Debt Dumpers - 2018

DH and I stayed at POFQ on his first Disney trip. We really liked it. The theming is great. We liked the quick serve breakfast a lot. The bus rides were longer than I was used to, but since we didn't run back and forth from the room, it wasn't so bad. But when we bought into DVC at Poly, being on the monorail was a huge seller for DH. This is also why we have decided our next contract will be at Grand Floridian instead of Wilderness Lodge. He is less patient with the mass transit than me I guess.

Thanks! Yeah, mass transit doesn't bother us much, especially after staying at AKL and it takes forever to get just about anywhere. We would probably actually have our car when staying at PO though, so the buses shouldn't matter one way or another if that ends up happening.

How often do y'all change car insurance companies? Our insurance is up in July and right now we pay $300/month for liability on the truck and full coverage on the Kia. It may go down once it's time to renew, as the total cost will be divided lver a full 12 months, but it tripled when I added the kia to it. I'm wondering if we could get that down some.

I've had State Farm ever since I first started driving. I pay $42/month but my car is old and not worth much so I don't have full coverage.

How often do y'all change car insurance companies? Our insurance is up in July and right now we pay $300/month for liability on the truck and full coverage on the Kia. It may go down once it's time to renew, as the total cost will be divided lver a full 12 months, but it tripled when I added the kia to it. I'm wondering if we could get that down some.

I had State Farm for 20 years from when I first started driving until a few years ago. They eventually irritated me enough with bad service policies that I dropped them and went to Liberty Mutual. Stayed there a couple of years, switched to 21st Century for a lower rate (about 1/2 what LM wanted to raise my rate to). Switched a couple years later to Progressive for same reason, and then switched to Nationwide about a year ago to have auto and homeowners through the same company. Cost was about the same. Though, now I've changed homeowners insurance, so ...

All of the policies I have had were 6 month policies. So, usually about 2 months before it is due, I surf through and just check rates on different companies. If I can save a significant amount (~25% or more) I'll call my current company and ask for a better rate. Otherwise, I switch. But, unless I'm either getting bad service or will save a lot, I don't find it worthwhile to change companies, normally.

My goal was to pay off my student loans as quickly as possible after graduation. Graduated in May 2015 and am about 25k down with 35k left. Since moving out of my parents', I can't put as much extra towards it each month which is upsetting but I guess such is life.

My fiance and I are looking for a new apartment for when our lease is up in July and found a place that gives us everything we want and would make everyday life so much easier with the amenities it offers, but would be a little more than what we're paying now. We can afford it, but it's so hard not to think that 'hey, that extra money each month could be going towards my loans or saving to buy a place!' I know the dog park for our pup and in unit laundry (instead of driving back home every 2-3 weeks) will be amazing in the end but still!

My goal was to pay off my student loans as quickly as possible after graduation. Graduated in May 2015 and am about 25k down with 35k left. Since moving out of my parents', I can't put as much extra towards it each month which is upsetting but I guess such is life.

My fiance and I are looking for a new apartment for when our lease is up in July and found a place that gives us everything we want and would make everyday life so much easier with the amenities it offers, but would be a little more than what we're paying now. We can afford it, but it's so hard not to think that 'hey, that extra money each month could be going towards my loans or saving to buy a place!' I know the dog park for our pup and in unit laundry (instead of driving back home every 2-3 weeks) will be amazing in the end but still!

An in unit laundry will probably save you money. And if the amenities make things easier, it might also have some money saving side effects. Just keep chugging along and you will reach your goals!

Our goal this weekend is to get our travel trailer spiffed up and listed locally for sale. That'll be a HUGE sigh of relief when it sells. And we are listing low to move it. I don't have time to haggle or mess with tire kickers.
I'm very interested in hearing how it goes. We have a travel trailer I've asked DH a few times how long he intends to keep it. We've outgrown it and don't use it nearly as much. We got it when the kids were tiny.

All this Disney trip talk is making me jealous! Lol. My sister and her family are headed down there today.
Payday today for both of us, one of the few times they align on the same day (every two weeks vs twice a month). Going to pay off one CC (less than $1000 on there) and make a huge dent on the one with the Hamilton tickets. I’m heading to San Diego end of next week for work and since I’ll be working probably 11-12hour days both weekend days, I should get some nice overtime. I want to buy a new grill. Old one broke last year and we didn’t replace it but I missed having one last summer. So did DS15, he’s been bugging us to get a new one. Maybe it’s time to teach him how to grill. (Yes, my kids need to learn a little more in the area of basic cooking skills).

I started using Progressive when DH and I got married in 2015, not sure how long he'd had them before then. I thought last year it seemed a little high so I shopped around and found that Geico was $25 lower each month with the same coverage.
We have GEICO too. We switched from AAA when ds21 first began driving. We pay around $2200 for a 6 month policy but that's for 3 vehicles, full coverage that includes income continuation if we're injured by car accident. We'll drop that income coverage in a few years but for now it gives us peace of mind. Disability ins through work is not at 100% of our pay so if we're injured I don't want to have to worry about bills on top of hospital/dr bills.

I would shop around @tigerlilly. Ours works out to $69 biweekly for ds21 (2013 Corolla) and 91 biweekly for dh and I (2011 Silverado+2006 Sienna) No accidents in 15+ years.

Getting prices from other companies will either confirm you are paying a typical amount or you'll get a better deal! It's a win-win.

All this Disney trip talk is making me jealous! Lol. My sister and her family are headed down there today.
Payday today for both of us, one of the few times they align on the same day (every two weeks vs twice a month). Going to pay off one CC (less than $1000 on there) and make a huge dent on the one with the Hamilton tickets. I’m heading to San Diego end of next week for work and since I’ll be working probably 11-12hour days both weekend days, I should get some nice overtime. I want to buy a new grill. Old one broke last year and we didn’t replace it but I missed having one last summer. So did DS15, he’s been bugging us to get a new one. Maybe it’s time to teach him how to grill. (Yes, my kids need to learn a little more in the area of basic cooking skills).

We got a Weber 3 years ago and really love it. I wasn't the cheapest, but I did get a deal through coupons/discounted gift cards/cash back portal. My hope is that it will last a long time. I can't wait until it gets a bit warmer and we can start grilling on he regular again. DH loves the grill

We've grilled the last couple days since it has been high 70s and low 80s out. If the rain holds off enough today, I might try grilling the rack of ribs I picked up on clearance for $5 the other day.

My dad said he had a bunch of stuff to add to my yard sale in a few weeks and since I'll be doing all the work, I can split the profits with him. Pretty excited since that will give us extra vacation funds I wasn't planning on.

We've grilled the last couple days since it has been high 70s and low 80s out. If the rain holds off enough today, I might try grilling the rack of ribs I picked up on clearance for $5 the other day.

My dad said he had a bunch of stuff to add to my yard sale in a few weeks and since I'll be doing all the work, I can split the profits with him. Pretty excited since that will give us extra vacation funds I wasn't planning on.

My parents have been going through all their things and packing stuff up to move to Texas once their house is finished. We had a garage sale last year and my parents let me keep all the proceeds to put towards baby expenses. It was so very helpful. The year before we had another sale and that money went towards DH’s green card application. My parents would have likely just donated it all anyways. And it was so very helpful for us. The stuff that didn’t sell (quite a bit) did get donated and I am sure they got a nice write off.

Wow--moving to Texas! Is the warmer weather calling them there? I bet you will miss having them closer by with your new little baby here. But of course, planes make visiting fast and easy these days, and you will have somewhere warmer to visit and stay, too.

We got a Weber 3 years ago and really love it. I wasn't the cheapest, but I did get a deal through coupons/discounted gift cards/cash back portal. My hope is that it will last a long time. I can't wait until it gets a bit warmer and we can start grilling on he regular again. DH loves the grill
We have gone through three grills in the last 6-7 years so I do want to get a good one this time and I know it won't be cheap.

My husband and I just bought this grill https://www.lowes.com/pd/Char-Broil...opane-Gas-Grill-with-1-Side-Burner/1000169853 from Lowe's a few weeks ago. My husband is very much into researching things before he buys them. He wanted this particular grill because it's designed like the Weber's, but without the Weber price tag. Something along the lines of the way the grates are setup it's basically like having a Weber grill, also the lid has some weight to it (which I guess is an issue with cheaper grills, not enough weight to keep the hot air inside). Just thought i'd throw it out there for those of you looking into a new grill. :)

Happy Friday!

My husband and I just bought this grill https://www.lowes.com/pd/Char-Broil...opane-Gas-Grill-with-1-Side-Burner/1000169853 from Lowe's a few weeks ago. My husband is very much into researching things before he buys them. He wanted this particular grill because it's designed like the Weber's, but without the Weber price tag. Something along the lines of the way the grates are setup it's basically like having a Weber grill, also the lid has some weight to it (which I guess is an issue with cheaper grills, not enough weight to keep the hot air inside). Just thought i'd throw it out there for those of you looking into a new grill. :)

Happy Friday!
Thanks. That looks similar to what we’ve had in the past and they just don’t seem to hold up very well. I’m thinking about a Weber or something else closer to the $500 range that hopefully will stick it out!

Thanks. That looks similar to what we’ve had in the past and they just don’t seem to hold up very well. I’m thinking about a Weber or something else closer to the $500 range that hopefully will stick it out!

Weber is the way to go. The first one we bought when we got married in 2001 (Genesis Silver A) lasted 14 years! We got a new one, another Genesis, when we moved again in 2015 and we use it at least 3x/week year round (southern CA...always grilling weather). It still looks brand new on the outside. I do need to replace the grill grates ($69) and flavorizer bars ($39), but that's pretty standard after 3 years of heavy use. If you opt for stainless steel grates, they will last longer especially in a rainy climate (the ceramic coated iron ones eventually rust).

I'm very interested in hearing how it goes. We have a travel trailer I've asked DH a few times how long he intends to keep it. We've outgrown it and don't use it nearly as much. We got it when the kids were tiny.
I'll let you know!
We have GEICO too. We switched from AAA when ds21 first began driving. We pay around $2200 for a 6 month policy but that's for 3 vehicles, full coverage that includes income continuation if we're injured by car accident. We'll drop that income coverage in a few years but for now it gives us peace of mind. Disability ins through work is not at 100% of our pay so if we're injured I don't want to have to worry about bills on top of hospital/dr bills.

I would shop around @tigerlilly. Ours works out to $69 biweekly for ds21 (2013 Corolla) and 91 biweekly for dh and I (2011 Silverado+2006 Sienna) No accidents in 15+ years.

Getting prices from other companies will either confirm you are paying a typical amount or you'll get a better deal! It's a win-win.
This is the DH's job and he's really good at it. He will get a few quotes, then circle back around to see if anyone will drop. We have older cars too, but carry higher liability because we had a friend who was sued and it was sad to watch.
Also a Weber owner for 3 years! This is the first one that has stood up to our penchant for BBQing. We have a covered patio and I even BBQ in the winter. :goodvibes

GREAT news on the DH's brakes! A coworker offered to do the work for $100, as long as we buy the parts. So instead of $400-$600, we are taking him $360 and a six-pack of beer.

Wow--moving to Texas! Is the warmer weather calling them there? I bet you will miss having them closer by with your new little baby here. But of course, planes make visiting fast and easy these days, and you will have somewhere warmer to visit and stay, too.

They are building this house with the plan to retire there. My dad doesn't actually plan to retire for several more years, but my mom is really sick of the winter weather and will probably be down in Texas the second the house is completed. My parents are in the process of selling their condo in Chicago, but they won't sell their house outside of Chicago until my dad finally retires, since he will still be working. Though my mom said that my dad doesn't want to sell the house because he wants to be closer to his granddaughter. It is still a 6+ hour drive from my house to theirs, so I think at that point, they should just buy something smaller in Michigan if they want to be close.

@Eureka We got the Weber Genesis E-310. I forget exactly how much exaclty we ended up paying, but I know it was less than $500. It retails for $850. It seems this exact model was discontinued, but they have a newer version called the Genesis II E-310 that looks mostly the same. We really love the grill. We used it last summer during our baby shower. The guys all went into the backyard and grilled everything up. It did an awesome job cooking up food for about 30 people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter