DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

Yknow, I think that’s fair, yeah. I don’t have a license so it might not be an option for me, personally. I’m just thinking about maneuverability too with that. I think a roller or whatever it’s called (the walker + seat) would actually be good, definitely more lightweight, and smaller so I should be able to do corners better. Does Disney do rentals of those, or is that an outside company? I know the EVCs are done usually by an outside company, and that Disney I think does have standard wheelchairs for rent.

My only issue with the roller would be that I’d have to talk to my family and see if that was feasible, I don’t think it would be worth it to buy ahead (we don’t go that often, especially now that everyone’s working, hard to coordinate schedules and time off) but I’d be happy to put down money for a rental or at least try it out for a day and see how much of a difference it can make. I think also what would help is just seeing more younger people using it, if that makes sense? I want to figure out something that works, but I’m also not a fan of the pity stares or the “what’s wrong with you” looks that it might bring me. I don’t look outwardly disabled so much, and I don’t exactly want a whole 50 question deal every place I go in Disney because people just have to know or whatever.
Depending on your needs, You could get a rollator for $60 -$90 on amazon. Fancier ones will cost more, Probably buying one would be cheaper than renting one. I'm not sure who does rent them, but not disney for sure.

I find I'm too busy at disney to notice if anyone looks at us and gives looks. But maybe you should practice saying , "Well just bless your heart , with such concern for me. Have a magical day. " You could throw that out a time or two.

If only the Genie+ Lightning Lane didn’t expire or could still be used after the expiration period. That is a difficult issue for my family as we often have to leave the park for breaks, only to return later in the day. For some members of the disabled community, it is difficult to predict just how the day is going to unfurl. We have to just roll with it and pivot depending on our needs.
I feel like that would be a fair accomodation to request during the video chat. You're not asking to get anything for free. You're only asking them to accommodate the unpredictability of your disability. If they are serious about customizing DAS to meet guests' needs, then they should be able to do that.

Yknow, I think that’s fair, yeah. I don’t have a license so it might not be an option for me, personally. I’m just thinking about maneuverability too with that. I think a roller or whatever it’s called (the walker + seat) would actually be good, definitely more lightweight, and smaller so I should be able to do corners better. Does Disney do rentals of those, or is that an outside company? I know the EVCs are done usually by an outside company, and that Disney I think does have standard wheelchairs for rent.

My only issue with the roller would be that I’d have to talk to my family and see if that was feasible, I don’t think it would be worth it to buy ahead (we don’t go that often, especially now that everyone’s working, hard to coordinate schedules and time off) but I’d be happy to put down money for a rental or at least try it out for a day and see how much of a difference it can make. I think also what would help is just seeing more younger people using it, if that makes sense? I want to figure out something that works, but I’m also not a fan of the pity stares or the “what’s wrong with you” looks that it might bring me. I don’t look outwardly disabled so much, and I don’t exactly want a whole 50 question deal every place I go in Disney because people just have to know or whatever.
I have seen the rollers at thrift shops often.

NFC (Near Field Communication) is what is used by MagicMobile for your phone. It requires NFC be turned on for your phone and also requires that you are very close to the device scanning.

Thank you for all this info!

As to the NFC, how do you turn it on on your (i)phone? Is it a system setting or a Disney app setting (it didn’t see NFC specifically for the Disney app in Settings). Thanx for any help!

Can you explain that a bit more.....say you have a genie+ for buzz. 6 - 7 pm. at 6:40, you know you aren't going to make it. Do you have to look for another slot say 6:45 -7:45 or 7:30 -8:30 or it there a way just to push it out a bit?
Genie+ would be determining the times you could modify to, based on availability left for the day. You wouldn't have control over how far to push it back, as the immediately following slots may be full so the next slot may not be for an hour or more.

I don’t have a license so it might not be an option for me, personally. I’m just thinking about maneuverability too with that. I think a roller or whatever it’s called (the walker + seat) would actually be good, definitely more lightweight, and smaller so I should be able to do corners better. Does Disney do rentals of those, or is that an outside company? I know the EVCs are done usually by an outside company, and that Disney I think does have standard wheelchairs for rent.
A drivers license is not required to rent an ECV as long as you are age 18+. However if you are not familiar with driving and always being alert to those around you it may be smart to practice first or consider other options. ECV and wheelchair rentals are available both on the parks of through a 3rd party vendor.

Rollators are not available to rent in the park but available through some 3rd party vendors. Orlando Medical Rentals is one. As.p mentions it may be similar cost to simply buy; it will fly for free to/from or within the US. A cane seat may be another option if a seat is your primary need vs balance/mobility.

Last edited:
@lanejudy Maybe? But to have it for one trip and one trip only when I don’t need it anywhere else seems like a lot, I’m that old at all, and I’d rather not have my family have to pay for some outside service or something just to accommodate that. An EVC would be more pain than it’s worth considering how hard it looks to navigate queues and lines, a roller might help, but that seems actually excessive for my needs. I just need, like a camp chair that I can bring, if we’re gonna be that decisive about things needed in line, and I already have one of those that I wouldn’t mind bringing if I needed to. I imagine a lot of people no longer being covered by DAS but still have physical disabilities are probably deciding how they can accommodate themselves much like I would be.
There’s also a new alternative - WDW is now allowing cane chairs. They still don’t allow camping chairs.

DH uses an ECV only at WDW. Yes it is expensive. For the money everything costs already it’s an investment in getting more done and enjoying it much more. Before that he’d be miserable by day 2 and in agony day 3. Psychologically he would not do it for himself, it was holding the rest of the family back that made him reconsider. But boy does he enjoy WDW alot more now with the ECV! Tells everybody in his position what a big difference it can make.

I don't have any issues with what other people think when I'm using a mobility aid. I do have a rollator also, somewhere in the basement, that I used around home after the knee replacement, but right now don't have a need for it on a daily basis. Sometimes in icy weather I'll use a cane, but that's more from a fear of slipping.

Honestly, driving a scooter is not difficult. There is a knob for setting speed, and it goes from "rabbit" (fastest) to "turtle" (slowest) and the three wheelers have a very tight turning radius (4 wheelers a little bigger). The ones you rent in the park have a 4mph highest speed, but the ones you rent from outside vendor can go faster (comes in handy when you are not in crowds or have a need to hurry right along). While they don't have a "brake", by letting go of the forward/backward lever it stops almost immediately.

Perhaps if you have a store close to you that has them for guests with walking difficulty, you could try one out before your trip, and then make a decision.

Rollators are not available to rent in the park but available through some 3rd party vendors. Orlando Medical Rentals is one. As.p mentions it may be similar cost to simply buy; it should fly for free. A cane seat may be another option if a seat is your primary need vs balance/mobility.
We fly on SW and it always flys for free. We gate check it, just in case a wheel chair doesn't show up, DH isn't stranded. We did have one flight where there was no wheelchairs. Had to walk about 10 gates to next flight, it was awful for him.

Disney already maintains data of who has DAS and who doesn’t no?
To this point in time, Disney has not asked for, nor has expressed interest in diagnosis or treatment information from physicians. Disney is NOT a HIPAA covered entity. Asking a person about the barrier (or storing the nature of the obstacle ) for which they need an accommodation (eg, no curb cut), is not usually considered medical information (and the person has no legal barrier to telling anyone they choose anything they want to share about their condition).

The PP suggested that Disney 1) collect medical documentation with a health care provider’s signature and 2) validate that information by contacting the person’s health care provider.

A health care provider disclosing a person’s health information without authorization by that individual violates HIPAA and potentially other statutes.

I’m a younger healthy looking adult who uses an electric wheelchair in places like theme parks and museums. Not once has anyone said anything negative to me. I have started using store ECV’s as needed too instead of powering through and suffering the consequences. If someone were to say something I would just tell them I am chronically ill. The only comment I’ve gotten is someone around my age walking up at lunch to ask a few questions about my chair because he needed a new one.

Just a fun thought...has anyone had the ability to have their doctor with them on the DAS call?

It made me chuckle last night just imagining it. My kiddo's doctor shares her diagnosis (albeit without some of the complications) and was the one who told us about DAS, with the stern instructions that "you should not and cannot safely visit a theme park without accommodations."

Her current DAS (old rules) expires about a week before our late June trip, and we have a doctors appointment that same time.

The doctor is VERY fiesty, and just picturing that call with their "medical professionals" gives me joy. I know it's highly unlikely, but fun to imagine.

Depending on your needs, You could get a rollator for $60 -$90 on amazon. Fancier ones will cost more, Probably buying one would be cheaper than renting one. I'm not sure who does rent them, but not disney for sure.

I find I'm too busy at disney to notice if anyone looks at us and gives looks. But maybe you should practice saying , "Well just bless your heart , with such concern for me. Have a magical day. " You could throw that out a time or two.
This is what I used in November and will use again this week. I bought mine from Walmart. The rollators are very stable. The storage in the seat was nice too. While I can't stay hours in the parks, while I am there, it's a wonderful aid. The CMs always have it waiting at the end of a ride.

I think we here are coming from an understanding of how the parks are, people are responding negatively to comments like practice waiting in lines because they are coming from their own experience but the parks aren't comprised of just super Disney park fans, nor people on the DIS or other places.
Absolutely true. Right person, right time, right place.

My point is if the CM just denied the person -- there will be very little processed at that time.

A script more along the line: beyond the accommodations, Disney has developed some quick tips and tricks that can help make navigating the parks easier and give the link and offer to send brochure via email.

The just denied DAS requestor will have very little headspace to comprehend anything much else and in most likelihood will take any well intended advice poorly.

Last edited:
Just a fun thought...has anyone had the ability to have their doctor with them on the DAS call?

It made me chuckle last night just imagining it. My kiddo's doctor shares her diagnosis (albeit without some of the complications) and was the one who told us about DAS, with the stern instructions that "you should not and cannot safely visit a theme park without accommodations."

Her current DAS (old rules) expires about a week before our late June trip, and we have a doctors appointment that same time.

The doctor is VERY fiesty, and just picturing that call with their "medical professionals" gives me joy. I know it's highly unlikely, but fun to imagine.
I saw someone saying they were going to do this earlier this week. Numerous people pointed out why that wasn’t likely to work and they never followed up, so presuming it didn’t happen.

In case anyone’s interested, it’s midday Saturday, Memorial Day Weekend, and wait times - estimated by Lines and posted - are surprisingly low again. I won’t post details because it is a paid service but MK has all but the heaviest hitters with waits in the 5-25 minute range. HS and EP have higher crowd levels and the usual suspects have their not-at-all-surprising 45-60 min waits… but 45-60 is pretty good for those rides on a high crowd day. I am not at all a numbers person, but this is making me want to start a spread sheet and start tracking…

Changing topics and for a little dose of humor - when I had my DAS call a couple weeks ago, the CM ended with asking if I’ve seen the info on quiet spots, etc. My response was that I’ve been going to WDW for 30 years with a child on the ASD spectrum - I think I’ve got that nailed, but send them over because you never know! He did, but also laughed and said I probably know a dozen better spots that aren’t even listed… fun fact: I do. :rotfl:I genuinely can’t imagine tackling WDW as a first-timer these days: my hat is off to all who manage it!

There’s also a new alternative - WDW is now allowing cane chairs. They still don’t allow camping chairs.

DH uses an ECV only at WDW. Yes it is expensive. For the money everything costs already it’s an investment in getting more done and enjoying it much more. Before that he’d be miserable by day 2 and in agony day 3. Psychologically he would not do it for himself, it was holding the rest of the family back that made him reconsider. But boy does he enjoy WDW alot more now with the ECV! Tells everybody in his position what a big difference it can make.
Our 93 yo father-in-law used ECV at WDW with us the last trip; and he learned to use that quickly!

It freed up his 4wheeled walker with seat and our son quickly claimed that and it made a world of difference in his experience too (though our legs were very tired by day's end, especially that push through Epcot around America!

We had some concerns with him transporting on the boats from Dolphin, but that was easy and the CMs were so helpful always. Age definitely doesn't stop learning curve of ECVs

This is what I used in November and will use again this week. I bought mine from Walmart. The rollators are very stable. The storage in the seat was nice too. While I can't stay hours in the parks, while I am there, it's a wonderful aid. The CMs always have it waiting at the end of a ride.
Yeah, we never heard of them until DH needed one. So we had one, but then I got tired of dragging the one in and out of the house or up and down stairs. We now have four. One in each car, one for downstairs, one with bigger wheels that lives on porch for backyard and upstairs a standard walker for nighttime travels. And the one that broke, we kept for spare parts.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter