• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DDW does Disneyland! - 6/28 Complete w/ Grand Finale of WDW Food Photos!

You are making me homesick :sad: Great Reviews! I love the pics.

I was born in OC and left in 1999 (for college). I haven't been back for a visit since 2010. Although I have visited SoCal about 4 times since it opened, I have never been to California Adventure since it opened after I left, and I just never had the time/money when we are there.

My BFF has been to Club 33 several times...and I am soooo jealous. She must have connections.:rotfl2: (I am also jealous that she has an annual pass...but I have been to WDW three times and she has never been...so I guess we are even :lmao:)

Another AWESOME update! Not to mention another solid lunch choice at one of my favorites! (Ok, so I was completely wrong in my guess!)

Hungry Bear was still a good guess! I said that my lunch was in a nearby land, which narrowed it down to somewhere in Critter Country or Frontierland. Hungry Bear was actually my second choice for lunch, and it's making an appearance soon. :)

I like that they will make a custom order at Rancho del Zocalo if you don't see anything you like on the menu. Did you see the dessert selections? (Tres leche cake is amazing!! Ask Linda67, we split one in April.)

I didn't know about the custom ordering - that's good to know! (I saw after ordering that veggies are available as a side instead of rice or beans - I'd like to try the veggies next time!).

As for tres leches cake, it's one of my favorite desserts! I was so tempted to get it at Rancho, but I passed in favor of something else. Now you've got me on a tres leches tangent. :rotfl: Citricos had an amazing version two years ago, served with wild strawberry and raspberry coulis, 8-year balsamic vinegar, and chocolate lace. Here's a pic - to this day, it's one of my favorite Disney desserts!

Your Mark Twain Riverboat photo with BTMRR in the background is awesome. :)

Thanks so much!

I have seen that tunnel and tracks on the other side of BTMRR (by the pond with the fake fish) but didn't know the history. Good to know....another DLR history lesson for me. ::yes::

Yeah, that tunnel definitely stood out when I walked by - it's pretty cool how it's actually the remnant of a past attraction!

Thanks for the heads up for the vintage Tiki Room brochures. I'll have to keep tuned in.
I hope you can make it to the event! It seems like a nice little bonus for AP holders. :goodvibes

Everything looks great! Rancho Del Zocalo is a personal favorite of mine. I always like the carne asada with enchiladas or the chicken sonora style burrito. They do such a good job at making a satisfying meal there. :goodvibes They also have the best tap water in the park there... Is it quirky that I noticed (or have an opinion at all)? :rotfl2:
I can definitely see why Rancho is a favorite of yours - it's such a beautiful place, with satisfying food. :thumbsup2 As for the tap water, that's an interesting observation! I might not have actually gotten a drink with my meal (my drink of choice is usually tap water), but I'll have to return there (for food, tres leches cake, and tap water!) whenever we make it back.

You are making me homesick :sad: Great Reviews! I love the pics.

I was born in OC and left in 1999 (for college). I haven't been back for a visit since 2010. Although I have visited SoCal about 4 times since it opened, I have never been to California Adventure since it opened after I left, and I just never had the time/money when we are there.

My BFF has been to Club 33 several times...and I am soooo jealous. She must have connections.:rotfl2: (I am also jealous that she has an annual pass...but I have been to WDW three times and she has never been...so I guess we are even :lmao:)
I'm so glad you're enjoying the reviews and pics! Sorry to hear you haven't made it back to SoCal for a while. I hope you can return to DL eventually to see DCA! Maybe your BFF could find a way to get you into Club 33 while you're there (wishful thinking, I know, but it could happen :goodvibes).

Just hopping in to say .... Yay for Tres Leches cake Brenda !!

Awesome updates again Mr DDW, you are really making me want to take another trip to DL :)

Sorry to hear about your APs expiring. At least you're getting one more magical day out of the passes - I'd love to hear how it went (although not right now, since I assume you're still enjoying yourselves!). :goodvibes

The one time I almost saw DL's fireworks, I was standing in the hub waiting for the show. It was insanely busy, so your viewing location sounds like a much better alternative (especially if you want to make it over to DCA afterwards). :thumbsup2

It sounds like the timing is tricky between the fireworks and World of Color. I really hope you get to see both! A stop at Cove Bar would be nice too, but obviously there's so much to see and do (and eat) that it wouldn't be possible to fit everything in. I'm sure you'll have a great time either way. :)

We had a great day. Didn't get there 'til about 3:30 and left about 11. Ate at Cove Bar (loved the Buffalo Wings and BBQ Chicken Pizza), saw "Magical" (and it was) and made it over to see WOC. I liked WOC but my DD13 said it was the best show she's seen. :wizard: We also had ice cream at Gibson Girl. Of course the only way we did this was to only do a few rides-but then that wasn't our focus. It was pretty busy but not as busy as it will be starting this Thursday when the local schools are out.

Great updates. The fish tacos looked yummy. I have only visited DLR once, many years ago. It's fun to see all the changes and improvements.

Just hopping in to say .... Yay for Tres Leches cake Brenda !!

Awesome updates again Mr DDW, you are really making me want to take another trip to DL :)
I hope you can go back soon! If you do, please save a piece of tres leches cake for me. :rotfl:

We had a great day. Didn't get there 'til about 3:30 and left about 11. Ate at Cove Bar (loved the Buffalo Wings and BBQ Chicken Pizza), saw "Magical" (and it was) and made it over to see WOC. I liked WOC but my DD13 said it was the best show she's seen. :wizard: We also had ice cream at Gibson Girl. Of course the only way we did this was to only do a few rides-but then that wasn't our focus. It was pretty busy but not as busy as it will be starting this Thursday when the local schools are out.
I'm glad you got to try Cove Bar and were able to fit in both Magical and World of Color! Sounds like a very productive afternoon, even if you didn't get on too many rides. :goodvibes

Great updates. The fish tacos looked yummy. I have only visited DLR once, many years ago. It's fun to see all the changes and improvements.
The improvements at DL are truly impressive - I'm glad you're enjoying reading about all the changes and the food! :)

As we continued making our way around Disneyland Park, we decided to visit a land that MK doesn't have. This land is the original home of a classic Disney attraction.

IMG_8595_zpsf817095d.jpg

In both of its US locations, Splash Mountain is on the western edge of the park (and it has some interesting neighbors in DL - you can see Haunted Mansion on the far left of this pic).

IMG_8578_zpsdbd76c46.jpg

However, Splash Mountain's original Disney home is Critter Country!

IMG_8356_zps656113af.jpg

The area used for Critter Country has served many other purposes in the past. It was originally Frontierland's "Indian Village" from 1956 to 1971, and then it became Bear Country in 1972 (with the opening of Country Bear Jamboree). The arrival of Splash Mountain in 1989 converted the land into Critter Country, and in 2001 the Country Bear Jamboree closed for good. For such a small land, this place has seen several changes!

IMG_8364_zps0d1daac7.jpg

One thing about DL's Splash Mountain is that seating is mostly single file (with the back row being a possible exception). Also, DL's ride has significantly more animatronics than the MK version, but that's because DL recycled many of them from a shuttered Tomorrowland attraction (America Sings). Personally, I prefer the MK version (when all the effects are working properly).

IMG_8585_zpsd866640e.jpg

Here's another interesting difference (to anyone who's ridden both attractions) - the soundtrack! MK's Splash Mountain (shown below) has a stronger country vibe, with banjos and harmonicas prominently in the background. Because of Splash Mountain's proximity to New Orleans Square, DL's soundtrack has more jazz influences.

IMG_0577_zps89e93c07.jpg

Critter Country has several other residents outside of the Splash Mountain gang. Ever since the Country Bears said goodbye, the land has been home to another popular bear...

IMG_8588_zps0bf49154.jpg

Yep, those iconic honey pots (or "hunny pots") can only mean one thing.

IMG_8589_zps5c76a595.jpg

Much like in WDW (where he evicted Mr. Toad from Fantasyland), Pooh is responsible for the Country Bears leaving DL. In both cases, I can understand the decision, since Pooh has more commercial appeal than the characters he replaced. Still, I find it slightly amusing that Br'er Fox and Br'er Bear reside in the same neighborhood as Tigger and Pooh. :lmao:

IMG_8590_zpsbfef4609.jpg

Critter Country has a few other draws - it's the boarding location for Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes, and it also has one of the strongest quick service locations in the park: Hungry Bear Restaurant. Here's the AllEars menu.

Hungry Bear has a tempting and unique menu. There's a fried green tomato sandwich that sounds absolutely fantastic, and it would've been my lunch choice if I hadn't been in the mood for fish tacos. Another great thing about this place is the view of the Rivers of America from the seating area. Here's the view from our table - it's amazing how rustic and peaceful this corner of the park is.

IMG_7021_zps3d52be64.jpg

Since we'd already had lunch, this was a dessert stop for me. Hungry Bear actually has two unique dessert options (including lattice-topped pies), but my choice was the Bumblebee Cupcake with lemon cream filling and honey-lemon frosting (clearly inspired by Winnie the Pooh).

First of all, this cupcake is absolutely adorable, and I love the individual bee on top. As for the cake itself, there was a refreshingly zesty lemon flavor throughout, which the filling enhanced. My one criticism would be that it had too much frosting. The frosting was thick and rich (it seemed to be cream cheese-based), and I actually scraped most of it off. Overall, this cupcake was fun to try (even though I wouldn't get it again). :thumbsup2

IMG_7022_zpsdd9744af.jpg

That's all I've got for Critter Country! I think this is a great little land, and it's nice to see the original home of Splash Mountain (a more thematically appropriate fit, IMO, than Frontierland). :goodvibes

I ate that delicious cupcake (less the chocolate bee) on Mother's Day! I loved the lemony filling but agree that the frosting is about 2 inches too thick.

Did you notice the heads of Max, Buff, and Melvin on the wall leaving the main Pooh blustery day scene? They are a nod to the original Country Bear Jamboree attraction. It's hard to get a photo of them unless you are sitting in the front row of the honey pot! I love that even on busy park days, this attraction is still a short wait. ;)

Wow that cupcake is massive! That frosting is ridiculous.

The thing about Disney World cupcakes is that the frosting looks high but it actually isn't because the cake part is raised higher.

I guess Disneyland cupcakes aren't like that!:)

I ate that delicious cupcake (less the chocolate bee) on Mother's Day! I loved the lemony filling but agree that the frosting is about 2 inches too thick.

Did you notice the heads of Max, Buff, and Melvin on the wall leaving the main Pooh blustery day scene? They are a nod to the original Country Bear Jamboree attraction. It's hard to get a photo of them unless you are sitting in the front row of the honey pot! I love that even on busy park days, this attraction is still a short wait. ;)
Nope, I actually didn't ride Pooh in Critter Country! But that would've been cool to see - apparently there's a similar Mr. Toad reference in the MK version of the attraction (where Mr. Toad hands over the deed of the building to Owl). :thumbsup2

Wow that cupcake is massive! That frosting is ridiculous.

The thing about Disney World cupcakes is that the frosting looks high but it actually isn't because the cake part is raised higher.

I guess Disneyland cupcakes aren't like that!:)
Agreed on the frosting - even most of the cupcakes in WDW have too much for me, so this was just too much. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who enjoy it as it comes, though. :goodvibes

Oh my, that cupcake looks just amazing. Admittedly (as already acknowledged) far too much frosting - I prefer a higher cake to frosting ratio on my cupcakes (with the exception of the red velvet cheesecake cupcake from Starring Rolls, which has just the right amount for that particular cake). Still, the cake is adorable and I just love the little bumblebee perched on top.

Oh my, that cupcake looks just amazing. Admittedly (as already acknowledged) far too much frosting - I prefer a higher cake to frosting ratio on my cupcakes (with the exception of the red velvet cheesecake cupcake from Starring Rolls, which has just the right amount for that particular cake). Still, the cake is adorable and I just love the little bumblebee perched on top.
Agreed - the presentation was great! Perfect frosting swirl, edible glitter, and a cute little bumblebee to top it off (the bee tasted great, too). :goodvibes

To anyone reading this - I hope you've enjoyed the recent updates from Disneyland Park! :goodvibes Before I get started on the next update, I wanted to ask a quick question (since there are two potential ways the report could go).

Our last food stop in Disneyland Park was a location on Main Street. It's another small update, but it'll have bonus pictures that are somewhat related. As you can see, I've been trying to keep my DL updates relatively organized, throwing in extra content based on the land where we ate. However, I also have pictures from the DL lands I haven't discussed yet (mostly Tomorrowland, but a few from Fantasyland and Toontown as well), even though we didn't actually eat there.

So here's my question to you: Would you like to see the non-food related pics (basically continuing the 'tour' of Disneyland Park), or should I skip ahead to the Main Street food update?

I'm thinking about going to Disneyland next year. I'd love to see the pics!! I love your reviews and pictures!

To anyone reading this - I hope you've enjoyed the recent updates from Disneyland Park! :goodvibes Before I get started on the next update, I wanted to ask a quick question (since there are two potential ways the report could go).

Our last food stop in Disneyland Park was a location on Main Street. It's another small update, but it'll have bonus pictures that are somewhat related. As you can see, I've been trying to keep my DL updates relatively organized, throwing in extra content based on the land where we ate. However, I also have pictures from the DL lands I haven't discussed yet (mostly Tomorrowland, but a few from Fantasyland and Toontown as well), even though we didn't actually eat there.

So here's my question to you: Would you like to see the non-food related pics (basically continuing the 'tour' of Disneyland Park), or should I skip ahead to the Main Street food update?

I'm in favor of seeing the bonus pics!

DDW, I personally am enjoying this pictorial tour of Disneyland - I vote that we see all the pics you have :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter