D23 EXPO THREAD - See you in 2019!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at the schedule as it fills out - https://d23.com/d23-expo-2017-friday-july-14/

I see four main expo areas:

1. Hall D23
2. D23 Expo Arena
3. Stage 28
4. Walt Disney Archives Stage

If anyone has more information on these, I would love to hear about it. My first guess would be Hall D23 and Stage 28 are much like the 2015 Expo. If I recall, Hall D23 has capacity of 7,500 and Stage 28 was 2,500 and was somewhere upstairs.

The D23 Expo Arena seems new and my guess is that it is the main stadium arena used in 2011 and 2013 but not in 2015 - or at least not much (I do not remember any events there). If so, that would be awesome as I believe the arena can handle 6,000.

The Walt Disney Archives Stage? I am afraid I am have zero memory of this. From the D23 website it appears they had it in 2015. Where is it located? Any one know the capacity?

:wizard:

The arena is on the opposite side of Hall D23. They used it in 2013, for example for the Studios and Menken/Sherman concert. Stadium seating, and really nice, better than Hall D23 but smaller. It was under construction in 2015. You passed it on the outside line last year, at least I did on Sunday. the other days I was on the inside line.

This is my 4th Expo. My plans so far, are:

Friday: Floor, Parks Pavilion, Animation, Park Stars. I think I am safe for Animation as long as I line up by 11:30. Perhaps I will be able to sneak out and get a Stage Pass at 12:30 for Park Stars.

Saturday: THIS is my tough one. Live Action, Parks, Evolution of Pixar. OR Princess, Parks, Pixar. I think Princess/Parks is totally doable, as you would get out before Live Action, and beat those people to the Parks line. Last time, I did do Live Action/Parks. I am tempted to try it again, but worried I will miss Parks. I RAN to the Parks line, it was outside, then went to Hall E. (And again, may try to slip off the line for a stage Pass for Pixar.) Ambitious to try for 3 panels in a day, but I have done it. Means no floor time Saturday.

Sunday: Hercules, Voices of the Parks. Get stage pass at 9 am for Voices. Hercules is in the Arena, and IF they are using whole space, should be easy enough to get into. I should be able to see the floor and maybe shop on Sunday. I have moved shopping to a low priority because the lines are crazy, I have waited for hours and bought nothing. I like panels the best, my preference.

I saw Voices in 2013 and loved it. I saw Menken before, it was excellent but will skip this time. I have a red eye back to east coast, and will miss Sunday late offerings. Will arrive Fri and Sat mornings 3-4 am, I hope. Walking over from Paradise Pier.

1. Hall D23
2. D23 Expo Arena
3. Stage 28
4. Walt Disney Archives Stage

If anyone has more information on these, I would love to hear about it.

The confirmed information is that Hall D23 will be the same as last year and will be located in Hall D of the convention center and has been confirmed to seat 6800 people. The D23 Arena is located next to Hall A and will most likely be accessible from there and has been confirmed that it will seat 3400 people.

What has not been confirmed is where Stage 28 and the Archives Stage will be. The following is my speculation:
As there is no Stage 23 this year I would guess that Stage 28 would take its place. In that case it will be located on the 3rd floor and will seat approximately 2000 people.
With Stage 28 moving to the third floor that would free up Stage 28's previous room which would become the Archives Stage, seating 750-1,000 people (Up from the 275 at the last expo).

I received my passes in the mail today! Anyone else?

I am a gold member, but they don't say gold member anywhere on them. Are they supposed to?

I'll be checking my mail more often now since more people seem to be receiving their passes! I am a gold member as well so i'll report back if mine have any special designation/label.

Can anyone with previous StagePass experience comment on how easy/hard it is to obtain a pass for a show? Thinking about doing the voices and legends of imagineering panels and it'll be my first year interacting with StagePass. How early do people line up to obtain a pass? I understand the 11-2:30pm shows start distributing at 9am with the remainder of the shows going out at a later time.

Saturday: THIS is my tough one. Live Action, Parks, Evolution of Pixar. OR Princess, Parks, Pixar. I think Princess/Parks is totally doable, as you would get out before Live Action, and beat those people to the Parks line. Last time, I did do Live Action/Parks. I am tempted to try it again, but worried I will miss Parks. I RAN to the Parks line, it was outside, then went to Hall E. (And again, may try to slip off the line for a stage Pass for Pixar.) Ambitious to try for 3 panels in a day, but I have done it. Means no floor time Saturday.

I don't think doing Live Action/Parks should be a big issue. There was the surge after the Live Action panel due to the exiting people getting into the Parks line, but I don't think capacity became an issue. I do plan on doing Live Action/Parks as well.

Last edited:
The confirmed information is that Hall D23 will be the same as last year and will be located in Hall D of the convention center and has been confirmed to seat 6800 people. The D23 Arena is located next to Hall A and will most likely be accessible from there and has been confirmed that it will seat 3400 people.

What has not been confirmed is where Stage 28 and the Archives Stage will be. The following is my speculation:
As there is no Stage 23 this year I would guess that Stage 28 would take its place. In that case it will be located on the 3rd floor and will seat approximately 2000 people.
With Stage 28 moving to the third floor that would free up Stage 28's previous room which would become the Archives Stage, seating 750-1,000 people (Up from the 275 at the last expo).
Thanks!

I do not doubt you for a minute, but am curious where you found this? I have been reading news on the Expo and keeping an eye in their website and have not seen this.

Thanks!

I do not doubt you for a minute, but am curious where you found this? I have been reading news on the Expo and keeping an eye in their website and have not seen this.

I basically just carefully read the press releases.

Here was where they said Hall D23 was 6800 seats
https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...2/1493229291617/2017_04_21_HALL_D23_Final.pdf
Here was where they said the D23 Arena was 3400 seats
https://static1.squarespace.com/sta.../1497547100763/2017_06_15_DCPI_Expo_FINAL.pdf

Just takes a little bit of sluething :smooth:

I am a gold member, but they don't say gold member anywhere on them. Are they supposed to?
I am a gold member also and mine just says Event Guest. This is probably because there is no priority entrance to the showfloor for D23 members this year, so there was no need for distinction on the badges.
Also it will make it easier to sort actual D23 members from D23 member guests as you will have to show your card to get the D23 perk of priority seating.

I received my passes in the mail today! Anyone else?

I am a gold member also and mine just says Event Guest. This is probably because there is no priority entrance to the showfloor for D23 members this year, so there was no need for distinction on the badges.
Also it will make it easier to sort actual D23 members from D23 member guests as you will have to show your card to get the D23 perk of priority seating.

I recently upgraded my membership and asked this specific question. I was told that the event passes would be general and you would need to show your membership card for any Gold member perks.

For people who have been in the past...

-If I'm only concerned about shopping in the Mickey's of Glendale store what is the best way to go about that? I'm planning on lining up early the first day to get in but I don't have any early morning panels. Should I try for a store pass? http://d23expohelpandhowto.blogspot.com/2017/06/we-have-2017-d23-expo-storepass.html

I'm not really concerned about any limited edition merchandise, I just want a few Imagineering items. I usually wear a size medium (not sure if that is a popular size that sells out, if any sell out). I won't be able to line up early for the store Saturday, but maybe Sunday. What is the best strategy? Shop pass on the first day or can you just wander into the stores later on Sunday?

-How does saving a spot in line work? I'm planning on camping out in line for Live Action and Parks. I think I've heard something about receiving a wristband or some other indicator. When does this occur? I assume everyone has to be in line to get one. Can we save spots for people and let them go roam once that is given out?

-If I'm only concerned about shopping in the Mickey's of Glendale store what is the best way to go about that? I'm planning on lining up early the first day to get in but I don't have any early morning panels. Should I try for a store pass? http://d23expohelpandhowto.blogspot.com/2017/06/we-have-2017-d23-expo-storepass.html

I'm not really concerned about any limited edition merchandise, I just want a few Imagineering items. I usually wear a size medium (not sure if that is a popular size that sells out, if any sell out). I won't be able to line up early for the store Saturday, but maybe Sunday. What is the best strategy? Shop pass on the first day or can you just wander into the stores later on Sunday?
I am not the best person to answer this so hopefully someone else comes along and responds. While I have gotten StagePasses, I have not gotten a StorePass. I would imagine if you were to get a Pass you have the issue of what time it is for and whether it conflicts with a session you want to be in. You always can just wait it out for the store without a pass. I think it might be an hour to get into the stores.

-How does saving a spot in line work? I'm planning on camping out in line for Live Action and Parks. I think I've heard something about receiving a wristband or some other indicator. When does this occur? I assume everyone has to be in line to get one. Can we save spots for people and let them go roam once that is given out?
For the major events like Live Action Movies and Parks/Resorts, the last Expo they walked everyone into the waiting area downstairs and guided you into a snaking line marked by tape on the floor. This was very well organized. They gave out a wrist band to each person in line. Once you were in line then you sat down to wait it out for several hours. If you are with a group, then leave someone behind to hold the spot and have the others go out to explore the Expo (and maybe shop). If you are solo (I did solo in 2011) then you are in luck you are in line with lots of mostly friendly Disney fans from all over the country and world. Just make friends with the folks next to you and ask them to save your spot. Leave behind a bag or item of yours to identify you were there. Just be careful to find out when the line might move into the Hall so you are back in plenty of time. It is not that hard really if they follow 2015 which I believe they are.

Here is some more advice / experience about Live Action and Parks from 2015. Get to the ACC by 6AM Saturday morning and find the line to get into Live Action (which starts at 10AM). This queue starts at 10PM the night before I believe and there will be some overnight folks there. There may be a separate line outside ACC to get into Live Action than the normal line to get into the ACC. Make sure you ask questions. Once you find the line they will guide you to the waiting area for Live Action. You should be in pretty good position to get a decent seat if you arrive at 6AM.

Here is the next trick. Once Live Action ends (around Noon) you want to exit the Hall and immediately get in line for Parks and Resorts (3PM). I cheat to the back of the Hall at the end of Live Action so I can get a jump to the queue for Parks. Depends where you are sitting. You may want to get up near the end and move towards the back and watch the Live Action final parts from the back of the Hall. Once the session ends move quickly out of the Hall and back to the same queue area you used that morning for Live Action. And get in line for Parks. Once you have you spot for parks you are set.

With the D23 Expo gaining in Popularity each year do you guys think there is enough time to do the Live ACtion one in HALL D23 and still get in line (with enough room left) for the afternoon Parks and Resorts Panel in HALL D23?

Last expo in 2015, Mickeys of Glendale did not have StorePass. Did they include in the StorePass list this year? I lined up at 6:30a to be at the front of the GA floor admission line, I still had to wait about an hour and a half to get into the store itself as the line had already been filled from the Gold members that got in an hour before the GA admission. Since there's no early admission for Gold members this year perhaps following what I did should work even better.

Here is some more advice / experience about Live Action and Parks from 2015. Get to the ACC by 6AM Saturday morning and find the line to get into Live Action (which starts at 10AM). This queue starts at 10PM the night before I believe and there will be some overnight folks there. There may be a separate line outside ACC to get into Live Action than the normal line to get into the ACC. Make sure you ask questions. Once you find the line they will guide you to the waiting area for Live Action. You should be in pretty good position to get a decent seat if you arrive at 6AM.

Here is the next trick. Once Live Action ends (around Noon) you want to exit the Hall and immediately get in line for Parks and Resorts (3PM). I cheat to the back of the Hall at the end of Live Action so I can get a jump to the queue for Parks. Depends where you are sitting. You may want to get up near the end and move towards the back and watch the Live Action final parts from the back of the Hall. Once the session ends move quickly out of the Hall and back to the same queue area you used that morning for Live Action. And get in line for Parks. Once you have you spot for parks you are set.

Hmm, in 2015 the line was capped off around 6am so i'd say planning to arrive at that time would be a little risky.

With the D23 Expo gaining in Popularity each year do you guys think there is enough time to do the Live ACtion one in HALL D23 and still get in line (with enough room left) for the afternoon Parks and Resorts Panel in HALL D23?

Yes, it should be doable. Just be aware that you will likely need to line up for the Live Action panel in the early morning so come prepared. You will need to head straight to the Parks line as soon as you get out of the Live Action panel.

Last expo in 2015, Mickeys of Glendale did not have StorePass. Did they include in the StorePass list this year? I lined up at 6:30a to be at the front of the GA floor admission line, I still had to wait about an hour and a half to get into the store itself as the line had already been filled from the Gold members that got in an hour before the GA admission. Since there's no early admission for Gold members this year perhaps following what I did should work even better.

Yes Mickey's of Glendale is listed on that site as having a store pass. Hopefully that info is accurate.

Yes Mickey's of Glendale is listed on that site as having a store pass. Hopefully that info is accurate.

Ah yes, I just checked on the official D23 website and it did have MoG for StorePass in 2015. I must be remembering incorrectly. I would have avoided StorePass anyways that day as I wanted to get into the Parks panel and the time slots for StorePass were 12p-5p.

In that case, I would recommend a StorePass as the normal line moves very slowly. You can try to wander into the stores late on Sunday but a lot of merchandise/sizes may have sold through by then. I have my shopping day set for Friday to get it out of the way first and there are not many panels that catch my attention that day. Saturday will be the busiest day of the weekend as well so lines will be longer that day.

As for waiting for the Live Action, I have not heard anything about a wristband or number system but I have not waited for the Live Action panel previously so someone else might have more info. You can save spots for people in your party while they go out for food/restroom/etc.

I just discovered a great youtube series (originally posted by people on the D23 facebook page). Youtube search for 'Christian Millan d23'. Once you wade past all the Christina Millian videos he has a really good video series that really breaks down each aspect of the expo. I highly recommend it and I'm watching it right now.

I just discovered a great youtube series (originally posted by people on the D23 facebook page). Youtube search for 'Christian Millan d23'. Once you wade past all the Christina Millian videos he has a really good video series that really breaks down each aspect of the expo. I highly recommend it and I'm watching it right now.

Agreed. His series is perfect for first-time (and even experienced) D23 attendees. He does a fabulous job of giving specific guidance about the lines/stores, etc. I had no idea the shopping situation was so complicated, but Christian breaks it down nicely. (I've been to every expo, mainly for the major hall events.)

Hello all! Long time lurker as I am a Disneyland addict, and not sure if this is the proper place to post this but was hoping maybe i'd run into some blind luck. Basically i'm looking for a buddy (girl) to go D23+Disneyland with me for that weekend. My understanding is that the names are on the badges, and the person who I was originally going to with was named Chelsea, and unfortunately it would be hard for a guy to pull off being a Chelsea so here we are.

I was going to meet my long distance GF for the first time at D23, (I’m 29) until she broke off our relationship last week. But her loss is your gain! I don’t want to take the chance of selling the ticket (because i've heard there is a small chance they will check to make sure the badge name matches the person who goes in), and I can also use the companionship of a friend after the heartbreak and the like.

Here was what I was planning on doing if this sounds like its of any interest to you:

Friday: kind of just playing it by ear? I want to go to the animation panel (presentations for Wreck it Ralph 2, Coco) in the main hall but since it takes place at 3 PM, I’m worried about wasting my entire day in line there and not fully exploring the floor.

Saturday: So I was planning on for sure camping out for the live panel on Saturday with Marvel/Star Wars/Disney Live action, but totally understand if camping out and potentially getting little sleep isn’t your thing.

I was also hoping to attend the Parks and Resorts panel (where they talk about whats coming to Disneyland & WDW in the near future) later in the day as well.

Sunday: Disneyland/CA Adventure Day! Have an additional park hopper as well. Was going to run over to Guardians to snag a fastpass and then prolly spend most of the day at Disneyland.

If you’re local, that’s awesome, but if not, I’m headed down from the San Fernando Valley and got a hotel room near the convention center if you’re ok with a roommate situation. Again apologies if posts like this are typically frowned upon, and I will be more than happy to take it down if its not OK. Thanks!

I found that too and have been slowly watching them over the last 2 week. So much good info.

I finally got the email for discounted Disneyland tickets so I got those. I'm flying in 2 1/2 days before the Expo starts and am hoping for another evening or two at Disneyland. I shall see how that goes. I'll be at DTD on my birthday for sure.

I've been reading the posts about how folks could do a morning panel and still get into the major Parks panel on Saturday so now I'm tempted to try it. My big fear is messing up and missing the Parks Panel since that's a big one for me - I love the Parks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter