometimes I think I am more excited about this place than Disney World...

This is a great thread! Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going with 4 teenage boys in April and really appreciate good off site eats.

Kissimmee Ale House looks really close to Animal Kingdom Lodge on my gps. It has it listed as 8 minutes traveling time.

Do you think that's accurate? If so, woohoo!:woohoo:

Definitely accurate. We always go shopping at a Pulbix right next to Millers Ale House...actually ate at Millers last October and were pleasantly surprised by it. From Animal Kingdom Lodge you head east, then take the very first road (Sherbeth Road) to Hwy 192, turn right and go approx. 2 miles, Millers Ale House is on the right side of the road.

Definitely accurate. We always go shopping at a Pulbix right next to Millers Ale House...actually ate at Millers last October and were pleasantly surprised by it. From Animal Kingdom Lodge you head east, then take the very first road (Sherbeth Road) to Hwy 192, turn right and go approx. 2 miles, Millers Ale House is on the right side of the road.

:flower2: Thanks for letting me know there's a Publix right next to it! We are renting DVC and we can eat out and then fill the fridge.

Being a couponer, I'll have to look up Publix's coupon policy. I know the Southern states tend not to double up to .99 cents like we do, only half or so.

Anything to fill the stomachs of 4 teenage boys and keep the food bill down is great!

We loved Golden Corral but I thought the end bill was expensive. Seems the drinks were higher than normal.

I have gone to the Golden Corral a lot. Now I don't order drinks, just water.

Next to the Golden Corral on 192 near Sherberth Rd./Entrepointe Rd. is a Shoney's all American buffet.

(BTW Sherberth is the road going south from the light in front of Animal Kingdom Lodge.)

If you go out Hotel Plaza Blvd. and turn left onto 535 (Goodings Plaza was straight ahead) then go straight through next light (535 goes left here). Little ways on the right is a plaza with a Chinese buffet restaurant with reasonable prices. (Slightly past this buffet is a Winn Dixie supermarket)

I forgot to add that there is a Steak and Shake just up the road from Crossroads Shopping Center. Always clean, fast, hot, good food and really inexpensive. If we just want burgers and fries this is where we go.

We really enjoyed Giordanos last trip and got more gift certificates at restaurant.com for when we go back in July. Their pizza was really good. We always hit Red Lobster as well. We have one locally but we never go to it. For some reason, it has become a tradition for me and my son to go there on vacation. I let him get the Ultimate Feast and he is already talking about it for this trip. I am thinking of buying gift certificates and cards for places we will go to, so it's not a big expense when we get there.

We always like the Chevy's Fresh Mex at CrossRoads, they are kid friendly (usually have a ballon artist on hand) and a good kids menu (comes with a mini icecream cone for desert) really reasonable pricing too.

Sweet Tomatoes question for you all.

I looked online and looks like this is a buffet but with soups and salads, is that right??

Also, prices were not listed online. Could anyone give me a ballpark estimate of what the prices are? Adult and 6 year old?

Thanks so much!

Sweet Tomatoes question for you all.

I looked online and looks like this is a buffet but with soups and salads, is that right??

Also, prices were not listed online. Could anyone give me a ballpark estimate of what the prices are? Adult and 6 year old?

Thanks so much!

Sweet Tomatoes has a very long salad bar that has every imaginable salad fixing as well as about half a dozen prepared salads plus dressings and such. That's one section.

Then there is a soup bar that has 6 (I think) homemade soups that are always excellent.

Then there is a hot bar with baked potatoes and toppings for them, pastas, pizza and various specialty breads.

Then there is a dessert bar that has soft serve, brownies, toppings for the ice cream, a fruit cobbler and some other stuff.

Price is about $10 for adults and maybe $7 for kids but I'm not positive. I don't know how they do it for what they charge. Quality is great. Service is great. Place is always spotless.

If you plan to go to Sweet Tomatoes, sign up for their email list to get coupons to take with you. They are owned by SoupPlantation.

If you plan to go to Sweet Tomatoes, sign up for their email list to get coupons to take with you. They are owned by SoupPlantation.

You can also Like them on facebook and sometimes get special offers that way.

I think I am the only person in the world who doesn't care for Sweet Tomatoes.
I guess if it was about $4 less per person I would like it more.

I'm sure you aren't the only one. I am curious why you think it is overpriced, though. We think it is a tremendous bargain.

Nah, people like different things. I have never been there, but I would never set foot in some restaurant listed here, such as Golden Corral ( we call it the trough, as does everyone else around here) Steak and shake , or CiCi's. Food is funny, people like different things. I am still wondering why Olive Garden is always crowded.

For those who plan to try Sweet Tomatoes just an FYI that it is in the very, very back of the shopping center and there is no signage directing you to it. We couldn't find it the first time we went looking for it.

Also, they close rather early (at least in September) I think it was either 9:00 or 9:30 when we went over and they were not only closed but dark inside.

:flower2: Thanks for letting me know there's a Publix right next to it! We are renting DVC and we can eat out and then fill the fridge.

Being a couponer, I'll have to look up Publix's coupon policy. I know the Southern states tend not to double up to .99 cents like we do, only half or so.

Anything to fill the stomachs of 4 teenage boys and keep the food bill down is great!

We loved Golden Corral but I thought the end bill was expensive. Seems the drinks were higher than normal.

I got here and wanted to answer you really quick, so I apologize if it's been posted.

However, I love Publix. They have great BOGO sales, and they'll accept two manufacture coupons on these sales, since you are "buying" both. Great way to stock up if it's something you'll use on the trip! iheartpublix is a great coupon blog. They do not double coupons, though. Publix is the only grocery store I'll buy my meat from around here because it comes in fresh, and not frozen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter