DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

I had my call today and ended up hanging up.

The so-called health expert was invited in after the clearly scripted CM conversation was in no-way personalised to my needs. The CM kept referring to my ulcerative colitis as IBS after I pointed out on numerous occasions it is nothing like IBS - I understand they are not medically trained but they did not even listen to the words coming out of my mouth. It could’ve been an AI robot it was that dire.

Health expert comes in and doubts that my condition means I need the bathroom within 2-3 minutes. Also labels my condition as IBS. Suggests I try breathing exercises. I am actually downright disgusted.

My whole life I have dealt with this, battled to be understood. As if breathing exercises can cure an autoimmune disease that has almost killed me on two occasions.

I have recorded the conversation and intend to share it with everyone I can possibly find at Disney. I know this is prohibited but this needs to be sorted. I am in utter disbelief at what happened.
What I would like to better understand here is if Disney is supposedly basing this on need and not diagnosis then why is Disney naming any diagnoses at all on their end? Even if a guest mentions one, shouldn't they then be redirecting back to need rather than diagnosis?

this experiences concerns me for us when we get here. I have never shared DD's diagnosis name because no one - neither the CM nor the IHA employee - will know what it is, it's incredibly rare. I've always been concerned it would heighten someone's likelihood to think we are making it up. But now I'm slightly (not a lot) concerned that focusing on the generic problem and needs won't be enough to be understood and Disney's side of the call will revert to diagnosis naming because it's part of the script.

Some people can have specialized doctors who could be in a different state. Plus how is Disney going to know if from same office. Plus I have had friends that have had doctor write that note for their child with no reason for it as in normal kids saying this would make so they didn’t have to wait in line
Telemedicine has exploded since Covid. Even my cardiologist offers this for some consultations. Google a medical service and ask for a disability letter… you’ll have it in your email by morning, on perfectly acceptable letterhead from a valid provider with a license number.

I think people who imagine documentation can solve this issue don’t realize we live in a very different world medically. Easiest thing in the world to get valid documentation. That doesn’t include those doctors who’ll write you a script for things like pain meds if you pay for an office visits… they’ll just branch out into theme park disability letters.

I mean, that’s what it sounds like to me, any sort of customer service line will record their calls and tell you that they’re doing that. Ideally that would mean the worker on the line also consents to recording, otherwise they wouldn’t be running the call. Also, if you live in a one party state, what’s the protocol there? If I record a call in my one party state, I’m not breaking state law, I consent to the call, and to the recording. Makes me wonder if there’s caselaw concerning recording customer service calls. Technically, you’re already being recorded, you consent, the worker consents, what’s to stop you from separately recording then? I ask because I know at some point, people are going to realize they’re going to want to record those calls, even if just for their own records, or to make sure that they have everything for later.
The difference is Disney has people agreeing to their terms and conditions. Once signed, it becomes legally binding.

Reminders about DAS:
  • DAS began at WDW and Disneyland in late 2013 to replace the previous disability access service GAC (Guest Assistance Card)
  • DAS was always meant to be a re-registration, with questions asked, not a renewal. Having had it was not a guarantee it would be approved each time. (This is per Guest Relations CM, including Cheshire Figment who was a Guest Relations CM and a Moderator here who is now deceased)
  • DAS Advanced Video Registration began October 19, 2021 for WDW and December 8, 2021 for Disneyland. Before that, DAS registration was only available in person after arrival.
Suggestions:
  • If you are not going to WDW in the next week, wait a week or 2 to register. After each of the previous changes, it took a week or 2 for things to settle down
  • When talking to the CM, the main question to keep in mind is - What are my concerns with waiting in the regular lines? Not the diagnosis or the symptoms - some people with the same diagnosis or symptoms may not have concerns with waiting in lines; others will. What are YOU concerned with ?
  • Be prepared that the CM may ask further questions or ask for clarification

And there is no reason for decreased numbers of DAS at this point since they were granted under previous rules. I have one good for 30 days given before the change that goes through the beginning of July. You can expect DAS people to be in the LL for some weeks yet. I don’t think these numbers reflect anything of significance related to DAS change.
I don’t think any lower waits are truly significant until the trend continues over weeks instead of days, but a huge fraction of people show up to register in person— we’ve heard reports of it happening earlier this week. Not everybody knew to call last week to get one last month of access under the old rules.

We have a good friend who is morbidly obese and renting a scooter for him when we went to WDW with him was a game changer. It made the trip better for everyone and allowed us to keep up a decent pace without him feeling like it was too much.

If anyone is wavering between not going or getting a scooter now they don't qualify for DAS anymore I highly recommend the scooter. Its really easy and inclusive.
Will Disney allow Segways? I feel like they would be easier to navigate in crowds than the larger scooters. I realize that they don't allow the person to sit down, but for those have walking but not standing difficulties, they may work.

Will Disney allow Segways? I feel like they would be easier to navigate in crowds than the larger scooters. I realize that they don't allow the person to sit down, but for those have walking but not standing difficulties, they may work.
Not likely. They had them in Epcot years ago, even did a tour on them before WS opened. We were lucky to do that tour way back when. It was a lot of fun! Like so many other things, they're gone now and unlikely to return.

I just checked MDE for the first time in a few weeks, for the first time in a long time (on Friday at 6pm on a 3 day weekend), here are some sample MK wait times:
Barnstormer 25
Big Thunder 25
Dumbo 10
Haunted Mansion 30
Small World 15
Tea party 5
Carpets-Aladdin 5
Winnie the Pooh 30
Meet Mickey 15
Pirates 15
7DMT 65
Space Mtn 35
Tomorrowland Speedway 5
People Mover 10

Wait times are generally exaggerated. Also, we probably haven’t even seen 50% of the total impact of the changes yet… I’m optimistic it will make far more rides more accessible to everyone who can’t 20+ minutes.
Just wanted to say that I was in MK today and some lines were actually longer than the posted standby wait. For example Big Thunder says 25 but actually took 40. Pirates says 15 but took maybe 25-30. It's not a big difference but the wait times are not super accurate.

Just wanted to say that I was in MK today and some lines were actually longer than the posted standby wait. For example Big Thunder says 25 but actually took 40. Pirates says 15 but took maybe 25-30. It's not a big difference but the wait times are not super accurate.
Thanks for the report from the park— we’ve had that happen to us as well— really rough on my kids when I think I can handle the line but then it moves slowly either due to mislabeling, an operational breakdown, or a large number of people showing up in the LL, and then I tell them I need to leave and meet them later (or we all leave because my husband isn’t there to stay with them)—ironically, AQR should help.

Thanks for the report from the park— we’ve had that happen to us as well— really rough on my kids when I think I can handle the line but then it moves slowly either due to mislabeling, an operational breakdown, or a large number of people showing up in the LL, and then I tell them I need to leave and meet them later (or we all leave because my husband isn’t there to stay with them)—ironically, AQR should help.
Yeah I did Space Mountain in the LL and it was so backed up that I felt bad for the standby people. That line didn't move a single time I was in the LL.

Also side note but I had accidentally left my hat in the seat pouch and had a CM check for me. They had it stored at the merge point but they made me go through the LL to get it. It's going to be rough for people doing AQR since I got so many passive aggressive comments and a few guests refusing to let me through just to get to the lost and found area for the ride. While I was in the LL I saw the same thing happen to a woman who was sent up the line to retrieve lost sunglasses. I fear that people reentering the line due to an issue relating to their disability will receive a lot of grief from other guests if I got it for getting a lost item.

No.
The Park rules prohibit them.
"Wheeled mobility devices with less than 3 wheels or devices that cannot maintain stability and balance when stopped, unpowered and/or unoccupied. Training wheels and/or modifications are not permitted. "
There ARE standing mobility scooters that do fit the guidelines. I don't know if Disney still rents them, but they did have standing ECV option for rent in the parks

There was a lawsuit about Segways many years ago (I think several lawsuits actually in 2007-2009). Disney was able to prove that they would be an operational hazard, mostly because of their speed and the crowded conditions. They would also be difficult inside attractions because they don't stay up and balanced when unpowered and/or unoccupied. They would need to be leaned against something and can still fall over if bumped.

I did the EPCOT Segway tour twice when it was offered. It was fun, but we were mostly in World Showcase before it opened and had several CMs with us.

the 30 day window on the old system ends in the middle of June.
Actually, APH who “renewed” or applied before May 20th have 30 days from the beginning of their upcoming trip.

In our group’s case: we added a short trip on 6/16 for Tiana preview. Then, it will also cover trip booked 10 months ago for 4th of July week & ultimately, expires on 7/16
Not likely. They had them in Epcot years ago, even did a tour on them before WS opened. We were lucky to do that tour way back when. It was a lot of fun! Like so many other things, they're gone now and unlikely to return.
And it was…free! two in my group had a great time zipping around.

This is an interesting device that may be helpful for some people who have trouble walking, but not standing.
I've seen several of this device, The Alinker, at Disney World.
It's a non motorized, no pedal walking bike. It meets the Disney size guidelines for wheelchairs - measures 30" wide and 45" long. The only limitation I've seen is that it may not turn very tightly
One was a woman at Animal Kingdom; she had a shirt on that indicated she had MS (Multiple Sclerosis).
I don't know why the other person was using it, but I've seen photos of people with prosthetic legs, MS, CP and other conditions that affect stamina or balance. The first article I saw featured Selma Blair, who has MS.

This is a link to an article about a young woman with cerebral palsy who uses an Alinker.
And this is a photo from her article.
IMG_3940.jpeg

The difference is Disney has people agreeing to their terms and conditions. Once signed, it becomes legally binding.

The T&Cs for DAS does not say you cannot record, so it is not part of the T&Cs you agree to. It is just mentioned on the DAS page.

Here is what it says, it almost seems like they are trying to tell you that Disney will not record the call - but obviously it is written in a way that suggests you shouldn't record it either:

Other important things to note:

• Live video chat is available from 7:00 AM to 8:00 PM Eastern Time.
  • The recording of this video chat is strictly prohibited.
  • The Guest requesting DAS (or their parent/guardian) must be 18 years of age or older to register.
  • The Guest with a qualifying disability requesting to use DAS must be present during the video call.
  • If you’re not logged in to the Walt Disney World website, you’ll be prompted to log in.
  • If you don’t have an account, you’ll need to create one before continuing.
  • Guests using a mobile device or tablet will need to download the Zoom application to connect to the video chat.
  • Video chat is screen reader-friendly for Guests with visual disabilities and available with text chat for Guests with hearing disabilities.
  • At this time, live chat is offered in English only.

With that said, Disney can ban you from their parks for any reason. It is private property after all. They could ban you for recording when they asked you not to, even if it isn't in the T&Cs or legally binding. So not recommending anyone record the conversation and publish it or send it to anyone at Disney. Making sure you remove any identifying information about yourself and sharing it with the press? Maybe :)

Yeah I did Space Mountain in the LL and it was so backed up that I felt bad for the standby people. That line didn't move a single time I was in the LL.

Also side note but I had accidentally left my hat in the seat pouch and had a CM check for me. They had it stored at the merge point but they made me go through the LL to get it. It's going to be rough for people doing AQR since I got so many passive aggressive comments and a few guests refusing to let me through just to get to the lost and found area for the ride. While I was in the LL I saw the same thing happen to a woman who was sent up the line to retrieve lost sunglasses. I fear that people reentering the line due to an issue relating to their disability will receive a lot of grief from other guests if I got it for getting a lost item.

For AQR, I don't think that you are meant to bypass people in the Lightning Lane to meet your party at the merge point. Assuming you are waiting outside of the line for the entirety of your group's standby wait and meeting at the merge point - You are meant to wait in the shorter wait Lightning Lane to meet up with your party. The rest of your group is meant to contact you when they arrive at the merge point but some people may get good at estimating and contact their group member waiting outside of the merge point and tell them to join the Lightning Lane 5-10 minutes before they will arrive at the merge point in the standby line (maybe really hard to estimate this though due to the way standby moves thanks to Lightning Lane guests being preferred).

The other way it could happen is if you lets say you are in standby and need to use the restroom and when returning are allowed to use the Lightning Lane to meet your party, if you did this 30 minutes into a 60 minute wait and it only takes you 5 minutes to use the restroom and return, you may arrive at the merge point before the rest of your group in the standby line, and thus you'd be waiting for them - so you wouldn't be skipping the Lightning Lane in this situation either, the expectation is you'd want the 10-15 minutes it takes to get to the merge point.

Understand you were just going to the Lost and Found, but someone participating in AQR would not do this.

What I would like to better understand here is if Disney is supposedly basing this on need and not diagnosis then why is Disney naming any diagnoses at all on their end? Even if a guest mentions one, shouldn't they then be redirecting back to need rather than diagnosis?

this experiences concerns me for us when we get here. I have never shared DD's diagnosis name because no one - neither the CM nor the IHA employee - will know what it is, it's incredibly rare. I've always been concerned it would heighten someone's likelihood to think we are making it up. But now I'm slightly (not a lot) concerned that focusing on the generic problem and needs won't be enough to be understood and Disney's side of the call will revert to diagnosis naming because it's part of the script.
A lot of people (me included) think that autism was specifically mentioned because of the lawsuit that started when DAS was introduced and was finally settled not long ago. The lawsuit started to be planned before the change was even made and most of the plaintiffs never tried DAS; they just maintained that only the older GAC (Guest Assitance Card) would work for them.

A diagnosis really means little, even a common one, because pretty much every condition is on a spectrum from minimally to highly affected. The important thing to be ready to discuss is what are your concerns related to waiting in the regular lines.
From my experience, if diagnosis is brought up, the CMs go back to "what are your concerns with waiting in the regular line?"

The T&Cs for DAS does not say you cannot record, so it is not part of the T&Cs you agree to. It is just mentioned on the DAS page.

Here is what it says, it almost seems like they are trying to tell you that Disney will not record the call - but obviously it is written in a way that suggests you shouldn't record it either:

With that said, Disney can ban you from their parks for any reason. It is private property after all. They could ban you for recording when they asked you not to, even if it isn't in the T&Cs or legally binding. So not recommending anyone record the conversation and publish it or send it to anyone at Disney. Making sure you remove any identifying information about yourself and sharing it with the press? Maybe :)

For AQR, I don't think that you are meant to bypass people in the Lightning Lane to meet your party at the merge point. Assuming you are waiting outside of the line for the entirety of your group's standby wait and meeting at the merge point - You are meant to wait in the shorter wait Lightning Lane to meet up with your party. The rest of your group is meant to contact you when they arrive at the merge point but some people may get good at estimating and contact their group member waiting outside of the merge point and tell them to join the Lightning Lane 5-10 minutes before they will arrive at the merge point in the standby line (maybe really hard to estimate this though due to the way standby moves thanks to Lightning Lane guests being preferred).

The other way it could happen is if you lets say you are in standby and need to use the restroom and when returning are allowed to use the Lightning Lane to meet your party, if you did this 30 minutes into a 60 minute wait and it only takes you 5 minutes to use the restroom and return, you may arrive at the merge point before the rest of your group in the standby line, and thus you'd be waiting for them - so you wouldn't be skipping the Lightning Lane in this situation either, the expectation is you'd want the 10-15 minutes it takes to get to the merge point.

Understand you were just going to the Lost and Found, but someone participating in AQR would not do this.
NVM, my brain is melting.

Last edited:
I saw this as well on another site, Sue. It acts as a kind of rollator/wheelchair that helps lift the individual. When we get back from FL, I will ask my doc if it would work for me:
View attachment 862811
Interesting device. I haven't seen that one, but it looks like it would be helpful for quite a few people.
There are a lot more innovative products now than in the past.

A lot of people (me included) think that autism was specifically mentioned because of the lawsuit that started when DAS was introduced and was finally settled not long ago. The lawsuit started to be planned before the change was even made and most of the plaintiffs never tried DAS; they just maintained that only the older GAC (Guest Assitance Card) would work for them.

A diagnosis really means little, even a common one, because pretty much every condition is on a spectrum from minimally to highly affected. The important thing to be ready to discuss is what are your concerns related to waiting in the regular lines.
From my experience, if diagnosis is brought up, the CMs go back to "what are your concerns with waiting in the regular line?"
I'm not talking about the website or autism, though. I'm talking about the post I quoted where *on the call* they kept referring to the poster's ulcerative colitis as IBS despite the poster correcting them repeatedly.

Why would Disney refer to the diagnosis in this situation? Why wouldn't they redirect to the concerns as you note, but the poster who shared his first person experience here clearly indicated they did not do on their call.

As I've said - I'm able and ready to refer to her needs. But if I then get questioned about a diagnosis based on their script, as appears to have happened in that first person report, then that's where my concern lies.

I'm not talking about the website or autism, though. I'm talking about the post I quoted where *on the call* they kept referring to the poster's ulcerative colitis as IBS despite the poster correcting them repeatedly.

Why would Disney refer to the diagnosis in this situation? Why wouldn't they redirect to the concerns as you note, but the poster who shared his first person experience here clearly indicated they did not do on their call.

As I've said - I'm able and ready to refer to her needs. But if I then get questioned about a diagnosis based on their script, as appears to have happened in that first person report, then that's where my concern lies.
I'm not sure from what she posted whether she talked about her needs or started with her diagnosis. I didn't see anything about whether they tried to ask about concerns, just that they were referring to IBS and she was correcting them. She would need to clarify that.

Unfortunately for people who do have ulcerative colitis, Crohns and IBS, anything having to do with sudden or frequent bathroom use became the TikTok/Reddit conditions of choice for scammers to claim they had. That means people who actually have those conditions are probably getting more scrutiny

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter