DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

Does anyone have any experience with getting a DAS pass for medical reasons.
I get what you’re saying, and I agree, people will need to decide, given the new accommodations, whether the value is still there. For my sister, who did have a DAS previously for Chron’s, leave the line or rider switch will be fine, as it doesn’t bother her or the rest of is to be separated during the time in line; for others, that might be a deal breaker.

At the same time, non-disabled guests make those same calculations as well, albeit for different reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve gone so far down the rabbit hole here that I can’t remember where I saw this. I think it was on this thread. Anyway, I’ve search elsewhere to verify and haven’t been able to. Here goes…

Someone posted that the new DAS, if you are approved, will actually include all the members on your trip (from you Friends and Family list), but only 4 can ride on any one DAS reservation. Something about Travel Party vs. Ride Party.

I’m only asking because we are a family of five with the same last name and address, but I am the aunt, not the parent or sibling. The above scenario would at least allow me to ride some of the time with my autistic nephew. Anyone see anything that would indicate this to be the case? TIA!

Wasn’t that always the case but with a higher limit? We would travel with extended family and I remember my wife taking our niece and nephews into line with DAS, but we didn’t have enough slots to take everyone so SIL and I would sit out.

We are an aging population that were the number of people who are going to have mobility issues is just starting to explode in numbers due to all of the people from the "boomer" generation. In a few years if everyone who had some type of physical limitation for walking or standing in line was given a pass I think the entire DAS program will be an absolute mess. As information only, I am one of those boomers and I do have some mobility issues.
Yep. It’s a great thing when access is already built in for any and all, so people with those needs don’t need to do anything differently.

This isn't the same thing, I know, but my son has a tendency to overheat in the heat. So, we plan our trips around queues. If a queue is mostly indoors in AC, we do those during the hot part of the day. For example, Soarin' and Living with the Land are both good to do in the hot part of the day if you're looking to avoid heat, even if the lines are long. If there is a ride we really want to do that has a lot of sun, then we do that very early or late in the day.

We also pack a portable UV umbrella for shade, cooling fever patches, cooling towels, fans, etc. We plan usually one sit down meal a day and during the hottest part of the day (like 2pm or 3pm, or after the parade at MK), that way we are in the AC for a long break in the hot part of the day. A lot of people choose to go back to their hotel for the hottest part of the day, too.
This. My youngest child has MS, so heat can quickly become an issue if we aren’t prepared and if we don’t plan well. Cooling vest, small fan, outside queues during cooler hours, Genie+/ILL whenever possible all make it possible for us to have full days in the park .

I realize that it doesn’t work for everyone, but for us, at this point, it’s fine. If additional accommodations were needed, rider switch would be a great option for us, if available, as being in line is just a small part of the vacation, so being together in line is not a must for us.

If you have needs that impact your ability to be in a standard queue environment, the hearing impairment won’t preclude you from qualifying for DAS. If the hearing is your only need, I’m not sure why you couldn’t be in the standard queue. I don’t say that to be rude, and maybe there is an implication I didn’t realize. Which is why diagnosis isn’t the determining factor but rather explaining the individual’s needs.

Does anyone have any experience with getting a DAS pass for medical reasons.
My grandmother has type 1 diabetes and really struggles in the heat. Have also been many times with small children. Never considered DAS for this tbh but we have found some things that have helped. Bear in mind that we go for 14 days so don’t need to take the parks too hard to get everything in.

1. We avoid outdoor queues in the middle of the daytime, saving those for Genie plus, extra deluxe magic hours or just away from the middle of the day.

2. UV umbrellas are a godsend and you wouldn’t believe how much difference they make until you try them. Especially useful for parades.

3. Those small hand held fans and the cooling towels seem to work really well, you can often re-dip your towel in the large ice containers used to hold the spray fans they sell.

4. Visiting in the cooler parts of the year is also a massively different experience than July and August if you have the option.

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone asked about return to line on one of the Facebook groups and someone posted their experiences:

When I went, I exited the line and had to find the nearest cm, tell them I’m leaving, they asked if I had a concern to leave the queue for and what was it (not even sure if they can actually ask for my medical concerns???)
Then left, came back through lightning lane and had to wait for my party to meet at the “merge point” where lightning lane and standby meet. If my party gets there before me they are expected to wait around there for me to join them for us to all ride together.

The second time I used this, the cm just asked if i needed to leave the line and didn’t push for a medical reason explanation like the other did. Every attraction is diff with how many cm are around and such and how their policy is with this return to queue. Guest relations unfortunately m do not have answers and tell you to talk to the cast at the attraction as each attraction has its own policies and such.

Note as well: not all cm have the device to administer the return to queue, you may be directed to another cm who can assist if the first cm doesn’t have.

Second note: this is very new so many cm still learning and lots of adjustments etc. I hope there is more clear policies with how this will work and all cm can be trained and on the same page to make it smoother. I’m curious how this will adjust as time goes on and such.

The same person also appears to have spoke to a medical professional about the reasoning for this on their call:

yes unfortunately the health professionals state that emergencies can happen even using das lightning lane :( that’s why they don’t offer it anymore. I don’t Agree with the process they have rn but it is what it is right now. I hope they drastically improve this process and the system of obtaining a das soon :(

Thankfully I’ve seen reports of DAS users being turned away for being late at Tron, since they usually don’t let non-DAS users ride late unless they have some kind of conflict.

Not sure where you have collected your info on previous DAS users being turned away if late for a return time.

Let me take you to a place wherein a DAS user is late to return, specifically due to their needs causing a delay. Many deal with downtime in the parks routinely while trying to regroup & resume their day.

That sort of situation is not at all uncommon & it’s not a conflict, it’s life.

Are there people who abuse this? Probably the same ones who game the system in the first place.

Curious, and apologies if this has been covered. Why couldn’t Disney just require a doctors note or prefilled form from a physician requesting DAS based on medical need? This way a medical professional is on record of the need, and Disney doesn’t have to make these tough judgments themselves? Keep the time period limited so it would need to be renewed periodically. These would seem to be the easiest and most effective way to weed out the frauds hurting the system, while the truly disabled get accommodations
I wouldn’t mind getting this info for them at all. However, I would feel slightly weird asking my doc for this. Qualifying for disability? Sure. Being excused from jury duty? Absolutely. A note saying I can’t stand in line for rides? Meh...feels weird

I dunno….just seems like a lot to ask from our docs. I get it though. If they want proof, I can get it. I do think something tangible that we already have should suffice

On another note…how sad that there are so many tutorials on how to abuse DAS. I hate that those abusers have potentially taken away the ability for so many of us to qualify honestly. I’m holding out hope that I will qualify when I need to apply again in July. I am gutted though from some of the stories I am seeing from others…especially the ones involving children. Fingers crossed Disney adjusts as time moves on🤞🤞🤞

If I understand correctly, this is available to everyone. Now, let me play this out for you as devil's advocate. Family of five Mom, Dad, 13ish year old kid and a sevenish and five year old. Mom says to Dad, hey you guys wait here in the space mountain line while I take the two younger ones to the bathroom (aka Dumbo and barnstormer). Mom tells the cast member they need to use the bathroom, takes the two younger kids to the bathroom and then comes back 50 mins later to join the 13 year old and the Dad with the other two kids. Genius F'n plan disney. This will be more abused than DAS was.
I was just about to comment about this exact situation, large parties are totally going to split up in long lineups and ride an attraction and come back because there is a huge focus on AQR being pushed on former DAS guests and CMs will be trained to allow it more without question

In this scenario, who is harmed by Mom taking two kids on other rides instead of making them stand in line and complain? And what five year old is going on Space Mountain? You need to be seven.
My daughter was 5 last August (turning 6 in October) and she rode Space mountain, just FYI, so hypothetical story checks out lol

No, you need to be 40" tall. There is no age requirement. Don't know where 7 came from. EDIT: RESEARCHED. You must be 7 to ride in a cart alone.

Who is harmed? The families behind them. The people in Barnstormer are now waiting behind them just as the people in space mountain are waiting behind them. The family is literally in two places at once.
and it's 44" just to clarify as well

I was just about to comment about this exact situation, large parties are totally going to split up in long lineups and ride an attraction and come back because there is a huge focus on AQR being pushed on former DAS guests and CMs will be trained to allow it more without question
100% the scammers will keep on scamming. However, the beatings will continue for the disabled until morale improves

Yes!! Thank you, thank you. At least I now remember it came from a recent DAS interview with a CM, which means it’s a possibility, depending…lol
That was my post! Yes, all 5 should definitely be able to be part of the travel party and then swap out which 4 are in the riding party.

Wasn’t that always the case but with a higher limit? We would travel with extended family and I remember my wife taking our niece and nephews into line with DAS, but we didn’t have enough slots to take everyone so SIL and I would sit out.
That is correct. Nothing has changed in that aspect, but I made my post because I’ve seen a lot of confusion on whether this would be the case on the new version of DAS.

I also wanted to highlight that you no longer need a reservation with other AP holders from your family and friends list to add them to your travel party in the interview. But if that was already the case, the CM is now specifically requesting that you add all potential members during the interview.

It’s not clear that this would be considered abuse. It is literally the same system as current DAS except some fraction of guests must remain in line, so Disney has eliminated 50-90% of the people in the LL, even if 10-50% of the people go watch a show in an air conditioned room. We need to wait for reports, but my guess is AQR staff won’t let one person waiting in line have 5 people return.
Who is a CM to say that those said 5 people didn't have a "serious" situation arise for leaving the line, can't assume, so yes, a party of 6 could technically get away with it if they want, they would have to be smart not to leave all at once or come back all at once

DAS hack, could potentially be replaced with using a sacrificial guest that does the bulk of the waiting in queues (want to go hardcore put a non-rider there, while riders are busy riding rides and show up and merge back) I'm sure abusers will master the AQR system to a T, and all the while disabled guests are taking the hit

I am feeling charitable today but, perhaps the “hold it” comment was meant as “you may not be aware of how close you are to the front of the queue. If you stay here you will be able to ride and exit within 5 minutes. Would that work for you instead of exiting now and holding up your party, or riding without them?”

People have different tolerances for how long they can wait after feeling like they need to go to the bathroom, and if one is unfamiliar with the queues it’s quite possible not to know how much longer it will be. This very much happened to us the first time we rode Hagrids. 30 more minutes - may as well go now so that I can definitely rejoin my party - vs 5 minutes but OH MY GOSH I HAVE TO GO! - are very different problems. Also my niece can apparently “hold it” for hours after she first starts acting like she needs to pee whereas for my son for years the window was under a minute (and thus had to be managed proactively).

Disney CMs can’t read minds, so what may seem obvious to the guest isn’t necessarily true for all. S/he wasn’t requiring anyone to “hold it.” S/he was just giving guest the information to make an informed decision.

I once had to take my daughter to the bathroom FROM the boarding zone on safari. The CM could not have been more gracious about it, and I highly doubt that attitude has changed.
do not underestimate the severity of IBS/IBD conditions, it's not a tolerance, it is medical conditions that prevent them from having control, I don't want to reveal too much details, but that comment of "holding it" is a degrading comment to anyone who suffers those conditions, excuse me can you just hold off your heart attack, you're almost on the ride

do not underestimate the severity of IBS/IBD conditions, it's not a tolerance, it is medical conditions that prevent them from having control, I don't want to reveal too much details, but that comment of "holding it" is a degrading comment to anyone who suffers those conditions, excuse me can you just hold off your heart attack, you're almost on the ride
Chron's/colitis as well. You can't wait. Your body 100% does not care if you're in a line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter