DDP Frustrations

cattrix

DIS Veteran
Let me start by saying I am a Disney nut :thumbsup2 I've been to Disney World now every year since 2003.

I have watched the Disney Dining Plan change and transform almost every year, normally I can keep up with these changes.

I started a new job this year and have much less time to do my Disney planning and research. We planned on going during Sept and were hoping to take advantage of Free Dining like every year. We don't have children so we always try to go during the cheapest and least crowded time.

I just learned today that Le Cellier is now a 2 point place at lunch and dinner and that Fulton's Crab House is ON the dining plan. Normally I do get most of my information off of these boards but with no time to surf through them I just can't keep up with the yearly changes of the DDP.

Besides those 2 changes does anyone know anything else HUGE that I am missing from changes to the DDP? We will be on the Deluxe Plan.

Besides Fulton's Crab House most of the restaurants in DTD are now on the dining plan. Have you looked at the DxDDP pdf for the list of restaurants that are included?

Also, I don't know when you last went to DW, but restaurants with characters and signature restaurants now require a credit card guarantee and have a cancellation deadline. If you don't cancel by the deadline and don't show up at the restaurant you will be charged a penalty - in most cases $10 per person. There's a sticky at the top of the Dining Reservations page that lists the restaurants and explains the policy.

Don't know how far behind you were, but some changes either to the plan itself or how restaurants handle the plan are:
  • Le Cellier is "Signature" status for all meals (2 TS) Note: I put signature in quotes for a reason...
  • Both AK and DtD RFC restaurants, T-Rex, Fultons, and several other DtD restaurants previously not on the plan are now on the plan
  • Bisto de Paris has been renamed on Monsuier Paul (though, it's probably spelled correctly in "real life", not like the probable butcher job I did right there) and is now a Signature restaurant (2 TS) on the plan. Note: No quotes... that explains why Le Cellier is in quotes ;)
  • Via Napoli is very strict about sharing on the plans. Each person must order his or her own entree. Only individual entrees and individual pizzas are covered. With pizza, you get get the specialty pizzas (no toppings changes) or the basic. Extra toppings are OOP. Only fountain drinks and coffee (and possibly tea) are available as a drink on the dining plans. Yes, they're annoyingly restrictive. Strangely enough, Tutto Italia, owned by the same company, is not this strict...
  • QSDP (not really applicable for you, but in the interest of others who may be wondering and heading off someone else mentioning it first :p) - Now only includes 1 snack per night.
  • DDP (the "normal" dining plan) now includes the refillable mug like the other two plans.
  • All signature restaurants and any restaurant that has a character meal (even if not for that particular meal!) have a $10 per person guarantee. This is charged if the entire party is a no show. Partial parties will not be charged this fee. (Not really pertinent to the dining plans, but to dining in general).
  • The dining reservation web-based system has changed again. They figured that since they got the old new system just about working fine, they'd break it again by adding the new new system. 180+10 is wonky and sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.
  • Tony's has become a well loved restaurant and rated the top at Disney by members of these boards.... or...maybe not. (Like all Disney restaurants, it gets mostly mixed reviews, though they trend to the negative more than the positive. It does get some positive though!)
I think I covered most of the changes within the past few years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!