• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

December 2021 trip planning

And now its being said that no, kids do not have to quarantine, but will have to take a test 3 - 5 days after arrival. But no details on where it can be done, if it has to be supervised, what type of test, who you report the test result to etc etc.
Is there already more info about the testing requirements once people have arrived in the US? I wonder if they have enough testing capacity..

Is there already more info about the testing requirements once people have arrived in the US? I wonder if they have enough testing capacity..

From what I've seen on the Dibb this morning, this article has given a bit more clarity
Some unvaccinated foreign nationals can visit the US starting Nov. 8 (usatoday.com)

Cindy Friedman, the CDC's chief of the traveler’s health branch, said in a Tuesday press conference that unvaccinated children under 18 traveling with vaccinated adults will not need to quarantine but would still need to take a post-arrival test. That detail has yet to be laid out on the CDC’s website.

"We’re working on clarifying that in the Order," CDC spokesperson Caitlin Shockey told USA TODAY. "It should be up later this week."

I really don't know what to do. It just an added layer of stress. Our holiday is already completely paid off, and my DVC points probably can't be moved. Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting DD to test positive 3 - 5 days after arrival, and she has had one dose of the vaccine, but if she wasn't displaying symptoms then we wouldn't test her under normal circumstances.
I don't know if the likes of CVS / Walgreens are geared up for the mass testing that will be needing to take place. The first few weeks its not as likely to be a problem, but once the Christmas hols hit I can see their workload will hugely increase.
I hope they don't take too long clarifying this order. Feels like the rug has been pulled out from under us a little.

From what I've seen on the Dibb this morning, this article has given a bit more clarity
Some unvaccinated foreign nationals can visit the US starting Nov. 8 (usatoday.com)

Cindy Friedman, the CDC's chief of the traveler’s health branch, said in a Tuesday press conference that unvaccinated children under 18 traveling with vaccinated adults will not need to quarantine but would still need to take a post-arrival test. That detail has yet to be laid out on the CDC’s website.

"We’re working on clarifying that in the Order," CDC spokesperson Caitlin Shockey told USA TODAY. "It should be up later this week."

I really don't know what to do. It just an added layer of stress. Our holiday is already completely paid off, and my DVC points probably can't be moved. Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting DD to test positive 3 - 5 days after arrival, and she has had one dose of the vaccine, but if she wasn't displaying symptoms then we wouldn't test her under normal circumstances.
I don't know if the likes of CVS / Walgreens are geared up for the mass testing that will be needing to take place. The first few weeks its not as likely to be a problem, but once the Christmas hols hit I can see their workload will hugely increase.
I hope they don't take too long clarifying this order. Feels like the rug has been pulled out from under us a little.
Thanks for the link and for the additional information. I can imagine how much anxiety this creates. Keeping my fingers crossed that we get some clarity on that order, soon.

Still no update from the CDC

I have spoken to the Virgin holidays store where I booked, who are saying, no kids do not need to test 3 - 5 days after arrival according to all the information they have. She did admit though, that this situation could change with any further updates to the attestation that will be in place for 8th November.

I really don't know what to do. It just an added layer of stress. Our holiday is already completely paid off, and my DVC points probably can't be moved
It sounds like your trip is pretty much set in stone now, so there really isn't anything you can do about that.
IIRC you don't go till mid-December, and if someone fails a mandatory test at some point you will have to deal. Once the rules are made clear then have a plan (and insurance) for that eventuality - but for now, once again, there's nothing you can do about it, so no point in worrying about it.

Yes, flying out on 19th December

I know travel insurance would cover us if we were not able to travel due to one of us testing positive when we take the test 3 days before. I'm not so sure that insurance would cover us for having to isolate in a hotel room for 10 days if my DD tested positive - how do you compensate for a holiday begin totally screwed up. Its not like we would leave her in the room on her own whilst me and DH went out and enjoyed the parks!

I just hope they clarify what is required soon.

I'm not so sure that insurance would cover us for having to isolate in a hotel room for 10 days
You need to read your policy carefully, and also check your hotel's/Disney's policies. That is regardless of this test thing - if any of you come down with it you need to know what to do.

how do you compensate for a holiday begin totally screwed up.
There is none. Booking a foreign holiday during this pandemic was always risky.

Its not like we would leave her in the room on her own whilst me and DH went out and enjoyed the parks!
Well, it depends on her age, etc, but staying in the room 24/7 with an infected person is going to massively increase your risks of catching it (increased viral load) even through your vaccines. (About 1/3 of current UK infections are in vaccinated people.)
That could affect your travel home.
Maybe do shifts if you really need to have someone there - and of course take all other possible precautions, like ventilation, distance, as well.

These are all things that should be considered by everyone travelling regardless of testing requirements. Unfortunately any of your party could get ill with covid and the scenario would be much the same, hopefully not worse.

It probably won't happen, but have a plan of some sort in mind just in case. You'll worry less if you know how you will handle any problems. If you want a comforting (or terrifying) example to follow, the aircraft flying you out there probably won't fail, but the people flying it will have a plan in case it does. :)

If it is really confirm that unvaccinated kids have to do a test on day 3, I will cancel. I am not taking the risk of being stuck in a hotel room for 10 days 😟

My youngest child is going to be 11 in decembre, so worst case senario I will rebook for august 2023 and then hopefully she can be vaccinated as well.

It has been confirmed on the attestation that was released last night that children will not need to quarantine, but will need to take an antigen test 3 - 5 days after arrival.
When signing the form you attest that you have made arrangements for the test - but it doesn't say it has to be supervised.
On other fb groups and forums there is speculation that you could just take an NHS test with you and that will suffice, or that you will just have to pop to CVS or Walgreens and purchase an antigen test for use in your hotel room / villa.

There are 2 virgin flights a day to MCO, and I believe 2 BA flights. An Aer Lingus flight from Dublin, and countless other people travelling in direct. Lets assume across the 2 x BA, 2 x VA and 1 x Aer Lingus there would be 500 children. And then the children travelling indirect, add another few hundred?
I honestly cannot see CVS and Walgreens having the capacity to test hundreds of children a day in the Orlando area.

I just wish the information was released correctly, without all this need for second guessing and angst.

Not to worry you (more) but this was in a comment elsewhere about the Halloween things, or lack thereof, at WDW:
"There were so many obviously sick people everywhere and our daughter ended up testing positive for Covid at the end of our trip."

I'm not really surprised since no-one is going to cancel an expensive and long awaited trip just because they don't feel 100%, but as with colds and flu they are going to spread it around.

I usually end up with a cold at the very least when we get home anyway!

It is what it is, and we've decided to still go ahead and hope for the best.
The lady in the Virgin holidays store is still insisting that kids here are considered fully vaccinated with one dose and that the 3 - 5 day tests are only applicable to unvaccinated people. I'm not convinced!
I will wait with interest to see the reports from people travelling in the first week or two with children.

I usually end up with a cold at the very least when we get home anyway!

It is what it is, and we've decided to still go ahead and hope for the best.
The lady in the Virgin holidays store is still insisting that kids here are considered fully vaccinated with one dose and that the 3 - 5 day tests are only applicable to unvaccinated people. I'm not convinced!
I will wait with interest to see the reports from people travelling in the first week or two with children.

She is wrong. It does not matter whether kids are considered fully vaccinated in their home country. What matters is that anyone under 18 is considered NOT vaccinated for the purpose of entry into USA. This is because different countries have different policy's for vaccinating kids and to keep things consistent, the USA have decided all under 18 are unvaccinated. Therefore under 18s will have to have the 3-5 day tests.

I know she is wrong, but she isn't convinced. Her internal comms is what she is telling me.
I would just like to know what type of antigen test will be required after arrival.

Well its becoming more and more complicated,

Just wondering what we have to do

Holiday Booked done
ESTAS done
Insurance done
Plans done

SO I am thinking all I need to do now is book or pre departure test (what is everyone doing about this? Chemist etc. is it a PCR test we need or Anti-gen?)
We have 2 9 year olds so we need to test them 3-5 days after arrival (Again is this a test booked somewhere or just a home test?) I know this is up in the air
Hope not to catch COVID while there
Fly home (do I need another test?)

Just got to the stage where all I find is conflicting info :(

Holiday Booked done
ESTAS done
Insurance done
Plans done

SO I am thinking all I need to do now is book or pre departure test (what is everyone doing about this? Chemist etc. is it a PCR test we need or Anti-gen?)
We have 2 9 year olds so we need to test them 3-5 days after arrival (Again is this a test booked somewhere or just a home test?) I know this is up in the air

I can't answer any of the children stuff I am afraid, but from an adult point of view. But assuming you are fully vaccinated, you need to do a PCR or antigen test no more than 72 hours prior to departure in order to enter the USA. I think Boots are offering them as well as loads of other places, if you live near an airport, there are testing sites set up around those as well. You don't need to do anything on arrival, as I say, I am not entirely sure about under 18s.

You then have to do a test when you return to the UK within 48 hours, PCR or antigen again. You don't need to do a test in the USA in order to re-enter the UK, that requirement has now been dropped.

Just to clarify a couple of points...the pre-travel test is 3 days. not 72 hours - a subtle but important distinction. The return test is a simple at-home antigen test, but should be ordered before you travel out, as you need to put your booking reference on the PLF before returning to the UK.

Holiday Booked done
ESTAS done
Insurance done
Plans done

I fly on a Monday, and I can book a test on the Friday, but Saturday and Sunday are unavailable. What happens if the Monday flight is delayed and I run over the three day time limit I wonder. I am tempted to book a PCR test, rather than an LFT, just in case the requirements change. Just another hurdle.

I fly on a Monday, and I can book a test on the Friday, but Saturday and Sunday are unavailable. What happens if the Monday flight is delayed and I run over the three day time limit I wonder. I am tempted to book a PCR test, rather than an LFT, just in case the requirements change. Just another hurdle.

I'm sure I've read somewhere about your flight being delayed, and it not mattering if you have taken your supervised test in good faith within 3 days of your original departure. It may have been on the CDC website.

It's on the CDC website:

If the first flight in your trip is delayed past the 1-day or 3-day limit of testing due to a situation outside of your control (e.g., delays because of severe weather or aircraft mechanical problem), and that delay is 24 hours or less past the 1-day or 3-day limit for testing, you do not need to be retested. If the delay is more than 24 hours past the 1- day or 3-day limit, then you will need to be retested.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter