DAS - Require ID?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am just guessing here but if needing a drink to keep someone from going down in an indoor line most people would want that person to drink/eat something. granted this was years ago but adult daughter had nothing with her and went down in an indoor line at Disney. had to back line out to get EMT/first aid to her was not fun
Your adult diabetic daughter entered an indoor line without emergency supplies? Not even a pack of glucose tabs in her pocket?
Sounds like she learned to be more responsible for her own health after that scare

We've traveled with family in a group of 12 - DAS was added to the whole party - Disney is awesome - we have multiple children with varying disabilities and some adults needing accommodations too never an issue there. Universal on the other hand.. ugh - they are a huge pain to deal with.
Really? Same exact program. Only difference is universal let's you enter the line without a return time if the standby is under 30 minutes.

Your adult diabetic daughter entered an indoor line without emergency supplies? Not even a pack of glucose tabs in her pocket?
Sounds like she learned to be more responsible for her own health after that scare

this is a little harsh. The first time I went after I was diagnosed as a T2, I had no idea how quickly a low could happen, because for me it wasn’t super common to go low after my initial diagnosis. For those of us who are T2, lows may not be as common as they are for T1 in regular life. The amount of walking, stress on your body, heat and humidity and hydration and frankly just a day that ends in “y” are all factors that affect our management. Perhaps she was newly diagnosed. Perhaps she wasn’t someone who often experienced lows. Or perhaps she was simply a freaking human who made a mistake and hopefully learned from it without a stranger on the interwebs judging her. Seriously.

she had them but even with them she was too far when she felt the need. it came on faster than normal and was down that quick. from what she said later she did not see it coming as she went from first sign to down faster than normal for her

My daughter has T1D, and 'planning to snack before getting in line' isn't often reasonable. She has run from 285 to 40 within a half-hour, and lines at an amusement park can be quite a bit longer than that. If she starts the line at 285, she's not going to need a snack and will have treated before starting the line. Then, if we get into the line, waiting for a while and her blood sugar drops low, low, low because we misjudged, or because it's Tuesday (I don't know, BS does what it wants to sometimes with brittles), we can have a serious emergency and need to snack. Sometimes a glucose tab doesn't do it, or it makes you react just like the roller coaster you go up and down on. Sometimes 'planning' goes out the window when it comes to T1D as many of you all here know. I for one say get the DAS pass. If your child (or yourself!) has had these issues, by all means, do what you need to do to make sure you/your child doesn't have a nightmare event because of an unpredictable disease. If it doesn't apply to you, no need to participate (lucky duck!). I hope that we would all be compassionate to those who deal with this dread disease and others who have a need for such aid.

Your description of such wild fast changes would make me fear even going on a ride, driving a car, or getting on a plane.
I hope for her sake a way to manage her condition is found. It must be miserable to never know if standing in line at the grocery store could lead to a blood sugar crash requiring emergency medical attention. I know CGM have a bit of a lag to real time numbers, but has she tried one?

this is a little harsh. The first time I went after I was diagnosed as a T2, I had no idea how quickly a low could happen, because for me it wasn’t super common to go low after my initial diagnosis. For those of us who are T2, lows may not be as common as they are for T1 in regular life. The amount of walking, stress on your body, heat and humidity and hydration and frankly just a day that ends in “y” are all factors that affect our management. Perhaps she was newly diagnosed. Perhaps she wasn’t someone who often experienced lows. Or perhaps she was simply a freaking human who made a mistake and hopefully learned from it without a stranger on the interwebs judging her. Seriously.
Young people make mistakes. There is a level of personal responsibility that comes with age.
I do know that the golden rule for diabetics in theme park settings is, test, test, test.
And yes, a sudden low needing medical attention for a non insulin dependent type 2 would be odd.

Actually, the mask rule applies to everyone, including those having medical issues, they are insistent you step out of line and go to the back of the line after you finish wasting or drinking. We heard numerous people being told that on our last trip, including ones that were clearly having medical issues.

There is literally no middle ground here.

Yeah, I'm not thinking that is right. There is no way they are telling people with medical conditions that they can't eat or drink as needed. Also wondering about telling people in the heat that they can't drink?

Yeah, I'm not thinking that is right. There is no way they are telling people with medical conditions that they can't eat or drink as needed. Also wondering about telling people in the heat that they can't drink?

You can take a sip of water in the queue, as long as you are socially distanced. You can't have an open container of iced coffee or other beverage (that's been a big NO for as long as I can remember - there's usually a sign, trash barrel and/or CM at the cut-off point) after a certain point, or be eating a messy snack, etc. If a quick sip of water or a glucose tab/piece of candy doesn't do the trick, then it's probably something that should be taken care of out of the queue, for safety's sake, IMO.

As I said in the extended queues you can, but once you enter the standard queue that is where you must mask up and no longer can.

as a recently diagnosed type 2 diabetic, I'm finding this thread very interesting. We're going in July. And I am/was unaware that the heat can be a factor in a blood sugar crash. I'll be sure to test more often on our park days. I've experienced some issues here at home the last few days with being out in the heat, and it's not even that hot here. considering requesting a DAS but not sure if I need to. lots to think about.

as a recently diagnosed type 2 diabetic, I'm finding this thread very interesting. We're going in July. And I am/was unaware that the heat can be a factor in a blood sugar crash. I'll be sure to test more often on our park days. I've experienced some issues here at home the last few days with being out in the heat, and it's not even that hot here. considering requesting a DAS but not sure if I need to. lots to think about.

I think a lot of blood sugar issues depend on whether you are using insulin.
I would for sure talk to your doctor about any concerns you might have. With type 2 so much is depending on if you are using medication in addition to diet and exercise to control your condition. .type 1 and 2 are truly very different conditions that have different concerns

that is what happened to my adult daughter as she was used to how things went at home and crashed faster than normal

T2 here. Personally I have never found the need for a DAS, I took my first disney trip after diagnosis before I really had the hang of things but still managed pretty well. I never really need to treat or snack in line, but I do take my test kit and test more regularly than I do at home. You will find many things and nothing at all can affect your blood sugar. Heat, humidity, activity, hydration, sleep, hormones, the whole gamut really. One sneaky one is sodium. For me, I control my sodium intake in real life which is incredibly difficult in Disney because they don’t publish nutrition info. If I don’t watch it I find that I retain fluid and that makes me go higher than expected.

nothing about the DAS would really impact any of this for me personally. I always test before meals when I’m in Disney, and I don’t tend to snack in a line anyway, so not being able to at the moment isn’t a big deal for me. I usually hydrate between and hit the ladies’ before jumping into a line. For snacks I usually pack what I use in real life for snacks. When I go next week, since masks are not required outside I plan to snack and hydrate as I walk, per usual. Everyone’s needs are different but waiting outside of the line really wouldn’t benefit me in any particular way so I don’t make use of that accommodation.

thanks @mcall12. Yeah, I don't feel like I would really need one but I don't want to get there and find out I should have, ya know? Most Likely, I'll see how the days go and if I feel the need arising, request one later. I had a couple of episodes of extreme fatigue while doing yard work and working a garage sale this past weekend. that combined with some of the posts in this thread got me thinking about it. I appreciate the info.

Really? Same exact program. Only difference is universal let's you enter the line without a return time if the standby is under 30 minutes.
Last time we went (pre-pandemic) Universal was limited to max 6 in total group - and staff members were definitely no where near as accommodating throughout the days there - Disney in general feels like they go out of their way to make things accessible - Universal really gets the feel of 'ugh, well if we HAVE to'

Last time we went (pre-pandemic) Universal was limited to max 6 in total group - and staff members were definitely no where near as accommodating throughout the days there - Disney in general feels like they go out of their way to make things accessible - Universal really gets the feel of 'ugh, well if we HAVE to'
I think Disney has paid the price in the past by being over accommodating. People will take advantage. I also think there is a difference when people are asking for a accomodations that have a cash value. People do pay a premium for access to those express lines.

Disney is also max of 6 with special exceptions made on occasion.

thanks @mcall12. Yeah, I don't feel like I would really need one but I don't want to get there and find out I should have, ya know? Most Likely, I'll see how the days go and if I feel the need arising, request one later. I had a couple of episodes of extreme fatigue while doing yard work and working a garage sale this past weekend. that combined with some of the posts in this thread got me thinking about it. I appreciate the info.
Endurance or fatigue is not a reason a disability pass is given. Fatigue or endurance issues will be advised to use a wheelchair or ecv. Tons of people have poor endurance for a variety of reasons. The disability pass system would overwhelm the fast pass lines if everyone with poor endurance was given the pass

Endurance or fatigue is not a reason a disability pass is given.
That's true. However I believe PanchoX1 was specifically referring to the feeling of an imminent "blood sugar crash" and not regular stamina/fatigue/endurance challenges. A wheelchair or ECV won't directly help; opportunity to be outside the queue to eat a snack will help prevent low blood sugar, especially now with extended queues and snacking in the [indoor] queue is not allowed.

@PanchoX1 -- you'll get to know your signs, as will your family or those with whom you travel. At home if you find yourself having frequent episodes like you described, be sure to mention it to your doctor. Meds for T2 can take a period of time for adjusting the right product and dose. At WDW, just because you get a DAS does not mean you have to use it for all attractions, only when you may need it -- such as the time of day, meal schedule, need for snacks, etc. And definitely plan to test much more than usual; ask your medical provider to write your script for more frequent testing if necessary to make sure you have enough supplies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter