December 2020 W.I.S.H. - Finding Delight

I just completed my usual workout and then spelled “MERRY”. I’ll try to come back later to do more. Remember to have fun with this. If you find a different holiday workout you’d rather do, feel free. There are lots out there. Some are to holiday songs and some for Hallmark movies. Or even going for a walk while listening to holiday tunes. Just trying to have fun while staying fit. What makes workouts fun for you?

We’re watching a lot of football today so I’m doing a modified Home Alone-every first down I get up and do laps around the family room/kitchen.

I love getting out for my walks-being outside is a real mood lifter for me-our walking trail is protected so I can walk in cold weather. It is iced up right now so I had to walk in the neighborhood and I didn’t walk as far as I usually do-so getting up during the commercials is a good boost!

I just watched “Love Actually” with my daughter. It’s my favorite movie, (2nd favorite is “Serendipity”) I laugh and cry whenever I watch it. The movie begins and ends at the airport with people hugging their loved ones. During the time of Covid, I have fantasized about the day that I will be able to run up to my loved ones and hug them without fear just like in the movie. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
948E164F-4CEB-4FAC-9A92-F03C16172435.jpeg

I just watched “Love Actually” with my daughter. It’s my favorite movie, (2nd favorite is “Serendipity”) I laugh and cry whenever I watch it. The movie begins and ends at the airport with people hugging their loved ones. During the time of Covid, I have fantasized about the day that I will be able to run up to my loved ones and hug them without fear just like in the movie. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
View attachment 544891
I remember seeing it in the theater and crying! I need to watch it again, it’s been a while since I’ve seen it. I always feel sad for Emma Thompson, though!

So far this morning I've done my morning beach drive, got gas and went thru the car wash. The football game starts in a bit so now I'm going to sit and knit and have a lovely cup of tea.

For a giggle, here's the Friday Funnie I posted yesterday.

How do you know when Santa is close by?

You can sense his presents.

View attachment 544904
It’s Self-Care Sunday!
Which of these de-stressors speak to you?
View attachment 544904
It’s Self-Care Sunday!
Which of these de-stressors speak to you?
I started my day with a hot mug of coffee in my new Spode latte mug and hot chicken soup for lunch. It is snowing again, and once again, I'm so glad that I have nowhere that I have to be. I'm watching a funny movie ("Horrible Bosses 2") right now, so laughter is easy. Later, DD and I will be listening to holiday tunes while we bake and decorate more cookies.

Well Christmas 2020 is turning into put on a happy face and fake it once again.
I wanted to put up most of the decorations the day after Thanksgiving. Still can't get 15 year old to help get the cleaning done and 90% of what I need done explained to 13 year old who will at least help by following simple directions. Bring me the broom and dust pan, take the dishes to the kitchen, ect.
I wanted to be able to do some holiday baking but have nothing done because still working on the cleaning.
I managed to overdue it so much yesterday that I am still in pain today and have to do some more because I am getting little to no help. DH is helping by getting dishes done but I can't even get a certain child of mine to put them away. It has turned into what is her excuse today for not helping. I feel that I could pay her a million dollars an hour and she still wouldn't help me because why should she help me especially since getting things clean means that I will put up the decorations that she thinks are ugly and stupid.
Honestly if it wasn't for 13 year old I would cancel Christmas in this house.
We would stil have Christmas eve with mother and father in law. This is going to be simple as I am picking up a meat, cheese, and cracker tray and Mother in law is going to do something to go with it in the snacks department. We plan on the girls opening their presents from DH side, a little visiting, and maybe playing some board games or watching a movie. The plan is to go look at lights after leaving their house including the illuminaries that are only out on Christmas Eve.
We would still have a Christmas Celebration with my parents and siblings and their families which this year is going to be the day after Christmas. Plan is to open gifts in the early afternoon and then have smoked brisket as the main dish in the early afternoon.
I thought that I was all done with Christmas shopping but the package for a great nephew which was supposed to arrive on Friday and was even on the truck for delivery was marked as delivered but never showed. At least the store I ordered from issued me a refund immediately and is marking it as lost. DH is going to need to stop and pick up some items in the price range we are spending on all the nieces and nephews inclduding the greats at the store tomorrow when he is out and about. He has to renew his driver's license by his birthday in the first part of January so has an appointment tomorrow. At least he wil be able to get a real ID so when it takes effect if we ever have the money he can fly. I will have to renew my passport from when I was in high school and was supposed to go to Europe with a group except I got removed at the last minute when a girl from a weathy family decided she wanted to go and since my family had the least amount of money and thus clout guess who lost her space-me.
The cost of a real ID is your license fees plus $25 if gotten within 6 months before your license expires or if you let it expire which means you can't drive legally 3 months after that date other wise it is $50 plus the cost of renewing your license if you don't have one because it expired or a replacement if you have yours. Natually they started issuing real IDs here in mid January of last year and I had to renew my license the end of May of 2019 so would have to pay the higher amount. It is cheaper for me to get another passport by the time I would have paid for my license, pay the real ID fees, and pay the license replacement fee. Not that I have money to travel anyways nor with the mask requirement that I want to I am staying close to home with the occasional trip to a resort town about an hour away which is just outside a wilderness area so lots of portapotties to use and places to go for walks and pretty drives and stuff. We pack a lunch in the cooler and put it in the bed of the truck and are set to go on a get out of the house and have a nice time socially distanced avoid people fun time adventure.

Motivation Monday
69AA653A-305E-4F07-A3F1-9240DFDE5BE7.jpeg

Ages ago, our ancestors, cold and fearful for their very survival, watched the winter skies for signs of the sun's return. For many of us, the shorter daylight hours in winter can be difficult.

Each winter, we are still reminded that even in dark times, hope is waiting to be reborn inside each of us. This year, more than ever, we need to hold on to hope. There are indeed brighter days to come for all of us.

How do you remain motivated and hopeful during the cold dark days of winter?

Last edited:
How do you remain motivated and hopeful during the cold dark days of winter?

Christmas usually helps - all the lights, the family stuff.

When DS was in school, we often went south during February break, which helped a lot as well.

I also have one of these:

If I'm feeling particularly tired on cloudy days, I hook it over the curtain rod aimed at the ceiling. It bounces off and makes it seem like the sun is out.

I struggle during these dark days. It tends to bring me down and makes me want to hibernate. But my motivation this week is to keep moving (I didn’t move much yesterday as I watched Hallmark movies most of the day...mixed in with some wrapping, a grocery pickup, a workout and some school work).

Winter has always been hard on me. Where I live, we get plenty of snow, but worse is all of the melting and refreezing which creates a lot of ice everywhere...on the roads and sidewalks (I have fallen too many times to count) and on the ski slopes which does not make for great ski conditions. The dark really gets to me. I may end up purchasing the light that Pollyanna posted. Winter feels like the longest season of the year to me.

Christmas🎅 is the highlight of the winter for me. I make a big deal of all of the winter holidays to help me cope.

90% of my DH's family live out west. His DS moved out to AZ almost 30 years ago because she had Seasonal Affective Disorder. Most other family members followed, including his parents and brother. If I didn't love my home and the ocean as much as I do, we would join them. When we visited them in April 2019, we spent a week in Disneyland afterwards. I fell in love with California. As expensive as it is to live in Fairfield County, living in California doesn't even come close. Maybe one day we could make the move...

I agree with MickeyMom76 that it helps to keep moving. When I look at my step tracker, every winter I take the least amount of steps. That is why I purchased a treadmill. I cannot rely on being able to walk outdoors this time of year, and I know that the endorphins from exercise would help me combat these sad feelings.

Off to get ready to teach now...we are celebrating Grinchmas🎄in Kindergarten today!

Last edited:
Currently our sunrise is at 7:55am and sunset is at 4:20pm.... but if it is overcast you never really see the sun in between. The past few years I've been much more in sync with it but multiple days of solid grey gets old really fast. Now that we've reached the solstice we start to get back two minutes per day which doesn't seem like a lot but adds up to an hour each month, hallelujah!

I too love Christmas lights, and I love the warmth of houses lit up from within. But mostly at this time of year I just like to nap.

Saturday I did my country loop and dropped off presents and visited with SIL a while. Yesterday I did odds and ends... and over the course of the weekend I watched the new movie Wild Mountain Thyme on-demand three times. It is such a frustrating mess, frustrating because there are some really good performances in it that are wasted on a script that makes no sense. But I do feel like I spent the weekend in Ireland, where it was filmed, so there's that.

Plans for this week... to not let my shortimers show too much today and tomorrow. I decided to bake a couple things to take with me, little mincemeat pies for sure and I was thinking about sugar cookies as well. I have the basics to make them but of course the grocery store was totally out of anything needed to sparkle them up a bit. I also got a little fruitcake (we grew up with them and both my SIS and I actually do like them... really good ones) so for three people we don't need cookies, but I am in the mood. I'll probably take the 9:10am ferry on Wednesday which will put me in OC around lunch time, so I'll need to figure that out.

I started taking my thyroid meds this morning, the headache isn't 100% gone, but over the weekend my feet really started to bother me and that's linked to the thyroid so I didn't want to wait any longer. I'm hoping that taking them two days before the holiday will help to feel better... I do want to get a couple beach walks in, even if it is wet blustery weather.

This time of year is fun-Christmas, football games-when the Super Bowl is over all of a sudden there’s a hole in our Sundays! My friends and I would make plans every couple weeks to get together during the winter, but that will not be the case this year, so we will be still planning Zooms.
This year I will really make the effort to cook some new and healthy meals, get out for my walk and keep in touch with friends and family by phone. We still go to the beach because it’s a whole different town off season and it’s nice.

Well Christmas 2020 is turning into put on a happy face and fake it once again.
I wanted to put up most of the decorations the day after Thanksgiving. Still can't get 15 year old to help get the cleaning done and 90% of what I need done explained to 13 year old who will at least help by following simple directions. Bring me the broom and dust pan, take the dishes to the kitchen, ect.
I wanted to be able to do some holiday baking but have nothing done because still working on the cleaning.
I managed to overdue it so much yesterday that I am still in pain today and have to do some more because I am getting little to no help. DH is helping by getting dishes done but I can't even get a certain child of mine to put them away. It has turned into what is her excuse today for not helping. I feel that I could pay her a million dollars an hour and she still wouldn't help me because why should she help me especially since getting things clean means that I will put up the decorations that she thinks are ugly and stupid.
Honestly if it wasn't for 13 year old I would cancel Christmas in this house.
We would stil have Christmas eve with mother and father in law. This is going to be simple as I am picking up a meat, cheese, and cracker tray and Mother in law is going to do something to go with it in the snacks department. We plan on the girls opening their presents from DH side, a little visiting, and maybe playing some board games or watching a movie. The plan is to go look at lights after leaving their house including the illuminaries that are only out on Christmas Eve.
We would still have a Christmas Celebration with my parents and siblings and their families which this year is going to be the day after Christmas. Plan is to open gifts in the early afternoon and then have smoked brisket as the main dish in the early afternoon.
I thought that I was all done with Christmas shopping but the package for a great nephew which was supposed to arrive on Friday and was even on the truck for delivery was marked as delivered but never showed. At least the store I ordered from issued me a refund immediately and is marking it as lost. DH is going to need to stop and pick up some items in the price range we are spending on all the nieces and nephews inclduding the greats at the store tomorrow when he is out and about. He has to renew his driver's license by his birthday in the first part of January so has an appointment tomorrow. At least he wil be able to get a real ID so when it takes effect if we ever have the money he can fly. I will have to renew my passport from when I was in high school and was supposed to go to Europe with a group except I got removed at the last minute when a girl from a weathy family decided she wanted to go and since my family had the least amount of money and thus clout guess who lost her space-me.
The cost of a real ID is your license fees plus $25 if gotten within 6 months before your license expires or if you let it expire which means you can't drive legally 3 months after that date other wise it is $50 plus the cost of renewing your license if you don't have one because it expired or a replacement if you have yours. Natually they started issuing real IDs here in mid January of last year and I had to renew my license the end of May of 2019 so would have to pay the higher amount. It is cheaper for me to get another passport by the time I would have paid for my license, pay the real ID fees, and pay the license replacement fee. Not that I have money to travel anyways nor with the mask requirement that I want to I am staying close to home with the occasional trip to a resort town about an hour away which is just outside a wilderness area so lots of portapotties to use and places to go for walks and pretty drives and stuff. We pack a lunch in the cooler and put it in the bed of the truck and are set to go on a get out of the house and have a nice time socially distanced avoid people fun time adventure.
Teenage girls can be difficult, that’s for sure. Maybe your husband could talk to her?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter