DDP really holds up the line!!!!!!

This has become a big problem for me at the resort food court. You go and get your food and then have to wait on a long line because of DDP. They have to go get something else, or change something for something else, or the cashier has to void the sale and re-ring it because some of it is on the plan and other things they are paying cash for all while your food is getting COLD!
I think a seperate line for DDP would be a great idea for everyone involved. The cashier could be somebody who completely knows and understands the program to help those on it while not inconveniencing the rest of us. I even mentioned it to a manager last year but no change as of yet!

This has become a big problem for me at the resort food court. You go and get your food and then have to wait on a long line because of DDP. They have to go get something else, or change something for something else, or the cashier has to void the sale and re-ring it because some of it is on the plan and other things they are paying cash for all while your food is getting COLD!
I think a seperate line for DDP would be a great idea for everyone involved. The cashier could be somebody who completely knows and understands the program to help those on it while not inconveniencing the rest of us. I even mentioned it to a manager last year but no change as of yet!

Ah, but what about those who have done the DDP before and know what's involved. Also those who have done their research and know what to order and don't need to ask questions? Should they need to wait in the "slow" line too even if they're not holding people up?

Besides, it strikes me that at the food courts, people should be asking their questions where they pick up their food, not where they are paying. Isn't it already too late at that point to make additions to their meals?

Wow, this thread has taken on a life of its own, hasn't it....

I NEVER said that the DDP is evil. I think it's a great deal, price wise. For the past year I've had an annual pass and could not take advantage of it, but we did try it back in 2005 (not during a free period; we paid for it... not that THAT has anything to do with it).

I don't think it's the fault of the CMs and I don't think it's the fault of the guests; it's a combination of many factors.

My only problem was having to wait, over and over and over again, for all of the many reasons that it took the cashiers to process the DDP guests, versus processing cash/credit card/room key orders.

I also realized that a lot of my impatience on this trip was due to the several counter service restaurants and food court meals that I had. On all of my past trips I've done mainly sit-down restaurants where waiting in line to pay was not a factor. I didn't mind standing and waiting in line, it was just frustrating to know that all of the questions and issues surrounding the DDP was the cause of all the extra wasted time.

There is no quick fix, except to create separate lines. This is just my humble opinion though :)

PookaJean: What you just described is EXACTLY what I encountered time and time again last week. I stood in line at the POR food court with only 1 or 2 people ahead of me, but because of a reason such as a parent not knowing that the individual pizza was not considered a kids meal because there WAS an actual kids meal available, these families then had to stand and talk and decide whether to make the child put the pizza back (this included a long discussion between the parents as to whether the pizza on their tray would be wasted or thrown away because they touched it, or whether they should just pay cash for it, etc...and then once they decided to use an adult credit for the meal, making the child run back to the drink case and put back the small bottled water and grab a large one instead because the meal came with a large water, and THEN decide which dessert the kid wanted because the meal comes with a dessert, etc etc etc!) I stood there all that time with my food getting cold, and when I tried to change lines in hopes of being waited on, having the same thing happen again, right in front of me....

Like I said, I do not necessarily blame the guests and I don't blame the CMs... it's just a meal program that nobody is born knowing, so unless people go to WDW fairly often and use the plan, they're not quite sure of what to do, what to choose, etc. These people probably get the hang of it by the time their last day rolls around. :hourglass

I NEVER said that the DDP is evil.

Just so you know I was mostly responding to the poster above me who was blaming the DDP for the waste of food... yet saying that she never saw so many people eating so much. :confused3 Also it's getting REALLY OLD to see one thread after another blaming the DDP for every single thing that went wrong with their trip.I expect someone to blame the DDP for the closure of HM any day now.

I just don't get it. When we went last month, I did not see any of this. We were suprised that we didn't have to wait longer than we did. At every counter service we did not have to wait that long at all and there were plenty of tables to choose from. I just had a totally different experience than alot of you.:confused3

Just so you know I was mostly responding to the poster above me who was blaming the DDP for the waste of food...

Fair enough :)

yet saying that she never saw so many people eating so much. :confused3 Also it's getting REALLY OLD to see one thread after another blaming the DDP for every single thing that went wrong with their trip.

Absolutely NOTHING went wrong with my trip. :) This was merely an observation of a situation that I feel can be greatly improved upon.

I expect someone to blame the DDP for the closure of HM any day now.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I just don't get it. When we went last month, I did not see any of this. We were suprised that we didn't have to wait longer than we did. At every counter service we did not have to wait that long at all and there were plenty of tables to choose from. I just had a totally different experience than alot of you.:confused3

I never had trouble finding a table anywhere; I was just shocked at how often I had to wait a VERY long time due to issues associated with the DDP.

The DDP people absolutely have a right to use an element of their vacation that they are entitled to use; but at the same time I'm entitled to pay for my hot food in a timely manner so I can eat it while it's still relatively warm. Disney needs to come up with a solution to this. I think the idea of having an extra CM standing near the cashiers to answer any questions before the guests get in line to pay is an EXCELLENT idea. :thumbsup2

"Just so you know I was mostly responding to the poster above me who was blaming the DDP for the waste of food... yet saying that she never saw so many people eating so much."

That was me. One person eating enough for many is wasting food.
Also, we recently witnessed a family throw away three complete salmon dinners while the Dad ate everyone's dessert. I'm sorry, but it is a disgrace.

Absolutely NOTHING went wrong with my trip. :) This was merely an observation of a situation that I feel can be greatly improved upon.

I'm glad you had a great trip :banana: Yes there is definitely work to be done with the DDP. For starters, they could mail *detailed* instructions to the guests along with their confirmation.The kid's credits especially seem to be confusing for some people. It was just DM and me and we managed fine, but I don't know how we would have done if we had kids credits mixed with ours.

The food courts though, well one of the problems is that you have to get your food first and THEN wait in line to pay for it. Half the time the food is barely warm to begin with. I saw the lines at the ASMO food court for breakfast one day - even if none of these people were on the DDP and even if the CMs were the Speedy Gonzales of cashiers, I bet a LOT of people ate cold eggs that morning.

One person eating enough for many is wasting food.

Well in that case every single restaurant is wasting food.Come to think of it, if that's your definition of "waste", most households are wasting food every day.

Also, we recently witnessed a family throw away three complete salmon dinners while the Dad at everyone's dessert. I'm sorry, but it is a disgrace.

Actually, THAT is wasting food. And I'm sorry too,but you could see the same thing, or worse, at any cheap "All you can eat" buffet anywhere in the US - can you blame the DDP for that too ?

Separating lines into cash patrons and DDP patrons is a bad idea. What happens when a patron enters the wrong line? Does WDW make that guest go to the end of the proper line even though he (or she) has waited 10 minutes already? We've already established to death on these boards that people don't (won't?) read most signs (or menus) prior to a face to face encounter with a CM manning a cash register.

Having a 'roving' dining CM to answer questions about the dishes available and/or the DDP is really the best solution. I know at DL they used to have CMs work the CS lines and take orders before guests reached the cashier, eliminating a lot of wait time. Can't recall if I have seen them do that at WDW.

Segregation is not the answer :rotfl:

The food courts though, well one of the problems is that you have to get your food first and THEN wait in line to pay for it.
When I have had meals at the Food & Fun Center and Gasparilla Grill & Games after I told them my order I went to the cash register, gave them the paper with what I ordered and they punched it in, so I was able to pre-pay before I got my food and I have always been able to do that. Maybe things are different at ASMO, but at the Contemporary and Grand Floridian guests are able to do that. The weird thing I always see them paying after they get their food, because after I place my order the Cast Member tells me take this the cash and you can pre-pay and I would assume they tell that to all the guests.

When I have had meals at the Food & Fun Center and Gasparilla Grill & Games after I told them my order I went to the cash register, gave them the paper with what I ordered and they punched it in, so I was able to pre-pay before I got my food and I have always been able to do that. Maybe things are different at ASMO, but at the Contemporary and Grand Floridian guests are able to do that. The weird thing I always see them paying after they get their food, because after I place my order the Cast Member tells me take this the cash and you can pre-pay and I would assume they tell that to all the guests.

Now that's what I call a good idea. It didn't work that way at ASMO, at least not while we were there though I have to admit I never even thought of asking. That would not fix the waiting problem but at least patrons would get to eat warm food.

"Well in that case every single restaurant is wasting food.Come to think of it, if that's your definition of "waste", most households are wasting food every day."

Now that I agree with!!! It's not just the DDP. It's a HUGE problem everywhere. Including many households. Very good observation!!!

I just want to add something for those who said they were new to all this and feeling nervous about it:

PLEASE do not worry! I was a bit frustrated at continually having to wait, but I never said a word, and I didn't roll my eyes either. lol I think most people are patient while at WDW, we expect to have to wait in lines. So please, don't stress over this, it'll be fine, and you'll have a great time. All of the CMs were very friendly and helpful to the people who were having problems/issues/questions while using the DDP.

I really didn't intend to make anyone nervous about this subject!!

For every family that "just eats the dessert" there is a family that, because of the plan, eats a well balanced meal instead of picking up a burger because it is cheaper. For that, I applaud the DDP. It works for my family quite well. I love the idea of a CM explaining. They could do a kiosk ordering system where you pay after you place your own order from the computer. Then we will see if it is DDP or just people taking their time to order. If there is a discrepancy on your bill when it is printed from the kiosk, you can take it to a CM before you go to the cashier.

Let me just say that our first Disney trip was in 2000, pre DDP and the lines were just as long and people took their time ordering. I always say another person's urgency is not my problem. I will take my time and make sure I get my order straight. Sometimes it's really quick, sometimes it is not. While I am considerate enough to at look at the menu before I get in line, if I have a question for the cashier, I will ask and whoever is behind me will wait a second or two until I get a response. Sorry, we all want the most out of our vacation and that sometimes means getting your questions answered. I agree with poster that says we were all newbies at one time. Talk about consideration, consider the person who needs help.

I just returned from my Disney vacation last week using the DDP for the first time. It was a breeze. No confusion really. The only thing that I thought was a little frustrating was I asked to get french fries with my chicken at the Flame Tree BBQ and was told I couldn't, but I could use a snack credit and get fries that way. The same day, later that afternoon, my sister went there and asked for fries and got them with her meal. ?? No big deal though really.

I didn't notice the plan holding me up or anyone else for that matter. We ate great. The plan definately put some pounds on me because I normally wouldn't order desert, but it is vacation so yee ha!!:rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter