• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Debating on buy a new home

Shelly F - Ohio

Disney Extraordinaire
We have found a house in a city we like at a price we like. I am just scared to go through with it.
The house has everything we want and only need minor stuff done before we would move in. 3 rooms have light colored carpet and I would prefer something different. All of the rooms except one are painted a light gray the other is green and I hate the color green. So one room would needed painted. It does not have a fireplace and most home do which we don't want. It is not have an HOA fee. Smaller yard than what we currently have.

We owe our current home but we do have a $30K equity loan. So make a double mortgage payment till our current home sells is not an issue.

The new home is 45 minutes from our current one and in a semi country setting. The city has over the past 10 yrs has grown. They have all the amenities you would need for living in the country ie: Walmart, Target, Home Depot, Lowes, big name restaurants, ect. The commute to work will be about 10 to 15 minutes longer for us. We currently carpool since I work 2 blocks from my husband.

I guess I am nervous because of the work that goes into moving ie: packing and so forth. Having to find a new vet for our cats. Wondering how they will adjust to a new home.
But our current home is in a location we don't like. There is a kid on our street who is bad news and currently in prision for the next 2 1/2 yrs. for dealing drugs and burglary. His parents house has been in foreclosure since 2007! Yes for 10 yrs we have been hoping they would have been foreclosed on. They told a neighbor they have not made a house payment in last 6 yrs! They only make one to keep from being foreclosed on. The dad and mother work for a lawyer that his sister works for.
The good think is that houses all around us are selling at a high rate of speed. The house behind us sold in 90 days, a house on our street sold in 4 days. 3 other houses in less than a mile sold in less then a month. So hopefully ours will sell quickly.

I am just nervous about the whole thing. Should we do it or not.
Anyone have any advise to share?

Bad neighbors are a nightmare. If houses are being sold around you, they may be foreclosures as well and/or will be flipped for rentals, which will drive your property value down so selling now might be a good idea.

I'd take a lot of time to check out your neighbors all around you at your new house—at least a full block around your house, don't forget to check out the neighbors behind your house! Use census data and property records and knock on doors to find out if the neighbors are primarily owners, and you'll get a feel for the neighborhood. Trust your gut. No HOA is fantastic, because if the neighborhood is kept up, people are keeping things nice because of pride of ownership, not HOA police.

Today marks 1 year from when we purchased our new home and its the best decision we made. I was nervous at first to make such a big change with a 10 year old, a new dog and adding time to my commute but was totally worth it. Do it, especially if you can make some money from it.

We moved 10 years ago from a neighborhood to a smaller "country" neighborhood. Went from 1/2 acre to 1 1/2 acres. It's a lot of work to move, we hired a local company and it was pretty reasonable. DD was 12 and stayed in the same school which was my concern...that and a higher mortgage! It was worth it and we were lucky that our old house sold in 3 weeks during a recession in our area. We were fortunate in knowing several people in the new area to ask about any issues, all the houses were kept up and still are. Our older neighborhood was changing as the older folks moved out and new ones moved in who didn't care what their property looked like, we live in a city that keeps an eye on that but it was still changing. Sounds like your house would sell fast so I would do it.

I've moved across country twice. First time from NJ to California when I was single and moving with my boyfriend/fiancée. The second time is recent, from California to Georgia. Now married with a 12 year old daughter. Most of the concern about the move was for our daughter. Leaving the only home she's ever known, school and friends. But we knew it was the best thing for our family. My husband moved to Georgia in January 2016 and I stayed in California until our daughter finished the school year. I handled just about everything on the California end for selling the home. Getting it ready, finding a realtor, packing, etc. We had all went to GA before the move to look at homes and neighborhoods and pretty much decided where we wanted to live. My husband would go to all the houses that went up for sale until we found "the one." What was stressful was buying GA home and not selling California home. Thankfully, our house sold in 3 days. Why don't you get some realtors out to your home (at least three) and get their opinions/advice? Ask how the market is. Is now a good time to sell or should we wait? Holidays are right around the corner. I wouldn't sweat over the small stuff (what I consider small stuff...finding vet, packing). It will all fall into place if that's what you decide to do.

Bad neighbors are a nightmare. If houses are being sold around you, they may be foreclosures as well and/or will be flipped for rentals, which will drive your property value down so selling now might be a good idea.

I'd take a lot of time to check out your neighbors all around you at your new house—at least a full block around your house, don't forget to check out the neighbors behind your house! Use census data and property records and knock on doors to find out if the neighbors are primarily owners, and you'll get a feel for the neighborhood. Trust your gut. No HOA is fantastic, because if the neighborhood is kept up, people are keeping things nice because of pride of ownership, not HOA police.
I work for the Inspector General office and I do background checks everyday. I know how to do to background that don't involve using government resources to spy on neighbors. That is next on my list

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter