Dave Ramsey just trashed DVC on the air

You have to wonder about people that get investment advice from radio and TV personalities. Assume the advice is worth what you pay for it.

He's a guy that sells himself as a Christian money expert. Live like a hermit and grow rich, but don't dare have a life, is what he sells, IMHO.

Edited to add, I'll have to admit I used to think his advice was good, then I realized I must have alot more self control than the average person he's speaking to.
If I really did what he says, I'd never have had all the wonderful travels and
condo on the beach (that has gone up in value $$$$$$$$$) that I have now.

I don't know who Dave Ramsey is either, nor do I care. I am happy with my purchase, my family is beyond happy. In fact, it is one of my favorite all time purchases. Take that, Dave Ramsey!!!!!!!!

I don't know who Dave Ramsey is either, but just checked out his web site.

It appears that he is offering advice to those who are unable to help themselves...the debt junkies, as it were. I think perdidobay has it right in that his audience is probably made up of people who don't grasp the simple concept that leveraging a lifestyle on debt is not a particularly healthy thing to do.

Sounds like he is going overboard by lumping DVC into the mix, but for his audience it is probably still good advice. Most here would agree that DVC is a luxury purchase that should either be a cash purchase or financed with relative ease within the owner's means.

Dave Ramsey is the last person who'd ever book into a deluxe a WDW. Very much an "ALL-Star" kinda guy. No offense meant to those who frequent that resort. It's just that someone like that would never understand or appreciate DVC. :rolleyes:

perdidobay said:
of course the idiot just lumped it into all the other timeshares and said no one is satisfied after they buy it and you have to PAY someone to take it off your hands...
I think we ALL need to email him with the truth about DVC.

http://www.daveramsey.com/index.cfm?fuseAction=dspMailDaveOnAir

I have some DR junky friends. Personally, I think there is a healthy medium between being wasteful and stingy and I hope I am at it. I could probably save more but we are comfortable and live a happy life.

To me that is what LIVING is about. All I know is I do not regret MY DVC purchase so that is all that matters to me.

Actually,

He has pretty good advice, don't pay for anything if you don't have the money to buy it.

He can come on strong, and like Slakk, most people have a healthy balance, but it's his passion to get and keep people out of debt.
If you have no debt, you can build wealth and share it spend it however you like.

Don't be too harsh on him. He would be all for DVC if he knew more about it (high resale value), if you paid cash for it, AND had the money/income to support frequent trips to WDW.

Peace,
G4L

gtrist4life said:
He would be all for DVC if he knew more about it

I'm skeptical of anyone who is critical of something that he/she knows nothing about. Maybe he should learn about it or not make comments.

HBC

I used to listen to him a lot, until I realized he's sort of out of touch with "normal" people and day-to-day things - even with companies on his own web site. For example, he recommends a particular life insurance company, and when we requested a quote, it was a lot higher than what we currently pay. A few days later, a guy called in and told Dave that had been his experience, too, and Dave just wouldn't believe it. He kept insisting that his affiliate couldn't possibly be charging that much ... well, guess what, Dave? They ARE!!

Plus, he's a huge advocate of debit cards vs. credit cards, and I am absolutely against debit cards. Someone steals your number, it ties up your BANK ACCOUNT for days to weeks! Someone stole our credit card number yesterday, and all it took was a single phone call to fix it with no repercussions to our bank account.

His DVC-bashing is further proof that the guy doesn't always know what he's talking about. My feeling is, if you're going to give advice, at least be clued in to the subject. :rolleyes:

Dave Ramsey is against all kinds of needless spending, execpt if he can make a buck off it.

$90 a year to subscribe to his site so he can try to sell you more needless stuff, and how much does it cost to attend a seminar where he tells you stuff you should already know.

I seriously doubt any investment people will tell you DVC is a good deal financially. We all know that. Many would not say vacations are a necessary expense, and we all disagree with that.

To the OP do you have the link to what he said, I would never email my opinion without reading the comments he made.

What got me mad was the fact that the caller said he just got back from a trip to WDW, and asked what Dave thought about DVC, Dave said "it's timeshare, right"...and then launched into a tirade against timeshares. He never asked the caller what he made, if he had any debt, anything. So he has no idea of anything about it or the caller.

Someone said he is a Christian money expert. Maybe he singled DVC out because of Disney's acceptance of same sex partners for CM benefits and gay day at Disney is a well known event they do not discourage.

There are many on the budget board who swear by him.

I have heard a few things about him and he has some good suggestions but just like anything else, you need to do what works for you and not just because someone on a squack box is saying to do this or that.

And let me say for the record, I really don't know if I believe DVC is a money saver. (I am a DVC Member). I am spending more now that I am going more, and I have become a DVC Room snob as I could not picture anything less then a one bedroom while vacationing. I am now spoiled even when I have to stay somewhere overnight on business I keep thinking how nice the DVC rooms are compared to a hotel.

The money I spent for DVC was not an investment. It was a partial prepayment for future vacations. I don't regret it for one second and would do it again.

gtrist4life said:
Don't be too harsh on him. He would be all for DVC if he knew more about it (high resale value), if you paid cash for it, AND had the money/income to support frequent trips to WDW.
Dave's an all or nothing kind of guy. For instance, he insists that all credit cards are bad for all people. Even if you pay off your balance each money, even though you are getting free interest + reward points, credit cards are bad. Period.

He has discussed timeshares in the past, and is as dogmatic about them as everything else we talks about. Timeshares are bad no matter what.

salmoneous said:
Dave's an all or nothing kind of guy. For instance, he insists that all credit cards are bad for all people. Even if you pay off your balance each money, even though you are getting free interest + reward points, credit cards are bad. Period.

He has discussed timeshares in the past, and is as dogmatic about them as everything else we talks about. Timeshares are bad no matter what.

I beleive that Dave Ramsey's advice re: getting out of debt is good for some people, but he should not spout off about DVC without knowing the facts. I have no intention of selling my BCV points, but I paid cash for them at 70 dollars per point 4 years ago, and could sell them tomorrow at 95 or better, with years of memorable vacations behind me! Not a ripoff in my book.
(Plus, his whole envelope system freaked me out--I couldn't do a budget like that! :rotfl2: )

DR is good for those that do not understand that you should not spend what you do not have, unfortunately to find out the information form him htey must spend $90+ that htey do not have! For may of us it is common sense to not spend what you dont have. A Timeshare of any kind is a luxury and DR is pretty much a tightwad so there would be no luxury the $$ would be better placed in an investment that would yield you more $. I believe in healty balance and the $$ I put into DVC has yielded many dividends of priceless family time and fun experiences. It all has to do with personal priorities and ability to only spend what you earn.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter