Death on Tower of Terror

Status
Not open for further replies.

TLHB70

DIS Veteran
My family just got home Saturday night from a wonderful week at WDW. We had a great trip..............aww.............I am missing it so much!
Well, last night our friends asked us to go have dinner with them because they wanted to hear about our trip. My friend asked my girls what ride did they enjoy most. My youngest DD replied, "Tower of Terror and Expedition Everest." My friend's daughter then said to my DD," Do you know that someone died on that ride? I can't believe you ride it." I said, "No one died on that ride. The person died on Rock N Roller coaster." My friend then interrupted me. "Uh huh. Someone did die on Tower of Terror." I said, "I don't think so. Are you sure?" She then called to the end of the table, to her husband who was talking to my husband. She said, "Honey, didn't someone die on Tower of Terror?" He said yes. They have only been to MK. They have never been to any other park. They don't even know what Tower of Terror is. When I questioned the husband about it, he said that it happened not too long ago. I brought up the deaths on Mission Space, the water park and Rock N Roller coaster. He insists that someone died on Tower of Terror.
Here is the question. I honestly don't know of a death on this ride. I am a Disney fan and an active member of these boards. I thought I would know if something like this happened. Maybe it did happen and I don't know about it or remember it. So tell me if it is true. Did someone die on Tower of Terror?
Oh, one more thing. I know that when the Rock N Roller coaster death happened there were many threads here about it. Someone had posted a link to a web site that listed all of the deaths/accidents in the parks. If someone has that, will you list it here. If indeed there was no death on Tower of Terror, I want to send the link to my friend to prove it.
Thanks!

*Oh yes, I did later let the friends know that my two DDs also rode Rock N Roller coaster. They rode all of the thrill rides, except Mission Space. I know that my friends think I am a crazy person for this. I could tell. :bitelip:

There was a teenage girl from the UK that was ill after riding TOT - she went to the hospital and was in serious condition but I think she ended up being ok. I don't think she died.

July 12, 2005, a British teen-ager had a heart attack, but it doesn't say anything about a death on the ride.

Google Tower of Terror death

The British girl had pre-existing conditions and suffered a heart attack on the ride, she was taken to the hospital and eventullay released to return home. It was not a ride malfunction nor was it the fault of Disney, it was an unfortunate situation where she did not know she had a condition. It is sad that your friends are hesitant to ride the ride. I would not alter my decision to ride a ride unless it was something that was caused by the ride, which it was not.

momof2minnies said:
No she did die and it was related to a congenital cardiac problem that was previously undetected.
Not according to the news clips I read, she was released and went home.

Another way people try to get us Disney Lovers Unaddicted! :sad2:

Its not going to work people. It's not going to work! :banana: :wizard:

Thanks guys. I guess I should have googled it before posting here. I am just so surprised that I didn't know about this one. It happened after the little boy on Mission Space. I knew about that one. I never knew about the Tower of Terror incident.
From what I can tell in the articles I read, the girl lived. Her heart did stop beating, but apparently she recovered.
Now......................I have to figure out if I should send the article to my friend to say, "No. The person didn't die." or leave it alone. I guess I will leave it alone. I guess if they don't get why we love it then it is pointless. I guess if I send the article she could point out, "See someone did get hurt on the ride." Well, ToT is a favorite in our house!!!!!

Does this friend fly in an airplane, ride in a car, ride a train/subway, do anything that someone else has died while doing? :rolleyes: The most tragic Disney deaths for me were the ones involving BTMRR at Disneyland in California, which was caused by malfunctioning equipment. Now, that would make me think twice about going on a certain ride.

I thought I also read about this incident that the girl rode the attraction several times over again before falling ill.

Schmeck said:
Does this friend fly in an airplane, ride in a car, ride a train/subway, do anything that someone else has died while doing? :rolleyes: The most tragic Disney deaths for me were the ones involving BTMRR at Disneyland in California, which was caused by malfunctioning equipment. Now, that would make me think twice about going on a certain ride.

Yes. As a matter of fact, they are originally from Tampa and frequent Busch Gardens. She has told me about some huge roller coaster there that they have done. I am surprised that they seem to think that is ok, but the Disney rides where deaths have occurred are not. I understand wanting to protect your children, I really do. I just agree that accidents can happen anywhere.

It was Tower of Terror, not Mission: Space. The British teen did have a pre-existing heart condition that had gone undiagnosed. She lived.

The Mission: Space incident was a very young boy, who also had a pre-existing condition that took a great deal of 'looking' to find (2 autopsy reports were issued). It was a horribly tragic event.

Neither incident was linked to ride malfunction.

Amazing how easy it is to confuse things, isn't it? ;)

Tower of Terror is a great ride, lot's of extra details, but I don't think it's any more intense then some of the rides you would see at a local carnival. My four year old son went on it. I just don't see where it could be life threatening anyway. Let your friend know that besides the fact that there haven't been any deaths on it, it's not as bad as it may sound anyway. :)

TLHB70, I would let it slide and not mention it to the friend again. Bottom line is they don't actually care whether they are right or wrong. The facts won't modify thier behavior nor will it yours.

BTW, welcome back! Any trip report posted yet? Yanno... the Panthers were winning while you were away; you may just have to go back for another vacation right away so they continue winning :teeth:

The Tower of Terror seemed so different from the first time I experienced it in '97. I know the ride had that random drop sequence added, but did they also tame down the speed of the drop? It just didn't seem scary, like I remembered. I can't imagine it causing anyone to die (except out of boredom maybe JK). Another change I noticed was it has seatbelts now instead of that metal bar. I dunno, any ToT experts out there that can confirm it was tamed down over the years?

Zippa D Doodah said:
TLHB70, I would let it slide and not mention it to the friend again. Bottom line is they don't actually care whether they are right or wrong. The facts won't modify thier behavior nor will it yours.

BTW, welcome back! Any trip report posted yet? Yanno... the Panthers were winning while you were away; you may just have to go back for another vacation right away so they continue winning :teeth:
:wave2:
You are right. I definitely have decided to let it slide. You are right that it will not modify behavior on either side's part.

I haven't posted a trip report yet. I am still catching up on clothes. :rolleyes1 I will try to get a report up soon.........I hope.

BTW,
I did know about the Panthers. It is funny that the subject was mentioned on this thread in particular. We went to MGM our first full day, Sunday, because that is DH's and DDs' favorite park. I was dying about missing the game. I kept my eye on my watch the whole time, waiting for the game to end. At 4 PM on the dot my girls and DH were on TOWER OF TERROR (for the second or third time, I might add). I was sitting outside waiting for them on a bench. I called my friend that is a huge fan like me. She told me that she couldn't believe I was calling because Kasay was about to kick the winning field goal. She said that they were in time out at the moment. (The Bucs had called it to "ice" him.) So I held on the phone and listened. I got to hear the cheers and listen to the winning points being made! When DH and DDs came off the ride I was able to give them the news. We made it home in time to see the Saints game on TV. YEAH!!
We will be at the game Sunday. Go Panthers!

You know, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that every Disney ride has had at least one fatality--and not necessarily due to the ride. I would imaginee ill health or just plain stupidity would be the major causes.

brendrek said:
The Tower of Terror seemed so different from the first time I experienced it in '97. I know the ride had that random drop sequence added, but did they also tame down the speed of the drop? It just didn't seem scary, like I remembered. I can't imagine it causing anyone to die (except out of boredom maybe JK). Another change I noticed was it has seatbelts now instead of that metal bar. I dunno, any ToT experts out there that can confirm it was tamed down over the years?

I thought it was better before too. The addition of the seatbelts did make it a little less squirrely. Before, the bar only came down as far as the biggest person in your row....so if you were smaller, BOY did you get airborne!! I was bucking the first time I rode!! I was holding my camcorder, so I wasn't hanging on. Definitely the wildest ride ever!! :scared1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter