DAS renewal window and how to do it

What ‘card’ are you talking about? I received first time DAS in May and need renewed for Sept trip. I never got a card of any kind in May. I was simply on my and my daughter’s Magic Band.

Should I have gotten a card? Now I’m worried I need some kind of card to get renewed. I was at Epcot inside GS. They were wonderful.

What ‘card’ are you talking about? I received first time DAS in May and need renewed for Sept trip. I never got a card of any kind in May. I was simply on my and my daughter’s Magic Band.

Should I have gotten a card? Now I’m worried I need some kind of card to get renewed. I was at Epcot inside GS. They were wonderful.
I think they are talking about a ticket card, as opposed to using a magicband. Not a card for DAS.

Our first time was this past December. Security asked what we needed at Guest Services. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I mean each person could have a different experience. I don’t know why my phrasing required a response or maybe I’m just misreading your tone.

I guess we are wondering why security even knew you were headed to guest services? Did they have a separate, extra guard over by GS when you went? Every time I've been to WDW since they set up the security perimeter, including a few weeks ago, there was the security check, and then an open space, and then the ticket readers. I've been way past security before I needed to make any indication that I was headed over to the outside of the park GS.

In April of this year I stood on the line outside the gate at AK and when I got to the front the CM told me I had to go inside to get DAS renewed.

Just what happened to us and it was the one and only time I tried outside the gate.
AK has been sending people inside the park to get DAS for several years.
Even the inside the park Guest Relations just inside the entry at AK had not been issuing DAS; guests were sent to a ‘alternate’ Guest Services location in the Discovery Island area of the park in front of one of the shops (also the Guest Services umbrellas once those were added).
Our first time was this past December. Security asked what we needed at Guest Services. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I mean each person could have a different experience. I don’t know why my phrasing required a response or maybe I’m just misreading your tone.
I guess other posters were curious why/how Security knew you were going to Guest Services. They generally just do their screening and don‘t typically question where guests are going.
I assume you may have asked the Security person something about Guest Services and in response they asked what you needed??

My husband is a bilateral amputee and we are planning our 1st Disney trip since his disability for 2023. I am trying to learn all I can about travelling with his disability. My question about the DAS system is does this have to be renewed at each park?

My husband is a bilateral amputee and we are planning our 1st Disney trip since his disability for 2023. I am trying to learn all I can about travelling with his disability. My question about the DAS system is does this have to be renewed at each park?

No, it works in all the parks once you get it. You just have to explain why your husband cannot wait in the standby queue. They don't want a diagnosis, but what it is about his disability that makes waiting in the standby queue difficult/impossible. Also, if it is based on mobility, then DAS is not supposed to be issues.

No, it doesn’t need to be issued in each park. Once it has been issued, it can be used in any of the 4 WDW Theme Parks (assuming you are going to WDW).
The main points are:
- DAS accommodates guests who are unable to tolerate waits in the traditional line
because of disability by allowing the guest and their party to wait outside of the line (a ‘party’ is generally up to 6 guests total)

- There are no specific conditions or disabilities that ‘qualify’ for DAS. Some people may not be able to tolerate waiting in the lines while someone else with the same condition may have no issues. The important thing to consider and be able to briefly discuss is what difficulty that specific guest will/could experience waiting in line

- Guests using DAS are given a Return Time to come back to the attraction and enter with a short wait. The Return Time is based on the current wait time for that attraction

- Guests whose needs are based on needing to use a mobility device like a wheelchair or ECV do not need DAS; attractions mostly have accessible lines. If a line is not accessible, the guest will either be given a return time or instructed what to do to access.
Someone using a mobility device who also has other conditions that prevent waiting in lines can be issued DAS

DAS is going to be changing somewhat fairly soon in coordination with the new Disney Genie and Genie+ being rolled out soon by Disney.
Although it’s not been announced exactly when it will be changing, it will be before you trip in 2023.
This thread talks about the changes that are coming and also has links to info that Disney has put out so far.
Upcoming DAS changes

No, you only need to request the DAS once. It is valid for your length of stay and at all four parks.

Thank you for your replies. Pardon my ignorance but will most lines accommodate his scooter? What about the delay to transfer in and out of a ride? Will that be an issue? He does have extreme anxiety in crowds because of his disability. Would that qualify for a DAS. I'm just trying to make the trip as stress free and enjoyable for him as I possibly can.

Thank you for your replies. Pardon my ignorance but will most lines accommodate his scooter?
Most attraction lines will accommodate an ECV and all are wheelchair accessible to the point of boarding (except for the few that are listed as ‘Must be Ambulatory’.
If the line is not ECV accessible, there are attraction wheelchairs that can be borrowed to use in line. A few use a different entrance or boarding area for guests with mobility devices. Those with a different entrance generally give a return time to come back to the accessible entrance. Some have a different boarding area; for those, guests with mobility devices are generally waiting in the regular line until close to boarding, and then are directed to a bypass.
What about the delay to transfer in and out of a ride? Will that be an issue?
That is not part of DAS. A few of the newer attractions - such as Toy Story Mania, Ratatouille and Mickey’s Runaway Railroad - have separate boarding areas so guests can take as long as they need.
The important thing is to be concise, but as specific as possible about needs when a CM asks, « Can you transfer?»
We answer with what we specifically need for our daughter - we lift her and need her wheelchair within 3 feet of the ride vehicle, plus moving walkways slowed or preferably stopped.
He does have extreme anxiety in crowds because of his disability. Would that qualify for a DAS. I'm just trying to make the trip as stress free and enjoyable for him as I possibly can.
You need to consider how that will affect his ability to wait in lines since that is what DAS addresses. No can answer specifically for you except the CMs at Guest Relations at the parks (or on video once that registration process)

Even if DAS is issued to him, he will need to consider how he will handle crowds outside of lines; that can be an even bigger situation. There will be crowds in restaurants, shops, waiting for buses and just walking around - even in restrooms. DAS doesn’t apply to any of those situations.

I guess we are wondering why security even knew you were headed to guest services? Did they have a separate, extra guard over by GS when you went? Every time I've been to WDW since they set up the security perimeter, including a few weeks ago, there was the security check, and then an open space, and then the ticket readers. I've been way past security before I needed to make any indication that I was headed over to the outside of the park GS.
I guess other posters were curious why/how Security knew you were going to Guest Services. They generally just do their screening and don‘t typically question where guests are going.
I assume you may have asked the Security person something about Guest Services and in response they asked what you needed??

I did try to re-phrase my question so it wouldn't come off negatively, but tone is so hard on the internet! I was curious as to why/how security knew you were going to guest services, but if you asked them something about it, that makes much more sense. I wouldn't want anyone who may already have anxiety about going to guest services/discussing DAS to feel like they also needed to be prepared to answer questions to the security team (although people can be going to guest services for so many reasons).

AK has been sending people inside the park to get DAS for several years.
Even the inside the park Guest Relations just inside the entry at AK had not been issuing DAS; guests were sent to a ‘alternate’ Guest Services location in the Discovery Island area of the park in front of one of the shops (also the Guest Services umbrellas once those were added).

That's interesting to read! We went to AK in 2019 on our non-park day and were able to set up DAS at the guest relations outside the park. A CM did try to redirect us into the park (while we were still in the line) but we told her we didn't have park tickets that day and she left us be, and once we got up to the window it was no problem. We've set ours up at guest services outside MK, AK, and Epcot over the last several years...I guess we've been lucky!

What about the delay to transfer in and out of a ride? Will that be an issue?

I just wanted to elaborate on what’s been said above. This is something you’ll need to specifically ask for at every attraction. It’s something CMs are very used to hearing, and very rarely will there be any problem with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter