DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

Exactly. ADA.gov is just a web address that provides info about the ADA and provides a number to the DoJ…
Let it die already.
Beating A Dead Horse GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

I do personnally use a scooter only while at Disney - don't need one (yet) for home (someday will), but absolutely cannot put in exersion of walking that much daily at Disney. I reserve/pay for one with an outside vendor who drops and picks up at the resort.

However, I have never applied for DAS for other than my neurodivergent needs - in some cases the scooter has actually helped me cope with those, but sometimes has also been an amplifier. Every situation is different.

I do personnally use a scooter only while at Disney - don't need one (yet) for home (someday will), but absolutely cannot put in exersion of walking that much daily at Disney. I reserve/pay for one with an outside vendor who drops and picks up at the resort.
We have a good friend who is morbidly obese and renting a scooter for him when we went to WDW with him was a game changer. It made the trip better for everyone and allowed us to keep up a decent pace without him feeling like it was too much.

If anyone is wavering between not going or getting a scooter now they don't qualify for DAS anymore I highly recommend the scooter. Its really easy and inclusive.

Guests can apply for DAS as soon as 30 days in advance of their first park day.
If you can wait, I'd recommend waiting at least a week to let things settle down.

It was somewhat chaotic at first when GAC (Guest Assistance Card) changed to DAS in 2013 and again when advance video registration was introduced to DAS a few years ago. Things settled down after a few weeks

We have a good friend who is morbidly obese and renting a scooter for him when we went to WDW with him was a game changer. It made the trip better for everyone and allowed us to keep up a decent pace without him feeling like it was too much.

If anyone is wavering between not going or getting a scooter now they don't qualify for DAS anymore I highly recommend the scooter. Its really easy and inclusive.
Am I not understanding you? Were you expecting your friend to get DAS with using a scooter or were there other issues?

I'm so sorry to hear this happened. Instead of cancelling immediately I suggest taking a few days or a week, let the dust settle while you re-evaluate your request. I have heard of folks getting DAS on a 2nd call. One thing I think is key is that "autism" alone will not qualify and the explanation of need must be specific to waiting in a standard queue environment. Mention of school needs, mild vs severe, etc. won't check the boxes. It's highly possible some folks getting denied this week have been a little slack on their request in the past because detail wasn't required. I'm not saying this was you and please don't repeat what was said on the call, but as a general note they are looking for specifics more than in the past.

And, I honestly think they will give more credence to complaints that tried to get resolution -- either by way of a 2nd video chat or in-person in the parks -- especially if the individual can then show specific examples of when/where/why/how the alternative doesn't work.
I think this is a really good point. Even in the old system we had different experiences when calling. The first time it was actually a relatively long call where we had to go over exactly what the concerns were in line, how it was a problem for us, those around us, etc...We actually werent really even prepared for those questions though the CM was able to walk us through what they were looking to hear us describe beyond "we have this diagnosis". But we also had other times where it was a 30 second approval process and we could have said anything. Sometimes describing the why can actually be pretty difficult when you are not prepared for that conversation and that may be a big issue right now where people are used to just saying "I have this" when they have to be prepared to explain why the accommodation is needed. Most people are probably better prepared for a 2nd call.

I
Am I not understanding you? Were you expecting your friend to get DAS with using a scooter or were there other issues?
I think that what @BingoJoe was saying was that the friend was having issues keeping up with the others in the group, and that getting them a scooter it took care of the problem and made the trips much better for everyone. I didn't see that his friend was trying to get DAS, but he was saying that if others were denied, perhaps a scooter could help with part of the issues.... At least that's the way I read it.

Yep, Disney World is so different from everyday life, and a scooter can improve a visit so much, even for someone who never normally uses one (my MIL took a lot of persuading).

I was relaying that my personal experience of scooters was good so if someone has a mobility issue that they used to accommodate with DAS and now won’t, people should give a scooter a shot.
For several years, my DH hobbled with knee pain, finally got a wheelchair. I pushed him for a few trips most of the time and he walking part of the time holding onto wheelchair. Took off a few years with covid, starting again, his ability to walk was greatly reduced. I told him, I'm getting too old to push anymore. Got scooter, first 30 mins, an snail moved faster, but he got the hang of it. Only issue we had was making a 27 point turn in a DVC studio and a waste basket got broken. We now stay in 1 bedrooms.

Was it on this thread where someone posted a phone# you could call to find out in advance if you would be eligible for DAS? I'm watching too many threads, I think!!! :)

You are not answering the question, which is why it seems like you might be making something up. As pp mention the ADA is not an agency, it is a law. It sounds like you called the Department of Justice. If you had just said you called DOJ there would not have been an issue.

A different example would be if you have questions about the affordable care act (ACA), you could contact Health and Human Services (HHS). ACA is the law, HHS is the agency.
I didn't realize that the ADA was under the DOJ. This is another screenshot of my call from yesterday. I'm sure it won't be enough but after this, I'm done. I don't have to prove anything but I hate that a couple of posters are calling me a liar.

Attachments

• Call.jpeg
    Call.jpeg
    24.2 KB · Views: 20
A few years back we were at Disney the same time as a co worker/friend at least 18 year relationship. We were NOT on the DAS. She has a son divorced her boyfriend has a son that definitely and clearly will get a DAS. They bought Genie+ as well as ILL I asked why…… it was very clear a day in their time in the park was limited and they wanted to go on as much as possible as they were already buying tickets and a suite for 5. I saw them all of once in the parks briefly in EPCOT. We spoke by phone many times through the trip…
On the flip side I have seen on a few occasions when a park got crowded people walking off the same ride we were on say there is a blue umbrella we need to get DAS we are not waiting…. There was plenty of abuse there is just no other explanation through the years and more so recent why LL lines had just as many people and sometimes more then a regular line. I have personally gotten on rides faster in a standby then people on the LL lines on a few occasions.
There are enough who genuinely have a need and Disney will accommodate. One thing everyone needs to remember is every person in the parks pays the same some more based on genie+ and hotel. Disney has to make it fair for everyone. I am sure they are flooded with complaints of families getting on few rides because of the wait times for standby and inability to use genie+ as advertised. It is clear they did have to change how things are done.
My brother who we go with enough can write a legitimate IEP so truly providing such is not very difficult to come by if that was the only requirement. I will say nothing pisses him off more then to see some of the abuse of DAS and as said there are those who need it….. I hope Disney finds a way to reasonably accommodate all guests.

Guilty here. Yesterday got me so riled up in having the proverbial baby thrown out with the bathwater in doing the revamp.

It got me so angry that @lanejudy had to shoot a warning to me to have me reset, to which I thank you for that.

This. They read them. When DLR reopened post covid we had some issues with both DLR and DVC that the first team couldn't/wouldn't address. We escalated it the Chief of the divisions and their representative responded and we found a way forward.

Disney needs this feedback and specifics so that they can adjust their processes and get our community to continue to access Disney's product and they keeping us seen. If we don't, who will?
I'm just about to send mine. I'll report back as to any response. (Not necessarily specifically as to what the response is/was but more as to whether I got one and who from).

***Edit: I just want to add that I think that Disney has wildly underestimated how motivated those of us with Disabilities/Needs for accommodations are. I think that can be lost on the general public also. Every day or part of every day is a fight. We are not easily discouraged. We can't afford to be.

Many people live a lifestyle where a wheelchair isn't medically necessary (or simply can't get the cost covered through insurance) for day-to-day use, they can get damaged by airport staff during travel, etc.
There are a lot of things people buy to use on vacation -- or rent or borrow. Vacation typically brings much more expense than just airfare, hotels, meals, tickets. There are many vendors in the Orlando area who rent wheelchairs and/or ECVs for a decent price (much less than on-site in the parks). ECV and wheelchair aren't the only options, so anyone in this situation should investigate other mobility device options as well for what might work best for them. Rollators and Disney recently posted that "cane chairs" are allowed as well. That's where doing a video chat may be good even if one doesn't get DAS because they'll have time to plan ahead.

I was relaying that my personal experience of scooters was good so if someone has a mobility issue that they used to accommodate with DAS and now won’t, people should give a scooter a shot.
That's great for the people it helps. Doesn't do anything for people like my dad who took a long, slow road to get to DAS in the first place, over many years, trying not only scooters but everything short of standing on their heads to not need accommodations.

As far as I know, the only way to know for sure is to do the video chat -- which is available up to 30 days prior to planned arrival.
That is one of my other big issues with this process - does anyone else feel as though that 30 days window is to ensure people can't cancel their trips? You can't cancel even DVC reservations inside of 30 days without your points going into holding. The 30 day rule seems like a way to put people in an impossible situation.

That is one of my other big issues with this process - does anyone else feel as though that 30 days window is to ensure people can't cancel their trips? You can't cancel even DVC reservations inside of 30 days without your points going into holding. The 30 day rule seems like a way to put people in an impossible situation.
Maybe but I've seen 2 reports where people were turned down and get fully refunded no penalty

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter