DCL removed verandah tables from Dream

And everyone may or may not know that there is a small ledge anyhow that a kid can easily place their foot on running under where the plexiglass starts; that gives a kid an actual foothold by which to pull up and look over the balcony anyhow. Even easier to get closer to falling over (if this is truly what this is about ).

For those asking about the tables on the verandahs, received the following from shoreside concierge this morning:

Thank you for reaching out!

While we are always reevaluating our policies and procedures to ensure the safety of our Guests, at this point in time there has been no change in the standard furnishings on our stateroom verandahs.

Occasionally, some of the verandah or stateroom furnishings may be removed in order to be upgraded or refurbished. Currently, we are aware that some decks on the Disney Dream have had their verandah tables temporarily removed for resurfacing. Other decks on the ship – including Concierge decks 11 and 12 – still have the standard furnishings in place. Although those furnishings are always subject to change, we have made no major changes to them at this time.

Please let us know if there’s anything else we can assist you with!

For those asking about the tables on the verandahs, received the following from shoreside concierge this morning:

Thank you for reaching out!

While we are always reevaluating our policies and procedures to ensure the safety of our Guests, at this point in time there has been no change in the standard furnishings on our stateroom verandahs.

Occasionally, some of the verandah or stateroom furnishings may be removed in order to be upgraded or refurbished. Currently, we are aware that some decks on the Disney Dream have had their verandah tables temporarily removed for resurfacing. Other decks on the ship – including Concierge decks 11 and 12 – still have the standard furnishings in place. Although those furnishings are always subject to change, we have made no major changes to them at this time.

Please let us know if there’s anything else we can assist you with!

I guess it was an early April fool's joke!

LAX

It is interesting DCL is saying it is for ship wide refurb (does it take 2 months to refinish tables) but room stewards and guest services on board are saying it is for safety.

It can take a while if they are coming off the ship to be done by an outside contractor or central shops. Not sure how many tables that there are, but I'm going to guess in the neighborhood of 200 or so.

Just read a report on another site that said a cruiser on the Dream last fall didn't have a table on their verandah and went to Guest Services and were told they were being removed due to safety concerns, and that none were available. Now this was 4 months or so ago, and now this issue is popping up all over the boards, I just wonder if DCL issued that "refurbishing" statement to cover themselves while they reconsider this debacle, and might be willing to bring the tables back to those who request them. Not sure what "officially" is going down with this matter, it does appear though that the over all feeling is it's over reach on the part of DCL, rather than remove them all, why not have them removed from staterooms with small children booked (they can do this they ask for every frigging bit of information about who's going to be in each stateroom anyway including the age of every single person there) but leave them in the Adults only booked rooms. This makes more sense but of course the reaction is to get rid of them all.

I was in a verandah room on the 3/6 Dream and I did not have a table on my balcony. It didn't cross my mind at the time, as I didn't need a table while out there - but now that I see this thread, they had definitely removed the tables from my balcony and the two rooms on either side of me (friends).

We had one on the Fantasy - March 11 sailing.

And this is why I don't think it is a "safety" issue and believe the refurbishing explanation. If it was because DCL is worried about children going over the railing, tables AND chairs would disappear from all four ships all at once. Not Just on the Dream and all cabins but concierge.

A few days ago I emailed Disney to see if the "removed for safety" rumor was true regarding the missing tables. Today I received this response:

Thank you for contacting Disney Cruise Line.

I would be happy to assist you.

As part of our regular maintenance program, the tables on the verandahs
aboard the Disney Dream have been removed for repair and replacement.
We anticipate they will be returned in the near future.

I hope this information has been helpful. If you require further
assistance with any other inquiries, please feel free to contact us.

We look forward to sailing with you!

So this falls in line with what the PP received from shoreside concierge. The whole thing just seems very odd. There are reports of guest services telling passengers on board that they were removed for safety reasons, now others are being told it was for refurbishment. I wonder if this is sort of like when the All Hands on Deck platter was "mistakenly" left of the new room service menu and quickly corrected. :cool: Or perhaps both versions are true. Maybe some of the tables were in such bad condition that they were deemed "unsafe" to use somehow in their normal function. No clue, but it appears they will soon be returning to the balconies and that is a good thing!

Quoted from the Blog:

"UPDATE 2

In a follow up conversation with a guest just off the Dream, I’ve learned onboard staff informed them the tables were removed during dry dock for refurbishment and this takes time to complete and are being returned as the refurbishment is competed. Mind you, the Disney Dream returned from her first dry dock in October 2015. That is not a typo, 2015."

Quoted from the Blog:

"UPDATE 2

In a follow up conversation with a guest just off the Dream, I’ve learned onboard staff informed them the tables were removed during dry dock for refurbishment and this takes time to complete and are being returned as the refurbishment is competed. Mind you, the Disney Dream returned from her first dry dock in October 2015. That is not a typo, 2015."

:rotfl2:This makes me think even more that the refurbishment excuse is just that, an excuse, for an otherwise bone headed decision that hopefully they are rectifying.

The tables on the Dream have been missing for quite a while. Doesn't sound like this is the case on the the other ships (it was the Fantasy that reportedly had them last month).

Aye aye aye. Pretty soon they are just going to put mesh over the balcony to keep everyone in like caged birds.

But if they were removed for the sake of safety, it wasn't because they were being proactive. It was because someone wasn't watching their kids, something happened, and they threatened to sue. Guarantee it.

Agreed!! I'm sure the thought is Disney = Safe...oh, wait! My mistake--that should be Disney = $$

I would hope that the veranda furniture will be left out there for the staterooms that have adults only in them. Wife and I are typically sailing on our own. If our son now 24 on that rare occasion does join us it isn't an issue.

I would hope that the veranda furniture will be left out there for the staterooms that have adults only in them. Wife and I are typically sailing on our own. If our son now 24 on that rare occasion does join us it isn't an issue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter