Dec. 1-5 or Dec. 15-19?

Alabama Minnie

DIS Veteran
Originally planned for Dec. 8-12 but am now afraid there will be NO room-only discounts that week.

Which week is less crowded the week after Thanksgiving or the week before Xmas?

I think either of these weeks will be included in the discounts.
Thanks!

The first week of December has traditionally been a low attendance time. The other week is also, but the 1st week is better. We usually go then (and are booked this year). Happy planning!

You need to check when Pop Warner is and try to avoid that time. *I* would go later myself, closer to Christmas.

Thanks, I am leaning towards the first week but I just hate that I have already missed the dining reservations.
I didn't realize that Pop Warner was going to be there the week of the 8th. I guess that's the reason for no discounts?
I just want to stay at WL and want a discount.

We picked the week before Christmas. It's a surprise Christmas present so I wanted it to be as close to Christmas as possible.:goodvibes
We're going the 14th to 23rd. The crowd calendars don't look too bad but I'm going with touring plans for once.
Also, I saw so many threads with people complaining how busy the first 2 weeks of December were last year that I don't think it makes a huge difference anymore.
We'll be at Wilderness Lodge too.:)
I have a free dining pin that covers the first week and the third week and there's insider knowledge talk on the codes and rates board that it's going to go public if that interests you at all. We rented points so I won't be using it.
For the 14th my ADR date is this Thursday:). So you still have time if you book the third week!

Thanks, I am leaning towards the first week but I just hate that I have already missed the dining reservations.
I didn't realize that Pop Warner was going to be there the week of the 8th. I guess that's the reason for no discounts?
I just want to stay at WL and want a discount.

Correct. Pop Warner will be there the week of the 8th and their week has always been blacked out for any kind of discount.

I would say if you go the first week, crowds will be slightly better and you have a better chance at warmer weather. You may have some residual crowds from Thanksgiving in the early part of your trip. Also, it wasn't mentioned in your dates, but I'd avoid the weekend of the 7th due to the Christmas parade taping at MK.

First week of December is really hard to get reservations. There has been a lot of discussion about this in various places on the boards. I've been paying attention as I am going that week. I have never had so much trouble getting reservations at 180 days.

That being said, it costs nothing to change a reservation. If you are leaning towards the first week, book it and go for your ADRs. If you aren't getting what you want you can move to the week before Christmas quickly enough to get ADRs for that week at 180 days.

Good luck! :goodvibes

I have been 4 times at Xmas but never during Pop Warner. I do remember always getting a discount though so our trips must not have been during PW.

I will be disappointed not to go to Ohana or BOG but I have been lucky enough to go to each before. I really just need the WL discount.

I think the first week would be a great way to start the Xmas season.:)

I have been 4 times at Xmas but never during Pop Warner. I do remember always getting a discount though so our trips must not have been during PW.

I will be disappointed not to go to Ohana or BOG but I have been lucky enough to go to each before. I really just need the WL discount.

I think the first week would be a great way to start the Xmas season.:)

We think so too! I think there is a good chance for RO discounts if you are staying Mod or Deluxe.

First week of December is really hard to get reservations. There has been a lot of discussion about this in various places on the boards. I've been paying attention as I am going that week. I have never had so much trouble getting reservations at 180 days.

That being said, it costs nothing to change a reservation. If you are leaning towards the first week, book it and go for your ADRs. If you aren't getting what you want you can move to the week before Christmas quickly enough to get ADRs for that week at 180 days.

Good luck! :goodvibes

Yes, what in the world is going on that week?! It's making me nervous as that's our time too!

Yes, what in the world is going on that week?! It's making me nervous as that's our time too!

Thanksgiving is late this year, so the first week of December coincides with the week after Thanksgiving. I'm think a lot of people's annual trips are overlapping that time of year because the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas is essentially a week shorter than usual with Thanksgiving falling so late. Only thing I can think of...

Thanksgiving is late this year, so the first week of December coincides with the week after Thanksgiving. I'm think a lot of people's annual trips are overlapping that time of year because the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas is essentially a week shorter than usual with Thanksgiving falling so late. Only thing I can think of...

Well we would typically go the second week of December, but this year that falls during Pop Warner time so we moved our trip up by a week. Hopefully the ADR system isn't a huge indication of crowds.

I have gone the week after Thanksgiving almost every year since 2000.

It has been getting steadily busier each year; especially after the Travel Channel did a special called "Disney on a Dime" and declared it one of the best bang for your buck weeks of the year.

Then discounts started getting released. I remember in 2010, on a solo trip, the check-in line on Saturday was around the check-in area and wound around the lobby all the way to the front doors. It took us almost an hour to check-in. Attractions had longer waits than usual.

In 2011, we had free dining and barely waited no more than ten minutes to check-in. We only had one very busy evening; the rest of the attraction times were fairly spot on, except for the most popular.

I think the secret's out that it is a good time to go.

I think the secret's out that it is a good time to go.

If last years "Oh my gosh it is so busy today!!!!" threads from December are any indication, then yep.. secret is out. Same for the last week of August. It *was* a very good time to go and has gotten steadily busier every year that I've been going. I almost feel bad when I see someone give advice to a poster about early December or late August because people end up going with unrealistic expectations and they end up unhappy. A little warning goes a long way. They go expecting crowds and are pleasantly surprised that it's still manageable.

Hmm, when we went in 2011 the second week hardly anyone was in the parks. We booked the first week of December this year expecting the same. I'm definitely sad about this as we aren't crowd-type people. I will have to warn my family and just set my expectations differently. I really don't want this to spoil our fun. I've already been frustrated by ADRs (finally worked up a plan I'm happy with -- yahoo!) and just want to have a good time.

Any tips for handling the crowds as I reset my expectations?

Hmm, when we went in 2011 the second week hardly anyone was in the parks. We booked the first week of December this year expecting the same. I'm definitely sad about this as we aren't crowd-type people. I will have to warn my family and just set my expectations differently. I really don't want this to spoil our fun. I've already been frustrated by ADRs (finally worked up a plan I'm happy with -- yahoo!) and just want to have a good time.

Any tips for handling the crowds as I reset my expectations?

And when I ask for tips, keep in mind we already have our entire schedule in place so we're not adjusting when we arrive or leave the parks. But I'd love just general ideas on how to not get stressed with crowds or how to maneuver around it all.

I wouldn't expect it to be considerably busier than last year, but you might notice an uptick in crowd levels. I honestly think it has to do with the shortened time between holidays this year, and with Pop Warner falling a week later, perhaps many people booked the first week in hopes of avoiding it.

I wouldn't expect it to be considerably busier than last year, but you might notice an uptick in crowd levels. I honestly think it has to do with the shortened time between holidays this year, and with Pop Warner falling a week later, perhaps many people booked the first week in hopes of avoiding it.

Thanks! You make me feel better. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter